Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Electricity flows downhill?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When water turns a water wheel you still have just as much water after it's turned the wheel.  

I've heard that water and electricity are a lot alike in how they flow.

Why do you think DC wiring diagrams always show positive circuits on top?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:26:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Trolling this badly make you look almost as dumb as a 14'er.
Wait... crap.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:32:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Drain the hose at the gas station.

Don't let extra gas you paid for go to waste....or the next guy....
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:45:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm not a electrician.   Why would I know?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You really don't know do you?

Because you (supposedly) are not a fucking caveman?

If this is trolling, then then only reason it's effective is because there really are that many people who have no clue how anything works.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:49:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Holy shit.

Don't forget to drain the electricity from any cord you use.

I have never been in my basement.  The lightning bouncing around down there is crazy.

I will sell loads of electric dirt to any of you who need to power anything and don't want to run wires.  My house was built in 1965 so it should have lots of drained electricity in the dirt.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:18:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So, this 75degree scale is what I personally always use, as opposed to the 90degree scale, because damn near all lugs on a breaker are rated for 60/75degrees but not 90. You see, any circuit rating is only as strong as its weakest link. If a conductor is sized based on the 90 scale but the lug isn't, than the lug will potentially get hotter than it is rated for and fail. Now some of you are saying that there are lugs rated for 90degrees and you would be correct but many circuit breakers are not made with these lugs. Always check the temp rating of your termination lugs. Look for a marking like 'AL9CU' or 'CU9AL. The letters mean that it is rated for both copper & aluminum while the 9 means that it is 90degree rated. If the '9' was a '7' than it is only rated for 75degrees.

TL:DR   OP doesn't understand electricity...
View Quote
Other engineers even some very seasoned ones look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them they can't use the 90 rating. Well in low voltage cable anyway.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:25:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Why does the Trump avatar not surprise me?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

A friend and I were just arguing about electricity, something neither of us knows much about.

Say you setup a little generator.  The positive red "hot" wire from generator runs to a fan and the "black" wire comes out of the fan and runs back to the generator.

The electricity "flows" round and round.  The "unused" electricity coming out of the fan goes back to the generator.

But in your house the hot wire flows in from the power pole, thru stuff like a light bulb, but instead of sending the unused electricity coming out the light bulb back to the power plant, they just drain it into the ground.

Why?

Seems like a waste of energy.

And where does all that power draining into the ground go?  

My friend said it actually flows thru the ground back to the power plant but it all gets used up by the resistance of the earth.  

I guess is it's cheaper to just drain it into the ground than to have to run a 2nd wire all the way back to the plant?

Kinda like if the power company pumped water to your house that spun a waterwheel. They could either run a 2nd pipe to return the water back to the power plant or just dump it out on the ground.

Someone that knows electricity please explain how this really works in layman's terminology.
View Quote
How high are you and your buddy?

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:03:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes. This was quite a problem early on when they had to carry electricity upstairs in buckets. Many families were broken up by arguments as to who's turn it was to fetch a pail of electricity upstairs. Luckily the elevator was invented to end this chore although in some rural areas the bucket method is still used to this day. And now you know the rest of the story.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When water turns a water wheel you still have just as much water after it's turned the wheel.  

Yes. This was quite a problem early on when they had to carry electricity upstairs in buckets. Many families were broken up by arguments as to who's turn it was to fetch a pail of electricity upstairs. Luckily the elevator was invented to end this chore although in some rural areas the bucket method is still used to this day. And now you know the rest of the story.  

Electricity is actually composed of little tiny balls called "electrons".

It is a known fact that if you drop an electron and a bowling ball at exactly the same time from exactly the same height, they will hit the ground at exactly the same time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A friend and I were just arguing about electricity, something neither of us knows much about.

Say you setup a little generator.  The positive red "hot" wire from generator runs to a fan and the "black" wire comes out of the fan and runs back to the generator.

The electricity "flows" round and round.  The "unused" electricity coming out of the fan goes back to the generator.

But in your house the hot wire flows in from the power pole, thru stuff like a light bulb, but instead of sending the unused electricity coming out the light bulb back to the power plant, they just drain it into the ground.

Why?

My friend said it actually flows thru the ground back to the power plant but it all gets used up by the resistance of the earth.  

I guess is it's cheaper to just drain it into the ground than to have to run a 2nd wire all the way back to the plant?

Kinda like if the power company pumped water to your house that spun a waterwheel. They could either run a 2nd pipe to return the water back to the power plant or just dump it out on the ground.

Someone that knows electricity please explain how this really works in layman's terminology.
View Quote

There is a little known 1800's law that stated that all electricity produced must be a green energy. To meet that requirement electric companies return unused electrons to the earth. The big issue is that most customers haven't figured it out like you have. You pay for all the electricity and all of the unused goes right back to the ground for the company to sell to the next guy.

One day the earth will run out of electrons due to us using them up and the lights will go off. To keep my lights on, I've buried barrels and put the ground cable into them. I'm not letting my electrons go back to the electric company. When the power goes out, I just go out and connect a jumper cable from my stored electrons to the "hot" pole of the service panel. My neighbors always are jealous and think that I have a really quiet generator. Snark, silly bastages just don't know how electrons work.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It is a known fact that if you drop an electron and a bowling ball at exactly the same time from exactly the same height, they will hit the ground at exactly the same time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only in a vacuum.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:22:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And when you turn on a light there is STILL 120v......

The light doesn't use 20v and leave 100v for the rest of the circuit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And when you turn on a light there is STILL 120v......

The light doesn't use 20v and leave 100v for the rest of the circuit.

Yes if you have 6 light bulbs of the same wattage in series then each bulb will use 20 volts.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Newtonion physics works best if you remember to account for resistance, think of it as always being on a treadmill. Tomorrow, we can discuss why the speed of Dark must always be equal to the speed of light.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP did you know you can sell power back to the power company ?

Call them about your unused electricity
View Quote

The part in blue is actually correct. If you generate more current than you use, power companies are required to buy it from you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yes OP the grounding rod at your house is just a scam perpetrated by the energy companies, you should unhook it and save all that electricity.
View Quote
Made me laugh

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The part in blue is actually correct. If you generate more current than you use, power companies are required to buy it from you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP did you know you can sell power back to the power company ?

Call them about your unused electricity

I know, you can either generate your own energy or use capacitor farms.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Pretty good

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well you see, if the wats exceeds the hamperage, there has to be an outlet. So the electric companies conspired with Elvis to drain off the unused volts to the ground. This is commonly referred to as "TCB."  That's wat the lighting bolt signifies. The mole people use this to keep JFK on life support so Bigfoot and the Grays can anal probe him weekly. Taking Care of Bigfoot. TCB!

Pretty good

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#25]
What's worse?  OPs concept, or the fact he posted this on ARFcom?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Man, I feel dumb just reading that.  

I wonder where all that unused energy from the aircraft's generator goes to?  Maybe the airline reuses it for later flights?
View Quote

Lightning
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Either I missed it or you guys are slipping.

OP, here's your sine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Is OP the guy that round that round urinal a couple of days ago?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Either I missed it or you guys are slipping.

OP, here's your sine.
View Quote
I see what you did there!

OP probably doesn't though
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Electricity flows down hill?

I'm now thinking I ought to look into building an electricity storage tank on the roof for when the water pump goes out.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You really don't know do you?

Next time you'll know better than to post questions in gd
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

Actually this analogy is pretty accurate.
Water comes into your house through the water main, gets used in a sink or appliance, then the dirty water goes into the sewer and sent to the water plant. It is then cleaned and filtered so it can be reused.

The energetic electricity comes in on the wires, gets used by your appliances, and the ground is the electrical sewer, returning the used electricity to the power plant where the used up electrons are replaced with new energetic ones.

This is also why smart meters save you money. They don't just measure the total amount of electricity that flows through them, they check back with the powerplant and only charge you for the used electrons.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Water comes into your house through the water main, gets used in a sink or appliance, then the dirty water goes into the sewer and sent to the water plant. It is then cleaned and filtered so it can be reused.

The energetic electricity comes in on the wires, gets used by your appliances, and the ground is the electrical sewer, returning the used electricity to the power plant where the used up electrons are replaced with new energetic ones.

This is also why smart meters save you money. They don't just measure the total amount of electricity that flows through them, they check back with the powerplant and only charge you for the used electrons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p664/RIP-Yataski/GIF/C2C5EA63-1858-4B92-A0AD-5360873C2B5A_zpsmkxn44mq.gif

Yeah, lol. All the people in here poking fun of the OP and it seems only a small handful here actually know what's going on.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#36]
OMG op is a special kind of stupid
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#37]
I think the water analogy fails on some folks because they assume a power generation plant is like a resevior that needs to be replenished some how.  Water itself has some cash value because if we use it all we have to find more, so you're paying for the movement of water to your house plus the water itself. In the power grid electrons have no cash value, they don't need to be replenished, everything you're paying for is simply the movement of an endless supply of electrons through wire.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think the water analogy fails on some folks because they assume a power generation plant is like a resevior that needs to be replenished some how.  Water itself has some cash value because if we use it all we have to find more, so you're paying for the movement of water to your house plus the water itself. In the power grid electrons have no cash value, they don't need to be replenished, everything you're paying for is simply the movement of an endless supply of electrons through wire.
View Quote

And there is very little actual movement of electrons, it's the energy that flows. A better analogy would be waves moving through water.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And there is very little actual movement of electrons, it's the energy that flows. A better analogy would be waves moving through water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is this energy you speak of?...
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I have used the water hose analogy go demonstrate amps vs volts before. And its a good analogy for that but any further and it falls apart.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is what you are actually paying for. Watch the waves on a beach and you will see the water moves up and down as energy flows in the direction of the waves, but there is actually very little horizontal movement of the water. Electrical energy moves through wires in much the same way. Another good visual is the kinetic toy with hanging metal bearings. raise the bearing on one end and the energy from that bearing is transmitted through the bearings to the other end with very little physical movement of the bearings.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It is what you are actually paying for. Watch the waves on a beach and you will see the water moves up and down as energy flows in the direction of the waves, but there is actually very little horizontal movement of the water. Electrical energy moves through wires in much the same way. Another good visual is the kinetic toy with hanging metal bearings. raise the bearing on one end and the energy from that bearing is transmitted through the bearings to the other end with very little physical movement of the bearings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, so you mean watts. We pay based on watts, or kilowatts, consumed. Some large consumers actually pay, or get fined due to, poor power factor also but I digress. Watts do not flow, get used or even exist. Watts, or power, is simply the answer to a math equation that is used to determine how much amperage is drawn based on the voltage applied through the impedance of the system.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Oh, so you mean watts. We pay based on watts, or kilowatts, consumed. Some large consumers actually pay, or get fined due to, poor power factor also but I digress. Watts do not flow, get used or even exist. Watts, or power, is simply the answer to a math equation that is used to determine how much amperage is drawn based on the voltage applied through the impedance of the system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I fucking knew it!

Science is a LIE!

It's all a lie!

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#44]
How else are they supposed to recycle it?
You don't want to lug big containers of electricity back to the power plant.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Only in a vacuum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only in a vacuum.

Do you have a vacuum? Does your mum have a vacuum? No? How does she do the floors then?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Why?

View Quote

I don't get my meat from the farm, I get it from the grocery store... I don't get electricity from coal, I get it from transmission lines....
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Would Nikola be spinning in his grave at 50 or 60hz right now?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm going to blow your mind, OP.  The electricity in your house isn't going into the ground or back to the power company.

It's just like water as you mention, except the electricity flows back and forth.  Think of your water pipes and water wheel as if the water changed direction of flow every 10 seconds, except that electricity changes direction sixty times a second.  

If you dropped a little ball into that stream of water that changes direction every ten seconds, that ball wouldn't go anywhere, would it?  The same thing is true of the electricity in your house.  

Yep, the electricity in your house's wires is the same electricity that they were filled with when the house was first connected to the power lines.  Neat, hunh?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Electrolytes. It's what plants crave.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top