Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/28/2016 11:13:21 AM EDT
About a month ago our washing machine started doing odd things; filling with all hot water when set to cold, filling with cold when set to hot, not filling at all.  I discovered it was a solenoid valve and bought a replacement for $6.99.  Fixed!  But my wife says to me, she still would prefer if we bought a new washer/dryer set.  She really likes the front load ones and ours look dated.  after all, she talked to the guy at the hardware store and he told her it was probably time for a new set - asshole!

Now in my mind, nothing is more utilitarian than a washer/dryer.  They are just appliances that make clothes clean.  So keeping one working for 7 dollars is totally logical when the alternative is spend a couple grand on new ones.

But thats not the end of it.  Last night our central air conditioning stopped working.  I did some research and discovered its the capacitor that kick starts the outside fan.  $16.99.  New one should arrive tomorrow.  I tell my wife i discovered that thankfully it was just a glorified battery and her response was "well it would have been nice to get a new air conditioner, everything in this house is getting old."

I understand women love spending money, and love spending their husbands money way more than earning their own and spending that, but do most womens love of 'nesting' trump common sense and logic to this degree?    Isnt this kind of like "your tires are worn out, time for a new car."?

On a side note, i once bought an invisible fence for our new puppy, it was a shock device he wore and inside of the house a transmitter you set the distance on.  It worked well and the dog learned the borders in about 2 weeks.  We got a second dog and i tried finding the device to no avail.  I asked monica if she'd seen it, she had.  She said she tried it recently and it didn't work anymore so she threw it in the trash.  I slapped my forehead, it takes batteries and i took the batteries out when we put it in storage.  It cost $150.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Speed Queen.

Women!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#2]
You married her!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, watch the checkbook like a hawk..........

Think of areas your wife likes to do or spend money in and tell her those areas will have to be cut if she wants new things to replace old things that work perfectly well but need a few cheap repairs occasionally.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I disagree with replacing the AC for a capacitor, and modern ones do not get as cold as the old refrigerant type, but a new washer and dryer can make a really big difference. We upgraded ours to a new samsung set, and I've ended up using the steam refresh more often than my wife to get my work clothes cleaned up if I don't feel like ironing. Not to mention our water and utility bill went down drastically and our clothes don't have that "old washer" smell to them anymore. And the new one is big enough where I can wash and dry all of our bedding in one load instead of two.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#6]
How old is the washer/dryer? How old is the HVAC?

While generally I agree with you, that crap can nickel and dime you to death. Sometimes it is better to replace it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine just asked me about refinancing the equity out of the house to put tile floors in and some other stuff. "Putting the equity back into the house." I told her if we can't afford to do it with cash then we're not doing it. Bitch, I'm not having a fucking payment for the rest of my life.

She's a CPA too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Separate bank accounts.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, you obviously married her for her child bearing abilities and not her brains.

So get busy and get your monies worth.......
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Good.

I wasnt the only ine.

OP,

"Monica, you like going barefoot? Cuz this is how you go barefooted"
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife is really cheap and never wants to spend money on anything. If I fix an appliance on the cheap I am her hero. On the other hand it can be frustrating when we need to spend money on something and she doesn't want to.

I would still take my wife over yours.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#12]
fuck she was ready to drop about $8k on your ass uh
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Are we married to the same person????

rear projection tv bulb goes out ($40 DIY fix) - her "time for a new tv"

She thinks the oven is not heating to the correct temp "time for a new oven" - ME - i have a good digital thermometer and it can be adjusted

Move into a new house..  only have a small push mower that takes about 4 to 5 hrs to mow yard (which Im the only one that mows).. I mention that I want to get a compact tractor (which she knew when we bought 10 acres that was the plan) very soon..  She breaks down hysterically "we have this great looking house and a 'gravel' driveway.. you can get a tractor when we pave the drive"  im slack jawed over her reaction..

brian
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#14]
My wife is borderline retarded.  She can somehow maintain a fulltime job but other than that, she's a mess.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I will fix everything and anything until it cannot be fixed.  Then it gets replaced.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My wife is really cheap and never wants to spend money on anything. If I fix an appliance on the cheap I am her hero. On the other hand it can be frustrating when we need to spend money on something and she doesn't want to.

View Quote

Everyone except this guys woman needs total money makeover.

They should be running for elected office if they are that hell bent on spending money.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#17]
No, my wife is very practical about things like that. One of the many things I love about her.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
same here

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My wife is borderline retarded.  She can somehow maintain a fulltime job but other than that, she's a mess.
View Quote

I wish mine had a FT job
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Tell her your guns are dirty, you need to buy new ones.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm no help. Sitting in my garage to be installed:

1 ea. gas stove w/ double oven
1 ea. convection microwave oven
1 ea. dishwasher

oh yeah, they're sitting next to a new lawnmower and chainsaw.

why does everything go kaflooey at the same time?

eta:
She really likes the front load ones and ours look dated. after all, she talked to the guy at the hardware store and he told her it was probably time for a new set - asshole!
View Quote

tell her a couple of your friends said the same thing about her but you think you'll keep her around anyway.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#23]
My wife spends far less $ than I do.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Every woman is at least a 4 crazy.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#25]

My A/C popped a run cap last month.  I pulled it & replaced it for 12 bucks.  The old one had a 1977 mfg date on it.   The wife was THRILLED that it could be fixed in hours for so little.

She loves her 12 year old washer & dryer - and would want me to fix anything that broke on them.  

Take a hard look at her spending.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#26]
My wife would rather have me fix things, but it must be done immediately or I'm a big old piece of shit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#27]
How old is wife?
Maybe she is broke and it's time for a new one But if saving money is the end goal this is not the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

She thinks the oven is not heating to the correct temp "time for a new oven" - ME - i have a good digital thermometer and it can be adjusted

Move into a new house..  only have a small push mower that takes about 4 to 5 hrs to mow yard (which Im the only one that mows).. I mention that I want to get a compact tractor (which she knew when we bought 10 acres that was the plan) very soon..  She breaks down hysterically "we have this great looking house and a 'gravel' driveway.. you can get a tractor when we pave the drive"  im slack jawed over her reaction..

brian
View Quote

You can pretty much get a new 65" 4k screen as thin as a piece of paper for the cost of that bulb, bro

and it will probably pay for itself in power savings alone in a month
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

My wife is the same. She has been lusting after some $90 kitchen appliance that will make her life and dinner easier. After hearing about this thing for a month, I told her to buy it. Still took her a week to decide that it was worth spending money on it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#30]

First thing I thought of too. I as going to post exactly this.

Fucking awesome!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#31]
And that's why I have a $1500 laundry set in the basement.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Tell her your guns are dirty, you need to buy new ones.
View Quote

great response
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How old is wife?
Maybe she is broke and it's time for a new one But if saving money is the end goal this is not the answer you seek.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Pics aren't loading.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

While generally I agree with you, that crap can nickel and dime you to death. Sometimes it is better to replace it.
View Quote

We built the house 13 yrs ago.  Hardware store guy said aplliances last 10-12 years.  We just replaced the microwave and refrigerator.  Kind of why im reluctant to spend more money unless absolutely necessary.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You can pretty much get a new 65" 4k screen as thin as a piece of paper for the cost of that bulb, bro

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

brian

Link to forty dollar 65" 4k TV, please?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#37]
When we where first wed I discovered my new bride was financially illiterate so I set up two seperate accounts. Whenever she pulled crap like that "fine but we are taking it out of your account." She's figured it out now and all is well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#38]
I think that you are hearing her, but not listening to her. She is telling you that she feels like everything around her is "stale" and "getting old". It's "not working" like it did when it was new. It's time for an upgrade.

My suggestion: take her out for a great dinner to a new place, then over to pick out a new washer and dryer. Make sure that SHE gets to pick them out, not you. Let her pick them based on whatever criteria she wishes - color, size, coolness factor - doesn't matter. Believe me, it will be money well spent.

Good luck, and best wishes!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#39]
On the surface, it seems like your wife doesn't like her house and appliances.  But deep down, what she doesn't like is you.

Sorry OP, you're gonna get ejected.  Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think that you are hearing her, but not listening to her. She is telling you that she feels like everything around her is "stale" and "getting old". It's "not working" like it did when it was new. It's time for an upgrade.

My suggestion: take her out for a great dinner to a new place, then over to pick out a new washer and dryer. Make sure that SHE gets to pick them out, not you. Let her pick them based on whatever criteria she wishes - color, size, coolness factor - doesn't matter. Believe me, it will be money well spent.

View Quote

Yeah right then it's on to the next thing that she feels sad about.  Women want attention but buying them things to shut them up?  That shit doesn't work long term.  Maybe it does if you have deep pockets.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You married her!
View Quote

That was my thought as well.  Seriously... did you date for a week before you got married?

I think with regards to those things, my fault (as I am an electrical and mechanical idiot) is that I believe that my hubby can fix everything (which he almost always can). Although our dryer door broke, so I ordered the part and fixed that myself as he was OOT.

I don't like spending large sums of money on shit that can be fixed easily. So all the womenz aren't illogical.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol

So next time she complains she gets a nice dinner before he bends over and gives her whatever she wants.

I'm glad my wife loves that I fix everything,  and we pretty much agree when certain things are worn out.

Earlier this summer our dryer finally died,  motor windings toast. Had a nice used Kirkland branded dryer off of CL for thirty bucks the next day,  and it still runs great.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#43]
My wife spent so long in grinding poverty that she will never needlessly spend money.  She has no problem with spending money, but she's never once tried to control mine or get me to  spend more when less would suffice.

That said, she does get pretty illogical.  We were picking out light fixtures for our remodeled bathroom, and she was getting angry trying to explain to me how a 3 socket light fixture with shaded globes would put out more light than a 4 socket fixture with clear globes.  And once she found out the switch had to be relocated, she vowed not to use the new bathroom at all.  She'll get over it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah right then it's on to the next thing that she feels sad about.  Women want attention but buying them things to shut them up?  That shit doesn't work long term.  Maybe it does if you have deep pockets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sure won't if you look at it in those terms.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Tell her if she wants a new washer and dryer, she can pay for it herself.

"I know women love spending their husbands' money"

Stop giving it to them?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Worst advice ever.

Enabling bad behavior/choices does not make a healthy relationship.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didnt include that 3 months ago we just went out and bought a brand new  stainless steel $2400 refrigerator  and a stainless steel $500 under counter microwave - and believe me, she picked them out.   Or that we just returned from nags head yesterday after staying in a $2500 a week house, which she picked out, and i treated her to 3 meals a day out every day and she picked every restaraunt.  

If i listened to her every time she decided she was sick of something, she would have bankrupted us 10 years ago when she was sick of our 3 year old back deck because it needed stained and wanted to tear it up and have a $15,000 back stone patio put in.  You have no idea what my wife is like.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We built the house 13 yrs ago.  Hardware store guy said aplliances last 10-12 years.  We just replaced the microwave and refrigerator.  Kind of why im reluctant to spend more money unless absolutely necessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always amazing that your appliances/goods/cars are always past replacement age when you talk to someone selling new ones.

Just something your wife may consider contemplating on.

Part of my job is HVAC and white good repair. There is a LOT of good old stuff out there that is going on 20-30 years old with just occasional repairs.

My stove, 40 years old, my deep freeze, late 60s/early 70s AMC, fridge is around 30 years old. [Kenmore/whirlpool] Dryer is well over 20, [whirlpool] washer is newer but that is only because the 35 year old one it replace actually rusted out.

An honest hardware store guy that knew what he was talking about would tell her to run the appliances til the cost of the repair exceeds the value of the appliance at the time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can look it anyway you want, you're still doing exactly that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#50]
My wife threw away two epi-pens ($200)  because they were expired. They were stored in a climate control house and the fluid was still clear.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top