BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If he has access to the keys, he is in control of the car. His best bet would have been to hand over the keys to someone else, then sleep it off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the car was not on he would have been fine probably. However, I would take this one to court a good lawyer could help probably

If he has access to the keys, he is in control of the car. His best bet would have been to hand over the keys to someone else, then sleep it off.

My keys are on the counter by the door. I have access to them. I guess I can't drink.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
With a good attny he can probably get out of it.  The D in DUI stands for "driving."
View Quote

Which is why he was more likely charged with APC.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the car was not on he would have been fine probably. However, I would take this one to court a good lawyer could help probably

that makes no sense.. what if hes asleep on the hood but has the keys in his pocket? what if hes in a tent beside it?

IIRC it all stems from the vehicle being running. which is still bullshit. I can see a guy KNOWING he is drunk, but deciding to not drive the vehicle, and to sleep it off.

drunk driving charges should 100% be based on the vehicle moving.... or at least, you sitting in the drivers seat with engine running.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

With a good attny he can probably get out of it.  The D in DUI stands for "driving."

Got to figure out some way to screw him over!  Oh, and get money....dont forget the money.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Not knocking or judging either party involved, because I wasn't there and don't know state specific laws there.

That said, some cops don't do the "letter of the law" vs the "spirit of the law" very well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have always heard (not saying this is correct) As long as the car is not on all is well and you cannot get charged for dui (car wont drive if it's not on). I guess it, like anything, depends on the officer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have always heard (not saying this is correct) As long as the car is not on all is well and you cannot get charged for dui (car wont drive if it's not on). I guess it, like anything, depends on the officer.

Some people here will parrot that happily.  As if turning a key is somehow harder than pulling a gear lever.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Back in the college days I had a friend who got arrested for DUI was passed out in the drivers seat and did not even have the car keys in the car.

GOTZ to make the MADD newsletter, bro.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

.085 shouldn't even be illegal. Blame MADD for nonsensical limits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll one up you.

I know two guys who went to WV for a fishing trip.

Needed some more beer, and other supplies.

Vehicle Owner: I'm good, but I'm probably over the legal limit. Are you good?
Second Guy: Yep, I'm good.

They go into the nearest town, guy gets pulled over during a town speed limit change.

Breathalyzer.

Second guy? DUI. 0.085
Vehicle owner? Arrested for "permitting a DUI". He goes to jail too.

law

.085 shouldn't even be illegal. Blame MADD for nonsensical limits.

can't even have a bottle of wine with your wife at dinner anymore

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Guy I know went to some kind of festival/party in Indiana with some friends. They took his vehicle because he has an SUV but another guy agreed to be DD. My friend couldn't find the other guys so he climbed in the cargo area, remote started it and went to sleep. He sleeps in the back regularly when hunting so he thought no big deal. About 5 am a cop wakes him up beating on the glass. Friend explains that he wasn't driving and that the vehicle hadn't moved in 12 hours but the cop gives him a breathalyzer anyway. He blows a .086 and the cop takes him to jail.
View Quote
Thats fucky.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would have arrested the drunk and won the case just as I did plenty of others. Him being locked up will prevent him from crawling into the front seat to drive home, still drunk.

And I wouldn't dream of coming to get your guns. I can't stand the smell of rancid pussy.

Ed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, you'd have to be one SERIOUSLY lowlife officer to give someone a dui over that. What a fucking jbt.
That's the kind of officer that won't have any problem going door to door for our guns also.
I would have arrested the drunk and won the case just as I did plenty of others. Him being locked up will prevent him from crawling into the front seat to drive home, still drunk.

And I wouldn't dream of coming to get your guns. I can't stand the smell of rancid pussy.

Ed

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:46:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Cops need to realize that if they want the support of law abiding people, bullshit like this needs to stop!!  WTF

It's shit like this that makes the average person stop coming to their defense.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cops need to realize that if they want the support of law abiding people, bullshit like this needs to stop!!  WTF

View Quote

What's given you the impression they care and why do you hate children?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#13]
There are cops that love popping people for DUI's.  They all have different motivation.  For some it is money earned from going to court on overtime.  Others do it because a drunk driver killed or hurt someone they know.  Others do it because it's the law.  Some do it because it's dangerous to other people.

Then we have the very special group that does it for fame.  The love all the awards they get from MADD and other groups.  It may also help them look good when it comes to promotions.  Fuck these guys!  These are the guys who charge people like your friend.  I would not and have not ever charged anyone in that type of situation.  

Now, the drunk, naked,, 20 year old, fully shaved, chick who passed out in someone else's driveway?  Yeah, she got charged.   That is one of there very few encounters that I have ever had with a naked girl on the job that I want to remember.  Best part about it was another officer who was on the call was retelling the story and someone asked if the curtains matched the drapes.  He said nope, it was linoleum.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like a good case for the Hillary defense.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Happened to a guy I used to know in FL. Its wasnt even running
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You have know idea who I am <COC>.

So don't start with your JBT and Comrade bullshit with me.
Ed

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, you'd have to be one SERIOUSLY lowlife officer to give someone a dui over that. What a fucking jbt.

That's the kind of officer that won't have any problem going door to door for our guns also.

Ed

Excellent work, comrade.

Ed

I know you're a guy that can't be bothered to follow the COC.  But there's no double standard.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

that makes no sense.. what if hes asleep on the hood but has the keys in his pocket? what if hes in a tent beside it?

IIRC it all stems from the vehicle being running. which is still bullshit. I can see a guy KNOWING he is drunk, but deciding to not drive the vehicle, and to sleep it off.

drunk driving charges should 100% be based on the vehicle moving.... or at least, you sitting in the drivers seat with engine running.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree^

what if he's in a tent beside it?

what if you are camping and drinking around the tent/campfire, over the limit, just BSing with friends, keys in your pocket but not driving, DWI, $$$$,
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Exactly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

This may come a s a surprise to you, but drunk driving arrest are some of the most popular out there with the general public. Only drunks like other drunks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
This may come a s a surprise to you, but drunk driving arrest are some of the most popular out there with the general public. Only drunks like other drunks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

Sure when people are driving and a "dangerous person was taken off the street" the public loves it.  If all the bullshit charges such as "a guy arrested for sleeping in the cargo area of a SUV" started getting a bunch of the press the public would change its tune quickly.  The fact that prohibition didn't last means that unfortunately for you most of the public enjoys a drink or two.  Get a bunch of bullshit arrests some publicity and state legislators will start changing the laws to make exceptions or to clearly define what "in control of the vehicle means".  

Some states, like Kentucky, do not like when law enforcement gets aggressive and interferes with life by pushing the legal definition of the law just to make a bullshit arrest.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree.  The punishment for actually driving impaired should be harder than it is now.

This case is BS.  Plus you have to wonder if he was at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Where were his "friends?"
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Growing up I told repeatedly if in this situation make sure the keys are never in the ignition ideally in the opposite floor board. Know off several times friends did just that and didnt get a DUI. Had one buddy who even did it at a local restaurant after he closed it down drinking margaritas and the cops who stopped thanked him for "being smart".
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Don't try to justify stupid laws.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't try to justify stupid laws.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

This may come as a surprise to you, especially if you cant grasp it, is that the "driving" part in "drunk driving" is actually the paramount component of that equation.  Without that essential element, support would be much less "popular out there with the general public."  As stupid as the "general public" seems to be, they can at least grasp that simple concept.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Growing up I told repeatedly if in this situation make sure the keys are never in the ignition ideally in the opposite floor board. Know off several times friends did just that and didnt get a DUI. Had one buddy who even did it at a local restaurant after he closed it down drinking margaritas and the cops who stopped thanked him for "being smart".
View Quote

That's because our state doesn't have many heavy handed police departments that treat citizens like subjects.  Not so in many other places.  It is one of the reason that I like living in this state.  In general the police out there to "protect and serve" meaning they are actually looking out for you.  Sure if you do something stupid you will get ticketed or arrested.  

For example one evening on a 4 lane road in town I swerved around a vehicle that pulled out in front of me and then pulled into my driveway about 5 blocks down the road.  A county sheriff pulled in behind me, normally they don't stop cars in the city unless you do something stupid.  He informed me that he saw me swerve around the car, apparently he didn't see it pull out right in front of me, and was checking to make sure I wasn't drunk.  He then informed me one of my brake lights were out.  My boat trailer had a habit of shorting out and blowing my fuse.  No tickets and it was a decent encounter by an officer "protecting the public" and also "serving the citizens".  Back home in Illinois I would have received at least 2 tickets, not signalling the lane change and for the defective equipment.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#26]
It happened to my Coworker
The cop told him put the keys in the back toolbox next time  otherwise "you are operating the vehicle"
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#27]
The cops and politicians here in Lil Rhody don't take the chemical test.  Never take the Breathalyzer.  Stall tell them you want your attorney present for all testing. Automatic loss of license for 6 months but it kills the criminal case so you are only left with the civil case and no felony record.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Washington State Law is:

RCW 46.61.504

Physical control of vehicle under the influence.

(1) A person is guilty of being in actual physical control of a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug if the person has actual physical control of a vehicle within this state:

–-----–------------------------------------------------------

This means anywhere within the state to include private property. Excludes Tribal and Federal lands.

If you are standing outside your car, drunk and its not running or the key isn't in the ignition. Then no, you are not in 'physical control' of it.

But if you leaning against it pissing while it warms up? Yeah.

Not trying to be a hard ass about this. But the truth is, I've had people call friends to come get them. But there's a line people cross and you get tired of having to dig the guy riding the motorcycle out of the drunks windshield. Or turn his car back over so you can pull him out. Or all the ones that wait till the canal is filled before they drive into it.

Yeah, I'd arrest a guy in the backseat. Because there is shit to stop him from getting into the front.

Ed

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ed

By that logic, you should throw people into jail for being drunk outside their car altogether.
Washington State Law is:

RCW 46.61.504

(1) A person is guilty of being in actual physical control of a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug if the person has actual physical control of a vehicle within this state:

This means anywhere within the state to include private property. Excludes Tribal and Federal lands.

If you are standing outside your car, drunk and its not running or the key isn't in the ignition. Then no, you are not in 'physical control' of it.

Not trying to be a hard ass about this. But the truth is, I've had people call friends to come get them. But there's a line people cross and you get tired of having to dig the guy riding the motorcycle out of the drunks windshield. Or turn his car back over so you can pull him out. Or all the ones that wait till the canal is filled before they drive into it.

Yeah, I'd arrest a guy in the backseat. Because there is shit to stop him from getting into the front.

Ed

I could see arresting someone who is drunk in the back of a vehicle because it is much more likely that such a person will drive off than someone drunk on somebodies rec room floor or couch.

But DWI is the wrong charge in cases where he wasn't driving drunk or had obviously pulled over and climbed into the back to avoid a DWI.

I certainly wouldn't convict for it as a jury member.

A lesser charge of intoxicated in public, (being in most vehicles is the same as being in public) or some other appropriate charge that is sufficient to remove the sleeper from the vehicle would work.

I don't know enough of what would be appropriate in each state.

I also think the charges should be dropped once the person is no longer a danger.  However, I don't expect that some officer should subject himself to being accused of any sort of false arrest or harrassment nonsense if that could come up by not charging DWI.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This may come as a surprise to you, especially if you cant grasp it, is that the "driving" part in "drunk driving" is actually the paramount component of that equation.  Without that essential element, support would be much less "popular out there with the general public."  As stupid as the "general public" seems to be, they can at least grasp that simple concept.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

You have not a clue as to the actual elements of a DWI arrest it appears.  Not a big surprise  from GD.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You have know idea who I am asshole.

Ed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ed

Excellent work, comrade.
You have know idea who I am asshole.

Ed

#hero
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#31]

I had it happen to a friend a few years ago as well.    He had too much to drink.   Texted a buddy for a ride.   He was downtown, after bar hours, and it was winter (freezing out).    So he started the car to keep warm and got in the back to wait for his friend to get there.       Officer nailed him for DUI even though he tried to show him the texts between him and friend.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Washington State Law is:

RCW 46.61.504

Ed

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ed

By that logic, you should throw people into jail for being drunk outside their car altogether.
Washington State Law is:

RCW 46.61.504

Ed

Make up your mind.   You're arresting them because the law is the law or because they might do something dangerous?

I pointed out that it is just as easy for someone to crawl into the front seat as it is to open the door and get in.  So arresting them because they might get into their car makes about as much sense as arresting them because they might crawl into the front seat.

Hell, I was at a gathering of about 60 or 70 arfcommers 3 weeks ago.  I'd reckon at least 1/3 of them were shitfaced.   Some of them even slept in the back of their vehicles.   With the engines running.   Oh the humanity!

Guys like you would have arrested the fuck out of them.   Did I say guys?  I meant heroes.   Stay safe, bruther.

This one's for you.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plea bargain down to a public intox more than likely.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I know you're a guy that can't be bothered to follow the COC.  But there's no double standard.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ed

Excellent work, comrade.

Ed

Dat Lifer privilege doe
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
SUV not running or too many witnesses?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah that's a bullshit charge

My Mom was on a jury trial for basically the same exact case.

Amazingly a few weeks ago i went on an EMS call for an unresponsive man in the back of an SUV, cops showed up too. He was trying to sleep it off, and they let him be.
SUV not running or too many witnesses?  

It was off but keys were in the ignition.

My opinion, pragmatic night shift cops that would rater be free if their buddy calls for help then busy driving someone to jail for a BS DUI charge.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Am I the only person that won't even drive if I have had one beer? It's really not that hard.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Am I the only person that won't even drive if I have had one beer? It's really not that hard.
View Quote
This thread is about someone driving drunk?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, I won't either.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My friend was in socal and parked on the beach for a fire/party.  He put his keys in a ziploc bag and buried them in the sand under his jeep and still got a DUI for sleeping in passenger seat.  

DUI for keys in ignition doesn't surprise me at all.
View Quote

Bullshit. 100% bullshit

Doesn't meet the elements of the crime. Unless his drunk ass moved the car to a better parking stall then did what you say he did.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
You have not a clue as to the actual elements of a DWI arrest it appears.  Not a big surprise  from GD.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

Yep, you can't grasp a fundamental and elementary logic train so you do the "I know better than you" and the condescending laugh argument.  Well, I guess it is better than running behind mommy's skirt like you usually do.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Step 1. Lawyer up.

Step 2. Beat the rap.

Step 3. Get paid for being put on a ride.

Step 4. Remove variable from decision making abilities.

Step 5. Only after its all done do you post about it here.

View Quote

Hide dag???
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

That's right. People do like drunk driving arrests.
The ones that where someone is actually "drunk" and they are actually "driving"
The only ones that seem to be behind the APC and open container laws are people in power that are in a position to profit from them.
But I think you already know that.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope. I won't drink while carrying a gun so I rarely drink.
But this isn't about that as he was sleeping one off not driving.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The only ones that seem to be behind the APC and open container laws are people in power that are in a position to profit from them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

I have a side job teaching elementary school math to people like you.  

Court cost to process a ticket is around $140. That's just the clerk doing a very simple  task. That does NOT include anything else.  The police, having a hearing,  etc all cost money.  None of your fee goes towards that  cost. You have not paid yet.

Don't believe me?  Look up the budget for your local  municipal court. It's all online and public record.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I always thought that was a douche move, punishing someone for trying to do the right thing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I always thought that was a douche move, punishing someone for trying to do the right thing.
View Quote
Without a doubt it is.  But plenty of folks are willing to go full Dredd.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Same thought process that gets cities to ban overnight parking in the downtown areas where the bars are located.
Can't be cuttin into revenue now can we.

I bet with DUI awareness, Uber, Lyft etc, they are really starting to see a pinch in the $$$$ stream from DUI busts.

A lot of the people I grew up with have gotten DUIs. Most (IMO) deserved them. But there have been a few chickenshit ones like my friend who pulled his car out so his girlfriend could head home. Pulled his car out, she backed out of the driveway, he pulled back in. Cop in the parking lot across the street watched the whole thing, pulled up and lit him up after he pulled his car back in and was getting out.
Blew a .08 on the nose, still hooked him and towed his car out of his own driveway to impound.

I got threatened with one when I was ~22 and sitting in my truck in my parent's driveway listening to music.

Somewhat related: The PD in a town I lived in was notorious for asking people to step outside when they responded to loud music/party calls to they could make drunk in public busts. They tried it on me once in my apartment, they started getting angry and more insistent that I wouldn't leave my doorway and "step outside to speak with them". Seriously thought they were going to go hands on with me but nothing came of it. And yes, I was really, really drunk.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the grand scheme of things it is.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I had it happen to a friend a few years ago as well.    He had too much to drink.   Texted a buddy for a ride.   He was downtown, after bar hours, and it was winter (freezing out).    So he started the car to keep warm and got in the back to wait for his friend to get there.       Officer nailed him for DUI even though he tried to show him the texts between him and friend.
View Quote

Um, point of order. The officer did not "nail him" for DUI. The officer accused him. It is the first step in the judicial process. Don't be a pushover.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Years ago, a friend of mine got a DUI doing something similar, He had purchased a new car, and was absolutely enamored with it.   His wife drove him home after a party, and he did a drunk move, he didn't want to go inside, he wanted to stay in his car, and listen to the radio.

...that was a mistake.

View Quote

Private property go away, unless he parked on the street
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top