Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2016 2:12:26 PM EDT
AC - evaporator busted.  Ford dealer: $1,800, local mechanic $1,050.

One year left in payments.

Spend the money on A/C?

Ford Fiesta 2011, bought it new.
112k miles, mostly highway
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you provide less information ?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of car ? condition ? miles ? If you are still making payments on a Pinto then it may be time to sell, If it is an F-450 fix it .
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Spend the money on A/C?
View Quote

Use 245 AC. It's free and it's kewl.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
If the AC worked would you keep it until the wheels fell off?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Evaporator core busted so you don't have to pull freon out pull the dash replace the core and go to vatozone for some freon in a can you could do it in one day
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]
You'll probably get a couple grand less for it with a broken evaporator, so I don't think it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Forget the dealer price.

Compare that cost...which can happen just as a battery  or alternator can die...against a new car payment.

Most likely if the car is otherwise fine, I would spend the $1050.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Your husband could probably buy some tools and find a youtube video and fix it in a day , then just have the system vacuumed and charged
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your husband could probably buy some tools and find a youtube video and fix it in a day , then just have the system vacuumed and charged
View Quote

Sickkkk burn!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If the AC worked would you keep it until the wheels fell off?
View Quote

50/50, otherwise I would keep it till the wheels fell of.

op updated
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spend the money on A/C?

Worked for me back in HS.  Of course back then when I was younger it didn't feel as hot.  Maybe it was the fact that I usually had a Big Gulp between my legs (pre-cup holder days).
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Evaporator core busted so you don't have to pull freon out pull the dash replace the core and go to vatozone for some freon in a can you could do it in one day
View Quote

I've pulled a dash before (1988 Taurus to replace heater core, may that ******** engineer burn) and really NOT looking forward to trying it again.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've pulled a dash before (1988 Taurus to replace heater core, may that ******** engineer burn) and really NOT looking forward to trying it again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So are you still making payments on an 88 Taurus ?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#14]
The evaporator for your car costs under $100 for the part.  Buy an AC manifold gauge set and vacuum pump for $120.  But two for $4 cans of R134 from Walmart.  Spend $250 an a day working on your car.  Or just buy another $25,000 car.  I never understand people who think that way.

Here is a general guide on how to do it.  http://forums.focaljet.com/showthread.php/660227-Replacing-the-AC-Evaporator-key-steps

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The evaporator for your car costs under $100 for the part.  Buy an AC manifold gauge set and vacuum pump for $120.  But two for $4 cans of R134 from Walmart.  Spend $250 an a day working on your car.  Or just buy another $25,000 car.  I never understand people who think that way.

AC manifold, gauges, and vacuum pump.
https://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS-Vacuum-Refrigeration-Manifold-Gauge/dp/B00SZ4QFW0

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81pqUesuDHL._SX522_.jpg
View Quote

I've already had it vacuum and leaked checked.  Evaporator leaks it all out overnight.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#16]
sell/ trade in
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I've already had it vacuum and leaked checked.  Evaporator leaks it all out overnight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS-Vacuum-Refrigeration-Manifold-Gauge/dp/B00SZ4QFW0

The vacuum is for the AC system once you replace the core.  You need to pull all the air/moisture out of the system.  It is also used as a check after the fix to make sure there are no other leaks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they want about 8 hours of labor because of the dash removal to get at.  You have to pull the whole dash back, remove the HVAC box to swap the evaporator out of it, then put all that shit back together.   While you're in there, you might as well replace the heater core too.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#19]
There are probably several other things you should do to the a/c system.  If the core is holed bad enough all the freon leaked out, then you should probably go ahead and replace the dryer also.  Same with the oil.  Buy some flush and clean out the whole system.  Replace the oil with new.  

Do it right.  A/C systems are hard enough to work on, you only want to do it once.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Ac?? What's that..

Haven't had that in years and it only needs a recharge
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Here is a general guide on how to do it.  http://forums.focaljet.com/showthread.php/660227-Replacing-the-AC-Evaporator-key-steps

View Quote

This is what I did. Fixed 4 cars already with the same tools. One of them keeps leaking down and I cannot find the damned leak even with the UV dye.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Spend the money on A/C?

View Quote

Fuck that.

It's only a matter of time before the Powershit blows up on you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The vacuum is for the AC system once you replace the core.  You need to pull all the air/moisture out of the system.  It is also used as a check after the fix to make sure there are no other leaks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That must be why i always have leaks i never bothered using a vacuum.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shit, you can even start doing A/C work on the side for the neighbors with all that gear.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is what I did. Fixed 4 cars already with the same tools. One of them keeps leaking down and I cannot find the damned leak even with the UV dye.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's probably the evap.   If you see a slight oil dampness on/around the drain tube at the firewall, that's a good indication the evaporator core is leaking.   If you have a sniffer, it might detecting refrigerant coming out of the drain tube or blowing out the vents, when there is a leaking evap.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Spend the money on A/C?

View Quote

New car: $17,000-20,000

easy choice...fix the AC, keep the car another 5 years
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#27]
It's got windows, right? Roll 'em down....
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Fix
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

If he lives in Florida, he can rent the gauges and the vacuum pump from  Auto Zone for about $250, fully refundable when he returns them in normal working order.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#30]
A suggestion I read about a while back to preserve the evaporator core makes a lot of sense.

It said don't leave your AC set on MAX or Recirculation when the vehicle is parked.  That setting keeps the outside vent doors closed on the HVAC box; therefore, the evaporator core can't dry out.   This causes the evap core to corrode and begin to leak.

Leave the AC set on regular cooling (which keeps the vent doors open, allowing outside air into the air box) or on vent/fan mode (which does the same thing).

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Fuck that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spend the money on A/C?

Fuck that.

this is a consideration
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spend the money on A/C?

one consideration is fix, pay off, keep another year.

but it's already been 5
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's got windows, right? Roll 'em down....
View Quote

if it was past the sack-melting rain soaked humidity season I would in fact do this.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A suggestion I read about a while back to preserve the evaporator core makes a lot of sense.

It said don't leave your AC set on MAX or Recirculation when the vehicle is parked.  That setting keeps the outside vent doors closed on the HVAC box; therefore, the evaporator core can't dry out.   This causes the evap core to corrode and begin to leak.

Leave the AC set on regular cooling (which keeps the vent doors open, allowing outside air into the air box) or on vent/fan mode (which does the same thing).

View Quote

Interesting, i wonder if that is why people turn the ac off before they turn the car off too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I did (I'm the husband in this case). Got some good info from here, bought a vacuum pump and a set of gauges. Did some reading and now I have two working cars and a new skill. I've even made side cash since learning last month
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Makes sense, because I always left it at Max/Recirc.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mom had a 92 wagon when I was a kid, my dad replaced the heater core in that motherfucker 3 times.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#38]
My wife used to drive a Ford, although a bit older than '11
We bought it barely used, with very few miles.
The overall quality of the car was very poor, and it too had an evaporator fail.

That was the second Ford we had problems with, and got burned by both.
As a 'blue oval' guy I never thought I'd say this, but never again.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Fixing yourself is cheaper than you think when you figure about $90-100 an hour just in labor. You can borrow the vacuum pump and manifold (gauges/hose) at Advance Auto. If you open the system, and you will, replace the drier, it's only about another $30. Considering you have 112K miles, other things are about to wear out/break. Fix until you've had enough. Just like an old dag, you'll know when it's time.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. The evaporator is $66 for aftermarket and $99 for Motorcraft on rockauto.com. You could even do the HC at the same time if you wanted for $49. Hunt around for a coupon code for RA and those numbers will be lower or at least offset shipping.

Consider that you can usually do your own repair for about 1/4 or less the cost of the average mechanic by smart parts purchasing and a little elbow grease.

For instance, I had a quote of $440 for a set of economy shocks on my truck. I ended up buying a set of Monroe Gas Magnums online using a discount code and picked them up in store. They ended up being about $130 total and on top of that Monroe had a promo going on, including $50 rebate on 4 Monroe shocks. So I ended up doing the job myself for roughly $80-90 total with new hardware (bolts, nuts, etc).

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Fixing yourself is cheaper than you think when you figure about $90-100 an hour just in labor. You can borrow the vacuum pump and manifold (gauges/hose) at Advance Auto. If you open the system, and you will, replace the drier, it's only about another $30. Considering you have 112K miles, other things are about to wear out/break. Fix until you've had enough. Just like an old dag, you'll know when it's time.
View Quote

this is the major thought; what's next?  do I want to pay for it?

I've gotten several letters this past summer about trade-in/great deal/blah blah.

I'll stop by the Ford dealer on the way home and hear their tale (without running my credit) on a trade-in.

If I can get into a new car, and by extension a new car warranty, for no money out of pocket, then all I'm doing really is extending my payments.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Move north for the winter. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've gotten several letters this past summer about trade-in/great deal/blah blah.

I'll stop by the Ford dealer on the way home and hear their tale (without running my credit) on a trade-in.

If I can get into a new car, and by extension a new car warranty, for no money out of pocket, then all I'm doing really is extending my payments.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just come clean with us, you just want a new rig don't you?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I just replaced my compressor, vap, orfice tube, rings, blah blah on mine for 400. 2002 Yukon front and back air. I did the grunt work, and had a mech pump the Freon out before starting then put it back in afterwards for 60. So 460 total. Learn to do shit yourself. There is a shit ton of vids on it. YouTube is the best.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I just replaced my compressor, vap, orfice tube, rings, blah blah on mine for 400. 2002 Yukon front and back air. I did the grunt work, and had a mech pump the Freon out before starting then put it back in afterwards for 60. So 460 total. Learn to do shit yourself.
View Quote

already been down that road
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#46]
And yet another example of why I don't buy Ford/GM/Dodge and only buy Honda and Toyota now.

Get rid of the piece of shit and get a good car. Honda Civic Turbo. $21k and 38 mpg.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#47]
fix the A/C.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good advice.
Also, how much of a hit will you take trading in a car, in FL, in August, with a busted AC?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#49]
shit breaks, fix it. stop doing poor people things
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Wait a few month until it cools down. Nobody will notice the AC not working. Then trade it in on a new Toyota. Next time you need a minor repair and want to trade in residual value will be higher, you may not even be upside down on a couple year old car!
Life lessons.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top