BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You could push it with a laser powered by solar cells somewhere around the orbit of Mercury maybe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Soooo Massive solar cells and ion-propulsion? If I recall right the thrust output is very weak at best, but it's steady and constant, soooo with time you would be getting up to serious speeds, at which point you most also ask the question, what about navigation at those speeds to avoid objects? Or small objects, you know say the size of a pebble, striking the ship at those speeds would be worse than a bullet wouldn't it?
There is no stellar in INTERstellar space.

You could push it with a laser powered by solar cells somewhere around the orbit of Mercury maybe.

dust, especially from Ort cloud will deminish the output. interstellar winds will push it significantly and unpredictably off course.

particle physics research, finding and manipulating the particle responsible for gravity is the key. without breaking the chain of gravity brute force attempts will be futile.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Soooo Massive solar cells and ion-propulsion? If I recall right the thrust output is very weak at best, but it's steady and constant, soooo with time you would be getting up to serious speeds, at which point you most also ask the question, what about navigation at those speeds to avoid objects? Or small objects, you know say the size of a pebble, striking the ship at those speeds would be worse than a bullet wouldn't it?

Then it would be coasting to a star 4.2 light years away.

And solar cells don't produce much energy per unit mass.

To impart initial booster velocity, lasers would be useful, but you need something to add velocity along the way and to slow you down when you get there.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Interesting, can't wait to learn more.

But as a species, we are not yet mature enough to expand into other solar systems. Maybe in a hundred years, but I doubt it. Hopefully by the time we can get there, we'll be mature enough to no longer be fighting one another over piddly shit.

Because as it stands, if we start to colonize other worlds, there will be all sorts of stupid, pointless wars.
View Quote

Lol. 100 years?

Humans have been fighting violent wars for what? 6,000 years?

It will never end. It is human nature.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#4]
It is a dumb planet anyway.  But VERY cool that they detected around an M Class Dwarf.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Would love for us to find out, but I suspect we would not find anything. I believe earth is a bit of a anomaly in its habitability. More likely to find a Mars or a Venus or a gas giant.  I am a big believer that our space program needs a giant kick in the ass though to get us the know how to get us off this rock. Would love to see 20 percent of the military budget allocated towards that goal.
View Quote

Do you have any idea how many planets are out there? Earth being the only habitable one would be one HELL of a statistical anomaly.

I mean, Hubble focused on a black "empty" part of the sky for a few weeks, and discovered what? 10,000 GALAXIES? Not solar systems. Galaxies. As in Milky Way, which has 100-400 BILLION stars?

I don't think people can comprehend how small Earth really is. And how far other stars really are.

Which is why we will NEVER be able to reach another solar system, let along another galaxy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know there are those in the science fields who will disagree with me, but I feel as if we have been "on hold" with regards to exploration.  I'm not talking probes and robots.  I'm talking humans going and exploring and seeing what's "out there".

Frustrating.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When do we go?

I got nothing better to do, send me to take a look and report back.

You would need to engineer a ship that could sustain around 1G of acceleration and eventually reach a fraction of the speed of light.

I know.  Still volunteering.

But I'll probably be dead before they get around to it, so it's a moot point regardless.

We've had the technology to get there in a human lifespan since the 60's but making muslims feel good about themselves was more important.

I know there are those in the science fields who will disagree with me, but I feel as if we have been "on hold" with regards to exploration.  I'm not talking probes and robots.  I'm talking humans going and exploring and seeing what's "out there".

Frustrating.

Go where though?
There is nothing on the moon worth going back for and before we can send folk to mars the problem of protecting a crew from solar radiation needs to be solved.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#7]
sweet!  when do we leave?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Let's go kill them.
View Quote

That's the only reasonable course of action.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Does that mean 11 days is a year there?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Go where though?

There is nothing on the moon worth going back for and before we can send folk to mars the problem of protecting a crew from solar radiation needs to be solved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snippages>

We've had the technology to get there in a human lifespan since the 60's but making muslims feel good about themselves was more important.

Frustrating.

Go where though?

I'm not up-to-date on radiation protection, so I won't comment on that.

Where?  Out there.  The moon.  The asteroid belt.  Mars.  The outer solar system.  Humans need to be exploring.  Even if there is risk involved.

Nothing on the moon worth going back for?  Just a few off the top of my head...

Getting our eggs out of one basket.

Helium 3.  Abundant on the moon, not so much here.  If we reach nuclear fusion, He-3 will be in high demand.  Sooner than that, it is increasingly being looked at for medical applications, and right now is not so easy to manufacture and use on Earth.  Research on the moon could advance its application in medicine and possibly other fields.

Practical experience in design and construction of structures and mining in low-g conditions with extremes of heat/ cold and near vacuum/ minimal atmosphere.  Living and working in those same conditions.  Knowledge and skills necessary for long-term habitation of Mars and asteroids.  Learn it on the moon before going to Mars or the asteroids.

Research and development of manufacturing techniques to use lunar materials for the construction of ship parts.  Materials produced wholly or in part on the moon or in lunar orbit would require significantly less fuel compared to boosting off Earth.

Research.  Lower-gravity experiments, radio and optical observatories free of the clutter of Earth's atmosphere, etc...
IMHO and YMMV

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Why would we send humans anywhere.  Soon, you won't even be able to find any humans making burgers at a fast food restaurant - just robots.  Robots don't need sleep, atmosphere, food, poop and pee reclimation, entertainment, gravity, and can be put to sleep for years or decades at a time.

We couldn't send a rat to Mars and bring it back without terminal cancer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We started out in the center of the universe.....Now we are an inconsequential grain of sand in the universe.  Science consistently points to us being not special or unique?  

I guess it is kinda telling how silent the universe is though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's funny how someone can "conclude' that a planet or star may possibly be "inhabitable" when they can't really see it. You know, being that it is so fucking far away.

Explain to me how they see a star with such clarity from thousands of miles away, let alone lightyears?
First off, its a journalist writing this article, they have to drum up excitement for headlines.

Second, by "possibly habitable" it means it is within the habitable zone of the star.

In our own solar system mars and Venus would be considered "Possibly habitable" planets if they were discovered by this means. Not because anyone would know what their surface conditions are like, but because they are about the right distance from the sun.  That's all the words "possibly habitable" mean.

Said another way: "Possibly habitable" means that it is possible that the planets are not hellish nightmares instantly deadly to complex like as we know it.

We started out in the center of the universe.....Now we are an inconsequential grain of sand in the universe.  Science consistently points to us being not special or unique?  

I guess it is kinda telling how silent the universe is though.

Not it isn't. Not even in the slightest.

SNR > all.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm not saying we can all get along, peace-love-happiness hippie bullshit. There will always be competition. But we could stand to settle territorial disputes a hell of a lot easier with much less mess than we do right now. Thousands of soldiers dying, billions spent in munitions... It's huge waste. As I stated earlier, fighting is expensive. Even when you offset that cost by gaining new resources, we've been rebuilding the fucking nations we spent billions of dollars destroying. And if you don't take the resources, why the hell fight over them?

It's fucking stupid.

People keep missing what I've said; I was very clear. Fighting is expensive. Long, drawn-out war is very, very costly. Not just in the lives and the money, but in the loss of military strength and economic power. Simply destroying an enemy is far faster, and cheaper. Especially if we don't spend ten years helping them rebuild.

If we ever have to fight, we should gut them, take everything they have, and stop trying to take the moral "high road" on the world stage.

Let me make this very fucking clear; Killing is easy. Fighting is hard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just because you miss he point doesn't mean the other guy does.

That's true enough, but I suppose I should clarify my point. I don't believe in waging war; fighting is expensive. If we are attacked, we should not fight our enemy, we should destroy them with extreme prejudice, and do so in the cheapest, fastest, most efficient way possible. ISIS, Al Qaeda, the Taliban? We should have fucking nuked all of them, not dropped boots on the ground to look for them. We were not, and are not equipped to fight a guerrilla war in a foreign country.

If it were up to me, I would've left Iran and Iraq with a very simple ultimatum; shut the hell up, stop fighting each other, and keep the extremists in line, or I will turn Tehran, Baghdad, and every military base you have into fucking glass.

But, I'm an asshole.

But gaining priority access to resources is profitable. That is frequently done through wars. If we take the utopian unicorn golden path, our adversaries will be the ones waging, winning and gaining priority access.  This is basic human nature, proven time and again throughout millenia.  You sound naive, with all due respect.

I'm not saying we can all get along, peace-love-happiness hippie bullshit. There will always be competition. But we could stand to settle territorial disputes a hell of a lot easier with much less mess than we do right now. Thousands of soldiers dying, billions spent in munitions... It's huge waste. As I stated earlier, fighting is expensive. Even when you offset that cost by gaining new resources, we've been rebuilding the fucking nations we spent billions of dollars destroying. And if you don't take the resources, why the hell fight over them?

It's fucking stupid.

People keep missing what I've said; I was very clear. Fighting is expensive. Long, drawn-out war is very, very costly. Not just in the lives and the money, but in the loss of military strength and economic power. Simply destroying an enemy is far faster, and cheaper. Especially if we don't spend ten years helping them rebuild.

If we ever have to fight, we should gut them, take everything they have, and stop trying to take the moral "high road" on the world stage.

Let me make this very fucking clear; Killing is easy. Fighting is hard.

All of the greatest leaps in technology, across all aspects and sciences, have always come from conflict. It is simply survival of the fittest at a grand scale. If there is no need for war, there is no need to rapidly develop technology across the board; as lives aren't on the line.

War is needed to keep us developing and progressing as a species.

The Shadows had it right.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#14]
What I've heard about nukes is that they aren't that effective... .m.ore effective as deterrent than practical from a military perspective... As far as aliens, meh they arent gonna find any cause we were created... I won't rule it out b ut I doubt highly we gonna find  alien life before the second coming...
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What I've heard about nukes is that they aren't that effective... .m.ore effective as deterrent than practical from a military perspective... As far as aliens, meh they arent gonna find any cause we were created... I won't rule it out b ut I doubt highly we gonna find  alien life before the second coming...
View Quote

Maybe.

But it seems a little overkill to me to create so many hundreds of millions of galaxies and uncountable billions of stars for just us.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is absolutely no reason to go around the universe looking for fights.....Looking for friends sure.

The resources needed to go out looking for a fist fight are stupid.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#17]
We should give nasa a billion dollars to research this
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#18]
LDS believe there are inhabited worlds without number, so we are way ahead of you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

But as a species, we are not yet mature enough to expand into other solar systems. Maybe in a hundred years, but I doubt it. Hopefully by the time we can get there, we'll be mature enough to no longer be fighting one another over piddly shit.

Because as it stands, if we start to colonize other worlds, there will be all sorts of stupid, pointless wars.
View Quote

The human race isn't going to change in 100 years. That's one lifetime these days.

Environment and necessity are the only reason you'll see people change for good or bad.

If we HAD to leave the planet to save ourselves I think we would then become who we had to for survival.  It's our strongest instinct and I'm sure we've done some amazing things in our ancient history on our trip from the primordial ooze.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
LDS believe there are inhabited worlds without number, so we are way ahead of you.
View Quote

i really appreciated that LDS planetary stuff was a key structural point in the sci-fi show/novels 'the expanse'.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

To impart initial booster velocity, lasers would be useful, but you need something to add velocity along the way and to slow you down when you get there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are designs out that would allow it to decelerate using the same laser.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The highlighted part doesn't make sense. It's a planet, not a county. Imagine the Earth with no people on it and somebody lands there to colonize it. Another group of people also want to colonize it. The first group wants North America. No problem, enjoy it. We'll take Asia. Send over a nuclear space buggy when you're ready. We'll trade you some egg rolls for some cheeseburgers.

Suppose that humanity ignores your severely flawed reasoning (Both world wars started for reasons that go back several decades.) The Chinese colony in North America attacks the U.S. colony in Asia. You also forget that China and the United States are on the same home planet and, "What are you going to do about it?" has many different answers.
View Quote

Not trying to make a perfect metaphor. My point is that in the beginning like that, said colonies would be vulnerable; and it would take quite some time for us on earth to even find out if it was attacked. By the time we learn of it, for all we know, it was a freak accident or aliens. By the time we can get another ship out there, the enemy's new colony has had time to set up and dig in, since they would likely expect retaliation.

It sure as hell wouldn't be the first time someone screwed with us simply because they thought they could get away with it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Maybe.

But it seems a little overkill to me to create so many hundreds of millions of galaxies and uncountable billions of stars for just us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe.

That's the point. Human s are u unique. We are uniquely positioned to see everything an d given brain that comprehends all this stuff... Fermi paradox etc.... While I dont feel aliens and Christianity are mutually exclusive I just don't  see aliens being
"Discovered"...

Also, I feel current science is way too aethistic... Like how can they be objective if they v vehemently deny any possibility? Prob an old question  but I dont know the answer
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Because soldiers go off to die on the orders of politicians, who have no skin in the game.

America colonizes a new world; China bombs our colonies and starts their own. Why? Because they want to own the new world themselves, and they believe they can get away with it. We can't project our entire military might all the way out there, nor can we learn of it fast enough to react and save them.

Many wars have been fought over pointless bullshit. Hitler started WW2; Japan bombed Pearl Harbor; Serbian assassins murdered the Archduke of Austria and kicked off the Great War.

I don't place the blame on those who fought back. I blame the assholes who provoked others.

War is inefficient. It is the worst possible diplomatic tool at our disposal, and has historically been the choice of short-sighted fools.
View Quote

None of that is pointless bullshit. Options for getting what you want are talk or war. When talk doesn't work, then you decide on going to war or not.

Japan's mistake at Pearl Harbor was in starting a war they couldn't win.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not trying to make a perfect metaphor. My point is that in the beginning like that, said colonies would be vulnerable; and it would take quite some time for us on earth to even find out if it was attacked. By the time we learn of it, for all we know, it was a freak accident or aliens. By the time we can get another ship out there, the enemy's new colony has had time to set up and dig in, since they would likely expect retaliation.

It sure as hell wouldn't be the first time someone screwed with us simply because they thought they could get away with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The highlighted part doesn't make sense. It's a planet, not a county. Imagine the Earth with no people on it and somebody lands there to colonize it. Another group of people also want to colonize it. The first group wants North America. No problem, enjoy it. We'll take Asia. Send over a nuclear space buggy when you're ready. We'll trade you some egg rolls for some cheeseburgers.

Suppose that humanity ignores your severely flawed reasoning (Both world wars started for reasons that go back several decades.) The Chinese colony in North America attacks the U.S. colony in Asia. You also forget that China and the United States are on the same home planet and, "What are you going to do about it?" has many different answers.

The earliest English colony in North America was lost, and all the early colonies were under Spanish threat.

That said, the US has a tech advantage that it could exploit. There is an advantage to getting there first. I think the US should take full advantage of its tech lead in space . . .
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Double
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:45:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

None of that is pointless bullshit. Options for getting what you want are talk or war. When talk doesn't work, then you decide on going to war or not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because soldiers go off to die on the orders of politicians, who have no skin in the game.

America colonizes a new world; China bombs our colonies and starts their own. Why? Because they want to own the new world themselves, and they believe they can get away with it. We can't project our entire military might all the way out there, nor can we learn of it fast enough to react and save them.

Many wars have been fought over pointless bullshit. Hitler started WW2; Japan bombed Pearl Harbor; Serbian assassins murdered the Archduke of Austria and kicked off the Great War.

I don't place the blame on those who fought back. I blame the assholes who provoked others.

War is inefficient. It is the worst possible diplomatic tool at our disposal, and has historically been the choice of short-sighted fools.

Japan was not sure if they could win, but they also believed we would eventually go to war due to their expansion and our competing interests.if they destroyed the whole of the pacific fleet it would have sent us back years. They saw the attack as a necessity..

Imo they would have been better off letting us have most of the important islands in the pacific and become allies (prob would have also needed to halt/reverse their expansion into southern China and India due to British interests. But without Pearl Harbor to polarize the public we may not have gone to war.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#28]
So what info was released about this?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
First we must send a probe.

We should call it Friendship 1.
View Quote

Or V'ger.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

They confirmed an earth mass planet in the habitable zone around Proxima.

No information beyond that is known at this point.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still a long stretch to say "habitable"...

From Proxima Centauri, both Venus and Mars would fit the criteria and neither is much of a vacation spot.

What we (probably, maybe) know:

- rocky
- not supermassive
- maybe in the right temperature range

And that's about it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's the point. Human s are u unique. We are uniquely positioned to see everything an d given brain that comprehends all this stuff... Fermi paradox etc.... While I dont feel aliens and Christianity are mutually exclusive I just don't  see aliens being
"Discovered"...

Also, I feel current science is way too aethistic... Like how can they be objective if they v vehemently deny any possibility? Prob an old question  but I dont know the answer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe.

"Discovered"...

There is no Fermi "Paradox." It's only a paradox to people that don't understand SNR or orders of magnitude. Nothing but schlock pseudo-science.

Science is atheistic...wtf?  Theism vs Atheism has literally zero to do with the scientific process or science et all.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, both Venus and Mars are potentially terraformable, so maybe this planet will be too.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well, both Venus and Mars are potentially terraformable, so maybe this planet will be too.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We just need a GECK and someone willing to pay the shipping...
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#35]
We could always resurrect the Project Daedalus idea
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not answering for Molotov, but Project Orion wasn't the only nuclear propulsion tech proposed.  We actually tested nuclear powered rockets in the 60s.

Project NERVA.  This is a 24 minute video.

http://youtu.be/vs3zNwXhzSA

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What technology is that?

I imagine he's talking about Project Orion

I was thinking about the same thing, but sending a probe instead of a crew.

ETA

This isn't pie in the sky, this is actually doable if the political will was there.  International effort to help defray costs.

Not answering for Molotov, but Project Orion wasn't the only nuclear propulsion tech proposed.  We actually tested nuclear powered rockets in the 60s.

Wasn't some of the problems with this technology that fact that you could potentially kill every life form you met along the way with Gamma radiation?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wasn't some of the problems with this technology that fact that you could potentially kill every life form you met along the way with Gamma radiation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What technology is that?

I imagine he's talking about Project Orion

I was thinking about the same thing, but sending a probe instead of a crew.

ETA

This isn't pie in the sky, this is actually doable if the political will was there.  International effort to help defray costs.

No.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Here's the problem; if/when Humanity gets off this rock and starts sending people to other worlds, then who gets to go?

Do we go find John Glenns and Alan Shepards or do we pick a diverse group of affirmative action candidates, feminazis, gays, muslim outreach candidates, econuts and sissy boys? Are we going to spread our strength by choosing our best, brightest, strongest winners, or are we going to spread our feels? If it is the former then I say go for it. If it is the later, then I hope the Chinese and Russkies beat us to it.

America needs to nut the fuck up before we start trying to spread out.
View Quote

We should do what Mexico does with illegals and send the "best and brightest" into space as fast as we can.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#39]
JWST should be able to see planets, up close and personal, when it's launched.

So maybe, we could get a good look at this planet in a few years.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

From Proxima Centauri, both Venus and Mars would fit the criteria and neither is much of a vacation spot.

- rocky

- not supermassive

And that's about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- rocky

- not supermassive

And that's about it.
They said "possibly habitable".

Thus, it isn't a stretch to say that.

"Possibly habitable" is very different from "most likely instantly deadly to life as we know it".

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:40:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

"Possibly habitable" is very different from "most likely instantly deadly to life as we know it".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- rocky
- not supermassive

And that's about it.

Though the latter is probably more probable, the former is indeed possible.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:09:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Typically they release more data than that. I don't recall even seeing a link on it here.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:11:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Lol. 100 years?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. 100 years?

Exactly how I feel. Mankind isn't advanced enough or mature enough and will never leave this rock

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:15:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Exactly how I feel. Mankind isn't advanced enough or mature enough and will never leave this rock

View Quote

I don't share your pessimism.  We have a lot of problems, but they're not insurmountable.  Taking that next step into space as a civilization may actually act as a galvanizing moment for us.  Growing into the role basically.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:19:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Do you have any idea how many planets are out there? Earth being the only habitable one would be one HELL of a statistical anomaly.

I mean, Hubble focused on a black "empty" part of the sky for a few weeks, and discovered what? 10,000 GALAXIES? Not solar systems. Galaxies. As in Milky Way, which has 100-400 BILLION stars?

I don't think people can comprehend how small Earth really is. And how far other stars really are.

Which is why we will NEVER be able to reach another solar system, let along another galaxy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would love for us to find out, but I suspect we would not find anything. I believe earth is a bit of a anomaly in its habitability. More likely to find a Mars or a Venus or a gas giant.  I am a big believer that our space program needs a giant kick in the ass though to get us the know how to get us off this rock. Would love to see 20 percent of the military budget allocated towards that goal.

The biggest piece of evidence that faster than light travel is impossible is the lack of anyone showing up and the lack of intelligent noise in the universe.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:48:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The biggest piece of evidence that faster than light travel is impossible is the lack of anyone showing up and the lack of intelligent noise in the universe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Given the immensity of the universe, it'd be a miracle if they found us (or that they exist as a spacefaring species during the cosmic eyeblink of time in which we have been even vaguely interesting... and that assumes that practical interstellar travel is even possible).
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:57:46 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I can't wait to oppress them.

[/whitey]
View Quote
what if they were far more advanced than us and they were all White

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:12:16 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

- rocky

- not supermassive

And that's about it.

In our own solar system, the former is true of 2 of 3 planets in the habitable zone.

There are some places on mars that we could send simple earth life, and while it wouldn't survive long term (in terms of finding energy and continuing to metabolize, grow, and reproduce), also would not die right away. Slight changes in conditions might even enable it to survive. Also, there was a time in Mars' past where there was more water on the surface and they would have had a better chance of not dying.

No one is saying this place is probably habitable. Just possibly habitable.  Even if it were a place like mars and few, if any earth organisms could survive there, that would be a hell of a lot closer to an earth like planet than if it were a place like Jupiter or Mercury.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

In our own solar system, the former is true of 2 of 3 planets in the habitable zone.

There are some places on mars that we could send simple earth life, and while it wouldn't survive long term (in terms of finding energy and continuing to metabolize, grow, and reproduce), also would not die right away. Slight changes in conditions might even enable it to survive. Also, there was a time in Mars' past where there was more water on the surface and they would have had a better chance of not dying.

No one is saying this place is probably habitable. Just possibly habitable.  Even if it were a place like mars and few, if any earth organisms could survive there, that would be a hell of a lot closer to an earth like planet than if it were a place like Jupiter or Mercury.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- rocky
- not supermassive

And that's about it.

From what I recall there is a theory and some atmospheric evidence that Venus had water oceans on its surface in the distant past and a friendlier climate.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top