Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:17:53 AM EDT
[#1]
A guy I golfed with a couple of times ...... Jim Brown. He may be the best football player of all times.

He is still a total badass.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Jim Brown
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:19:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A guy I golfed with a couple of times ...... Jim Brown. He may be the best football player of all times.

View Quote

You forget track, basketball, lacrosse, and whatever else he tried...

That dude was an uber athlete.

Note that the modern athlete is still bigger, stronger, faster IMO.  I think a healthy Adrian Peterson could run circles around Jim Brown, Walter Payton, or whatever hero from my youth.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:21:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Walter Payton or Jim Brown probably.
Sanders had amazing runs when he could break free, but on most downs didn't do shit.  He was flashy, but not the best.  
In the end it is impossible to name one, as the game changes, the rules change, and people do not compete in the same situations.
View Quote

The thing about sanders is he would break free and post huge numbers often, It wasn't a rare thing. When he got free he was going a long way usually.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:33:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Jim Brown followed by Earl Campbell
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:34:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Jim Brown. If if Sanders had any kind of line it would be him. Often times his first contact was 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage.  He was getting hit as he was getting the ball. I hated when Green Bay played the Lions with Sanders. The team would win but Sanders made many players look silly trying to get him.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:44:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I would take Jim Brown
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Note that the modern athlete is still bigger, stronger, faster IMO.  I think a healthy Adrian Peterson could run circles around Jim Brown, Walter Payton, or whatever hero from my youth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm...  No
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:34:33 AM EDT
[#9]
If Bo Jackson hadn't blown his hip, what could've been?  

Walter Payton was the best all around halfback of all time.  

Surprised no love here for Emmit Smith.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#10]
LaDainian Tomlinson
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Walter Payton and Gale Sayers.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:00:06 AM EDT
[#12]
He is a complete asshole but Jim Brown is the best.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:04:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Sanders
Brown
LT
Sayers
Dorset
Campbell
Payton
Smith
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#14]
If I could pick...

For only one game - Sanders
For only one season - Dickerson
For an entire career - Payton
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Jim brown or barry sanders

Both me n carried their teams. The rest mentioned were good backs on great teams. Ap is worthy of consideration later in his career

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Walter
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Gale Sayers?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim brown is an exception to this rule. He was 230+lbs when linemen were 250/260.
If he came around today and had the benefit of modern training, weight lifting and coaching, he would be a 250lb monster.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Walter Payton,  and maybe, Barry Sanders
but if I put my money down on one of those: Sweetness.
View Quote

As a bears fan I have go with Peyton too but jus imagine Sanders would have done if he had a good team.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Gayle Sayers and John Riggins.  Everyone else is mentioned by fucking millennials who think the NFL was started the year they got their first pubes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#21]
This one is pretty easy  - Barry Sanders.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Jim brown is an exception to this rule. He was 230+lbs when linemen were 250/260.
If he came around today and had the benefit of modern training, weight lifting and coaching, he would be a 250lb monster.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Jim Brown came around today, in all honesty, he'd not even be a running back. He'd be a QB killing 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. And he'd be real good at it.

That said, him, Earl Campbell, and Walter Payton were the best of all time in my book.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Gayle Sayers and John Riggins.  Everyone else is mentioned by fucking millennials who think the NFL was started the year they got their first pubes.
View Quote

You're right about some of these answers; Marshawn Lynch? For video gaming. You're nominations aren't bad; but Sweetness is the best. Walter Payton is the best RB in the history of the NFL. Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and Gayle Sayers deserve mention too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:02:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Barry Sanders.

He could run with or without an offensive line.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#25]
College or pro?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Forest Gump
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sanders.

If he hadn't tried to tear his own leg off, Bo Jackson would probably be the greatest... at least in the top 5.
View Quote

This.  What Bo Jackson could have done if he didn't play MLB and focused sole on football would have been amazing.  No traing camp, missing a portion of every season while playing another sport, and then having to split carries with Marcus Allen.  He was by far my favorite athlete growing up and I lived only an hour or so from the Lions stadium.  Of course my second favorite, but he wasn't even close to Bo to me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Barry Sanders.

He could run with or without an offensive line.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sanders had too many games with negative yardage and he retired too soon. He really should hold the record.

Emmitt Smith had the great lines that Sanders never did. He deserves to be on top.

My two favorites of all time to watch are Earl Campbell and Tony Dorsett.

Campbell punished defenders, hurt them. Linebackers were scared of him.

Dorsett was just so quick and fluid, the guy was a ghost.
View Quote

I think Dorsett ran like a 4.15 forty yard sprint.  That's damn fast.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Sanders
Different style running but Bettis was a bull watching him live you could hear the pads pop in the top row

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Walter Payton
Barry Sanders
Eric Dickerson
Bo Jackson
Marcus Allen
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Marshall Faulk
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#33]
The guy who wrote the book "How to kill your wife" OJ Simpson
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Jim Brown is widely regarded as the best, but looking at the footage, he doesn't really look all that impressive.  There is no way he could be competitive in today's NFL.

Gale Sayers was the most slippery, fluid running back of all time...and fun to watch.  It would love to know what his career would have been like if it hadn't ended early.

OJ Simpson had the single most impressive season of all time.  He put up over 2000 yards in 14 game season on a super shitty Bills team where the defenders knew he was getting the ball almost every snap.

Payton was super solid all around back that put up unbelievable numbers from a long productive career.

Dickerson was big fast and had excellent vision and speed.  And super cool glasses.

Emmitt was the beneficiary of a long career behind a historically dominant offensive line.

Barry was super slippery and probably had the best vision and was the classiest running back of all time.

Faulk was the best receiving back of all time and had elite vision and was slippery as hell.

But.....

Adrian Peterson is the only running back in NFL history that truly has elite vision and elite abilities to run over a defender, run around a defender, or run away from a defender.  Lots of backs could to one or two of those at elite levels, but AP can do all as good or better than anybody else to ever play the game.  I think Jim Brown could do all of those at very elite levels for his time, but he wouldn't hold a candle to AP in today's NFL.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I agree with you on both parts about Sanders and Bo Jackson.

If you guys haven't seen the 30 for 30 "You Don't Know Bo" about Bo Jackson - go watch it. it's great. That guy is a freak of nature.

I think it's on Netflix, still.
View Quote

Yep.  The stories about Bo sound mythical.

He seems like a damn nice guy, too.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#36]
FPNI.  Barry Sanders was the man despite being on a complete shit team.

Bo Jackson is my favorite though, favorite athlete period.  Guy was years ahead of his time and would have been one of the all time greats had he not got hurt.
The 30 for 30 on him is really good.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Thugball.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

John Riggins...
But I'm biased racist...

fify

Lol

He was one of the greats too

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
If Jim Brown came around today, in all honesty, he'd not even be a running back. He'd be a QB killing 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. And he'd be real good at it.

That said, him, Earl Campbell, and Walter Payton were the best of all time in my book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The first time we golfed together we didn't know one another.  We played for a dollar a hole.  By hole number 11 he was down 5 bucks. By hole number 12 we were in the worst electrical storm I have ever seen.  He would not quit because he was losing.  Reggie Rucker, who was in the foursome behind us drove up in his cart and told Jim that we should head for shelter.  Jim looked at him and said we are golfing.

I didn't open my mouth and just thought about tomorrow headlines ...Jim Brown and some white guy gets killed by lighting.

I kind of just said what the fuck and we all continued to play.  We increased the bet and I lost about 10 dollars to him.  But I realized why the guy was the best....he was willing to die before he lost.

Through out the whole round of golf he wasn't a friendly guy.  When I paid him, he smiled at me for the first time and actually acted like he liked a white guy.

He really is one tough son of a bitch.  I have golfed with a lot of Hall of Fame athletes and none of them even come close to being as mentally tough as this guy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Definitely not the greatest, but I always enjoyed watching Chuck Foreman play.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top