Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Electricity flows downhill?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When water turns a water wheel you still have just as much water after it's turned the wheel.  

I've heard that water and electricity are a lot alike in how they flow.

Electricity flows downhill?

Yes. This was quite a problem early on when they had to carry electricity upstairs in buckets. Many families were broken up by arguments as to who's turn it was to fetch a pail of electricity upstairs. Luckily the elevator was invented to end this chore although in some rural areas the bucket method is still used to this day. And now you know the rest of the story.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Holy Shit! We will rain Cola Warrior Wrath on his ass!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw the neighbor digging in my yard trying to steal my unused electricity. Fucking FSA dick.

Holy Shit! We will rain Cola Warrior Wrath on his ass!
P2 should dig some of his electricity up and bring it with him to the Joshua Tree Ranch, it might come in handy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Assuming it makes it back to the pole, where's it go then?  Into the ground right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Think of voltage like pressure. It doesn't just "drain" into the ground, it has to go through something. It doesn't particularly like to go through the air. Think of the air like a solid is to a water. Pressure is relative. If you have two tanks with the same pressure, nothing flows between them. When you plug something into your wall outlet, you complete the circuit between the pressure drain and the source. Whatever you plug in has some resistance. It's not like you take a hammer to the outside of your above ground pool and let all the potential energy out, it's more like you connect a 1/4" hose to it and let it flow. For a lightbulb, it turns that motion of electrons into heat and light.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/15/7f/fc/157ffc7d788535f937df36a63e937c8b.gif

AC sortof works like having a bucket of water connected to your above ground pool in the back yard. You raise the bucket up and the water flows to the pool, you lower it, and the water flows to the bucket.

I got most of this.  It's the "let it flow" part that gets me.  Where does it flow once it flows thru my light bulb?  It flows into the ground doesn't it.   Because it would cost too much to run a 2nd wire all the way back to the power plant they just let it flow into the ground.

Kinda like if the power company pumped water to your house that spun a waterwheel.  They could either run a 2nd pipe to return the water back to the power plant or just dump it out on the ground.  

The neutral (if a 120 volt load) or one of the hot legs (if a balanced 240 volt load) is the most attractive path back to the transformer. The power in your house is coming from your transformer and only wants to return there. As I said before, the ground is tied to your transformer, so that is another route back. The ground is a poor conductor compared to your hot and neutral wires though, but a path none the less.

Assuming it makes it back to the pole, where's it go then?  Into the ground right?

No. It goes from the ground back into the transformer. The transformer can be thought of as a battery (sort of) the current flows from one terminal, into your house, does a little work and then flows back into the opposite terminal of the transformer. This stuff is stupid simple. There are probably some youtube videos out there on the subject if you are interested.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'd bet a good internet campaign would have millions believing this and paying to stop it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A recent study warned that by 2050 so much electricity will have been wasted into the earth that lightning will start shooting from the ground..

Global charging is a real danger. Save the earth, remove your grounding rod.

I'd bet a good internet campaign would have millions believing this and paying to stop it.

lol
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The unused electricity gets alternated back to the electric company....duh

View Quote

Unless your neutral wire is broken at the pole...

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
 There is No Such Thing as Excess electricity.

I'll let somebody else explain what Grounding is.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the OP is confused on what "ground" means.

Someone mansplain it to him.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Is there a treadmill involved?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No. It goes from the ground back into the transformer. The transformer can be thought of as a battery (sort of) the current flows from one terminal, into your house, does a little work and then flows back into the opposite terminal of the transformer. This stuff is stupid simple. There are probably some youtube videos out there on the subject if you are interested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Originally Posted By The_Patriot

Stupid simple seems to be what is needed, at this juncture.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No, it returns and is summed to zero at the neutral point.  Look up kirchhoffs current and voltage rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Think of voltage like pressure. It doesn't just "drain" into the ground, it has to go through something. It doesn't particularly like to go through the air. Think of the air like a solid is to a water. Pressure is relative. If you have two tanks with the same pressure, nothing flows between them. When you plug something into your wall outlet, you complete the circuit between the pressure drain and the source. Whatever you plug in has some resistance. It's not like you take a hammer to the outside of your above ground pool and let all the potential energy out, it's more like you connect a 1/4" hose to it and let it flow. For a lightbulb, it turns that motion of electrons into heat and light.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/15/7f/fc/157ffc7d788535f937df36a63e937c8b.gif

AC sortof works like having a bucket of water connected to your above ground pool in the back yard. You raise the bucket up and the water flows to the pool, you lower it, and the water flows to the bucket.

I got most of this.  It's the "let it flow" part that gets me.  Where does it flow once it flows thru my light bulb?  It flows into the ground doesn't it.   Because it would cost too much to run a 2nd wire all the way back to the power plant they just let it flow into the ground.

Kinda like if the power company pumped water to your house that spun a waterwheel.  They could either run a 2nd pipe to return the water back to the power plant or just dump it out on the ground.  

The neutral (if a 120 volt load) or one of the hot legs (if a balanced 240 volt load) is the most attractive path back to the transformer. The power in your house is coming from your transformer and only wants to return there. As I said before, the ground is tied to your transformer, so that is another route back. The ground is a poor conductor compared to your hot and neutral wires though, but a path none the less.

No, it returns and is summed to zero at the neutral point.  Look up kirchhoffs current and voltage rules.

I just asked a simple question.  Where does the electricity go after it flows thru my light bulb?  It goes somewhere, other wise there would be no flow.

I can accept that make it flows back to the pole.  Maybe the house ground is a backup so that the power keeps flowing if the pole ground is no good.  But there's only two choices.  It either goes back to the power plant or into the ground.  If it goes into the ground then I'm guessing If I put one of those clamp on meters around the pole ground I would see current = the input current into my house - the energy I used flowing into the ground.    

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I make sure no lectricity is wasted by keeping all my outlets covered so none of it spills out...........

And some planes have vortex generators out on their wings. Some are AC, others are DC.  Saves fuel by unloading the engine driven generators.  Of course, as mentioned earlier, the excess is let out by those little black sticks on the back of the wings. The next plane can pick it up and save their electricity too........that is what batteries are for.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I power my house by using a long extension cord plugged in to an outdoor receptacle (the drain or "outlet") on my neighbor's house and using his would be wasted electricity. A lot of his electric must go to waste because his bill is sky high.
View Quote

Be careful not to get any kinks in that extension cord or you might blow your neighbors wiring right out of his house from all the back pressure.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#16]
OP needs more VAR's.......or less....
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Does this top the Urinal/Sink thread for OP either trolling poorly or making a fool of themselves if serious?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but if you wire your electrical meter backwards it will take the electricity back out of the ground & send it to the electric company.
Then they start paying you...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:No, it returns and is summed to zero at the neutral point.  Look up kirchhoffs current and voltage rules.
View Quote

But where do you input the magic smoke? It escapes I've seen it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Forget Kirchoff's law, Poe's law is more apropos to this topic and OP.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You really don't know do you?
View Quote

I don't either. I don't give a shit, but I don't know how all that stuff works.

(And, be nice. The next time you ask a retarded question about airplanes, we'll revisit this...)

TC
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I just asked a simple question.  Where does the electricity go after it flows thru my light bulb?  It goes somewhere, other wise there would be no flow.
I can accept that make it flows back to the pole.  Maybe the house ground is a backup so that the power keeps flowing if the pole ground is no good.  But there's only two choices.  It either goes back to the power plant or into the ground.  If it goes into the ground then I'm guessing If I put one of those clamp on meters around the pole ground I would see current = the input current into my house - the energy I used flowing into the ground.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it neither goes to the power plant or the ground.  It eventually ends up at the transformer neutral and at that point the vectors sum to zero.  that is unless it's a three phase system then only the imbalanced current is carried back on the neutral.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It goes back to the Power Station.

I can accept that make it flows back to the pole.  Maybe the house ground is a backup so that the power keeps flowing if the pole ground is no good.  Nope But there's only two choices. It either goes back to the power plant Correct or into the ground.  If it goes into the ground then I'm guessing If I put one of those clamp on meters around the pole ground I would see current = the input current into my house - the energy I used flowing into the ground.  Nope

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm pretty sure Raiden gets it...

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:No, it returns and is summed to zero at the neutral point.  Look up kirchhoffs current and voltage rules.

The magic is you don't have to input it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Jesus Christ.... Just.... I mean... Fuck.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Anybody else

I'm reminded of an Old - 1960's - TV show.  A ruler from a Mid-East Nation was visiting.  He was asking how a very complicated piece of electrical machinery worked.  The Lab Rat in charge started explaining.  The Ruler kept saying, "Simpler" over and over again.  The Lab Rat ended up saying, "It's magic."

OP: It's Magic.
There is No Such Thing as Excess Electricity.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Umm...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A friend and I were just arguing about electricity, something neither of us knows much about.

Say you setup a little generator.  The positive red "hot" wire from generator runs to a fan and the "black" wire comes out of the fan and runs back to the generator.

The electricity "flows" round and round.  The "unused" electricity coming out of the fan goes back to the generator.

But in your house the hot wire flows in from the power pole, thru stuff like a light bulb, but instead of sending the unused electricity coming out the light bulb back to the power plant, they just drain it into the ground.

Why?

Seems like a waste of energy.

And where does all that power draining into the ground go?  

My friend said it actually flows thru the ground back to the power plant but it all gets used up by the resistance of the earth.  

I guess is it's cheaper to just drain it into the ground than to have to run a 2nd wire all the way back to the plant?

Kinda like if the power company pumped water to your house that spun a waterwheel. They could either run a 2nd pipe to return the water back to the power plant or just dump it out on the ground.

Someone that knows electricity please explain how this really works in layman's terminology.

Umm...

*ohm

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I keep my extra electricity in a jar.

I bring it down to the power company every quarter and they give me a discount on my rates.

View Quote

I keep it in a jar and use it to cook my homemade honey baked HAM.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#33]
What's really amazing is that the power company charges you just like you pay for water and sewer. You pay for the electricity you use and the waste that has to go back to the power plant for refinement back into the system.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#34]
This explains why when I get in my buddies pool sometimes you touch the side and it shocks you..his pool is too close to the grounding rod and there is too much electricity..we turn the radio up and use more power and then it isn't so bad
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

A friend and I were just arguing about electricity, something neither of us knows much about.

View Quote

True dat.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know it's magnets, I know you can't tell me. .... It's magnets
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Fuck it, I rost.

ETA: 14er's
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Ampere and  Coulomb are spinning in their graves

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I saw the neighbor digging in my yard trying to steal my unused electricity. Fucking FSA dick.
View Quote

It might be the whiskey, but I literally LOL at this, thank you.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#40]
It's all about the Megavars.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Don't feel silly OP. You gotta start learning about stuff somewhere. Whole lotta stuff I have no idea about  At any rate, I don't know if this will help you or not, but I'll try and explain something related to it. I'm a railroad signalman. I work on the gates, flashers, tracks circuits etc.... My signaling wires (sans those directly connected to the tracks) are ungrounded. They are that way by design. I have to check my circuits to make sure there are no grounds on them. Know how I do that? I take a 6 volt lantern battery and ground the positive terminal. I hook the negative terminal of the battery to the negative lead of my multimeter. Then I go through and probe all of my signal wire terminals with the positive lead of my meter. If I see any deflection of the needle, I know I have a ground. Then I have to check the current. Anything higher than 2 mA (that's two-one-thousanths of an amp) and I have to repair it immediately. A wire in a signal mast that has worn insulation could be inflicting a ground on me. The point is, my signal circuits are ungrounded. The ground plays no role in it unless something is wrong. It's just the opposite with your power. Since it is a grounded system, the earth is purposely used as a conductor. Make any sense?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Water flows down hill

Plus without the ground soaking up all the unused electricity your electric bill would be like 1/50th what it normally is
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#43]
To make this simple lets say that electricity is like jelly and the wires are like straws.  The tv, oven, etc are dirty kids and each has a toothpick made of bone. The kids want the jelly in  their mouths but the jelly is in the straw.  The power plant is a huge jar of jelly and the straw is in it with an elephant sucking the jelly through the straw.  Now, what do the kids do? They poke a hole in the straw with their toothpick and wrap their dirty mouths over the straw.  Then they suck jelly into their mouths to fill their bellies.  Yup, the same as a light does with electricity!  There is no extra jelly because the elephant eats whatever the kids dont get.  The elephant is magic.

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
*ohm  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say you setup a little generator.  The positive red "hot" wire from generator runs to a fan and the "black" wire comes out of the fan and runs back to the generator.

The electricity "flows" round and round.  The "unused" electricity coming out of the fan goes back to the generator.

But in your house the hot wire flows in from the power pole, thru stuff like a light bulb, but instead of sending the unused electricity coming out the light bulb back to the power plant, they just drain it into the ground.

Why?

Seems like a waste of energy.

And where does all that power draining into the ground go?  

My friend said it actually flows thru the ground back to the power plant but it all gets used up by the resistance of the earth.  

I guess is it's cheaper to just drain it into the ground than to have to run a 2nd wire all the way back to the plant?

Kinda like if the power company pumped water to your house that spun a waterwheel. They could either run a 2nd pipe to return the water back to the power plant or just dump it out on the ground.

Someone that knows electricity please explain how this really works in layman's terminology.

Umm...
*ohm  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
To make this simple lets say that electricity is like jelly and the wires are like straws.  The tv, oven, etc are dirty kids and each has a toothpick made of bone. The kids want the jelly in  their mouths but the jelly is in the straw.  The power plant is a huge jar of jelly and the straw is in it with an elephant sucking the jelly through the straw.  Now, what do the kids do? They poke a hole in the straw with their toothpick and wrap their dirty mouths over the straw.  Then they suck jelly into their mouths to fill their bellies.  Yup, the same as a light does with electricity!  There is no extra jelly because the elephant eats whatever the kids dont get.  The elephant is magic.

Hope that helps
View Quote

I think you wrote too fast.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's incredible if true.  How do you know this?   Makes no sense at all to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol. Your transformer is tied to ground. It starts at the transformer and ends at the transformer. No electrons make it back to the power plant, or past your transformer for that matter.. The electrons at the power plant's aletrnators never leave the plant either. Transformers magnetically couple the energy along the way.

That's incredible if true.  How do you know this?   Makes no sense at all to me.

It is true. DC and AC behave very differently.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#48]
OP, the electricity goes into the ground. That electricity is what guides the dowsing rods.

And for those saying once the smoke gets let out of some electrical device its toast, guess again.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OP, the electricity goes into the ground. That electricity is what guides the dowsing rods.

And for those saying once the smoke gets let out of some electrical device its toast, guess again.
http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/images/Smokekit2.jpg
View Quote

I have a jar of that right beside the jar of headlight fluid.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Trump supporters.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top