Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2016 7:17:23 PM EDT
I think they're cool as shit. I have a decent little collection from my grandmama and granddaddy's old home place, and some I've just found on our land and out and about.

I picked these up on the job today in the woods, washed in from the Colorado River. I didn't have a pack on at the time so I only wound up with what I could carry, but there were countless others I wish I could have gotten.

Unknown half-pint liquor bottle, Hiram Walker and sons liquor bottle, Listerine, McCormick (vanilla or somesuch), couple cough medicine or similar, Hinds Honey and Almond Cream, what looks like a snuff bottle, and I'm guessing the blue one is an apothecary bottle. Sure wish I could know the history of these things.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump, damnit! I'd also be curious to know when plastic screw on caps entered the fold..Walker bottle looks old as shit but it has a plastic cap.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
All I see are targets.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bump, damnit! I'd also be curious to know when plastic screw on caps entered the fold..Walker bottle looks old as shit but it has a plastic cap.
View Quote

Just throw the cap away.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
In storage now but I have a large collection of old bottles, some found and some gotten at garage sales.
Most are old booze or morphine and other narcotic like bottles as well as snake oil medical ones.

Cool history
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a few that we collected over the years.

My family had an interest in a bottling company (briefly) in the late 1800s.

We have managed to find a few of those bottles which are pretty cool.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I have quite a few, lots of medicine bottles, old beer and milk bottles from where I grew up. My current neighbor is from nearby where I grew up and as a pastime used to dig up old trash pits in the woods. He has tons and Gave me a bunch.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I inherited a large collection of antique glass, there's probably a lot of bottles in there if I had to guess.  
Still haven't been to the property to see it yet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q572/ATCzero1/Bottles%20straight%20edited_zpsp9xc6kmd.jpg
View Quote
Very cool collection. I dig those jugs.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a shot glass to go with the old booze bottles

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#11]
You appreciate them more when they are clean.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You appreciate them more when they are clean.

View Quote
Yep. I'm gonna clean 'em up.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q572/ATCzero1/Bottles%20straight%20edited_zpsp9xc6kmd.jpg

The two smaller ones are ginger beer bottles.

The larger one with the handle is an Apollinaris water bottle
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Whiskey decanters from the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair - now in my family for 112 years and in pretty fair shape.  I believe the lettering to be in gold.  One has a chip in it and the stoppers are different, don't know which one is correct.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#15]
>OP, how far (OLD) does your property go back?
I now live in N.E., OH, property was a large farm that was sold and split into individual parcels in 1870.
Is a  mound in the back half, probably an old privy pit, have got bottles back to 1860's or so.
Lot of old beer and booze bottles that trace back to 1870's according to old brewers records from around here.
Friend contacted YSU, Archeology Professor brought his students out for a 2 day dig last summer.
He said it is the most artifacts he ever found in one place in the state.
Will be a few years of cleaning and cataloguing before we get the report.
Was cool how they mapped off the dig area, slowly and gently dug, sifted, all areas were staked out with huge nails and string, just like a History Channel Show.
Did make the local news.

ETA-They barely went deeper than 1 foot, area maybe 8x10 feet, he said they barely scratched the surface and he can't wait to come back again. The hump is WAY bigger than that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

>OP, how far (OLD) does your property go back?

I now live in N.E., OH, property was a large farm that was sold and split into individual parcels in 1870.

Is a  mound in the back half, probably an old privy pit, have got bottles back to 1860's or so.

Lot of old beer and booze bottles that trace back to 1870's according to old brewers records from around here.

Friend contacted YSU, Archeology Professor brought his students out for a 2 day dig last summer.

He said it is the most artifacts he ever found in one place in the state.

Will be a few years of cleaning and cataloguing before we get the report.

Was cool how they mapped off the dig area, slowly and gently dug, sifted, all areas were staked out with huge nails and string, just like a History Channel Show.

Did make the local news.

ETA-They barely went deeper than 1 foot, area maybe 8x10 feet, he said they barely scratched the surface and he can't wait to come back again. The hump is WAY bigger than that.
View Quote
I believe my great-great grandparents were on it in the late 1800s. Not sure about before that. I'll ask my grandmother.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#17]
A bunch of farm dumps in the woods around my grandfathers place.
After the rain you find all kinds that work their way up.
I'll take a picture next time I go and repost.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Very cool. As a kid my family rented an 1800's farmhouse and we used to go digging for them a few inches dowwn, found several like the blue bottle in the middle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top