Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2016 9:35:08 PM EDT
Recently a buddy told me about shotgun slugs, that we can't buy in this country, that are made from hardened steel and can penetrate significantly more than a standard lead slug.  

However, I can only find one type that DDupleks makes for sale online.  

This is the company and these are the different slugs...

http://www.ddupleks-defence.com/en/products/shotgun-ammunition/tactical/monolit-32s/

How hard would these be to turn on a lathe?...specifically the AP-20 slugs.  But for the Monolit 32's...how would that be on a lathe and any ideas on how to make the plastic buffer?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Find 12 ga 510 sabot inserts and stick a ap 50 cal in there. Probably cheaper and easier.

ETA: 3d printer for the plastic, turning hardened steel is a bitch if you don't have the knowhow or tooling.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess my question would be "Why?"

You can get more effective rifle ammo for much cheaper with no time invested.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#3]
If you really want penetration, why are you screwing around with shotgun slugs to begin with?

Besides.... Unless you have some kind of a sabot, any kind of steel sufficiently hard to improve penetration is going to tear the fuck out of your barrel.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Would be easier to turn mild steel then heat treat it.

Turning something like that on the lathe would be easy, but the time/cost per unit would probably be bad unless you had a CNC lathe pumping out tons of them.

A notch could be made for where the plastic goes, and the plastic just pressed on.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you really want penetration, why are you screwing around with shotgun slugs to begin with?

Besides.... Unless you have some kind of a sabot, any kind of steel sufficiently hard to improve penetration is going to tear the fuck out of your barrel.
View Quote

I don't quiiiiite agree with this. A pointed steel slug of any sort, such as 1020, will be much better than a flat-ish lead slug. It need not be a tool steel, although that would probably help.  And a standard wad should take care of the barrel just fine, as long as it isn't choked. Just don't expect to be able to shoot very far with it in an accurate fashion. The idea of a. 50 bullet is a good one.  

I have no idea what NFA or DD would apply, so mind that at your own risk.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. Shotgun slugs are devastating on soft tissue, not so much if there's much of a barrier in the way. If I were to do something similar, I'd make a sabot round using a .50 projectile. Point set back into the hull to avoid coming in contact with the next primer. Problem is, that would make it short and light enough that again, there are much better choices. IMO the only reason to bother doing this, is simply because you want to-and that in itself is a perfectly valid reason, but be aware you'll probably spend a shitload of money making it work.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Find 12 ga 510 sabot inserts and stick a ap 50 cal in there. Probably cheaper and easier.

ETA: 3d printer for the plastic, turning hardened steel is a bitch if you don't have the knowhow or tooling.
View Quote

At $3-$5 per round...and I think that's a cheap estimate...I can't see pulling the bullets out of my .50BMG rounds.  I'll admit though, it'd be pretty entertaining to see one of my API or better yet APIT rounds go through something dense up close.  

Plus the DDupleks slug rounds are around $2 a pop.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks easy enough. Use the taper setting.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Good Ol' SGAmmo has them!!

Hurry - they only have 116 boxes left at $6.95 per box of 5.
eta: $1.40 a pop ( + shipping ).... not bad at all.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/12-gauge-ammo/5-round-box-12-gauge-ddupleks-275-inch-monolit-32-1125-oz-slug-am1934
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Brennekke super sabots are pretty wicked, give those a try.

At the PD range, they stacked 2 level 3a vests and shot them at 10 yards, ended up stuck in the last panel on the second vest.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good Ol' SGAmmo has them!!

Hurry - they only have 116 boxes left at $6.95 per box of 5.
eta: $1.40 a pop ( + shipping ).... not bad at all.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/12-gauge-ammo/5-round-box-12-gauge-ddupleks-275-inch-monolit-32-1125-oz-slug-am1934
View Quote

They don't seem to sell too many of them.  Not one box was sold in the last 24hrs.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Cut rod into leangths and turn to your desired point. Make slugs, Drill 3/8 hole in center,  epoxy in.

Lee slug mold $16 eBay
3ft x 3/8" hardened rod $20 ebay
Epoxy, $4

Or you could just cut rod and stick in a regular wad if your bbl has no choke.

This is all assuming you have the correct ffl to manufacture said item since the ATF says no go according to its definition.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Brennekke super sabots are pretty wicked, give those a try.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh174/smokiesmokie/282EAB20-53AE-4798-8332-A73E4BA8C0F4_zpsmq67bbuh.jpg

At the PD range, they stacked 2 level 3a vests and shot them at 10 yards, ended up stuck in the last panel on the second vest.
View Quote

Rifled barrel only.

IMO, the testing videos on OP's ammo are much smoke and mirrors.

The Russian engine block wads paper thin and the carburetor stopped one round dead.

The Hexolit round looks like the best of the four.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Is this for your desk mounted 410?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Low velocity, large caliber, short projectile and armor piercing don't go in the same sentence.

You're wasting your time in more ways than one.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#16]
The original BRI 3" 12G slugs had a "near armor piercing " phony rep & we're even in a movie, going thru cars to (of course) kill a cop. When Winchester acquired them, they switched to softer lead.

Centering the projectile is extremely important for accuracy, if one were to try this. There are some YouTubers who stick anything & everything into 12G shells & shoot them, with predictably poor accuracy. They used nails, dimes, batteries, etc.

I think the Duplex slugs are the safest, cheapest ( in the long run) way to go. Or, .308 AP
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Chuck Taylor did penetration tests YEARS ago for SWAT magazine. He included a shotgun.

The standard Brenneke slugs did the best against stuff like car doors and glass. I believe this was before the sabot slugs became popular. But the Brennekes did considerably better than the standard round nose soft lead slugs.

If I want to pierce armor, I sure ain't grabbing a shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Cut rod into leangths and turn to your desired point. Make slugs, Drill 3/8 hole in center,  epoxy in.

Lee slug mold $16 eBay

Epoxy, $4

This is all assuming you have the correct ffl to manufacture said item since the ATF says no go according to its definition.
View Quote
I've wondered about how hard this would be to do with 9mm.  Just wondered, yeah I know it's illegal for me to do it without paying all my sin taxes to get BATFE's blessing.

1. Get tungsten welding rod, and turn it to the correct length and tip profile to weigh about 25 grains to make a penetrator.  Tungsten dust is apparently highly toxic....  Maybe use steel and harden it afterwards?

2. Get some 90 grain 9mm/380acp hollow point bullets.

3. Press the penetrator into the hollowpoint.

4. Load on the high side of 9mm 115gr specs for maximum velocity.

I figure you'd have to do some work to ensure the penetrator gets seated deep enough into the hollowpoint that it doesn't wreck your feed ramp, and centered true enough that the bullet is stable in flight.  Ultimately though, you'd just have some AP pistol ammo.  Not so useful in a world where NRA members are already killing cops everyday with M855 and 7N6 from our AR pistols.  I would enjoy the challenge of making it work though.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I've wondered about how hard this would be to do with 9mm.  Just wondered, yeah I know it's illegal for me to do it without paying all my sin taxes to get BATFE's blessing.

1. Get tungsten welding rod, and turn it to the correct length and tip profile to weigh about 25 grains to make a penetrator.  Tungsten dust is apparently highly toxic....  Maybe use steel and harden it afterwards?

I figure you'd have to do some work to ensure the penetrator gets seated deep enough into the hollowpoint that it doesn't wreck your feed ramp, and centered true enough that the bullet is stable in flight.  Ultimately though, you'd just have some AP pistol ammo.  Not so useful in a world where NRA members are already killing cops everyday with M855 and 7N6 from our AR pistols.  I would enjoy the challenge of making it work though.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lee slug mold $16 eBay

Epoxy, $4

Penetrators need mass and velocity to work well.  25 grains would need to be moving a hell of a lot faster than that to work.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Turning something like that on the lathe would be easy, but the time/cost per unit would probably be bad unless you had a CNC lathe pumping out tons of them.

A notch could be made for where the plastic goes, and the plastic just pressed on.
View Quote

Mild steel won't harden worth a damn.  O1 drill rod would be the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

For the velocity, not sure why there would be significant difference between steel and heat treated/quenched alloyed lead.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is this for your desk mounted 410?
View Quote

Not sure if you're serious but this one confused me.  

I've got plenty of guns....none mounted to a desk though.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lee slug mold $16 eBay
Epoxy, $4

In regard to the ATF....is there some round they consider NFA'able or something?

I always thought you could load up pretty much anything short of HE and it was legal in a long-gun.  No?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Chuck Taylor did penetration tests YEARS ago for SWAT magazine. He included a shotgun.

The standard Brenneke slugs did the best against stuff like car doors and glass. I believe this was before the sabot slugs became popular. But the Brennekes did considerably better than the standard round nose soft lead slugs.

If I want to pierce armor, I sure ain't grabbing a shotgun.
View Quote

This!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top