Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:36:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I like laminate flooring - I just hate when they try to make it look like wood.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:39:01 AM EDT
[#2]
laminate sucks, last house I built the owner hated having an electric bill so he shut off the heat and the instant water heater froze and then flooded the main level

laminate can't take any water, hardwood would have been fine
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:46:38 AM EDT
[#3]
With that many feet running around the house, I'm tempted to say "fuck it, tile EVERYTHING."
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:57:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My dad has poplar floors on his cabin that are roughly 250 years old....
View Quote
see what we mean, tile in the bathroom and real hardwood everywhere else

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:01:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Porcelain tile that looks like wood is the way to go with pets.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:53:23 AM EDT
[#6]
We have hand scraped hardwood, for a rustic look, in our living room, bedrooms, hallway, and stairs. Absolutely love it.
Had a home improvement contractor install the hardwood. Guy nailed it. Flawless install.

Pergo in our basement / downstairs family room, (concrete floor). Looks just like oak hardwood. If I wouldn't have had to put a subfloor down for hardwood, we
may have went with it. Went with the vapor barrier, (giant sheet of plastic). I installed the Pergo myself. But it looks great, and we're satisfied. Been down about 5 or 6 years
and still looks like new.

The hardwood just feels SOLID, and the Pergo has kind of a clicky sound and feel. If I had the choice between only one of the two, I'd def go with the real deal.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:25:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Wife and I tore up the beautiful 70's vintage brown shag that was in our house when we bought it and laid down real unfinished oak flooring.

Did it ourselves, never did it before, rough on the back.

Hired a pro to sand and finish.

Laminate/pre finish was never an option for us.  The cracks between each board will let liquids in.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:40:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Take it from an old guy.........in almost ALL THINGS HOUSE............go with the wife's choice.

Life is made easier that way.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A laminate that is wood laminate with an upper ply that is thick enough for sanding is probably superior to solid flooring due to improved stability.

Thin plies or crappy photo engraved paper aren't so hot.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:44:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got kids, dogs, hardwood and laminate in my house. Absolutely no question that the laminate holds up MUCH better. I'm not saying it's a better product, but it wears much better. Dogs also have a learning curve when it comes to laminate and traction that is rather amusing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I had hand scraped Brazilian Cherry wood that was $10/ft in my basement.  The kids and animals destroyed it before they finally flooded the basement out due to a baby wipe down the toilet.

Laminate
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#12]
We have 3 cats in the house, no dogs in the house.

The cats are all declawed (front paws only) and they have just destroyed the oak floors in the living room and kitchen.  The run, play, chase around and their back claws are gouging the hell out of the oak.

The laminate flooring looks as good as the day it was installed in the bedrooms.

When we redo the floors upstairs (remove the carpet) we'll put down more laminate flooring.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:52:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Are you sure you want a hard floor of any sort on a second floor? That's going to get noisy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Strand woven bamboo nail down planks

Hard as shit, no hollow sounding/feeling floating floor crap, looks like wood and wears well
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Tell her you can give'er lamb 'n' seven or goat 'n' eight, but you gotta outsource the latter to an Ethiopian guy.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Laminate is garbage.  
Use real wood or LVP
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I have hardwood through my whole house except the three bathrooms... No regrets even with a 110lb Black Lab

The wood gets a little "texture" from roaming paws, but nothing you would notice unless you were looking for it
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:05:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
google image "laminate floor water damage"
View Quote

Real wood doesn't care well to water damage either.

Had real wood floor flooded and popped up. So I went with laminat.

What I can say is:

-louder than real wood
-softer to walk on
-dogs and toddler haven't destroyed it yet.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#19]
There are some badass laminates that look great and have a solid sound/feel to them, usually 8mm+ thick with a pre-attached underlayment. They are pretty much indestructible but they will cost more. There are a ton of posts in this thread that are worth less than the shit I flushed two days ago. Do your research, but don't sink a significant amount into something you don't want-it will just piss you off every time you look at it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Vinyl plank flooring is awesome.  Goes down like laminate, looks convincingly like wood, doesn't care about moisture.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Redoing our upstairs which consists of a master bed/bath, a study and what was a darkroom(husband/previous owners hobby). We have a good size dog, 3 cats and a 2.5 year old girl. She is convinced we need laminate(thanks father in law) because it will hold up better. Yes, it should. I'm trying to tell her for one, no increase in value to the house. Two, it's got no soul to it like solid wood does. If laminate gets damaged, you're screwed. If hardwood gets damaged it can be fixed. Any help?
View Quote

Do what your wife wants.  She'll be happy you went with her choice and this is a stupid thing to do battle over.

There is no "soul" in flooring and no one (that I know of) is going to say "Oh they have hardwood flooring, lets bump our offer another $10K".  No one gives a shit as long as it looks good.

P.S. All flooring gets damaged eventually.  We call that used.  Scuffs, scrapes and eventually a dent or ding is part of life.  10 years later it's going to look like every other wood floor unless you live like a freak with plastic over all your furniture and everyone only wears socks indoors including the declawed pets.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#22]
High quality laminate is better than wood these days for a lot of reasons,  but the real question is who is paying for it?    

If you are, then smile listen to her input and buy what the hell you want.If she is paying for it, then smile and tell her what a wonderful choice you made while cutting up your man card.   Sometimes you gotta make decisions like a boss OP.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#23]
We put in 1500 feet of 3 1/2" mill run birch 19 years ago when we built the house. Put on 4 coats of solvent based,  high solid gym finish. The smelly stuff. Never recoated since. The floor still looks spectacular and all we ever really do is vacuum and damp mop.

We have 3 kids and an 80lb dog for 13 years. The floors have held up like iron. The tile...not so much. They break.

I put 500sq ft of good laminate over the garage trying to save time and a few bucks. It feels cheesy to me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Vinyl plank flooring is awesome.  Goes down like laminate, looks convincingly like wood, doesn't care about moisture.

View Quote

This is the practical winners choice...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

yup.

Coretec Plus is my #1 floating LVP
Karndean is my #1 glue down.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Tell her that laminate will always have non sealed cracks between the "boards". Just imagine dog piss or spilled drinks getting between the "boards" and sitting there forever and stinking up the house.
Hardwood that's properly installed and finished in place is sealed, until the coating is worn through. Then you refinish it. A well done and maintained hardwood floor should last 90 years. I've never seen a laminate live up to the hype.
View Quote

Trained dogs don't piss in houses.  I'd be more concerned with their nails scratching the floor while running around. That being said, good quality laminate or hardwood is the way to go.  Do not buy the el cheapo $0.99 sq ft laminate.  You'll be replacing it in two years.

We put down Armstrong laminate($2.89), four years ago and it still looks close to new(with two dogs).
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Tell her she's gonna take your hardwood and like it.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#28]
no slip tile that looks like wood or rough sawed wood, laminates and glossy wood are very slippery surfaces for animals, kids and older people with dry skin on their feet
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I am not a big laminate floor fan. I have been in multiple offices that women wear high heels in and the floor has dimples all over it. I don't know that a real wood floor would fair that much better, but it would look a hell of a lot better with the wear marks than laminate.

I like tile and carpet, don't put hardwood or laminate anywhere there is a flood potential(under a fridge, sinks, toilets, washer/dryer)
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Wife wants laminate, you want wood. So you both compromise.

Get the laminate.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I recently sold a house in the Dallas metro area, upper 300k range. I put in brand new high quality laminate flooring in the dining room and office right before it was listed. One comment from EVERY prospective buyer - why did he cheap out with a fake wood floor? Never again.
View Quote

This.  No matter how high the grade, laminate floors look and feel cheap to me.   I'd go with hardwood or wood plank look ceramic tile.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Didn't even read the full thread. Put pets and wood is not good. Especially if you have a big dog. Laminate or composite vinyl is what you want.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
laminate sucks, last house I built the owner hated having an electric bill so he shut off the heat and the instant water heater froze and then flooded the main level

laminate can't take any water, hardwood would have been fine
View Quote

No it wouldn't.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Wife is right.  Laminate, all the way.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Noise won't be a problem. The upstairs is over the garage. It's a 50's Bedford stone house. Kind of a weird layout but a very well built house.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#37]
I put 5/8" bamboo in 1 1/8" tongue and groove decking on the second floor. It looks very nice is hard as fuck, is stable so no perceptible shrink/swell and was less expensive than good hardwood.

No regrets would do it again, but after 8 years it appears I will never have to.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
wood grain tile.
View Quote

this is what we are doing. Dogs and kids spell disaster for laminate and wood.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#39]
HMmm... A picture of wood or real wood.... That's easy.

Wood can be refinished... Laminate can't.  Use a good water based gym-floor poly like Bona and you'll be gtg
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Why doesnt she want wood OP?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wood grain tile.

The tile is great and would use it if possible.
Wood is best for long term if tile wont work.
Laminate is for cheap and temporary or resale to those who don't know any better.
I have used all of the above.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Happy wife, happy life.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#43]
We have 8 kids 13 and under. Most of the main floor is tile, but the TV room we did in pre finished solid hand scraped hickory. It looks like new 5 years later. The kids rooms we are getting ready to do in vinyl plank just because I'm afraid of them spilling stuff or leaving a wet towel on it and not catching it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
wood grain tile.
View Quote

When we redo the floors in our house I'm pushing so hard for that.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#45]
A lot of brands of the engineered wood products can be refinished once or twice if you need to. Don't put it in your bathroom.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You don't want wood with that many people + pets.

High quality laminate is outstanding these days, it costs a lot too.

Edit: Buy 3 extra boxes of the laminate; it's more than you'll ever need.

Edit 2: Hardwood can be repaired, but in general it's way more expensive than a few extra boxes.

Edit 3: Keep wood/laminate out of your bathroom. Neither are all that great for dealing with moisture. Tile is the way to go.
View Quote

All of this.

I go with laminate because it is essentially maintenance free, installs easy, and is usually cheaper than real wood.  It also holds up to pets and kids better.  

I also lay tile anywhere there's more moisture than usual....door entries, kitchens, laundry rooms, bathrooms.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Do you ever want a BJ again?
View Quote

Apparently not. He already married her.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Nothing wrong with wood looking tile.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Wpc floating vinyl plank. 100% waterproof no glue.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
A laminate that is wood laminate with an upper ply that is thick enough for sanding is probably superior to solid flooring due to improved stability.

Thin plies or crappy photo engraved paper aren't so hot.

View Quote

It's called engineered hard wood and would be a great compromise.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top