Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#1]
So glad my wife threw away two "expired" pen that had been stored in our climate controlled house.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I agree that's the root of the problem.  So why are we angry at this company?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't we do something similar in the past under a similar situation that resulted in what we used to call "Baby Bells"?

Monopolies are not to be allowed under capitalism as it defeats the purpose.

What you see here is a monopoly plain and simple.

Capitalism has fuck all to do with this.

Yes, a government-enforced monopoly.

Which GD celebrates.

Because, capitalism.

Even though monopolies are anticompetitive.

And competition is a key feature of capitalism.

Because they're crony capitalists in bed with the govt.  That makes them the govt.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#4]
crony capitalism in five easy steps:

1.  BIG (finance, pharma, etc.) company writes (finance, pharma, etc. law) and emails it to lobbyist.
2.  Lobbyist wines and dines congresscritter, then emails to congress
3.  Congress passes
4.  ??????
5.  Profit

Not capitalism; weaponized legislation to keep out competition.  Been like this a long time.

Oligarchy
Fascism
Etc.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Crony Capitalism is why many people hate capitalism.  Freedom requires morals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Crony capitalism of the worst kind - having Daddy pass a bill so her overpriced $600 device which delivers $1 worth of epinephrine has to be carried on every airliner. That she is not being excoriated like Martin Shkreli is a crime in and of itself.

I don't even bother with calling it Crony Capitalism for just that reason, to me, it's just Cronyism.

There are so many areas of our economy that don't even resemble a free market, and yet it's the free market that gets the blame for this kind of behavior.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Setting the price you want is fine, but in this case it seems like the govt has pulled some shenanigans.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No.

The Epi-pen will punch through clothing, and takes very little dexterity.

Self injecting with a syringe in the middle of an anaphalactic event, is actually quite laughable.

If self injecting with a syringe is feasible, it's still early enough to counter the reaction with plain old Benedryl, and drive to the ER.

At the onset, you don't know how fast the reaction will be.

If misjudged, you're fucked opening a door, let alone dicking around with a syringe and a wimpy needle.

Last full reaction I had, tunnel vision set in within 5 Min. of noticing hives, and I could not dial a damn thing on the phone, or figure out how to open the damn tractor cab.

Luckily, the benedryl worked long enough, to figure out how to get the cap off the Epi-Pen, and woke up under the damn tractor still trying to dial 911.

The delivery system is the key here.

It's the same as Atropine/ Twopam chloride in the individual NBC kit issued during the cold war.

Manchins Cunt daughter is cashing in on shit already paid for long ago, and her globalist Cunt puppet masters have arraigned the matter to sell universal coverage.

It really is that simple.

We gave her competitors Govt. the rights to the delivery system.

Free market has nothing to do with it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

some desperate patients who  can't afford EpiPens anymore have turned to filling syringes with  epinephrine themselves — an extremely tricky and potentially  dangerous alternative.

LOL its not that hard to fill a syringe.

Try it when you can't feel your fingers, have tunnel vision, confusion and disorientation sets in, and your heart rate is Palp over zero.

The Epi-Pen is a solution because of the delivery system. Any tard can apply it, and it is workable for those disabled, disoriented, and alone, to self inject.

Fuck up the dose with Epi, or fail to get the job done, and you're dead.

It sounds like you're a volunteer to demonstrate it's not needed.

Dibs on your stuff.

Wouldn't filling the syringe ahead of time and carrying it in a protective case basically be the same as an Epi-Pen?  

No.

The Epi-pen will punch through clothing, and takes very little dexterity.

Self injecting with a syringe in the middle of an anaphalactic event, is actually quite laughable.

If self injecting with a syringe is feasible, it's still early enough to counter the reaction with plain old Benedryl, and drive to the ER.

At the onset, you don't know how fast the reaction will be.

If misjudged, you're fucked opening a door, let alone dicking around with a syringe and a wimpy needle.

Last full reaction I had, tunnel vision set in within 5 Min. of noticing hives, and I could not dial a damn thing on the phone, or figure out how to open the damn tractor cab.

Luckily, the benedryl worked long enough, to figure out how to get the cap off the Epi-Pen, and woke up under the damn tractor still trying to dial 911.

The delivery system is the key here.

It's the same as Atropine/ Twopam chloride in the individual NBC kit issued during the cold war.

Manchins Cunt daughter is cashing in on shit already paid for long ago, and her globalist Cunt puppet masters have arraigned the matter to sell universal coverage.

It really is that simple.

We gave her competitors Govt. the rights to the delivery system.

Free market has nothing to do with it.

Yeah my first bought with anaphalactic shock this summer was a pretty harrowing experience.  Thread is archived.

And although it took about 20-30 minutes to hit me I did not recognize the symptom initially.

By the time I realized I was proper fucked, I couldn't keep benedryl down from throwing up.

40 minutes in I could not stand up, full body hives and vision was completely fucked up.

I ponied up and got ass raped for two epi-pens for about $642 if I remember correctly.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Because they're crony capitalists in bed with the govt.  That makes them the govt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't we do something similar in the past under a similar situation that resulted in what we used to call "Baby Bells"?

Monopolies are not to be allowed under capitalism as it defeats the purpose.

What you see here is a monopoly plain and simple.

Capitalism has fuck all to do with this.

Yes, a government-enforced monopoly.

Which GD celebrates.

Because, capitalism.

Even though monopolies are anticompetitive.

And competition is a key feature of capitalism.

Why is it so had for people to understand this.  These companies lobby the govt to shut out competition.  Yes we should be mad at govt for passing laws like this, but the govt did this on the request of businesses.  They are the primary culprit.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What cost should they be allowed to sell them for?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh. The fact it even exists for you to buy is just this side of a miracle when you think about what's required to develop and make something like that.

If you put me in a lab for 1,000 lifetimes, I'll probably never be able to make an epipen. So I'll pay whatever it costs.

Bullshit

That isn't capitalism. It is just pure scalping. They were making and selling it for $100 now $550. No extra cost to manufacure. Same stuff. No new development cost.

They are sorry mother fuckers

Rx companies are propped up by the FDA. Do some research.
What cost should they be allowed to sell them for?

Whatever they want, but without a free market (which does not exists for prescription drugs in the USA) competition does not exists to control their pricing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because, thanks to Obamacare, passed in part by the vote of the CEO's father, this price increase is being paid for by our taxes. In a free market, competition would keep the price of EpiPens low. Thanks to Democrat corruption, Senator Manchin's daughter just raised her pay and benefits package to $18,000,000 annually. Of course, she will funnel some of that windfall into contributions to Democrats to keep the spigot open.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crony capitalism of the worst kind - having Daddy pass a bill so her overpriced $600 device which delivers $1 worth of epinephrine has to be carried on every airliner. That she is not being excoriated like Martin Shkreli is a crime in and of itself.

No, it requires politicians who are not bought and sold to keep free market captialism alive.

In other words, politicans need to go to jail for selling favors and accepting bribes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#12]
From what I understand our tax dollars paid for the development of the delivery system for our military so IMHO it is not capitalism to insist that the pens be available at a set percentage price above production costs.

You take our tax money for development of a delivery system and yeah, there should be strings attached to how much you can sell it to the public for.

Develop it on your own dime and you can charge what you want.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So the problem is the FDA?

Why aren't we hearing a clammoring rankous outcry against them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh. The fact it even exists for you to buy is just this side of a miracle when you think about what's required to develop and make something like that.

If you put me in a lab for 1,000 lifetimes, I'll probably never be able to make an epipen. So I'll pay whatever it costs.

Bullshit

That isn't capitalism. It is just pure scalping. They were making and selling it for $100 now $550. No extra cost to manufacure. Same stuff. No new development cost.

Don't disagree but at that price they have opened a market hole that a competitor can fill.

Its not like eippens are magical or contain magical stuff.  They contain epinephrine which isn't a drug that is novel or expensive.  The part that they made possible was self administration.

That company will be forced to drop the price when they lose their market after someone else puts a similar product out.

Except the length of time the FDA regulatory approval pipeline requires will ensure their high-price monopoly stays in place for years.

And nobody will approve a common/cheaper alternative because of liability and malpractice blowback (driven by our litigious/vengeful society)

All hail the legal/regulatory industrial complex.  

So the problem is the FDA?

Why aren't we hearing a clammoring rankous outcry against them?

Because when they rush a drug to market that makes people lose weight and a bunch of fatties die, they're monsters.

When they take their time vetting a drug, they're monsters for letting people die.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Where is Windsor and how do you get new epi-pens there?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
25 years ago you had a pre filled syringe with a twistable plunger that would give you 3 or 4 doses of Epi, you just had to twist the plunger for the next dose. This came in a red plastic box about wallet sized, Then you had Atrophine auto injectors.

At some point they started putting Epi in the Auto injectors, changed the colors and now are charging out the ass for them.

Even with the cost of a new passport, its worth it to me to drive to Windsor to get new pens.

Where is Windsor and how do you get new epi-pens there?

Its in Ontario, Canada

A 6 hour drive for me.  Ive been lucky the last few  years, as either work, or the VA has replaced my pens.  But Im no longer lucky......

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Should the State regulate how much profit can be made off an item?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

Should the State regulate how much profit can be made off an item?

I get what you guys are saying but this is not Capitalism. There are so many layers of corruption, scams, back door deals, et cetera, that there is no way this can be compared to Capitalism.  

The problem isn't an ideology, much like a thing like a gun although people like to blame "things". The problem, as usual, is people. Greedy, power hungry sociopaths to be exact.

Capitalism isn't perfect but it's the best system to date. What people have to remember us it still needs some regulation. Business is an entity to serve only one purpose; make profit. That's it. If the business could get away with not paying employees, not paying other cost of business expenses, it would. These companies that donate money to good causes do it for the positive public image that will result in more sales. That's all.

Once again this is a symptom of a larger problem. Our scumbag, corrupt government and the nonsense they've been pulling for quite some time.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Epipen is a brand name there is a generic that is Much cheaper.  just buy the generic and quit complaining
View Quote
Didn't the fda just ban the generic?

Shenanigans!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Lol... how many of the ARFCOM hypocrites shouting "their company their rules" still refuse to shop at CTD, Troy, etc?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#19]
You really want to get pissed off, go work in some foreign countries and pick up some of your prescription meds and compare that to the prices you pay in the USA.

It's fucking outrageous the ass raping we get for drugs here.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They didn't kill the victims... they're just looting the corpses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn't kill the victims... they're just looting the corpses.

Quit letting that killer run free and there wouldn't be bodies to loot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So what is your out-of-pocket cost for one?  Just curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what is your out-of-pocket cost for one?  Just curious.

Obamalamadingdong ruined my companies insurance so the one I bought for my 2 year old cost me almost $600.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Epipen is a brand name there is a generic that is Much cheaper.  just buy the generic and quit complaining
View Quote

"Much cheaper" is $450.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lol... how many of the ARFCOM hypocrites shouting "their company their rules" still refuse to shop at CTD, Troy, etc?
View Quote

Their rules have consequences.  Get rid of the unnecessary barriers and this company would be broke for their choices.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Bullshit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

In before the same ARFCOM douchebags who say that it isn't price gouging--it's the free market, son.
You know...the same dealers who boost prices 200-300% when a bad shooting occurs or when Congress talks about
gun-control?  Can't have it both ways, it would seem.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

But Epi is not that kind of drug. You can buy a vial of Epi for just a couple bucks; it is probably one of the most inexpensive drugs out there. What you're paying for is the spring loaded syringe patent. That is it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Just get a script from the vet and get you a 50ml bottle for $20.99

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=27a43c2c-2282-47a9-a24d-f7696b019e96

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
  Why is it so had for people to understand this.  These companies lobby the govt to shut out competition.  Yes we should be mad at govt for passing laws like this, but the govt did this on the request of businesses.  They are the primary culprit.  
View Quote

Strongly disagree.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#29]
How long will it take for a black market of Epipens?  

People will go to other countries, buy them, and then sell them.  No different that what happens in NYC with cigarettes.  I have a few old ones, I should sell them for half and still make a killing.

I read where it costs $10.00 to produce them.  Even if they only sold for $110.00, that would be 100% profit by the company.   Monopoly they have.......
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Strongly disagree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strongly disagree.

What, that businesses ask their cronies in government to pass legislation to kill off their competition and protect their bottom line?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What, that businesses ask their cronies in government to pass legislation to kill off their competition and protect their bottom line?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strongly disagree.

That they are primary culprit.  The government that sets up the barriers on a company's request is the primary culprit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#32]
LMAO

I love this place. All the blind corporate cock sucking and defending of cronyism because if you dare to ever criticize any business for any reason, you're a liberal socialist communist.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

"Much cheaper" is $450.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Much cheaper" is $450.

I just looked at Good RX and it's available for $144.62 locally.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How long will it take for a black market of Epipens?  

People will go to other countries, buy them, and then sell them.  No different that what happens in NYC with cigarettes.  I have a few old ones, I should sell them for half and still make a killing.

I read where it costs $10.00 to produce them.  Even if they only sold for $110.00, that would be 100% profit by the company.   Monopoly they have.......
View Quote

Math fail.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That they are primary culprit.  The government that sets up the barriers on a company's request is the primary culprit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strongly disagree.

They feed off each other.

It's why Hillcunt is meeting in secret with all the CEOs.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You really want to get pissed off, go work in some foreign countries and pick up some of your prescription meds and compare that to the prices you pay in the USA.

View Quote

It's so much easier when you (insurance) are paying with other people's (tax payers) money.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'd do it... provided I had a patient who knew what they were doing.  I'd probably make them do the calculation, and draw it up in front of me before I prescribed it... but I don't see why it would be a no-go.  We do this for insulin (once the patient has been instructed/trained)... why not Epi?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SO I can just walk into a pharmacy and ask for a vial of epinephrine?

Nope, and you won't find a doctor anywhere to give you a prescription for it.

I'd do it... provided I had a patient who knew what they were doing.  I'd probably make them do the calculation, and draw it up in front of me before I prescribed it... but I don't see why it would be a no-go.  We do this for insulin (once the patient has been instructed/trained)... why not Epi?

We have had to train all the firefighters on drawing up medication & administration of IM injection. So, we now have vials & got rid of tge auti-injectors for them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Their rules have consequences.  Get rid of the unnecessary barriers and this company would be broke for their choices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sooooo easier said than done.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Bullshit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

No retard.

Go read up on the Diprovan lawsuit and get back to us.

Lots of people are able to make epinepherine and you can get a multidose vial for $5. People just love brand names and schools/facilities want idiot proof methods
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#42]

No such thing as epipen when I was a kid.

Did the whole world pussificate since then?

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Make your own then. It's their product, they can price it to whatever they want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are so out of the loop on this and full of shit it's absurd.

This company didn't invent epinephrine and the price does not reflect their R&D costs.

This is a tightly regulated industry by the FDA and the company is using that fact along with a lot of lobbying to turn a profit.  There is nothing capitalist about this.  They are squeezing the system to make more money at the expense of everyone who would benefit from it.

Make your own then. It's their product, they can price it to whatever they want.

Not when the government is making sure no one else can make them.  It's rigged, and is NOT capitalism.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So glad my wife threw away two "expired" pen that had been stored in our climate controlled house.
View Quote

I hope she threw them in a sharps.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You must be too young to have lived the glory days of unregulated drug reps!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hopefully Auvi-Q can get their shit straightened out.  That is a much easier product to use and carry.

Probably depends on if the the Auvi-Q reps are willing to put out more than the epi-pen reps.

Ummm... "put out?"

I've never received sexual favors from a drug rep.

You must be too young to have lived the glory days of unregulated drug reps!

If the Pfizer rep shows up with Viagra samples, would you consider that sexual favors?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Bullshit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

Start your own company. Profit by selling for less. It's easy. What's stopping you?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then this will never stop.  You may get this one company to roll back but you are treating the symptom rather than the disease.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Considering I can get an ampule of epi for about five bucks, and administer my own damned SQ or IM injection with an insulin syringe?

Yeah... $600 for a two-pack of Epi-Pens just looks bad.
View Quote

How long does that last?

I got one for a back packing trip years ago for a group.  It's now in my Emergency first aid kit along with some 'slin pins.  It's been stored at 72* in a bag in a drawer.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
It's so much easier when you (insurance) are paying with other people's (tax payers) money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I take BP medicine because I have deep seated anger issues with all things retarded in this world apparently.

My Linisopril script is I want to say about $65 a month in Saudi Arabia the exact same medicine, in the exact same box by the exact same drug company was just under $13 for a month of pills.

And this is after shipping them across the planet (7,000 miles) and paying all the customs fees and distribution to bum fuck nowhere northern territories Saudi Arabia and the pharmacy made a profit.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No such thing as epipen when I was a kid.

Did the whole world pussificate since then?

View Quote

No, people just died.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top