Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 52
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I may hit you up for something as we get started.   I think the diagram I posted above just might be enough to get accurate figures from.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a good friend who is very good at building scale space shuttles. He has lots of documentation. I live close to NASA JSC, there they have a rocket park. I can get some pretty detailed pictures of the dismounted shuttle engines if you would like. They have a few sitting around.

I may hit you up for something as we get started.   I think the diagram I posted above just might be enough to get accurate figures from.
My friend has VERY accurate scale information about the nozzles. For the record, back in the late 1970's he built a very accurate scale rocket of the Saturn V. It was detailed in every way. If it was on the real SV, it was on his model. He won an award for the most detailed scale Model  built at the time. The engines were super detailed. What's more, it flew very well. That Saturn V rocket he built was on display at the old NASA JSC Vistor center for years. My friend built a Scale Shuttle Rocket complete with the EFT and SRB's back in 1983 to compete at the Rocketry convention in Poland. That model was rushed and crashed. He started building a new shuttle 2 years ago and plans for it to not crash. He built both the Saturn V and his shuttle from the original NASA plans, he just scaled every thing down.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Find a full shot of the bottom of the shuttle, rasterbate it, and use it for the outlines. Put it ontop of posterboard, and score the lines thru it. Then paint flat black, and some airbrushing. Sounds easy, right
View Quote

This is a family site! You can't use words like that in pub---
Wait.
Hold on.

Google says, "Tiled printing program....print images larger than a standard page..."

Ok, nevermind. As you were.
Everyone go back to standing on their heads.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I like this.  It may work.  We will try it.  Painting with a roller should avoid the cracks giving the desired look, or we smear caulking in each hand crack...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All these tiles are causing me some anxiety.

I'm running through my head how to do them right, and I don't like any of the options.

We could paint, then cut out tiles using the drawing board, then glue them individually,  although my son says I'd need a small army for that.  It would also add quite a bit more weight with basically two layers of the drawing board.

I could also have them draw on the light lines between the tiles.  With some airbrushing over top, it might look ok.  

I don't really like either option.  

The manpower for option one....   ugg.  It's probably possible.  Probably look the best.  Hmmm

Score the lines on the one layer of drawing board. This will still give the visual effect but not require two layers. It will also make the drawing board easier to wrap in 3dimensions.

I like this.  It may work.  We will try it.  Painting with a roller should avoid the cracks giving the desired look, or we smear caulking in each hand crack...  
If you're going to have the presentation inverted like you said, it really doesn't matter that much what the belly tiles look like.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:If you're going to have the presentation inverted like you said, it really doesn't matter that much what the belly tiles look like.  

View Quote

Of course it matters.....damn it.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can get a real tile, jump on it.  Don't care what age you are, a demo with one of those leaves an impression.

Before the first launch, maybe in 78 or 79, an engineer came to our school and held one with his bare hand while applying a blow torch to the opposite side till it glowed. If we hadn't already been space mad (and I think a good percentage of us were), we were all converts after.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#6]
OST!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Will your finished project fit out the doors? (Didnt we have this problem with the submarine last year)

Also, dont be nervous. Havent had a bad project yet. I wish you were my art teacher in school.

Dont sacrifice quality.

Looking forwared to following along on another awesome project!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:28:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Will your finished project fit out the doors? (Didnt we have this problem with the submarine last year)

Also, dont be nervous. Havent had a bad project yet. I wish you were my art teacher in school.

Dont sacrifice quality.

Looking forwared to following along on another awesome project!
View Quote

Wings and tail will be removable till its in its final display.  Fuselage is only going to be 30".   The doorway is 36", minus the door, so about 34".   We should be ok, but I will keep checking.  

The submarine had at least  a quarter inch to spare.....
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#10]
This will sound silly, but could you use a white grease pen or crayon to mark off your tiles then paint over it all? The paint shouldn't adhere to the wax lines.

The lines might end up a little thick that way, though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Awesome!

Here is me in the VAB at Kennedy with Atlantis back when I worked as a NASA contractor. I miss those days.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#12]
OST!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#13]
guns,

There's an opportunity to get into some advanced ceramics stuff too given the shuttle thermal protection systems. Materials science is something cool that has wide ranging implications.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This will sound silly, but could you use a white grease pen or crayon to mark off your tiles then paint over it all? The paint shouldn't adhere to the wax lines.
The lines might end up a little thick that way, though.
View Quote

Another good idea.  

We may try that too.   I think once we get there, I'll have the kids start playing around with the different strategies and see what seems to work best with the least amount of problems.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
guns,

There's an opportunity to get into some advanced ceramics stuff too given the shuttle thermal protection systems. Materials science is something cool that has wide ranging implications.
View Quote

I'll pass that along to the physics teacher.   That may really interest him more than what we were discussing.  

Good idea!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Looking forward to following this thread.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Love these threads!!!!

Don't forget the Mini Gun mounted at the door.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Just what I need, another t-shirt
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Ok, checked my math today.  

I probably should do that several times before we actually start, but my figures were a bit off.

I think I've got it right now, given the diagram we will be working from.   It's actually much simpler; every measurement on the diagram needs to be multiplied by 5 to get us to the desired size.  This is all based on a 30" width of the fuselage to get through the doorway.  

For the next few days, kids will be transferring in and out, so I'm not going to go crazy with our normal curriculum.   I'm going to go though the scaling with them using rulers, and the diagram printed out for every kid.   Hopefully get every kid understanding how we are going to go about this, so as they move in and out of this project at different points they know where we started.

Hopefully I don't scare off too many kids with math, calculators, and rulers....but they suck at reading rulers, this will be good to know, no matter what.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I probably should do that several times before we actually start, but my figures were a bit off.

I think I've got it right now, given the diagram we will be working from.   It's actually much simpler; every measurement on the diagram needs to be multiplied by 5 to get us to the desired size.  This is all based on a 30" width of the fuselage to get through the doorway.  

For the next few days, kids will be transferring in and out, so I'm not going to go crazy with our normal curriculum.   I'm going to go though the scaling with them using rulers, and the diagram printed out for every kid.   Hopefully get every kid understanding how we are going to go about this, so as they move in and out of this project at different points they know where we started.

Hopefully I don't scare off too many kids with math, calculators, and rulers....but they suck at reading rulers, this will be good to know, no matter what.

View Quote

PLEASE teach them how to read rulers! Can't believe how many people graduate highschool today, and when I ask for a measurement "18 and 5 little lines" "Are they 8ths or 16ths?" "I dunno... " "Well we're either going to have twice what we need or half..... "
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

PLEASE teach them how to read rulers! Can't believe how many people graduate highschool today, and when I ask for a measurement "18 and 5 little lines" "Are they 8ths or 16ths?" "I dunno... " "Well we're either going to have twice what we need or half..... "
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean those little lines have an actual meaning?  

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.....its crazy how kids can't read a ruler at this age.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Maybe have the tiles printed on some Heat shrink decal material, apply, heat and voila.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm running through my head how to do them right, and I don't like any of the options.

We could paint, then cut out tiles using the drawing board, then glue them individually,  although my son says I'd need a small army for that.  It would also add quite a bit more weight with basically two layers of the drawing board.

I could also have them draw on the light lines between the tiles.  With some airbrushing over top, it might look ok.  

The manpower for option one....   ugg.  It's probably possible.  Probably look the best.  Hmmm
Maybe have the tiles printed on some Heat shrink decal material, apply, heat and voila.  

Was going to suggest something similar. Unless, of course, detail work and manual labor is important.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I debated this a bit, and I think it will carry the same name as the submarine.  "PHSS Panther"   The kids will have to come up with a mission number and designation.

Naming it after the Challenger or Columbia just doesn't feel right.   With the fictional satellite, our model needs to be fictional as well.  It will probably have a Panther head somewhere on the tail, but we will try to keep all  the markings as similar to the real ones as possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which shuttle name are you using or are you naming the shuttle after the school?

I debated this a bit, and I think it will carry the same name as the submarine.  "PHSS Panther"   The kids will have to come up with a mission number and designation.

Naming it after the Challenger or Columbia just doesn't feel right.   With the fictional satellite, our model needs to be fictional as well.  It will probably have a Panther head somewhere on the tail, but we will try to keep all  the markings as similar to the real ones as possible.

I agree with you on not using Challenger or Columbia, they seem somewhat sacred in a sense.   Have you thought about incorporating a reference or homage to Christa McAuliffe in some way?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#25]
In 1985 at Vandenberg AFB I had the privilege of sitting in the cockpit at the controls of Enterprise while she was strapped on the back of the 747 that hauled them. It was awesome. I have nothing else to add to the thread.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Not a tag
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I agree with you on not using Challenger or Columbia, they seem somewhat sacred in a sense.   Have you thought about incorporating a reference or homage to Christa McAuliffe in some way?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which shuttle name are you using or are you naming the shuttle after the school?

Hoping to have a large portrait somewhere in the display.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Could you paint a base layer and then make a grid to superimpose over and then use a thicker paint,  once the grid is removed the thicker paint would give the illusion of raised tiles.  maybe that is too complicated...
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#30]
There is a modeler on YouTube building a 1/72 scale shuttle and he is using cloth bandaging tape for the thermal bankets.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There is a modeler on YouTube building a 1/72 scale shuttle and he is using cloth bandaging tape for the thermal bankets.

View Quote

I have some ceramic thermal blanket batting I could send as well
its white and may need to be cut down in thickness but it would work

also look at a truck/trailer supply store for trailer patch tape, it aluminum with a sticky back
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

Out of all the astronauts why should she be held up as some kind of exemplar?

Her death, while lamentable, was the result of a publicity event gone terribly wrong.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Her death, while lamentable, was the result of a publicity event gone terribly wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because she was a teacher?  This being a project constructed by a variety of students, led by a variety of teachers and finally being displayed inside of a school.  I thought that association was kinda obvious.  

Certainly there have been several astronauts before and after Challenger that could be honored, but she would be arguably the easiest to single out.  Just my 2 cents of course.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

also look at a truck/trailer supply store for trailer patch tape, it aluminum with a sticky back
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does ceramic thermal blanket look like?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#36]
IN!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#37]
IN
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will take a pic tomorrow and post it
It looks like white fiberglass insulation but thinner

Like I've posted, I'm cleaning the shop and have tons of stuff I can send if any can help
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Glue this stuff onto the shuttle (cut it with X-Actos) and then spray flat black/gray it with airbrush.

Cheap solution. Easy to work with.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:If you're going to have the presentation inverted like you said, it really doesn't matter that much what the belly tiles look like.  

Do it right. This thing may will probably end up in a museum some day.

The USAFM lost out on the final Shuttle available.

I could see this thing ending up someplace similar, as a visual aid.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Seeing your drawings of the frame, don't use wood for the wing spars.  Use aluminum channel.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Seeing your drawings of the frame, don't use wood for the wing spars.  Use aluminum channel.

http://i.imgur.com/K3ZcoY8.png

http://cdn.cherokeetalk.com/forum/attachments/f64/3979d1299772095-light-bar-anyone-can-build-cheap-electrical11_strutchannel.jpg

View Quote

I'll talk to the welding teacher and see if we can get some locally.

I'm pretty sure 2x2s would be fine once the rest of the structure of the wings is complete, but I understand the concern.  I'll see what I can round up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Glue this stuff onto the shuttle (cut it with X-Actos) and then spray flat black/gray it with airbrush.

http://building.dow.com/~/media/building/images/bluecore.ashx

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is that, exactly?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Could the tiles be simulated by randomly cutting rectangles out of a grid laid out on acetate and then airbrushing using the acetate as a stencil?  You would have to use multiple shades of greys or whites  depending on the location and multiple passes to get the effect.  You could offset multiple stencils, or just use the same stencil rotated and on a different registration point to randomize the overall pattern.

Did any of that make sense?

And tag for another awesome project.  Glad I caught it early instead of 30 pages in this year!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
What is that, exactly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is that, exactly?
It's insulation, available at Lowe's/Home Depot.

Unfolds into 4 x 50 ft sheets.  It's very thin 1/4 in?

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Kingspan-Insulation-R1-Faced-Polystyrene-Foam-Board-Insulation-Common-0-25-in-x-4-ft-x-50-ft-Actual-0-25-in-x-4-ft-x-50-ft/999972970

I think this stuff would replicate the 3D blocky tiles better than scribing lines.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#46]
So very in!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Decal shot, wing leading edge tiles.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#48]
OST love these threads
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Up close detailed photos are always welcomed!  Post'em up!  I've been snagging photos posted in this thread already.  They will be invaluable.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In

I have a bunch of pictures I took of the Shuttle at the Air Museum by Dulles. Let me get them off my phone and I'll put them up here. If you want the full size pics let me know.

Up close detailed photos are always welcomed!  Post'em up!  I've been snagging photos posted in this thread already.  They will be invaluable.  

Love these threads.

Here are some photos I took of Atlantis at Kennedy Space Center this summer.  Just cell phone pictures but show some decent detail, especially with the doors open if that's the configuration you end up going with.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In

I have a bunch of pictures I took of the Shuttle at the Air Museum by Dulles. Let me get them off my phone and I'll put them up here. If you want the full size pics let me know.

Love these threads.

Here are some photos I took of Atlantis at Kennedy Space Center this summer.  Just cell phone pictures but show some decent detail, especially with the doors open if that's the configuration you end up going with.

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/James7800/Shuttle/IMG_0763_zps1savarjs.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/James7800/Shuttle/IMG_0764_zpsqqgan3s7.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/James7800/Shuttle/IMG_0766_zpsgvhv7hrq.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/James7800/Shuttle/IMG_0767_zpsgg9q8unn.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/James7800/Shuttle/IMG_0770_zps4idvfm4v.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/James7800/Shuttle/IMG_0772_zpsst3vwucl.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/James7800/Shuttle/IMG_0777_zpsacndngrr.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/James7800/Shuttle/IMG_0778_zpsxvtb3wki.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/James7800/Shuttle/IMG_0779_zps5mnbdt46.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/James7800/Shuttle/IMG_0780_zpshmunbkfi.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/James7800/Shuttle/IMG_0781_zpsfrx2iun4.jpg
Awesome pictures!  That old gal was showing her age for sure though; I'm actually a little shocked at how bad she looks.  

Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top