Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am calling horse shit on that. Look at the bombing of Tokyo...Lemay devised a plan of sending in bombers first with loads of incinendiaries to light the mainly wood and paper city on fire, then bombers with regular HE to blow the burning parts everywhere else and light up the entire city. It was deliberately planned to destroy/kill as many people in Tokyo as possible.

The same with the fire bombing of Dresden...

I don't have a problem with waging total war, and I don't have a problem with killing civilians to destroy the will of the enemy to fight. But don't whitewash wash it because you think we were lilly white warriors.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't remember him admitting he'll commit war crimes.

Jesus...how sad that all Hillary has to run on is lies, lies, and more lies.

He said we were fighting a politically correct war and to take out the terrorists, you had to take out their families. When someone said that the American military would not follow that order, he said something to the effect that they would if told them to, because he was a great leader.  This was a month or two back though, so he may have changed his mind by now.

ETA: "The other thing with the terrorists is you have to take out their families, when you get these terrorists, you have to take out their families. They care about their lives, don't kid yourself. When they say they don't care about their lives, you have to take out their families," Trump said.

This came off the CNN website so it could be part of the Vast Left Wing conspiracy to keep America from becoming great again.  Just the first source I stumbled on for the (supposedly) actual quote.

I believe that's called total war, and it's how we defeated Nazi Germany and imperial japan.

No, I believe deliberately targeting civilian non-combatants is called war crimes and we executed a bunch of people for that shit after WW 2.  In WW 2, we targeted industrial and transportation centers and infrastructure.  Since a lot of these were in populated areas and even daylight  "precision" bombing wasn't very precise, there was a lot of collateral damage including civilian casualties.  This is a wholly different thing than going to Achmed's house and "taking out" his family.

I am calling horse shit on that. Look at the bombing of Tokyo...Lemay devised a plan of sending in bombers first with loads of incinendiaries to light the mainly wood and paper city on fire, then bombers with regular HE to blow the burning parts everywhere else and light up the entire city. It was deliberately planned to destroy/kill as many people in Tokyo as possible.

The same with the fire bombing of Dresden...

I don't have a problem with waging total war, and I don't have a problem with killing civilians to destroy the will of the enemy to fight. But don't whitewash wash it because you think we were lilly white warriors.....

I didn't say we were lily white.  We targeted their economies and industries and that involved killing civilians. We didn't target civilians.

In any case, the WW 2 strategic bombing campaig is utterly irrelevant to Trump's stated intent to "take out" terrorists families.  The WW 2 equivalent of the latter would be my tongue-in-cheek example of to "take out" Rommel's family.  Can you cite any evidence that we ever had a policy of doing that kind of thing?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

At the end we firebombed them to kill civilians and even more in Japan. It was to break their
spirit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe that's called total war, and it's how we defeated Nazi Germany and imperial japan.

No, I believe deliberately targeting civilian non-combatants is called war crimes and we executed a bunch of people for that shit after WW 2.  In WW 2, we targeted industrial and transportation centers and infrastructure.  Since a lot of these were in populated areas and even daylight  "precision" bombing wasn't very precise, there was a lot of collateral damage including civilian casualties.  This is a wholly different thing than going to Achmed's house and "taking out" his family.

We firebombed Germans and even more on the Japanese. It was attack on civilians and
very large numbers of them were killed.

We attacked Axis industry, rail transportation, infrastructure, and economies, killing civilians by the tens of thousands; we didn't specifically target civilians.  We didn't say, "Here's the address to Rommel's house, go drop a bomb on it. If we kill his old lady and his kids, maybe he'll get depressed and retire."

At the end we firebombed them to kill civilians and even more in Japan. It was to break their
spirit.

OK, if you want to believe the national objective of the United States in WW 2 was to kill civilians, fine.  It's totally irrelevant to Trump's stated intent to kill the families of terrorists.  The WW 2 equivalent to the latter isn't the strategic bombing campaign, it's my tongue-in-cheek example of Rommel's family.  Can you cite any evidence that killing the families of specific individuals was ever US policy?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just like FBHO has been doing?
View Quote

first and second posters are slipping
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

OK, if you want to believe the national objective of the United States in WW 2 was to kill civilians, fine.  It's totally irrelevant to Trump's stated intent to kill the families of terrorists.  The WW 2 equivalent to the latter isn't the strategic bombing campaign, it's my tongue-in-cheek example of Rommel's family.  Can you cite any evidence that killing the families of specific individuals was ever US policy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We firebombed Germans and even more on the Japanese. It was attack on civilians and

We attacked Axis industry, rail transportation, infrastructure, and economies, killing civilians by the tens of thousands; we didn't specifically target civilians.  We didn't say, "Here's the address to Rommel's house, go drop a bomb on it. If we kill his old lady and his kids, maybe he'll get depressed and retire."

spirit.

I sure don't know where you are getting that idea about me. But I was just pointing out a

fact about what we did and we did kill a bunch of them with fire, especially in Japan.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Just like Clintons did in the 90's.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Dresden. Believe the point was to demoralize the civilian population to press their leadership to surrender. Civilians were considered infrastructure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dresden. Believe the point was to demoralize the civilian population to press their leadership to surrender. Civilians were considered infrastructure.

Dresden was also a rail and communications center.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Jim Ryan
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She is projecting.

Anyone remember when the Clintons pulled the FBI files of rivals in 1990s?

Remember when Senatorial candidate Obama got his opponent's sealed divorce records unsealed by an activist judge and went public with them?

Jim Ryan
HMMMM?

What is the airspeed of a laden swallow?

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Project much, ya evil bitch.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I sure don't know where you are getting that idea about me. But I was just pointing out a
fact about what we did and we did kill a bunch of them with fire, especially in Japan.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

spirit.

I am quite aware that we killed a bunch of them by a variety of means.  Now, got any historical support for Trump's plan to assassinate the families of terrorists, quite a part from killing the terrorists themselves, I mean?  
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:12:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I didn't say we were lily white.  We targeted their economies and industries and that involved killing civilians. We didn't target civilians.

In any case, the WW 2 strategic bombing campaig is utterly irrelevant to Trump's stated intent to "take out" terrorists families.  The WW 2 equivalent of the latter would be my tongue-in-cheek example of to "take out" Rommel's family.  Can you cite any evidence that we ever had a policy of doing that kind of thing?
View Quote

You are wrong. Bomber Harris and Curtiss Lemay absolutely purposefully targeted civilian populations. There is no ambiguity to that fact. Again, to maximize damage and casualties, Lemay devised a specific plan for bombing Tokyo...

"On the night of 9–10 March ("Operation Meetinghouse"),[12] 334 B-29s took off to raid with 279 of them dropping 1,665 tons of bombs on Tokyo. The bombs were mostly the 500-pound (230 kg) E-46 cluster bomb which released 38 napalm-carrying M-69 incendiary bomblets at an altitude of 2,000–2,500 ft (610–760 m). The M-69s punched through thin roofing material or landed on the ground; in either case they ignited 3–5 seconds later, throwing out a jet of flaming napalm globs. A lesser number of M-47 incendiaries was also dropped: the M-47 was a 100-pound (45 kg) jelled-gasoline and white phosphorus bomb which ignited upon impact. In the first two hours of the raid, 226 of the attacking aircraft unloaded their bombs to overwhelm the city's fire defenses.[13] The first B-29s to arrive dropped bombs in a large X pattern centered in Tokyo's densely populated working class district near the docks in both Koto and Chuo city wards on the water; later aircraft simply aimed near this flaming X. The individual fires caused by the bombs joined to create a general conflagration, which would have been classified as a firestorm but for prevailing winds gusting at 17 to 28 mph (27 to 45 km/h).[14] Approximately 15.8 square miles (4,090 ha) of the city was destroyed and some 100,000 people are estimated to have died.[15][16] A grand total of 282 of the 339 B-29s launched for "Meetinghouse" made it to the target, 27 of which failed to return due to enemy action, mechanical failure, or being caught in updrafts caused by the massive fires.[17]"

To believe we didn't target civilians in order to destroy the will of the enemy to continue the fight is naïve. In fact the two nukes dropped were specifically used to break the will of Japan once and for all...

Again, I have no qualms with any of it....you want to wage a war against us, pay the price.

Same with terrorists. If you want to think about it, the families of terrorists are their war industry, cranking out new terrorists...so it could be considered strategic bombing of enemy infrastructure.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Of course the Butcher of Benghazi knows that it appears hypocritical to warn her constituents that their political opposition might use their same illegal tactics against them.

What she is merely doing is reminding her base that only HER regime should control the levers of power in order to utilize every effective, illegal means to destroy their enemies. She plans to commit more totalitarian persecution, and her hordes expect her to.

Her indirect message is "The IRS is no problem, people. We own the media/entertainment/education complex, too. And we have controlled the FBI and ATF for decades. I can crush my adversaries and your adversaries, but don't forget to vote, just to make the election appear legit anyway."
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He said we were fighting a politically correct war and to take out the terrorists, you had to take out their families. When someone said that the American military would not follow that order, he said something to the effect that they would if told them to, because he was a great leader.  This was a month or two back though, so he may have changed his mind by now.

ETA: "The other thing with the terrorists is you have to take out their families, when you get these terrorists, you have to take out their families. They care about their lives, don't kid yourself. When they say they don't care about their lives, you have to take out their families," Trump said.

This came off the CNN website so it could be part of the Vast Left Wing conspiracy to keep America from becoming great again.  Just the first source I stumbled on for the (supposedly) actual quote.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still whining, huh
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You are wrong. Bomber Harris and Curtiss Lemay absolutely purposefully targeted civilian populations. There is no ambiguity to that fact. Again, to maximize damage and casualties, Lemay devised a specific plan for bombing Tokyo...

"On the night of 9–10 March ("Operation Meetinghouse"),[12] 334 B-29s took off to raid with 279 of them dropping 1,665 tons of bombs on Tokyo. The bombs were mostly the 500-pound (230 kg) E-46 cluster bomb which released 38 napalm-carrying M-69 incendiary bomblets at an altitude of 2,000–2,500 ft (610–760 m). The M-69s punched through thin roofing material or landed on the ground; in either case they ignited 3–5 seconds later, throwing out a jet of flaming napalm globs. A lesser number of M-47 incendiaries was also dropped: the M-47 was a 100-pound (45 kg) jelled-gasoline and white phosphorus bomb which ignited upon impact. In the first two hours of the raid, 226 of the attacking aircraft unloaded their bombs to overwhelm the city's fire defenses.[13] The first B-29s to arrive dropped bombs in a large X pattern centered in Tokyo's densely populated working class district near the docks in both Koto and Chuo city wards on the water; later aircraft simply aimed near this flaming X. The individual fires caused by the bombs joined to create a general conflagration, which would have been classified as a firestorm but for prevailing winds gusting at 17 to 28 mph (27 to 45 km/h).[14] Approximately 15.8 square miles (4,090 ha) of the city was destroyed and some 100,000 people are estimated to have died.[15][16] A grand total of 282 of the 339 B-29s launched for "Meetinghouse" made it to the target, 27 of which failed to return due to enemy action, mechanical failure, or being caught in updrafts caused by the massive fires.[17]"

To believe we didn't target civilians in order to destroy the will of the enemy to continue the fight is naïve. In fact the two nukes dropped were specifically used to break the will of Japan once and for all...

Again, I have no qualms with any of it....you want to wage a war against us, pay the price.

Same with terrorists. If you want to think about it, the families of terrorists are their war industry, cranking out new terrorists...so it could be considered strategic bombing of enemy infrastructure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you believe there is no military value to destroying a belligerent nation's capital city over and above the number of civilian casualties inflicted?  Terrorists' families are no more a war industry than are American families, yet it is the act of attacking American families that causes us to label them terrorists.  I think maybe you might want to stop looking into the abyss.

I'll ask you again: can you cite any U.S. historical precedent for asassinating terrorists families, apart from killing the terrorists themselves.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Fuck that cunt
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Still whining, huh
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still whining, huh

Still peddling the idea that your turd is inerrant, huh
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And you believe there is no military value to destroying a belligerent nation's capital city over and above the number of civilian casualties?  Terrorists' families are no more a war industry that are American families, yet it is the act of attacking American families that causes us to label them terrorists.  I think maybe you might want to stop looking in to the abyss.

I'll ask you again: can you cite any U.S. historical precedent for asassinating terrorists families, apart from killing the terrorists themselves.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you believe there is no military value to destroying a belligerent nation's capital city over and above the number of civilian casualties?  Terrorists' families are no more a war industry that are American families, yet it is the act of attacking American families that causes us to label them terrorists.  I think maybe you might want to stop looking in to the abyss.

You said we did not target civilians. I pointed out you are mistaken.

Targeting the families of terrorists is another question. Wars change, tactics change. Typically you cannot win a war using the tactics of the previous war(s). The Civil War proved fighting using the tactics of the Revolutionary War and War of 1812 did not work. Fighting WWI using Civil War tactics did not work.

Tactics and enemies evolve. Maybe your tactics need to also.

The war being waged by terrorists is different than any war we have fought. Thinking outside the box may be necessary....

You win wars by destroying the will of your enemy to fight. Japan and its people, and its leader were willing to arm every man, woman and child and let them fight the invaders as they landed. With pikes.

Dropping the nuclear bomb, twice, broke that will completely. There was no need to invade and face them on the beaches of their home islands.

If you are a terrorist, and you don't care about throwing your life into the fires of jihad and claiming your 72 Virgins in exchange to taking the lives of infidels, perhaps you might think twice if you knew your actions would rain fire upon your family and home town.

Perhaps not. Then it becomes a matter of who runs out of targets first. But perhaps that is the only true endgame to this war.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a hard time believing the Progressives within the IRS would go after fellow Dems with the same zeal and malignance that they attacked Conservatives with.

Bitch be projecting.

The IRS under the 0bama Regime has set the bar high for the shit they can get away with, with no more than a full year paid vacation as "punishment";

I fear that is nothing compared to what a weaponized IRS and EPA would do under the Klintons.
View Quote

Dude, the only people Progressives will fuck over faster than a Conservative is a fellow Progressive who isn't deemed "Progressive enough"...  

Zealots are always much harsher on dissidents their own ranks than on their enemy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Now we're talkin'...."
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Hillery's SCARED!!!!

Trump is gonna ROLL her...

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Fuck you, bitch.

Stroke the fuck out already, end this fucking shit show.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still whining, huh

Look-

No one is stopping you from voting for Hillery!

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Targeting the families of terrorists is another question. Wars change, tactics change. Typically you cannot win a war using the tactics of the previous war(s). The Civil War proved fighting using the tactics of the Revolutionary War and War of 1812 did not work. Fighting WWI using Civil War tactics did not work.

The war being waged by terrorists is different than any war we have fought. Thinking outside the box may be necessary....

You win wars by destroying the will of your enemy to fight. Japan and its people, and its leader were willing to arm every man, woman and child and let them fight the invaders as they landed. With pikes.

Dropping the nuclear bomb, twice, broke that will completely. There was no need to invade and face them on the beaches of their home islands.

If you are a terrorist, and you don't care about throwing your life into the fires of jihad and claiming your 72 Virgins in exchange to taking the lives of infidels, perhaps you might think twice if you knew your actions would rain fire upon your family and home town.

Perhaps not. Then it becomes a matter of who runs out of targets first. But perhaps that is the only true endgame to this war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We did not target civilians.  We targeted military value the civilians represented, and then only rarely.

The nuclear bombs didn't break the will of the Japanese people to fight.  Most of the Japanese people weren't even aware of them and the Japanese government wasn't responsive to the people anyway.  Three things prompted the Japanese government to surrender: the bombs, the entry of Russia into the war, and an understanding that the Emporor would not be tried as a war criminal.

I will ask you again: can you cite a U.S. historical precedent for asassinating the families of terrorists as a means of waging war, apart from killing the terrorists themselves?

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#25]
It isn't even funny anymore.  It's bad enough that they are dirty as hell, get caught, and nothing EVER comes of it.  Now they are insinuating that we can't trust their political opponents because they *might* do the very same things.  And these people are running our country.  They keep getting elected and keep amassing more and more power.  You can't make this shit up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://mark1marti2.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/lemay01.jpg

"Now we're talkin'...."

I'll grant you that's pretty funny, but it's also irrelevant.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#27]
So things won't really change if Trump is elected?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Look-

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still whining, huh

Look-

No one but Hillary, though, God knows, you're doing your best to change my mind.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We did not target civilians.  We targeted military value the civilians represented, and then only rarely. Wow, again, you are wrong, but whatever helps you sleep

The nuclear bombs didn't break the will of the Japanese people to fight. sure, sure, its just a coincidence they surrendered right after the second bomb fell.. Most of the Japanese people weren't even aware of them and the Japanese government wasn't responsive to the people anyway.  Three things prompted the Japanese government to surrender: the bombs, the entry of Russia into the war, and an understanding that the Emporor would not be tried as a war criminal.

I will ask you again: can you cite a U.S. historical precedent for asassinating the families of terrorists as a means of waging war, apart from killing the terrorists themselves?

View Quote

I will ask you, can you cite a precedent of combatants taking over airliners and crashing them into buildings?

Who cares if there is a historical precedent...evolution means things change.

There is plenty of historical precedent of the efficacy of the Infantry Square, but its probably not a great tactic to use against terrorists....

So your continuous query about assassinating the families of terrorists as a means of waging war is meaningless. Do you think Truman and his advisors worried that there was no historical precedent for dropping A-Bombs on your enemy?

Because there is no "historical precendent" to any particular tactic, does that mean it can't be a valid tactic? Because it sounds like that is what you are saying...mind you I am not asking if its a morally acceptable tactic, but your argument seems to be since there is no precedent for it, it should not be considered? Seems like limiting your tactical response is ensuring your ultimate defeat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:07:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I will ask you, can you cite a precedent of combatants taking over airliners and crashing them into buildings?

There is plenty of historical precedent of the efficacy of the Infantry Square, but its probably not a great tactic to use against terrorists....

So your continuous query about assassinating the families of terrorists as a means of waging war is meaningless. Do you think Truman and his advisors worried that there was no historical precedent for dropping A-Bombs on your enemy?

Because there is no "historical precendent" to any particular tactic, does that mean it can't be a valid tactic? Because it sounds like that is what you are saying...mind you I am not asking if its a morally acceptable tactic, but your argument seems to be since there is no precedent for it, it should not be considered? Seems like limiting your tactical response is ensuring your ultimate defeat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We did not target civilians.  We targeted military value the civilians represented, and then only rarely. Wow, again, you are wrong, but whatever helps you sleep

The nuclear bombs didn't break the will of the Japanese people to fight. sure, sure, its just a coincidence they surrendered right after the second bomb fell.. Most of the Japanese people weren't even aware of them and the Japanese government wasn't responsive to the people anyway.  Three things prompted the Japanese government to surrender: the bombs, the entry of Russia into the war, and an understanding that the Emporor would not be tried as a war criminal.

No, I am not.  America traditionally does not wage war on non-combatants who have no military value.

No, they just happened to do it after two nuclear bombs, the entry of Russia into the war, some kind of murky assurance that the Emperor would not be tried as a war criminal.

A simple "no" would have sufficed, but thank you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:12:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm, you didn't answer my question....

So we agree, Jane states that if there is no historical precedent for a certain tactic, it shall never be used....let the record show.

And we have targeted civilians. So there. I understand you want to stick with the old "we were targeting their houses, its not our fault they happened to be in them" wink, wink, nudge, nudge chestnut.

Very good.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:21:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Good
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:22:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Trump will bankrupt American like he did with his companies -HRC
Trump will use the IRS to go after his critics -HRC

You just cannot make this stuff up because she supports the very same policies
as Obama, but with even more free stuff and that got us a nearly doubling of the national debt in just 8 years.

The Clinton's used the IRS to go after enemies and critics.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:23:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So she's admitting he's Presidential Material by modern standards.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So we agree, Jane states that if there is no historical precedent for a certain tactic, it shall never be used....let the record show.

And we have targeted civilians. So there. I understand you want to stick with the old "we were targeting their houses, its not our fault they happened to be in them" wink, wink, nudge, nudge chestnut.

Very good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very good.

No need to get all pissy. The point is: absent even arguable military value, the deliberate asassination of non-combatants is a war crime, and is, as national policy, without precedent in American history.  In other words, Shermanesque fantasies notwithstanding, Trump's stated intentions to "take out" terrorists' families ain't happening.  And all TOT accomplished by saying that stupid shit was to hand Clinton a club with which to beat him.

I am reconciled to debasing myself by voting for the turd in order to help prevent a Clinton presidency.  It doesn't seem unreasonable for me to expect that he make some minimal effort to ensure my sacrifice is not in vain.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Now we're talkin'...."

Sorta relevant, because of the "CNN Effect."  The USA is no longer willing to engage in total war because politicians fear the 24-hour newscycle's capability to control the narrative.  The American public today has little tolerance for video of stacks of bodybags or caskets filled with dead American youth, or of gruesome remains of innocent human shields surrounding a vital military target that we hit.  And our enemies (both foreign nations and non-state actors) know this and exploit it effectively at the tactical and strategic levels.  So, our ROE tries to limit collateral damage to zero, tries to limit fratricide to zero, and ultimately makes us strategically ineffective.

Lemay understood total war at the strategic level, as did Sherman (I don't like what he did to the South, but I have to admit that he was ahead of his time).  The German Blitzkreig tactics as used in Poland and France understood the spirit of total war (albeit not in that context) at the tactical and operational levels: Why engage the mass of your forces in a head-to-head fight with the mass of the enemy forces when instead you can concentrate on blowing a hole through a weak part of the enemy's front line, pour in a bunch of rapidly-moving armored all-terrain vehicles (with 3-5 days of fuel, ammo, and other basic sustainment needs riding alongside them) with the specific mission to bypass strongpoints and capture or destroy things like commo clusters, headquarters units, fuel depots, etc. that are vital to the effectiveness of the enemy forces?

Put another way, which makes more sense:  (a) Tell Mike Tyson you are going to beat his ass with your bare fists unless he gives you $100, or (b) hold a gun to his mother's head and tell him you will blow her brains out, then his next of kin, so on down the line, unless he gives you $100?  Much honor in COA (a); much more effectiveness in COA (b).

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:01:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Sorta relevant, because of the "CNN Effect."  The USA is no longer willing to engage in total war because politicians fear the 24-hour newscycle's capability to control the narrative.  The American public today has little tolerance for video of stacks of bodybags or caskets filled with dead American youth, or of gruesome remains of innocent human shields surrounding a vital military target that we hit.  And our enemies (both foreign nations and non-state actors) know this and exploit it effectively at the tactical and strategic levels.  So, our ROE tries to limit collateral damage to zero, tries to limit fratricide to zero, and ultimately makes us strategically ineffective.

Lemay understood total war at the strategic level, as did Sherman (I don't like what he did to the South, but I have to admit that he was ahead of his time).  The German Blitzkreig tactics as used in Poland and France understood the spirit of total war (albeit not in that context) at the tactical and operational levels: Why engage the mass of your forces in a head-to-head fight with the mass of the enemy forces when instead you can concentrate on blowing a hole through a weak part of the enemy's front line, pour in a bunch of rapidly-moving armored all-terrain vehicles (with 3-5 days of fuel, ammo, and other basic sustainment needs riding alongside them) with the specific mission to bypass strongpoints and capture or destroy things like commo clusters, headquarters units, fuel depots, etc. that are vital to the effectiveness of the enemy forces?

Put another way, which makes more sense:  (a) Tell Mike Tyson you are going to beat his ass with your bare fists unless he gives you $100, or (b) hold a gun to his mother's head and tell him you will blow her brains out, then his next of kin, so on down the line, unless he gives you $100?  Much honor in COA (a); much more effectiveness in COA (b).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Now we're talkin'...."

I appreciate you taking your time to share your thoughts with me.  Please scroll up and read my last post to K98guy.  I'm too tired to go thru all this again.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:21:20 AM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Now we're talkin'...."

WWCLD
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

At a campaign event in Springfield, Illinois Wednesday afternoon presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton warned Donald Trump would use the military and IRS "to go after his critics and opponents."

"He says as commander in chief he would order our troops to commit war crimes and insisted they would follow his orders, even though that goes against decades of military training and the military code. He's banished members of the press who have criticized him, is there any doubt he would do the same as president?" Clinton asked.

"Imagine if he had not just Twitter and cable news to go after his critics and opponents, but also the IRS, or for that matter our entire military," Clinton said. "Given what we have seen and heard, do any of us think he'd be restrained?"

That is some world class projection there, considering that is exactly what zer0's admin did and what we are currently seeing with Clinton in the media and social media.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Oh, you mean like what Obama did?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#42]

1. I don't think donald's gonna try to do anything domestically with the military.
2. Even if he does, the military is sworn to defend the constitution, not the President. So he's kinda limited when it comes to that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Actually, I would bet that is Hillary's plans.
View Quote

Democrats always accuse their opposition with things they are or want to do. Without exception.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Remember... Nixon got impeachment for even TALKING about using the IRS against his political opponents.

He didn't actually DO it.

The current crew actually DID it.  

And not a single day in prison, or a single dollar of their pension taken away... for ANY of them.
View Quote

Just delete your emails, and act confused when you are investigated. Your comrades and the press will cover for you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#45]
BWAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#46]
"We have concluded that Lois Lerner did nothing criminal"...............DOJ

"We have lost track of over 2,000 semi auto rifles sold to Mexican drug cartel members by failing to follow them and notify the Mexican authorities of this happening.  But this had nothing to do with a political desire by this Administration to gut the Second Amendment"..........ATF

Now what the fuck were you lying or camouflaging about this time Hillary/Satan/Al Capone?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#48]
As if she wouldn't, given the opportunity...  power hungry hag.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top