Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2016 3:53:54 PM EDT
It is a Canon multi thingy printer, scanner, etc.

It is out of black ink, no big deal, I just want to scan a pic into my iMac.

No go, it says and error occurred and scanning was canceled, check the error message on the display.

Error 'Check Ink'
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Turn off and back on?

Shake ink cartridge then replace?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Already did the turn off and back on thing.

Scanning should never be dependent of quantity of ink in the damn thing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#4]
cheap inkjets are cheap (and shitty) for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
cheap inkjets are cheap (and shitty) for a reason.
View Quote

It's a Canon though, not some Sangyang thing sold at flea markets.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No go, it says and error occurred and scanning was canceled, check the error message on the display.

Error 'Check Ink'
View Quote

multi-function gear is popular, but is always a compromise.

printers basically sell for the cost of the components because they make all their money off ink sales.  a $150 printer is going to be a better printer than a $150 multi-function device.
you may spend more, but you get better gear by buying a separate print and scanner.

also, if something breaks or is out of ink, it has no effect on the other...
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont have a cannon scanner/printer anymore for this exact reason.  Meaning when this happened to me a few months ago, along side the non stop warranty violoation noticess,  I decided I didnt need that sort of drama in my life.

I smashed the fucking shit out of that cannon printer that day and threw it in the trash.  Best day of my life.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Error 'Check Ink'
View Quote

Cmon man. iMac?

You should have ink in it anyways. Whats the use of a printer without ink, regardless of what functions it has? I say none.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Throw it out and buy a new one.

Multifunction printer/scanner things are about the same price as ink. Fuckers
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Just take a picture with your phone.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#12]
At least it doesn't say "PC Load Letter"
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Check and see if there's a setting like "scan to file"
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Cmon man. iMac?

You should have ink in it anyways. Whats the use of a printer without ink, regardless of what functions it has? I say none.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Error 'Check Ink'

Cmon man. iMac?

Wife used it heavily for her BSN and the ink is dry, haven't gotten to Staples yet for a new cartridge.

This is all software though, not hardware.

Some kid fresh out of school was assigned to write the control software and got lazy and treated every error the same.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Error 'Check Ink'
View Quote

Take a look here: https://consumerist.com/2013/01/24/if-you-want-to-scan-without-an-ink-cartridge-maybe-dont-buy-an-all-in-one-at-all/

There is a very easy way to use all in 1 printers without ink (at least for my Epson all in 1). Use the Windows built in scanner software instead of the software that came with your printer. You can access this by clicking “Start” then “Devices and Printers.” Then, you should be able to select the scanner icon, which launches the windows scanning utility. This will work regardless of ink status.
View Quote

From here: https://www.google.com/#q=canon+won't+scan+because+of+low+ink%3F

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh for crying out loud!

Anybody with HALF a brain knows it was DESIGNED in Cupertino, CA,

MANUFACTURED in China!

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oh for crying out loud!

Anybody with HALF a brain knows it was DESIGNED in Cupertino, CA,

MANUFACTURED in China!

View Quote

Canon?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Check and see if there's a setting like "scan to file"
View Quote

It does have that, but this just using the 'Open Scanner' option before I even get to pick 'scan to file'
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Actually, Canon might be innocent here, I am using the Apple control panel thingy, limp wristed, latte sipping developers there are probably to blame.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

What the fuck does that mean?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Actually, Canon might be innocent here, I am using the Apple control panel thingy, limp wristed, latte sipping developers there are probably to blame.
View Quote

Apple Campus, Cupertino, California 95014

Hell with it-

Go for a ride.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#23]
its not just Canon. Epson pixma, Lexmark all in ones, Dell branded all in ones, and HP officejets have done the same thing. ink dries out, I want to print black, I have a black cartridge, I put in the black cartridge, cant print black only. cant even copy in black and white mode from the front panel of the printer. cant scan using the front panel or the manufacturers software.

I have given up on color inkjet printers as primary printer. I have a laser all in one as my primary. Single function color inkjets are cheap enough that they are cheaper to replace than to feed ink.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#24]
If there is a little window on the side of the ink cartridge, try putting electrical tape over it to fool the sensor
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#25]
"...it's Sony guts."
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Throw it out and buy a new one.

Multifunction printer/scanner things are about the same price as ink. Fuckers
View Quote

This.  Load up at Wal-Mart on black Friday.  Run out of ink, throw it the fuck out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paper Cartridge: Load Letter size paper.

And yes, I get the movie reference.

This is for those who really want to know.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#28]
That's the new norm with some printers.....  I bought a Kodak printer that adds were boasting about how cheap the ink is.  Bought it for sole purpose of printing B/W reports....  NEVER printed any color prints and after a month I went to print and it was pulling say crap saying color ink cartridge was out and beside the road it went
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This post made me think of this oldie but goodie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#31]
But you were the genius that bought it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's the new norm with some printers.....  I bought a Kodak printer that adds were boasting about how cheap the ink is.  Bought it for sole purpose of printing B/W reports....  NEVER printed any color prints and after a month I went to print and it was pulling say crap saying color ink cartridge was out and beside the road it went
View Quote

Not a Kodak but I had the same thing happen. I ended up with a printer that had  a laser on a shark head. BW only . I am so much happy now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Those bastards rig it so you spend a fortune on ink.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought an Epson that you pour ink into.  Claims about 10,000 pages before I need new ink.  Cost $400 but I am worry free on ink for the next ever.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#36]
We've got a laser printer (HP) from '95 or so in our office.  One of those big-ass 11x17 production models for an engineering office.  Today, the "toner" message came up, last of the supply is now gone.

The new toner is $600
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#37]
As a self employed IT person my job description has changed from "all around computer and networking tech", into telling old folks to check to make sure their fucking printer is plugged in, then going over and plugging it in for them when they can't figure out how to do it themselves.  

It's about driving me out of the business.  These same people who, if their goddam toaster doesn't work they'd check to make sure it's plugged in, can't plug their printer back in and have to have a "computer guy" come do it for them.  

Fuck that, I'd rather cook burgers for a living.

TL;DR -  Old IT man, shakes fist at old people who can't plug their printer back in themselves.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#38]
I still have this shitty all in one HP printer from 8-10 years ago that I keep refilling the same cartridge with bulk ink from Amazon. I must be doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm sitting next to a Cannon MX922 as I type this. The only reason I bought it was to print labels directly onto DVDs for work projects. I print everything else on a HP color laser printer.

I've never had any issues out of the Cannon unit. In fact, for a $100.00 unit...I'm fairly impressed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#40]
My HP doesn't pull that weak shit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I dont have a cannon scanner/printer anymore for this exact reason.  Meaning when this happened to me a few months ago, along side the non stop warranty violoation noticess,  I decided I didnt need that sort of drama in my life.

I smashed the fucking shit out of that cannon printer that day and threw it in the trash.  Best day of my life.
View Quote

THAT is your high point? Ouch.

Maybe you should get out more.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We've got a laser printer (HP) from '95 or so in our office.  One of those big-ass 11x17 production models for an engineering office.  Today, the "toner" message came up, last of the supply is now gone.

The new toner is $600
View Quote

Try replacing all 4 toners in a HP color laser. I started charging my kids 25 cents a page and magically they didn't need their movie tickets printed in color anymore.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#43]
They don't make money selling printers.  They make money selling ink.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I own a Canon, too.

About half the time I print something I NEED to scan another document as well.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I had a Cannon 3 in one printer that died back during the winter.

I was bored and decided to take it apart to see if I could find anything wrong.

Holy fucking shit, that thing must have had about a 1000 parts.

Plastic gears, springs of all sizes and types.

Wires running everywhere.

No damn way a human assembled that thing.

I'm surprised that it lasted as long as it did.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#46]
My buddy uses cheap printers till they are out of ink then they become reactive targets because a new printer is cheaper than the ink from the flea market
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:44:56 AM EDT
[#47]
See if you can turn off your ink monitor program & try again.

Once I figured it out I was able to run all the cartridges dry before tossing it for a laser.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:22:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Error 'Check Ink'
View Quote

I tossed a Brother All In One inkjet because it did this. I had it set to just print black and white using the black cart but eventually it evidently used up all of one of the color carts cleaning the heads, screeched to a halt and wouldn't print anymore until I replace that color cart even though I wasn't using it. I replace the printer instead.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
its not just Canon. Epson pixma, Lexmark all in ones, Dell branded all in ones, and HP officejets have done the same thing. ink dries out, I want to print black, I have a black cartridge, I put in the black cartridge, cant print black only. cant even copy in black and white mode from the front panel of the printer. cant scan using the front panel or the manufacturers software.

I have given up on color inkjet printers as primary printer. I have a laser all in one as my primary. Single function color inkjets are cheap enough that they are cheaper to replace than to feed ink.
View Quote

The HP All In One I had actually would print with just the black good.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:53:23 AM EDT
[#50]
I was trying to explain how to use a scanner to my cousin.  It was too complicated so she snapped a picture with her iPhone,
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top