Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2016 9:29:16 AM EDT
http://www.wtsp.com/news/the-defenders-charlotte-mother-with-3-amputations-denied-disability/309584902

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A Charlotte mother of five who lost three limbs after barely surviving sepsis was just told she’s not eligible for disability payments.

She came to The Defenders because she says the ruling shows “stay at home moms” are worthless in the eyes of the government.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#1]
She had no income, but now wants income?

I can see it both ways, but lean toward no.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#2]
She wasn't working before.

Something happens and she suddenly deserves a check from uncle sugar?

Hahahahahahaa
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I see that side - but likewise how much will it cost to pay someone to perform the tasks she was doing for free?

Also, for many, "stay at home" is a temporary assignment - kids get older and many moms move back into the workforce.

Then the other side of me despises governmental safety nets in general...

So I'm conflicted, but wish her well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd say that the states' decision has nothing to do with the worth of a stay at home mom...
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Time to put the kids to work.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't pay in, don't deserve shit unless you are a child.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Disability is an insurance paid for out of paychecks. No paychecks, no insurance premiums paid, no disability. I don't see why she even tried.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#8]
She will now have to pay someone to help take care of her children.  I'd rather her get it then some of the 20 year olds with bad nerves
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#9]
No mentioning of what the husband brings in nor no mentioning of the total household income which would determine the entitlement ( unless I missed something ).
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if it would have been different if her race was different ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Isn't that how it's supposed to work?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I bet you bottom dollar if she was a darker color she would have got it .

Just the way it is.

Oh call me racist for saying it , I dont care anymore .  
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#13]
ADA should ensure her employability.

of course, the vast majority of people receiving disability never worked a steady job, either.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#14]

well, for nowadays, she's completely the wrong "color/nationality" to be garnering any sympathy/handouts.

all of that stuff nowadays can only be offered to blacks/immigrants.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll bet she leans a little
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#16]
She does not qualify for SSDI, which is insurance.

She may well qualify for SSI, which, for lack of a better word, is welfare.  

People just say "SSI" but there are two distinct programs.

(Worked in a law clinic in graduate school)
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Its a sad story and all but if you dont pay in you cant get out. since she wasnt paying in then maybe the husband should have carried some sort of insurance on her. Plan ahead people..
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I think she should get it if she needs it..... IDGAF what you guys think either just fyi ......How many others get it for fake BS and this isn't fake BS.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#19]
What the fuck is wrong with people?

Why would a person who is not a member of the workforce be entitled to "benefits" intended as a safety net for members of the workforce?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://www.wtsp.com/news/the-defenders-charlotte-mother-with-3-amputations-denied-disability/309584902

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A Charlotte mother of five who lost three limbs after barely surviving sepsis was just told she’s not eligible for disability payments.

She came to The Defenders because she says the ruling shows “stay at home moms” are worthless in the eyes of the government.

View Quote

Her statement is retarded, but so too is the disability system.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Hahahahahahaa
View Quote

You mean EXACTLY like all the welfare section 8 people squirting out kids and not working a day in their life? Because I could show you hundreds and hundreds of those with just a 15-20 minute drive. And all of those are on every govt handout plan you could ever imagine.

Is she ''entitled'' to it, no, however, the same thing could be said for those in the above paragraph and the govt officials would tell you they ARE entitled to their handouts.

Hell, this country is so stupid it gives out SS to POS that never worked a day and are technically not entitled to a dime as they put less then the minimum in. Then, it hands out welfare to criminals who broke into the country and are committing a crime.

FWIW, she HAD worked and paid in in the past, just not  in the past ten years which made her ineligible for SSDI.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Why would a person who is not a member of the workforce be entitled to "benefits" intended as a safety net for members of the workforce?
View Quote

because, again, the vast majority of people receiving SSDI were never legitimately in the workforce in the first place.

chick lost 3 fucking limbs to a disease.  she is exactly the type of person these safety nets were designed to help.

so the bureaucracy will through out fat scratch for life to some cunt who saw a car accident and now has "PTSD" and fuck this bitch who just wants to raise her kids but physically can't.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Disability is an insurance paid for out of paychecks. No paychecks, no insurance premiums paid, no disability. I don't see why she even tried.
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#24]
What was her work status before becoming a stay a home mom?

Was she a productive member of society? Any criminal record?

I believe that stay at home mothers provide a great service to their family and society as a whole...as they raise children much better than day care centers do...

So, if she was doing well before having kids, then chose to have kids, then became disabled....why should she not get disability? Isn't that what it is for?

Generally speaking, I am against welfare...But I know what its like to not have food in the fridge.

Is there a church that can help her? Family, etc?......THAT should be the first line of welfare.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Disability is supposed to be based on past earnings. I don't know if there is something extra about it to cover the added life expenses with having a massive disability like that. Either way, the standard is that pretty much everyone gets denied the  first time or two. It took my mother years and some calls from a Congressman to finally get approved.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#26]
So, she never worked a day in her life?

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#27]
I would rather she get it than 3rd generation welfare leech. She got a disease not just hanging around

supplementing her income by selling unofficial pharmaceuticals.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

No she worked for 9 years but then stopped once her first kid was born. They (gov) said since she hasn't paid in the last 10 years she doesn't qualify.

They have kids 10-young and twins in there. They look to be upper middle class and in good spirits, unlike the people that yell and shout for their free Obama phones because they deserve it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I bet you bottom dollar if she was a darker color she would have got it .

Just the way it is.

Oh call me racist for saying it , I dont care anymore .  

Being on the EBT train is the same as working in their eyes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

RIF.  She worked for 9 years and then stayed at home to raise her family so she wasn't working for daycare and someone else to raise her family.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Hahahahahahaa
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I see that side - but likewise how much will it cost to pay someone to perform the tasks she was doing for free?

Also, for many, "stay at home" is a temporary assignment - kids get older and many moms move back into the workforce.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
It was pretty obvious she didn't have a leg to stand on.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  She was denied for Title II (SSDI) which you have to have worked 20 out of the last 40 quarters to be eligible for.  Her husband apparently makes too much for her to qualify for Title XVI (SSI) which has a family income and resources component.  Her attorney is an incompetent dipshit if he doesn't know the difference and she should fire his dumb ass.  She is also a dumbass.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

And she won't get SSI since her husband is making enough money that they've hired five people to help with the house and kids (seems a bit excessive).
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I wonder if it would have been different if her race was different ?
View Quote

Came to post this.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, conflicted here, too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Payment for loss of income when in fact, there was no previous income ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
You mean EXACTLY like all the welfare section 8 people squirting out kids and not working a day in their life? Because I could show you hundreds and hundreds of those with just a 15-20 minute drive. And all of those are on every govt handout plan you could ever imagine.

Is she ''entitled'' to it, no, however, the same thing could be said for those in the above paragraph and the govt officials would tell you they ARE entitled to their handouts.

Hell, this country is so stupid it gives out SS to POS that never worked a day and are technically not entitled to a dime as they put less then the minimum in. Then, it hands out welfare to criminals who broke into the country and are committing a crime.

FWIW, she HAD worked and paid in in the past, just not  in the past ten years which made her ineligible for SSDI.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hahahahahahaa

The scammers should be publicly flogged. Or placed in labor camps. That is my real honest belief.

Eta: the government goons that push for undeserving fucks to cash checks need worse treatment than that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I would rather she get it than 3rd generation welfare leech. She got a disease not just hanging around

supplementing her income by selling unofficial pharmaceuticals.
View Quote

It's not an either /or situation. Just because she gets it doesn't mean hood-rat drug dealer won't.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

because, again, the vast majority of people receiving SSDI were never legitimately in the workforce in the first place.

chick lost 3 fucking limbs to a disease.  she is exactly the type of person these safety nets were designed to help.

so the bureaucracy will through out fat scratch for life to some cunt who saw a car accident and now has "PTSD" and fuck this bitch who just wants to raise her kids but physically can't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

She is not the typical person on SSDI.  A substantial majority of people on SSDI would never get WC or long-term disability from a private insurance company.  In fact, many are first rejected by the latter two and by default get accepted to SSDI.  

Given that 1/3 of the federal budget is borrowed money, it's a hopeless situation anyway.

ETA:  Missed that she never worked.  Yeah, SSI.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#43]
disreaguard I see she paid in

She should get it my mom didn't work for 10 yrs and got SS disability
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

I strongly suspect they would have approved her for SSI if she met means testing,  but she felt "being a mom"  entitled her to more than the 1k/month that SSI provides.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Above.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Above.

You guys are confusing entitlement programs.   SSI is for people that havent worked enough.   SSDI is for people that have.   Her husband probably makes too much money for her to qualify for SSI,  as I believe its means tested.   SSDI is not (currently).

I'm wondering if an "on paper"  divorce would allow her to get the benefits she wants.  Not a lawyer,  but that could be a question she should ask.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#46]
After seeing all the lazy pukes around here that somehow manage to qualify for assistance I'm kinda torn on this one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I believe that stay at home mothers provide a great service to their family and society as a whole...as they raise children much better than day care centers do...

So, if she was doing well before having kids, then chose to have kids, then became disabled....why should she not get disability? Isn't that what it is for?

Generally speaking, I am against welfare...But I know what its like to not have food in the fridge.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

"I support the right to keep and bear arms... But...."

You and the other guys who feelz so bad for her plight are not prohibited from sending her a donation from your own wallet.  Yet, you think it's better to have .gov stooges steal it at gunpoint from MY paycheck instead.  Because ultimately that's what it is:  if I don't pay taxes on my income, Uncle Sam sends men with badges and guns to arrest me for tax evasion, then I am prosecuted for it, then (if convicted) men with badges and guns escort me to jail.  That's how it works.

Is there a church that can help her? Family, etc?......THAT should be the first line of welfare.

that WAS the first line of welfare starting way back in earliest colonial America, until FDR introduced OASDI and LBJ went full-throttle with the Great Society.  People got involved in church for various reasons, but one huge reason was that if you tithed to your church and cooked meals for fellow congregants who became unable to work or feed themselves, you knew that others would do it for you when you were destitute or disabled.  Later, mutual aid societies for various trades and professions, and private associations, and other private charities helped grow the non-governmental "social safety net."  

Then came FDR and LBJ, followed by a general sour attitude of "I already donate to charity; it's called TAXES!"

Ever wonder why churches (and certain sectors of the private charity industry) are dying off?  Because there's little reason to go to church anymore, other than (1) tradition, (2) guilt/fear of the Almighty's wrath, or (3) intellectual pursuit of Bible study.  Everyone now looks to Government as the sole provider of the "social safety net."
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Institutional racism is afoot
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You and the other guys who feelz so bad for her plight are not prohibited from sending her a donation from your own wallet.  Yet, you think it's better to have .gov stooges steal it at gunpoint from MY paycheck instead.  Because ultimately that's what it is:  if I don't pay taxes on my income, Uncle Sam sends men with badges and guns to arrest me for tax evasion, then I am prosecuted for it, then (if convicted) men with badges and guns escort me to jail.  That's how it works.

that WAS the first line of welfare starting way back in earliest colonial America, until FDR introduced OASDI and LBJ went full-throttle with the Great Society.  People got involved in church for various reasons, but one huge reason was that if you tithed to your church and cooked meals for fellow congregants who became unable to work or feed themselves, you knew that others would do it for you when you were destitute or disabled.  Later, mutual aid societies for various trades and professions, and private associations, and other private charities helped grow the non-governmental "social safety net."  

Then came FDR and LBJ, followed by a general sour attitude of "I already donate to charity; it's called TAXES!"

Ever wonder why churches (and certain sectors of the private charity industry) are dying off?  Because there's little reason to go to church anymore, other than (1) tradition, (2) guilt/fear of the Almighty's wrath, or (3) intellectual pursuit of Bible study.  Everyone now looks to Government as the sole provider of the "social safety net."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

Why would she get a check for being a stay at home mom? I'd didn't know that was a thing.

Yes, I would prefer a person that was dealt a shitty hand to get money before a bunch of lazy mouthbreathers, but welfare programs still suck.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top