Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/27/2016 7:46:44 AM EDT
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — An Indianapolis man who was mistakenly shot by a police officer responding to an armed robbery said Friday that he didn't know officers had arrived at his home until he was blinded by their flashlights after being shot.

Carl Williams, a 48-year-old postal worker, said at a news conference that he was in his garage with his handgun at his right side early Tuesday awaiting police when he was shot, apparently just as officers were arriving.

"I knew the police where there after I got shot by them, after I had about three million spotlights in my face," he said. "... The only thing I can remember is intense pain, falling on the ground and telling the police officers 'I am the homeowner. Why did you shoot me?"

Williams called 911 to report that a young man had pointed a gun at his wife in their driveway and demanded her car keys. She threw the keys at the gunman, ran into the house and told her husband, who entered their garage armed.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/indiana-man-mistakenly-shot-cop-why-did-shoot-210033444.html

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Paid time me off and additional training should take care of that problem.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Just like in Texas, where the cops entered the wrong house, and killed the homeowner?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:49:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Pack of idiots.  Thank god everyone votes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Police are called and told there is an armed gunman.

They arrive and find . . . an armed gunman.

If you're going to call the police, maybe it's better to stay holed up in your house until things settle down?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just like in Texas, where the cops entered the wrong house, and killed the homeowner?
View Quote

That was a different situation.  Those idiots actually went to the wrong house.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you're going to call the police, maybe it's better to stay holed up in your house until things settle down?
View Quote

I'm no copsucker, but I'll have to agree with this.
Those boys will shoot their shadow if it sneaks up on them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Homeowner's fault?  Because the cop fired before calling out a warning or identifying himself?  Seems doubtful that the homeowner was drawn down on the cop and the shooter had no time to issue verbal commands.  When the homeowner calls it in, it's usually reasonable to expect the homeowner is there...and that you might want to make sure you're not shooting the homeowner.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. The homeowner should have stayed inside.

The cops, though... Ever hear of identifying your target? I mean WTF!!?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was in his garage waiting for the police, not running around his front yard waving a gun.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd probably be a bit jumpy too if I just got a call for a threatening man with a gun and show up to find a man with a gun.

Not a good shoot at all but I'm not ready to grab my pitchfork.

ETA-
he was in his garage with his handgun at his right side
It just dawned on me this probably means he was holding his gun in his hand at his side.  Aside from the raging gun nuts like me most folks don't even have a holster for their pistol and just wave it around at the range flagging each other.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Carl Williams, a 48-year-old postal worker, said at a news conference that he was in his garage with his handgun at his right side.....
View Quote

He should have known that was a bad idea. He obviously doesn't read the stories posted here.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Geeze, fucking bad cop suck ups.

You don't just start shooting. If you are that much of a chicken shit, find another job.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:11:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He was in his garage waiting for the police, not running around his front yard waving a gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me clarify... The cops are at fault here. They are the ones who sent rounds down range.

The homeowners mistake was simply tactical.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:12:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, agree 100%.  Don't call Police about a man with a gun; then emulate the threat you just called about.  

Sit inside, tell operator where you are and don't walk around with a gun by your side.

....oh and hide the dog in the bathtub !
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's a moron in every bunch and you, sir are a moron .
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He should have known that was a bad idea. He obviously doesn't read the stories posted here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Carl Williams, a 48-year-old postal worker, said at a news conference that he was in his garage with his handgun at his right side.....

lol
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#19]
In for the armchair quarterbacking and internet police use of force experts...

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

We've had two threads in the last 2 months or so about homeowners holding guns being shot by police when they responded to the wrong address. Standing around with a gun at the right address called into the police seems even more risky.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Let me clarify... The cops are at fault here. They are the ones who sent rounds down range.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.

My wife knows that if she calls 911 in a similar situation, she is to tell them we are inside, armed, and unsure if the perp is still in the area, so the police need to announce themselves before entering our home.  When possible, the plan is to retreat to our bedroom, covering the door, and telling them exactly what room we are in.

But that advanced planning doesn't help us much if something happens when we are out.

When I was in the fire service, our mantra was this is not our emergency. It's clearly an emergency for the person who called 911, but this is just our job. The basic idea is that you need to keep your head together, remember your training, and just do your job to ensure you do it right and that you don't get yourself or someone else hurt or killed.  At least one of those responding officers rushed into that situation and made it their emergency instead of their job.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Lesson learned.
Police can shoot anyone they see with a gun and have no problem with it

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#24]
he was in his garage with his handgun at his right side
View Quote
It just dawned on me this probably means he was holding his gun in his hand at his side.  Aside from the raging gun nuts like me most folks don't even have a holster for their pistol and just wave it around at the range flagging each other.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Williams called 911 to report that a young man had pointed a gun at his wife in their driveway and demanded her car keys. She threw the keys at the gunman, ran into the house and told her husband, who entered their garage armed.
View Quote

Calls in on "man with gun" outside, then becomes "man with gun" outside... Then gets shot...

Darwinism at its finest

Haters gonna hate...

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Will it be possible for this guy to have a 20 pt. increase in IQ as a result of this experience? Perhaps....perhaps not.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I would think the smart thing to do would be to tell the 911 operator that the homeowner is also armed and give a description of what you are wearing(well and not skulk around like a bad guy outside*). But I wonder if that info would actually make it to the responding officers or not.  

*not that I'm accusing the homeowner of this, just sayin.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would think the smart thing to do would be to tell the 911 operator that the homeowner is also armed and give a description of what you are wearing(well and not skulk around like a bad guy outside*). But I wonder if that info would actually make it to the responding officers or not.
View Quote

That would depend on the dispatcher, we had one get written up for refusing to repeat the description of an armed robbery suspect once.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That would depend on the dispatcher, we had one get written up for refusing to repeat the description of an armed robbery suspect once.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um... Was race part of the description?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She wouldn't repeat it because she was lazy, she said over the readio "I repeated it once already".
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#32]
I have had to call police on prowlers before. The first thing the 911 operator told me to do was STAY IN THE HOUSE.

I mean, I could get going outside to flag an ambulance down to the right address if it was an emergency, but to call in an armed man on your property and then go into your garage with a gun . . . that's about six miles away from fetus level smart and a million and twelve away from a triple IQ.

HOWEVER, the first words out of that officer's mouth should have been, "This is the police. Come out with your hands up. Now."
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Same shit happened to Bin Laden. It's a crazy world.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Good shoot.

Probably a doper. Surprised that theven police didn't find dope on him.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#35]
The quicker people learn it is much safer to not involve the police at all, the better.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

We've had two threads in the last 2 months or so about homeowners holding guns being shot by police when they responded to the wrong address. Standing around with a gun at the right address called into the police seems even more risky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

I agree 110% I was lol'ing at your "should of read it here" comment.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Shoot on sight?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Part of the shoot and ask questions later crowd?  This kind of derp is contrary to citizens being armed.  Wrong side bro
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The quicker people learn it is much safer to not involve the police at all, the better.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Only one side of the story. Need more input.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed, but they have this annoying habit of showing up after shootings and like when you have to call the meat wagon to clean up the mess and shit.    
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

*not that I'm accusing the homeowner of this, just sayin.
View Quote

This exact thing was suggested by the sherriff that taught  my CWP class. You still have no control over wether this info gets to the responding officers or not.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ID'ing your target, knowing what is beyond it, and not pointing weapons at things you don't intend to destroy are rules for the peasants.

The homeowner was an idiot, but the main reason he was an idiot was because the outcome was such an obvious possibility, not because the cops didn't fuck up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Homeowner shouldn't have been there armed.

If you call the police, assume they're going to show up swinging pain-hammers like monkeys on crack.  Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Know your . . . know your. . . something something something.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Any backward mounted Eotech's during this shoot is the question
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is the story in the OP worthy of news?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

ID'ing your target, knowing what is beyond it, and not pointing weapons at things you don't intend to destroy are rules for the peasants.

The homeowner was an idiot, but the main reason he was an idiot was because the outcome was such an obvious possibility, not because the cops didn't fuck up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would have been far less painful to just give the guy the car and call the insurance company.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top