BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/27/2016 12:58:12 PM EDT
The commies made some reliable rifles.  

Looks like there are some advantages to the SKS:

- The SKS has more machined/cast/forged parts than an AK.  AKs could literally be made from trashcan sheetmetal.  

- Is anyone is still making SKS's nowadays?  They seem more collectable.  

- The old SKS-M's use 30 round AK mags.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

- The SKS has more machined/cast/forged parts than an SKS.  AKs could literally be made from trashcan sheetmetal.  
View Quote

Well, that solves that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

- The SKS has more machined/cast/forged parts than an SKS.  AKs could literally be made from trashcan sheetmetal.  
View Quote

I have 2 aks and a sks-m, I like the sks better
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#3]
How are you using the rifle?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#4]
The sks is mo' betta in terms of reliability and all-around accuracy. In my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
tag for the trash can jokes
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The sks is mo' betta in terms of reliability and all-around accuracy. In my opinion.
View Quote
que?

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#7]

I never shot an AK but I like my 1953 Russian SKS.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well, that solves that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

- The SKS has more machined/cast/forged parts than an AK.  AKs could literally be made from trashcan sheetmetal.  

Well, that solves that.

Oops.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Both are Soviet garbage can guns
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
que?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
que?  

Es un facta!

Then again, I've only shot a WASR-10.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#11]
SKS at $100 was an awesome buy...  But that boat sailed ten years ago, unless you get real lucky in a pawn shop or with a private sale.  At today's avg prices for an extra bill or two you can get into a basic level AR.

I don't think anyone is producing the SKS currently... Either a government or a private company.  

AK prices seem to be high right now... The AR market is so saturated you can get an AR for less, and traditionally that was never the case.

If you just want to get into an SLR that takes 7.62x39 and you've got about $1k take a look at the Sig and PTR rifles that accept AK mags.  Otherwise for the price I'd take an SKS over an AK to just avoid paying stupid money for a trash can gun.

EDIT-Also, whichever you get, please don't go all bubba-tapco on it

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#12]
SKS any day. Why? Because they are cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I literally grew up shooting a para SKS.  Dad bought those old copper washed steel core ammo tins for me.  The sights sucked, but I killed a metric ton of wildlife with that commie gun.  I drew down on a runner once, fired my 5 rounds, with a lead.  Hit her 3 times, all bad shots.  I walked up on her trying to get away with a broken back and saw that I was empty.  I had to employ the metal butt plate.  It worked.

I always kept a few rounds in my pocket after that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here, handles better and is more accurate.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

How are you using the rifle?
View Quote

Just the usual Arfcom requirements.  Blasting zombies, defending innocent maidens, killing feral grizzly bears, open carry thru shopping malls.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
que?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
que?  

the internal box magazine is can be more reliable than shitty com blok AK magazines.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Every SKS I've shot seemed better-made and smoother functioning than every AK I've shot.  Maybe it just has to do with the construction.  

An SKS feels like a semi-auto cycling.  AK's feel like they turn to jelly under recoil/while cycling.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I have both and am getting ready to abandon both.  

With the SKS, in stock form with stripper clips, it is an extremely reliable and accurate gun, as long as it has time to cool down.  I once tried those stupid duckbill magazines when I was younger/dumber, and they made the gun less reliable.  I also tried a pinned in muzzle break back then, and my accuracy went out of the window.  Now that it is back in its true stock glory, it is just as accurate and reliable as I remembered it.

My AKs have always been reliable.  In fact, when it comes to abuse, I think the AK platform handles it slightly better than the SKS.  For example, I once shot my cousin's milled MAK-90 approximately 500 rounds in a very short period of time.  The handguards were smoking yet the rifle was still going strong.  I once shot my own SKS very rapidly for approximately 150 rounds as fast as I could and it jammed up at the chamber from the heat.

They are both decent platforms, as long as you aren't a middle aged man whose eyesight isn't what it used to be.  Sorry, but irons suck and I have yet to meet an AK or SKS scope solution that I like.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I sold all mine (AKs and SKS) a while back and went to the AR platform.  I have no regrets.

With that said, I would go with an AK, if a Commie held a gun to my head and made me choose one.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#20]
My opinion...

AK has better handling, usually higher capacity, better sights (at least I am better with them), and look better.

Sks has better accuracy.

Both have been reliable guns.

For the price of both today, I would go AR since a budget build is slightly higher than a typical Sks and lower than an AK.  If you must have either, I would go AK.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I had over a dozen SKS rifles at one time. Sold them all. I still have AKs.

The SKS is a nice, versatile, do-all rifle if you can't afford something better. But there are so many better options out there as far as for specific uses.

My main SKS that I killed a bunch of deer with was stolen years ago. I wish I could have that particular rifle back, but I don't miss the M model, Polytech hunter, paratrooper, Albanian, Yugo, Russian, Romanian, Cowboy's Companion, or any of the other SKSs I once owned and have since sold.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I know plenty of folks get good results from sks's.

But to me it will always be the mexically special. The absolute cheapest price of shit semi auto that you could buy. In the 90's , $65 would get you one and every wanna be gang banger had an sks, the ak 47 was too expensive. its synomous with high point, mosin, norcin, ect. In my very biased and one sided opinion.

Svd? Absolutely, ak? Sure why not. But an sks.... Yuck
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#23]
they're just rifles.  do what you want to with them, trash can, shoot, art, bubba-fuck, whatever... no fucks given
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Nothing wrong with an SKS, however it's capacity is limited due to the fixed 10rd magazine. There were some SKS's modified to use AK mags, but idk how reliable they are... I much prefer the AK-47 due to ease of maintenance, reliability, takes detachable 30rd mags, has a pistol grip, it's just a more modern rifle. When I was 13 I remember SKS's going for $75 bucks and AK-47's were around $300. I really wanted the AK-47, but could only afford the SKS. So price was my biggest factor. I ended up getting into the even more expensive AR-15's when I turned 18 and had more money to play with. I skipped right over the AK-47, ha. I eventually came back to the AK-47 later on to round out my gun collection though, but I much prefer the ergonomics and accuracy of the AR.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#25]
The one sks I shot was the biggest pile of crap ever... I do not understand the fascination with those fuckers now that they are no longer 80 dollars. At 100 bucks I get it. At 3 or 400? Fuck all that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#26]
AK ergonomics, trigger, capacity and modularity are mo' better.

The SKS is awesome, but the AK wins in almost every category except for coolness, they tie there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Investment wise there are fewer SKS's out there than AK's. The value will only go up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Investment wise there are fewer SKS's out there than AK's. The value will only go up.
View Quote

That's my opinion too.  

I really don't like to buy things that go down in price.  Same reason I don't like to buy new vehicles.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#29]
My Yugo SKS was a decent $110 investment. It is what it is, a $110 battle rifle.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#30]
the Viet Cong seemed to do a pretty damned good job against us with their SKS's

I have a buddy who is a VV and he said that they hated enemy soldiers armed with the SKS, Fire was more accurate than those with the AK's
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Both are Soviet garbage can guns
View Quote

So.  I like both, but for a brush gun, the SKS is better then the Mini-30. and useful as a general utility rifle for just about any use, Medium game, Camping, plinking, home defense, durable and low maintenance.

The AK is only better then the SKS in regards to magazines and trigger.  But the vanilla SKS's 10 round fixed mag is perfect for utility rifle usage.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I prefer the SKS b/c of the quality.  They tend to be more accurate and if I needed the rifle to also serve as a club the robust SKS will last much longer than your run of the mill AK.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Wish I would have bought a few or 10 when they used to have them in barrels for $80 a pop about 12 or 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Both.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Well, that solves that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that solves that.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I really prefer my AK to my SKS, especially now that prices aren't that much different between the 2.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

The  AK replaced the SKS because it was an improvement ...  as far as one being more accurate then the other there really isn't much difference ...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The  AK replaced the SKS because it was an improvement ...  as far as one being more accurate then the other its really hard to tell...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The  AK replaced the SKS because it was an improvement ...  as far as one being more accurate then the other its really hard to tell...

Not that hard.  Whichever one hits this first...

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Ask this guy what an SKS can do...

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#41]
OR better still, ask THIS guy...

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#42]
To me, the AK seems "simple" while the SKS seems "cheap" and "crude".

I'll take my AK any day over an SKS.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, the SKS is a better gun, it's only drawback is a lack of a detachable magazine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think I like the SKS Ds and Ms better than an AK.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Most of my AKs were milled Bulgarian and Chinese versions. Definitely not "trashcan" sheet metal, but keep in mind that the 1mm and 1.6mm stamped receivers are perfectly fine and durable...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#47]
SKS is nicer it terms of production, AK is a more effective weapon, so....

SKS is getting stupid collectible and will continue to do so in the long term.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#48]
I do miss the days of the $59 SKS!
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#49]
SKS wins by a mile. It can actually hit what you aim at.  Every AK platform based weapon I owned was crap  That is why they are all gone.  One could not hit a pie plate at 50 yards.  One had a receiver failure after 80 rounds and one was essentially a single shot weapon.  A real jam-o-matic.  It would not feed ammunition and only one magazine would fit into it.

The SKS without the idiotic 30round mag conversion is a great brush gun.  Nothing to snag.   Much more accurate too.  Easier to aim because of better ergonomics.  It manages recoil better and you can get it back on target quicker.  Fine little carbine with the punch of a 30-30.   I also have one of the so called "paratrooper" models.  Fun little carbine.  It was beat to heck when I got it.  I cleaned it up and installed a new trigger assembly and it works fine now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#50]
I had them all:  AKs, SKSs and a SKS-D (detachable AK magazine).

In the end, I kept the AK.

Aloha, Mark
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top