Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Operation Iraqi Liberation
OIL
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went to war for the same reason everyone else did, I wanted to be the first guy on my block to get a confirmed kill.
View Quote

Fortune and Glory!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Because they're fucking idiots who believe everything they hear on ABC, CBS, NBC, or read on Huffpost.

Edit because I forgot CNN and DU.
View Quote

Interesting theory.

So, given all the other conflicts in the world, why would you insert yourself into the middle of that particular an age old conflict in a land on the other side of the world?

I'm not calling you out as right or wrong, nor am I disagreeing with the potential motives.  However, it is not an unreasonable position to question the motives for the actions taken.  

If not money, control over markets and concern over stability,then what drove the interventions made?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

9/11 maybe justified invading Afghanistan, but with the benefit of hindsight, people in Saudi Arabia probably had more to do with 9/11 than the Iraqis.

The military goes where politicians tell them to go.  The fact that they go somewhere doesn't automatically make the politicians right.

To your point, it was never as simple as oil or 9/11
View Quote

Of course not. Our politicians are rarely right.

And often the truth does lie somewhere in the middle, in shades of gray.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dick Cheney said that anyone who believes that is delusional.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We don't go to war for oil.

We go to war to preserve the status of the US dollar as it relates to buying and selling oil and international credit and lending.

Dick Cheney is an evil heartless man who continually lied to promote his own agendas.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Petroleum has been a national security issue since the late 70's.

FWIW, I saw Chinese oilfield workers flying in/out of southern Iraq from a US military base in 2010...
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]
TLDR
We wouldn't have been there if they didn't have oil.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Come on...US dollars are monopoly money if they aren't what's required for international oil transactions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We go to war to preserve the status of the US dollar as it relates to buying and selling oil and international credit and lending.

Come on...US dollars are monopoly money if they aren't what's required for international oil transactions.

OP doesn't even reserve currency yo.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I really don't get it.
View Quote

Because saying it works.

Have you never run into a liar before, or what?

I don't get what is so hard to understand about this.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Because they're fucking idiots who believe everything they hear on ABC, CBS, NBC, or read on Huffpost.

Edit because I forgot CNN and DU.
View Quote

Interesting theory.

So, given all the other conflicts in the world, why would you insert yourself into the middle of that particular an age old conflict in a land on the other side of the world?

I'm not calling you out as right or wrong, nor am I disagreeing with the potential motives.  However, it is not an unreasonable position to question the motives for the actions taken.  

If not money, control over markets and concern over stability,then what drove the interventions made?
View Quote

American conservative leadership thought they could box in Iran while taking out a bad actor, but they didn't count on the left stabbing them in the back and deliberately letting everything go to hell with quite so much enthusiasm.

In my opinion, the invasion of Iraq was a mistake for precisely that reason.   It was a replay of Vietnam not in the military sense, but in the political sense.    They even had some of the same people pulling the same nonsense, like John Kerry.

The west didn't just think Saddam had proscribed weapons; Saddam thought Saddam had proscribed weapons.   He most likely did have old stocks, many of which are still turning up, some by means of use.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Why do they say we invaded the Middle East for oil? Because they don't understand economics.

Liberals love to talk about peak oil, but they have a 100% shitty track record of predicting it. Because it still hasn't happened.

Oil is still a buyer's market, and will be for some time.

When your distant, smelly neighbors have absolutely nothing to sell on the global market except Product X, and you are the biggest consumer of Product X in the world, there's no need to spend a huge portion of your net income to kick that neighbor's ass when they start acting up. That would be stupid. Instead, you tell them to go fuck themselves while you buy Product X from the many suppliers who do good business.

You don't have to murder shitty suppliers in a buyer's market. You just have to talk about the great deals you're getting from the competition.

We invaded Iraq and Afghanistan for many different reasons, but securing oil supplies has never been one of them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which means we achieved our goals, no matter how much some people say we haven't won a war since WWII
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Destabilizing the ME drove gas to over $4 / gal.
View Quote

lol

So since gas is cheaper things are back in order? Noice!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've heard it said plenty of times. I generally hear it from professors, college students and the media.

You are going to have to explain to me how we are there for oil. I can maybe see how our presence supporting allies that sell us oil protects our interests. I don't think thats the reason we went to Iraq and Afghanistan following 9/11, and I'm not about the trust the people I normally hear this shit from.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who is they?

Yes...we are in the middle east for oil.

I've heard it said plenty of times. I generally hear it from professors, college students and the media.

You are going to have to explain to me how we are there for oil. I can maybe see how our presence supporting allies that sell us oil protects our interests. I don't think thats the reason we went to Iraq and Afghanistan following 9/11, and I'm not about the trust the people I normally hear this shit from.

Her statement is fucking retarted. Do a search on oil companies that are in Irak, when they signed up, and percentage of oil they got/get.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Why do they say we invaded the Middle East for oil? Because they don't understand economics.

Liberals love to talk about peak oil, but they have a 100% shitty track record of predicting it. Because it still hasn't happened.

When your distant, smelly neighbors have absolutely nothing to sell on the global market except Product X, and you are the biggest consumer of Product X in the world, there's no need to spend a huge portion of your net income to kick that neighbor's ass when they start acting up. That would be stupid. Instead, you tell them to go fuck themselves while you buy Product X from the many suppliers who do good business.

You don't have to murder shitty suppliers in a buyer's market. You just have to talk about the great deals you're getting from the competition.

We invaded Iraq and Afghanistan for many different reasons, but securing oil supplies has never been one of them.
View Quote
Wise words.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:54:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Look up the term "petrodollar" sometime.

It is a fact that our entire economy is propped up by other nations buying and selling oil in US dollars.

Iraq.  Said "hey, we're thinking about trading oil in some other currency."  Invaded.  Gov't destroyed.  Still trades in USD.

Libya.  Said "hey, we're thinking about trading oil in some other currency."  Invaded.  Gov't destroyed.  Still trades in USD.

If the world goes away from the petrodollar, our economy dies. Instantly.

So, yeah, we did technically go to war for oil.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:44:27 AM EDT
[#17]
We didn't go to Iraq to fight for oil. Shit, it got cold as fuck when I went and my commander couldn't even secure kerosene for us to keep warm. So we ended up burning JP8 in an ammo can. Now I probably have cancer.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:12:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We didn't go to Iraq to fight for oil. Shit, it got cold as fuck when I went and my commander couldn't even secure kerosene for us to keep warm. So we ended up burning JP8 in an ammo can. Now I probably have cancer.  
View Quote

Dude we all have cancer.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:43:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Where do you think we got all of that cheap oil?
Redeveloping old oilfields with modern pumping techniques, oil shale and cheap Canadian oil?
Are you high?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:51:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm on my 5th deployment right now and I have yet to bring home a single drop of an oil war trophy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:26:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Fuck man if only conservatives would come up with bonehead soundbites with the skill and ferocity of the progressives.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#22]
We did go (to Iraq) for oil. The lie isn't that we went for oil, the lie is that that is a bad thing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#23]
The idea was to catch bad guys, and at the same time to bring stability to the region of the world where most of our energy comes from. If the ME didn't have oil, they would be irrelevant.

I just think it's a shame we don't capture resources anymore and keep them from our enemy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:56:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who is they?

We didn't go to Afghanistan for oil. They don't have oil. We went to Afghanistan because the Taliban was giving safe haven to bin Laden. If they'd turned him over we never would have invaded.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bush 41 sure as shit invaded the Middle East for oil.  If not for oil, we wouldn't give a crap about Kuwait.  Bush 43 was just a clueless dolt, trying to make his daddy proud.

FTBF
View Quote

You're not very bright if you believe this.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

FWIW, I saw Chinese oilfield workers flying in/out of southern Iraq from a US military base in 2010...
View Quote

I'd say earlier than that.  Since the industrial age began.  You can't even fight wars without fuel.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Who is they?

View Quote

How many rigs are we operating in Iraq?

We are in the ME for oil, but not with the Military leading the way clearing pad site after pad site ever 40 acres so Haliburton can pay for its weather death machine.  I swear there is real dumb shit that gets posted in GD. By a 13er nonetheless
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Oil is just as important to our national security as food.  Our civilization would cease to function without the energy of oil.  That is changing some recently though.
View Quote

True, but we don't get most of our oil from the middle east.  Most of our oil comes from canada and now a significant portion is domestically produced.  But at the time, the majority of our oil imports came from the western hemisphere - Canada, Venezuela, Mexico and Columbia.

The war for oil meme is more politics from the left.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

True, but we don't get most of our oil from the middle east.  Most of our oil comes from canada and now a significant portion is domestically produced.  But at the time, the majority of our oil imports came from the western hemisphere - Canada, Venezuela, Mexico and Columbia.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oil is just as important to our national security as food.  Our civilization would cease to function without the energy of oil.  That is changing some recently though.

That is more recently.  The ME is still very oil rich though with easier to extract oil of better quality.  You don't want other nations to have control over that much energy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#30]
We did it because we cared about the human rights of middle eastern citizens. We fought for their freedom so that they could establish a democracy. If we helped them overthrow their government,  the people would build a society with pro western values and lifestyles
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#31]
I worked for a retired General in Herat Afg setting up a compound for TX A&M.   He had some pretty good insight to the whole ordeal.   He believed the end game was to use everyone else's oil before digging into ours.    The A&M thing was being setup for geologist to get an insight on the minerals there.    Tons of money to be made and guess who was picking up that tab?

As far as the reason for invading.   Its possible.   I set a very large oil company up in the Majnoon oilfield and uncle sugar was paying for every bit of that.   If the US wasn't picking up the tab there would have been no reason to pay me twice as much as someone from another country to be there.   I even had a LOA and CAC card for when I wanted to go to Basra or Baghdad and use .mil/.gov resources.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I worked for a retired General in Herat Afg setting up a compound for TX A&M.   He had some pretty good insight to the whole ordeal.   He believed the end game was to use everyone else's oil before digging into ours.    The A&M thing was being setup for geologist to get an insight on the minerals there.    Tons of money to be made and guess who was picking up that tab?

As far as the reason for invading.   Its possible.   I set a very large oil company up in the Majnoon oilfield and uncle sugar was paying for every bit of that.   If the US wasn't picking up the tab there would have been no reason to pay me twice as much as someone from another country to be there.   I even had a LOA and CAC card for when I wanted to go to Basra or Baghdad and use .mil/.gov resources.
View Quote

That actually makes a lot of sense in a long term national security point of view. Not only would it ensure we had enough oil to hold us over until transitioning to something else, it would give us economic leverage to export it elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Just because we don't need the oil is no reason to allow our enemies or potential enemies to get a free pass at the region.  We're sitting on huge reserves that we can exploit if the price per barrel is attractive.  The Middle East is still chock full of easily exploited cheap oil in a region with no real environmental controls, little regard for human life, and the kind of corruption that makes doing business fairly profitable.  If we don't get that oil locked up our enemies will.  But then again in a world with no borders or nations the whole thing starts to get a little fuzzy as to exactly who the real enemy is any more.  

We went in at first to get Bin Laden.  Then we decided to exploit our position of strength and try to gain a strategic leg up in the region.  Then we elected a moron who thinks it's a good idea to empower the locals with all sorts of free money and stuff.  Shoot, we're even solving their refugee mess for them.  They are sending their undesirables to the West and are consolidating power at our expense.  And we're paying for it.  How's that for a sweet deal?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just because we don't need the oil is no reason to allow our enemies or potential enemies to get a free pass at the region.  We're sitting on huge reserves that we can exploit if the price per barrel is attractive.  The Middle East is still chock full of easily exploited cheap oil in a region with no real environmental controls, little regard for human life, and the kind of corruption that makes doing business fairly profitable.  If we don't get that oil locked up our enemies will.  But then again in a world with no borders or nations the whole thing starts to get a little fuzzy as to exactly who the real enemy is any more.  

We went in at first to get Bin Laden.  Then we decided to exploit our position of strength and try to gain a strategic leg up in the region.  Then we elected a moron who thinks it's a good idea to empower the locals with all sorts of free money and stuff.  Shoot, we're even solving their refugee mess for them.  They are sending their undesirables to the West and are consolidating power at our expense.  And we're paying for it.  How's that for a sweet deal?
View Quote

The worst thing that happened to the ME was Obama. Had we managed to maintain the Bush administrations goals and strategy for 16 years rather than doing a reversal 8 year in, I think we'd be looking at a total different scenario than we are now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Funny. How we were supplying them free water yet paying them for their fuel while trying to rid them of the aggressors destroying them
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#36]
I used to refuse to believe this but have since changed my thinking.  Would the middle east even be relevant if it were not for oil ? Iraq invaded Kuwait because they wanted to seize the oil fields. We may have used the pretense for gulf war one to invade because a countries borders had been violated but would we have even cared if it was not for oil.  Plenty of other countries have been invaded and we didnt even bat an eye.  As for Iraq part 2 I think there was a personal interest of Bush Sr and Jr to remove Sadam and force Iraq to play nice.  I dont think Iraq not co operating with Nuclear inspections and WMD was a good enough reason. We went for Oil because it made them relevant
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'd say earlier than that.  Since the industrial age began.  You can't even fight wars without fuel.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but I was referring specifically to the Carter Doctrine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Wise words.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wise words.

Bull.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I used to refuse to believe this but have since changed my thinking.  Would the middle east even be relevant if it were not for oil ? Iraq invaded Kuwait because they wanted to seize the oil fields. We may have used the pretense for gulf war one to invade because a countries borders had been violated but would we have even cared if it was not for oil.  Plenty of other countries have been invaded and we didnt even bat an eye.  As for Iraq part 2 I think there was a personal interest of Bush Sr and Jr to remove Sadam and force Iraq to play nice.  I dont think Iraq not co operating with Nuclear inspections and WMD was a good enough reason. We went for Oil because it made them relevant
View Quote
That's right.  It wasn't for oil, but you can damn well bet it was about oil.  And there is nothing wrong with that, because oil is national security.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
what the hell are you basing this statement on?Please share the source of your wisdom on your rewrite of history
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Technically the British did the invading.  We're just holding territory.

what the hell are you basing this statement on?Please share the source of your wisdom on your rewrite of history

Actual history is interesting but it requires a little reading and thought to be appreciated.  From the British perspective the Middle Eastern theater of World War I was all about securing their interests in oil fields.  Their interest predates US involvement in the region by more than half a century.

Here is one of the pivotal early events in that part of the conflict:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Qurna

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Funny. How we were supplying them free water yet paying them for their fuel while trying to rid them of the aggressors destroying them
View Quote

That's the American way.  We're nice people.  We'll take your oil, but make sure you're taken care of.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Well one good thing about reading posts from a bunch of morons who cant write more then one sentence. At least you can get thru the thread quickly.

Of course we went there for oil and economic reasons. WTF else is there over there? "Freedom for the Kuwaitis"? Your kidding right? Yes there was the Political reasoning that we want our own tyrants that play ball instead of a lone operator like Saddam, cause if he'd gotten his hands on all that oil we'd all be walking to our $5 an hour jobs at walmart "if we were lucky". It would have been like Hitler having us by the balls.

But look we shot like 120 Tomahawk missiles at Libya to take out their AA defenses so Europe could protect THEIR oil and oil finance. At 1 m a missile what did that come out to? And we hardly buy any oil from Libya but oil and big money is all tied together in some way. Like its been said "Petro-Dollars". You dont have to buy their oil to be affected by their decisions.

This is all why its good to do 8 in the service, get some real good training or get into a unit, and then merc for a living. Theres big bucks to be made and the future looks like corporate armies fighting dirty war's because its Politically bad looking for the kids of America's poor and lower middle classes to come home in coffins over oil and resources. And that is what ALL future wars will be about, as if the past ones weren't.

The war on terror is a little different but even that is tied to oil in some way. We meddle in the Politics of these savages because we need the oil and the petro-dollars, tho I think they would hate us anyways. They would just find other exuses. In my time over there I found it a religion and a culture that simply NEEDS an enemy. One way or another they need someone to call "enemy".
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well one good thing about reading posts from a bunch of morons who cant write more then one sentence. At least you can get thru the thread quickly.

Of course we went there for oil and economic reasons. WTF else is there over there? "Freedom for the Kuwaitis"? Your kidding right? Yes there was the Political reasoning that we want our own tyrants that play ball instead of a lone operator like Saddam, cause if he'd gotten his hands on all that oil we'd all be walking to our $5 an hour jobs at walmart "if we were lucky". It would have been like Hitler having us by the balls.

But look we shot like 120 Tomahawk missiles at Libya to take out their AA defenses so Europe could protect THEIR oil and oil finance. At 1 m a missile what did that come out to? And we hardly buy any oil from Libya but oil and big money is all tied together in some way. Like its been said "Petro-Dollars". You dont have to buy their oil to be affected by their decisions.

This is all why its good to do 8 in the service, get some real good training or get into a unit, and then merc for a living. Theres big bucks to be made and the future looks like corporate armies fighting dirty war's because its Politically bad looking for the kids of America's poor and lower middle classes to come home in coffins over oil and resources. And that is what ALL future wars will be about, as if the past ones weren't.
View Quote

Not gonna lie, you got me to half chub when you mentioned corporate armies fighting wars for resources.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not gonna lie, you got me to half chub when you mentioned corporate armies fighting wars for resources.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aint gonna Lie. Big money to be made if you get the right training and get in the right company. Retired by 40yo with a lot of dough made tax free. At least get trained as a medic, these outfits love medics. And DONT get married or have kids. The future is bright for combat troops who want to go private and have the skills. The more fucked up the world gets the more money to be made.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

this..
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Had to wipe-out that Kill-Dozer.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Who is they?

View Quote

Yup to keep supplies stable. And keep the petrol dollar.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

That's right.  It wasn't for oil, but you can damn well bet it was about oil.  And there is nothing wrong with that, because oil is national security.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gulf of Tonkin was used to justify Nam.  And in MacNamaras own documentary he admits they were wrong.  Either its a bad game of telephone or intentional
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Frac those fraccing fraccers
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#50]
All wars are fought over resources.  We need resources to live.  Doesn't matter if it's food, water, or energy.  Yes, some connections between war and resources are more tenuous than others, but they're there.

The next time some mamby-pamby cries "We only fought the war oil," look 'em straight in the eye, and ask them "Yeah, so?"
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top