Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 52
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Definitely good stuff to show my students.    

I just have to show it, getting around the schools firewall blocking youtube entirely.

We may all be watching and listening to it from my phone.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fantastic video of the engines in slow motion, at launch.  I've only watched the first 10 minutes so far.

</iframe>

Amazing video.  Thanks for posting it Leisure.

I just have to show it, getting around the schools firewall blocking youtube entirely.

Maybe get a Chromecast to plug into your TV or projector (HDMI input). Then you can send videos from your phone to a larger screen. I used one the one year I taught a computer networking class to get around the youtube block at my school.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
buy a $35 Roku to attach directly to the media device (projector or monitor), and you can then stream the video from your phone directly to the Roku.
Hell, just ask them how to show it for the fastest solution.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fantastic video of the engines in slow motion, at launch.  I've only watched the first 10 minutes so far.

</iframe>

Amazing video.  Thanks for posting it Leisure.

Flash Video Downloader is a free Firefox extension that allows you to download Youtube videos as .flv files.  Which play perfectly on VLC Media Player.  

If your admin permissions won't allow VLC, you can drop the video into a Powerpoint slide and play it through there (ppt supports .flv files directly), as long as it's not too huge.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Well,  the robotics portion of this project may have gotten a bit harder to complete....   the robotics teacher is no longer working for the district.......  ok, well, no, that really won't make any difference given his involvement so far.

Now there is a long term substitute in place for the rest of the semester.  

It's been a frustrating semester trying to get his help in the project. Even harder holding my tongue.  My son has been working with no help from him on it.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems difficult to keep a robotics teacher up there.  Perhaps y'all could build one next year.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Seems difficult to keep a robotics teacher up there.  Perhaps y'all could build one next year.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you need some suggestions for the doors?  I'm sure you can get some good advice here.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Well,  the robotics portion of this project may have gotten a bit harder to complete....   the robotics teacher is no longer working for the district.......  ok, well, no, that really won't make any difference given his involvement so far.

It's been a frustrating semester trying to get his help in the project. Even harder holding my tongue.  My son has been working with no help from him on it.  

View Quote

What are the requirements to be a robotics teacher? I have a masters and experience with computers, micro-controllers, stepper motors and various kinds of sensors. I can run a lathe and a mill.

Maybe it's time to GTFO of this liberal shithole state and try something new.

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you need some suggestions for the doors?  I'm sure you can get some good advice here.
View Quote

I'm going to try and share an idea my son has later.  

He's found a pretty good actuator, and I think we can make it work quite well.  

I'll share the video in a bit when I can get him to send me a link.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What are the requirements to be a robotics teacher? I have a masters and experience with computers, micro-controllers, stepper motors and various kinds of sensors. I can run a lathe and a mill.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure exactly, I know there can be some alternative ways to get certified.    We need someone that can write and teach coding too.

ETA...   sending IM
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Update 11/28

Kids enjoyed the end of the movie.

Here is the actuator my son thinks we can make work.  One per door.  

Getting ready for some tiles back here.

More tiles along the front edge of the wing.

All the SSMEs set up.  

First coat of paint on a SSME.  Looks like they are going to work.  It needs some weathering, and some lettering,  but should work out.

ETA:

Anyone wanting to teach Computer Science and robotics can IM me for the schools phone number.  

If you have experience in those fields, there may be ways to get certified.  Pay is pretty damn good for teaching and we live in the most amazing of the 50 states.  You might even get an instant shooting buddy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah....  

Tough position to fill, as they have to know enough that they can probably make twice what a teacher makes in the real world.  

It takes someone who genuinely wants to teach despite the lower pay.  

Hopefully we can find someone quickly.  My 17yr old son is now basically teaching the beginning computer science class during his independent study class.  The sub has some Web Development experience, but no coding.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a pdf file that can be found by searching "shuttle payload bay doors and radiator panels familiarization handbook"
I am using a phone here and probably couldn't link it up if I had a computer anyway lol
It is about 90 so pages of the system with some good drawings and pictures of the actuators and arms.

ETA- hope this works
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=13&ved=0ahUKEwiZyvWV9MzQAhXK6SYKHVe4DlEQFghLMAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fntrs.nasa.gov%2Farchive%2Fnasa%2Fcasi.ntrs.nasa.gov%2F19920011434.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFWFbPYJoNtQ7danzJhARUdnntshA
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Update 11/28

Kids enjoyed the end of the movie.

Here is the actuator my son thinks we can make work.  One per door.  

https://youtu.be/myQBIrYzvtU
Getting ready for some tiles back here.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5539/30938698840_95931d0382_h.jpg

More tiles along the front edge of the wing.

https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5349/30938706450_8169e3b6fa_h.jpg

All the SSMEs set up.  

https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5529/30938713940_e79debbea8_h.jpg

First coat of paint on a SSME.  Looks like they are going to work.  It needs some weathering, and some lettering,  but should work out.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5745/31307011065_bc99f95aaa_h.jpg

ETA:

Anyone wanting to teach Computer Science and robotics can IM me for the schools phone number.  

If you have experience in those fields, there may be ways to get certified.  Pay is pretty damn good for teaching and we live in the most amazing of the 50 states.  You might even get an instant shooting buddy.
View Quote
My favorite foul mouthed canadian machinist posted a video abouthow those actuators work

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My favorite foul mouthed canadian machinist posted a video abouthow those actuators work

http://youtu.be/NEcG3dkZyTg

View Quote
LMFAO!  first thing I thought of, since I just watched it, too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/NEcG3dkZyTg

Good video.  Pretty funny.    I forwarded this to my son and told him he just signed a lifelong contract on replacing them anytime I need them fixed.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Update 11/29

Today we tiled like crazy.  Even though tiles were cut all day long,  off and on, students still ran out by the end of the day.  We will have to double our efforts tomorrow to try and stay ahead.

The tail got lots of attention today.  

The bottom of wing two almost got finished by the end of the day.  One mix up caused a little back tracking, but we are close.  

One cargo door was removed to start painting and preparing for the silver inside paint.  It still needs some caulking.

The OMS modules got more details and a few more thrusters today.  The tiles went on quickly.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:28:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Looking really good!  I love how the detail work makes your projects start to pop and come alive at the end.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looking really good!  I love how the detail work makes your projects start to pop and come alive at the end.
View Quote

It opens up so much more work for the kids to take on, but dang....  there is so much more work, and they are constantly pointing out more things we are missing.

ETA:  Just saw the new image upload buttons....   hmmmm.....    I may need some new training on adding pictures.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Adding some expanding foam today.   Needed another can.

+ 12.00
-----------------

$784.00  

Adding paint

+76.00
-------------------
$860 new sub total
View Quote

+ $40.00 -    Caulking, and two traffic cones.  

$900.00 new sub total.   Not bad really.   of course that doesn't include the two linear actuators +100.00

$1000.00  

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#24]

I can't wait to try it out, but for now, I'm going to stay with flikr.  As much as I hate it, it keeps them organized and I can share the link to the whole album for each project.  Thats been pretty helpful.  

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#25]
The new tool is really handy for posting pics from your phone - but they can't be in max resolution, and a lot of folks are going to give their exact position away.  They might have been doing that already, but it's now even easier to destroy your PERSEC.

Another question which isn't clear - if you're booted from the site, are all your pics purged?  Other folks across the web will link to our pics, and use them on other websites.  If pics get deleted later, that breaks links.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Update 12/1

Good couple days of work in today's update.  

First, we took off the second bay door to paint and clean up.

With the doors off, students painted the edges and the inside silver.  I'm not sure the silver is right yet.  It's an acrylic metalic.  I've got rattle cans ready, but it may be too bright.

The panels on the sides were cut out and here u you can see the insert before it is fully seated with some dremeling groves to accept the edges.

Here it's fully seated.
We are starting the details of it tomorrow.

Nice backside view of it, and some tile work around the OMS modules.

The satellite crew working on structure.  

The cargo bay air lock going together.

Everyone's a clown for pictures.

Chillin' between classes getting ready for more tiles.

Front edge of wing tiles.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey Guns, how do those brush strokes on the inside of the bay doors look once they're dry?  It's been a while but when I was a kid I did a USAF F-104 model in silver.  I ended up using some process that adhered a very thin, model grade aluminum foil to the exterior surfaces of the plastic.  Something like that may be a viable coating for the bay doors?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Pretty cool and good work!

Now, for some cold water... the space shuttle program was a failure.
- Way more expensive than just sending up single use or multi-use (3x) rockets
- VERY limited payload capacity
- More deadly than any other vehicle

But, the value to the students is certainly not time wasted.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

You seem to be forgetting when it saved the world from two planet killer asteroids and a rogue Soviet Era weapons platform.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hey Guns, how do those brush strokes on the inside of the bay doors look once they're dry?  It's been a while but when I was a kid I did a USAF F-104 model in silver.  I ended up using some process that adhered a very thin, model grade aluminum foil to the exterior surfaces of the plastic.  Something like that may be a viable coating for the bay doors?
View Quote

It looks a lot smoother once it dries.  

I also had them make sure the strokes ran up and down and not long ways.  I forgot to get shots of the doors finished.  It's not bad.  Looks like brushed stainless steel.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I beg to differ.  Four satellites were repaired in orbit, including five individual missions to repair Hubble.  The scientific value of Hubble alone is immeasurable.  Five satellites were recovered by the shuttle during orbital flights.  And numerous missions deployed satellites which were too large for any other launch platform in existence.  And these aren't counting the classified missions that were likely deploying KH intelligence assets.  Let's not even get into the numerous missions assembling the ISS.  None of these missions could have been performed by any other orbital vehicle.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#32]
are the tiles going to be  number indexed?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you trying to get Guns' students to mutiny?  
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#34]
HIGH FLIGHT

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew --
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr, RCAF
                 1922-1941 RIP
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just run around with this in my hand saying....  "Just give me a reason!!!!!"
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Great job Guns.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
HIGH FLIGHT

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew --
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr, RCAF
                 1922-1941 RIP
View Quote

I read this, and had students read this aloud to classes a couple weeks ago.   We are going to have the entire poem painted near the display.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Update 12/2

Here you can see the dried acrylic silver, with a patch of rattle can over top.  We decided it looked better so outside it goes to get sprayed.

Detail tiling started today, and it's going to need a little rework.  Still figuring this out a bit.

Airlock is looking pretty dang good.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:17:08 AM EDT
[#39]
so what's next, something small like the Yorktown? or maybe the Nimitz?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:23:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

25% scale of this:

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Way outside my circle right now.

I'm feeling claustrophobic enough right now with what's already there.  Every time I think there's a glimmer of light out of the circle, students point out about 10 more details we are missing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

A silver spray paint would work well in this application, as well. (obviously he'd have to get it outdoors, though.)

ETA: looks like you already figured it out.  turned out great!
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was also used way more than any other platform 

Might as well get my kid a pet shark for our swimming pool, because pet dogs are way more deadly than pet sharks on a per bite basis.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#44]

Hey, as long as the rigging is absolutely correct why not?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Looking great Guns!  anything you need?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Looking great Guns!  anything you need?
View Quote

Thank you!

And we seem to be pretty good right now.  When we get to the part where we need permission from the Facilities Administrator for an extended outlet from the ceiling to the display, some prayers might help.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh boy, here comes the anti shuttle trolls.
How bout you take that outa here and start your own shuttle couldn't this and that thread. There you can tell us what space flight programs you have actually been a part of to gain this knowledge. I'll debate all of your post with you.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:29:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:  I beg to differ.  Four satellites were repaired in orbit, including five individual missions to repair Hubble.  The scientific value of Hubble alone is immeasurable.  Five satellites were recovered by the shuttle during orbital flights.  And numerous missions deployed satellites which were too large for any other launch platform in existence.  And these aren't counting the classified missions that were likely deploying KH intelligence assets.  Let's not even get into the numerous missions assembling the ISS.  None of these missions could have been performed by any other orbital vehicle.
View Quote

I love the shuttle.  But from a budget standpoint, it was a complete disaster.  We could have trashed several Hubbles for the cost of the shuttle program.

Sure, the shuttle was what we had @ the time, so we made it work.  But we didn't have another orbital vehicle or another large launch platform in existence b/c we sank all our money into the shuttle.  So to say that it carried loads larger than any other vehicle @ the time is disingenuous - we could've built disposable rockets to carry those loads for far less cost.  And the ISS could have again, been built for far less w/ disposable launch vehicles.

guns' spies are here to learn.  So call me a troll if you like.  But be honest about the cost of the shuttle program that ate NASA's budget and was far more expensive than just throwing away launch vehicles.

And in the end, what did we learn?  We're returning to disposable launch vehicles for all future manned missions, and we built heavy lift capability equivalent to the shuttle - and it cost less.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:45:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Thank you!

And we seem to be pretty good right now.  When we get to the part where we need permission from the Facilities Administrator for an extended outlet from the ceiling to the display, some prayers might help.
View Quote
Yell if you do need anything. Really looking good. 
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I love the shuttle.  But from a budget standpoint, it was a complete disaster.  We could have trashed several Hubbles for the cost of the shuttle program.

Sure, the shuttle was what we had @ the time, so we made it work.  But we didn't have another orbital vehicle or another large launch platform in existence b/c we sank all our money into the shuttle.  So to say that it carried loads larger than any other vehicle @ the time is disingenuous - we could've built disposable rockets to carry those loads for far less cost.  And the ISS could have again, been built for far less w/ disposable launch vehicles.

guns' spies are here to learn.  So call me a troll if you like.  But be honest about the cost of the shuttle program that ate NASA's budget and was far more expensive than just throwing away launch vehicles.

And in the end, what did we learn?  We're returning to disposable launch vehicles for all future manned missions, and we built heavy lift capability equivalent to the shuttle - and it cost less.
View Quote
That is a fair assessment. However, make that assesment back in 1972. It would have been more difficult to make that decision looking forward, rather than backward.
Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top