Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 8/27/2016 10:53:10 AM EDT
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/world/asia/seal-team-6-afghanistan-man-left-for-dead.html?_r=0&referer=

He looked back over at Sergeant Chapman. The laser was no longer moving, Chief Slabinski recalls, though he was not close enough to check the airman’s pulse. Chased by bullets that hit a second SEAL in the leg, the chief said, he crawled on top of the sergeant but could not detect any response, so he slid down the mountain face with the other men. When they reached temporary cover, one asked: “Where’s John? Where’s Chappy?” Chief Slabinski responded, “He’s dead.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#1]
In before the movie
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Neil Roberts rescue team? I think....might be mistaken.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before the movie
View Quote

Only if Marky Mark from the funky bunch is the lad actor.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Neil Roberts rescue team? I think....might be mistaken.
View Quote

Yes, that's the one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#5]
If they have proof he was still alive, why don't they bring "chief" up on charges?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Step aside, let Clint Eastwood direct this and Bradley Cooper take lead.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not going to judge the team's actions during the firefight, but what a fucking shit show that led them to be put in that position.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#8]
"The new account of Sergeant Chapman’s last act reopens old wounds for SEAL Team 6, the elite Navy unit that would later kill Osama bin Laden. The findings could rekindle tensions between Team 6 and other Special Operations organizations that lost men in the March 4, 2002, mission, which they felt the SEALs had planned and executed poorly, according to current and former military officials."

That's their fucking MO. They roll into missions with the mindset of, "We're SEALS, fuck METT-TSL"

ETA: No fucking shit. "the SEALs had “violated a basic tenet of reconnaissance” by landing directly on their observation post instead of hiking up to it."
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"The new account of Sergeant Chapman’s last act reopens old wounds for SEAL Team 6, the elite Navy unit that would later kill Osama bin Laden. The findings could rekindle tensions between Team 6 and other Special Operations organizations that lost men in the March 4, 2002, mission, which they felt the SEALs had planned and executed poorly, according to current and former military officials."

That's their fucking MO. They roll into missions with the mindset of, "We're SEALS, fuck METT-TSL"

ETA: No fucking shit. "the SEALs had “violated a basic tenet of reconnaissance” by landing directly on their observation post instead of hiking up to it."
View Quote

Why don't we ever hear the stories of SF teams or Marine Recon guys getting in against all odds firefights?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe because they have no basic infantry skills.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why don't we ever hear the stories of SF teams or Marine Recon guys getting in against all odds firefights?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because Helo insterts on top of your LP/OP is fucking amateur hour.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like the SEALs were too lazy to hike and decided to take a helo trip straight onto an enemy position.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bro, rucking causes you to sweat and sweating totally ruins hair gel. #myflow
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#14]
ITT Guys who love to hate on SEALS on the internet
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#15]
RIP Tech Sergeant John Chapman

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:37:44 AM EDT
[#16]
ARFCOM take note - When the SHTF and it is TEOTWAWKI, if I'm dead, don't get yourselves shot up trying to gather my dust.  Save yourselves (and any useful materials that were once mine) to fight another day.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Not a Good Day to Die covers all that very well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came to post this.

"Not a Good Day to Die" by Sean Naylor.  What a cluster.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Chief Slabinski sounds like a real douche.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I read "Roberts Ridge", is this the same battle?

ETA: Did some reading and it is.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Navy SEAL's halo in, halo out...

You know, give me a couple dozen Lance Corporal and a 100 million a year for ops and gear and I could assemble the most daring daring unit to walk the earth.

Said LCpl's will not at any time have a good conduct medel.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm not going to judge the team's actions during the firefight, but what a fucking shit show that led them to be put in that position.
View Quote

The blame for this clusterf**k goes to higher ups
not the men on the ground.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I remember my first firefight.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

(Snort)
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Air force tougher than the navy's best. Ouch.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone didn't read the article. That was not the original plan.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's one of the few topics on ARFcom that usually stays pretty consistent.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Air force tougher than the navy's best. Ouch.
View Quote

If I was CTT and the Ops guys told me I was getting tasked to NAVSPECWAR, I would go to sick call and come up with something, until I could get tasked to AFSOC or JSOC-ACE.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#31]
My .02 cents is to  keep my pie hole shut. I wasn't there and Iam not military. My sympathies to those
families who lost love ones. My thanks to those that served. I only know it takes courage to put your self
in harms way.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
ARFCOM take note - When the SHTF and it is TEOTWAWKI, if I'm dead, don't get yourselves shot up trying to gather my dust.  Save yourselves (and any useful materials that were once mine) to fight another day.
View Quote

Sounds like your asking me to steal your shot when you die

Mission accepted

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Chief Slabinski sounds like a real douche.
View Quote

Col. Blaber said he respected "Slab".  He blamed the SEAL officer (forget his name) for rushing the insertion of Slab's team.  Blaber was the AFO commander and Delta officer from what I recall.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#34]
tough terran with a dedicated opponent.  Was a bad day for SOF

18B30......I put the fangs into Cobra 64!
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

You never took your safety off, did you?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Came to post this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came to post this.

The article was written by Sean Naylor as well...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This, and the threads about CAS where the shoeclerks and nevers-served-at-alls argue about stuff they don't understand.

RIP TSgt Chapman.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

RIP Tech Sergeant John Chapman

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

What size are your boots?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#41]
The events surrounding the ill-fated mission have long been controversial, partly because Chief Slabinski has said previously that higher-level officers denied his request to delay it 24 hours to reduce the risks.
View Quote

Chief Slabinski’s plan was to land by helicopter near the base of the 10,000-foot mountain around midnight and climb up stealthily, but a series of delays involving aircraft left no time to do that before dawn. Under pressure from superiors, he said, he reluctantly flew to the peak at about 3 a.m.
View Quote

It sounds like, at least according to him the way the mission was carried out was not up to the guys on the ground.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

ITT guys who had to clean up messes for SEALS down range on the internet.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#43]
RIP Airman. Did your service fucking proud for sure.

War is a scary and sometimes confusing thing.

Sure seems to be consistently more confusing for the teams than everyone else.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. BTDT for fucking sure.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

edited, i was being inconsiderate
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Navy SEAL's halo in, halo out...

You know, give me a couple dozen Lance Corporal and a 100 million a year for ops and gear and I could assemble the most daring daring unit to walk the earth.

Said LCpl's will not at any time have a good conduct medel.
View Quote

how do you HALO out?  can you describe that?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#47]
That was a good read. Sounds like higher higher made bad call if what the chief says is true. And reading military history, I don't doubt it is. Op went sideways. And then poop happened.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It sounds like, at least according to him the way the mission was carried out was not up to the guys on the ground.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The events surrounding the ill-fated mission have long been controversial, partly because Chief Slabinski has said previously that higher-level officers denied his request to delay it 24 hours to reduce the risks.

Chief Slabinski’s plan was to land by helicopter near the base of the 10,000-foot mountain around midnight and climb up stealthily, but a series of delays involving aircraft left no time to do that before dawn. Under pressure from superiors, he said, he reluctantly flew to the peak at about 3 a.m.

Blaber told them not to do it and Slabinksi said they had no choice. All you can eat shit sandwich followed. Its been a long time since I read Naylor or Blabers books but I remember a lot of wtf from them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#49]
God dam that was hard....

Hero to the end.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top