BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 52
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The custodian was the most concerned about the clock.  He wanted me to play with a broken one.....  

I told him, no, it had to work.

He's worried we won't be able to tell time at the end.  I really don't care, as long as the hands move correctly.    We may add numbers, but I'm thinking we may just leave them all blank.  

I walked by the Principals office and told him I'd hijacked a clock and it probably would be destroyed, but would look cool.  He just thumbed up the idea.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a heck of an idea! 

And that black wall definitely needs a moon clock:  Moon Clock

We have started a moon clock.  Not sure how successful we will be and we might have wrecked a clock.
Good man; no guts, no glory!

The custodian was the most concerned about the clock.  He wanted me to play with a broken one.....  

I told him, no, it had to work.

He's worried we won't be able to tell time at the end.  I really don't care, as long as the hands move correctly.    We may add numbers, but I'm thinking we may just leave them all blank.  

I walked by the Principals office and told him I'd hijacked a clock and it probably would be destroyed, but would look cool.  He just thumbed up the idea.  
It will look great without numbers, and you'll be surprised how easy it is to tell the time without them.  It's not like much of anyone uses analog clocks any more anyway.

Your Principal is a rare one Guns; you're really really lucky to have him.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Posing seemed to be a thing today.

Another taken off of facebook.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:00:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Update 2/13

IKON got a few more details as far as texture.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2446/32847677576_0b28630a86_h.jpg

The Canadarm got some nice work done to it today.  We started with some mounting brackets that we can easily put on and take off after we hang the fuselage.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/608/32073730463_cdc3d1923c_h.jpg
One side,
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2750/32073725643_47427ed4b0_h.jpg
Then the other,
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2899/32847673666_21a68d492f_h.jpg

There were a lot of questions about these going on....
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2557/32847670776_67307301e0_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2440/32847663946_05c53da7b4_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/585/32045845654_ba8e0059c2_h.jpg

Hooking everything up for preliminary testing again after the wiring change.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2616/32073720753_3b4cf1d481_h.jpg

We decided the entire bottom area needs to be black, so the poem was painted over today and will be repainted tomorrow in white.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3724/32073714773_01f32e5f45_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2793/32888440225_1a4655e8ec_h.jpg
View Quote
So, they thought the tiles were bad, what happens when they have to place the stars/constellations in their correct place?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It will look great without numbers, and you'll be surprised how easy it is to tell the time without them.  It's not like much of anyone uses analog clocks any more anyway.

Your Principal is a rare one Guns; you're really really lucky to have him.
View Quote

Extremely lucky!!!

He's also a GSD owner.....and gun guy....  

Just was telling me about a Browning "Sweet 16" he picked up for a good price not too long ago.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:14:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What date and time, though?

Stellarium I think will let you view Earth from any angle w/constellations at any date.  Free software, too!
View Quote

Like one of those paintings where the eyes follow you, the stars will have to move and keep position as the date changes.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Like one of those paintings where the eyes follow you, the stars will have to move and keep position as the date changes.  
View Quote
So, we'll be needing a robotic laser display to project a constantly shifting field of stars?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So, we'll be needing a robotic laser display to project a constantly shifting field of stars?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You fellas knock that off.....I don't want to hear more outrageous ideas I end up chasing down some crazy rabbit hole.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Update 2/15

We had a visit from an electrician today.

We are good to go with our wiring on the shuttle.   He asked us to make two changes that were very simple and students have already made those adjustments.

He also took a look at our display area and after some climbing around the mezzanine, he found a juncation box he could hook into.   We were looking like he'd have to run from much further away, as the lightshuttle are 277volt, but he found the 120 he was looking for right above the windows.  

I'm waiting for a write up, and then he said they could come in within the next couple weeks or less.

It was looking like possibly  $500, but now we should be a lot less.   My principal said he would split the bill with my Art Dept.   The electrician said all he needed was money to pay his guys and the materials.  He was a good guy, and thought r he project was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You fellas knock that off.....I don't want to hear more outrageous ideas I end up chasing down some crazy rabbit hole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahem...

https://www.amazon.com/NewAje-Laser-Stars-Hologram-Projector/dp/B0085VXH1U/ref=pd_cp_60_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0085VXH1U&pd_rd_r=KD03WV8NCZMWZ26P49WG&pd_rd_w=T7WsM&pd_rd_wg=wvl6Z&psc=1&refRID=KD03WV8NCZMWZ26P49WG&tag=vglnk-c102-20

I have doubts whether it would work in an area as big as you need though, especially with the lights on.

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#11]
"Please note: Item should be turned off after 2 hours of use."

Fire Marshall might like that.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Update 2/15 continued:

This is one thing the electrician wanted us to change.   We had the arduino mounted to plywood.  He asked us to mount it to something non flammable as a precaution.  

He also wanted us to increase the size of our "power" wire from 18ga to 14ga.   We also shortened it up and brought the junction to the junction box inside the shuttle.

We were having a bit of trouble today getting the doors to sync up again, but Top Men say they think they know what they are doing. By the end of the day he was much closer, only about 1/8inch from full sync.

Wyoming flag proudly displayed on the inside door surface.

Progress on the murals...a short day, so not a  whole lot done.

mounting brackets for the Canadarm
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought you liked our "Arfcom Helpful Hints." (Here after to be referred to as "AHH!", accompanied by hair-pulling, etc.)
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just a minor technicality...
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A vacation light timer would fix that easily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just a minor technicality...

A vacation light timer would fix that easily.
Yeah, that and a couple of grand MIGHT make the Fire Marshall sign off on it...

But probably not. 
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Acrylic or Polycarbonate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update 2/15 continued:

This is one thing the electrician wanted us to change.   We had the arduino mounted to plywood.  He asked us to mount it to something non flammable as a precaution.  

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2153/32882699526_28462a6837_h.jpg

Acrylic or Polycarbonate?

He said it didn't matter to him. I belive this is plexiglass.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Add a spotlight so it can shine on next year's project...Trump Tower with Marine One on the roof.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Plexiglas is a generic term for a clear polymer.  The two most commonly found at Home Depot are Acrylic and Polycarbonate.  Acrilic is cheaper (and clearer) but just about as flammable as wood.  Polycarbonate is more fire resistant and there are variants of polycarbonate that are treated to be more fire resistant.
View Quote

I'll check.  

They found this in the robotics lab.  They use it for parts of their robots.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Plexiglas is a generic term for a clear polymer.  The two most commonly found at Home Depot are Acrylic and Polycarbonate.  Acrilic is cheaper (and clearer) but just about as flammable as wood.  Polycarbonate is more fire resistant and there are variants of polycarbonate that are treated to be more fire resistant.
View Quote

Robotics says it's Polycarbonate.   He said it was Lexon.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Compressed air in a can with small straws out the front OMEs would be soooo cool.  The students were dreaming about this on Friday.  
View Quote

I hate to give a suggestion with even more utility tie-in  but was just thinking maybe one of those ultrasonic humidifier deals could work to make the "fog" as it's just water (so no allergy concerns) but at the same time it would involve a run of small diameter water line (probably don't even want to think about getting approval for that) and the humidity / water condensate that close to the art project is probably a huge risk just from the perspective of physical damage, let alone electrical hazards. Unfortunately the "fog" from the ultrasonic deals tends to just kind of lazily drift downwards (it isn't hot like the chemical Halloween fog machines so there's not much "buoyancy") so it would need a fan to gently blow it out of whatever opening it was shooting from.

ETA: I've been mostly following this from the beginning and being a space flight lover myself, I REALLY wish I had a teacher like you in High School. Closest I had was a wood shop teacher in middle school that let us roll our own model rockets and build trebuchets. Still have M&M dispenser I made in that class on my desk at work. If there's an opportunity to buy one of those patches I'd love to get in on it
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

He said it didn't matter to him. I belive this is plexiglass.
View Quote

Which is acrylic.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Robotics says it's Polycarbonate.   He said it was Lexon.
View Quote

Lexan in the trademarked name for a version of  polycarbonate.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I just showed this thread to my bride this morning.
She has proclaimed you "The Coolest Art Teacher Ever".

She hasn't seen the previous projects yet either.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#30]
2:30am.....

What if some day one actuator quits and the others continue, ripping off the door????  

They are now working to solve that problem.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what he's using for a motor driver board, but there should be a current sense method.    Run by majority rule, if one actuator draws far more or less current than the others, shut it down and beep SOS in Morse.
View Quote

He said he's running a "Red Arduino" , whatever that is, and he thought he might be able to do that.  

His instructor wants him to install 4 separate gyroscope sensors on each door.  When one stops, the others stop too.  

He's not convinced this is the way to go, but he was going to talk to the instructor again about it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I just showed this thread to my bride this morning.
She has proclaimed you "The Coolest Art Teacher Ever".

She hasn't seen the previous projects yet either.
View Quote

Please tell her "Thank You," for me, although that is far from the truth.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I could see 2 gyros, but he's going to have problems getting I²C or SPI to run the length of the shuttle.  (Those are the two common serial protocols used to communicate with a gyro board to a µC)   Same thing as SMBUS on a motherboard and similar to the CAN bus in a car.  Two 3D Accelerometers, one on each door, would be sufficient, they'll tell it which way down is and if it is moving or not.  

That method still doesn't help in a stripped gear situation on an actuator, where the other actuator pulls double current to keep the door moving, however...
View Quote

I passed that on to him.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

He said he's running a "Red Arduino" , whatever that is, and he thought he might be able to do that.  

His instructor wants him to install 4 separate gyroscope sensors on each door.  When one stops, the others stop too.  

He's not convinced this is the way to go, but he was going to talk to the instructor again about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure what he's using for a motor driver board, but there should be a current sense method.    Run by majority rule, if one actuator draws far more or less current than the others, shut it down and beep SOS in Morse.

Just like at NASA, somebody is dead-set at overcomplicating things. 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any ideas....?....  advice is appreciated, I'll pass it on to him.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

NASA would have current limits, linear sensors and the gyros too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:35:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

NASA would have current limits, linear sensors and the gyros too.
View Quote

OK, so we have a goal....
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Are the openers going to operate on a timer, or via remote (on demand) control?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

He says he doesn't know if he'll have enough pins for a remote.  We planned on it opening on a timer;  open on the hour, then close on the next.  Start at 8 am, stop at 3pm.....something along those lines.

We discussed adding a second arduino, one for each door, so we could have more options.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

He says he doesn't know if he'll have enough pins for a remote.  We planned on it opening on a timer;  open on the hour, then close on the next.  Start at 8 am, stop at 3pm.....something along those lines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you make it open and close every hour, you're virtually guaranteeing that you will have problems as it wears IMO.  The answer to both the wear and uneven opening problem is to make it open/close via remote command so it can be monitored and stopped if needed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you make it open and close every hour, you're virtually guaranteeing that you will have problems as it wears IMO.  The answer to both the wear and uneven opening problem is to make it open/close via remote command so it can be monitored and stopped if needed.
View Quote

Understandable,  and that is why we are looking for a safety.  We can replace worn parts if a safety is set up to stop it all when one stops.  

Just opening on demand would be a pretty big let down.  I'm hoping that's not where we end up.  As a secondary option, that is cool.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

We discussed adding a second arduino, one for each door, so we could have more options.
View Quote

An atmega168 has 14 digital ins/outs. I'm not sure what "shield" they're using to control the actuators, but you only need 1 pin to toggle open/close and I highly doubt they'll all be in use. If you can figure out which shield they're using I can provide more info.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Electrical bid came through.   $300.   Materials are being donated, the 300 is to pay the men to do it.   He said he would lower it if it takes less time.  Great guy, and very generous of him to help us out like that.  

I spent another $40 on black paint today.   I thought we'd have enough to get all the way done, but we are just a few square feet short.   Some places need another coat too.
I'm not going to count the $300 yet, as the principal might cover the whole thing.....

$1123 old total

+ $40 paint and zip ties
---------------------------------

$1163
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Update 2/17

Robotics did more testing today.  We had both doors working, but we had one motor that needed a little adjusting.  We might sneak in tomorrow to spend some time on it again.  He has the motors set up in front and rear pairs.  For some reason, the rear right motor seems much faster than the other three.  We were pretty close at one point but went backwards and ran out of time.  

We got the new wiring run for a sensor on each door.  They haven't decided what sensor they are using yet.

The Moon clock with a couple base coats of paint.  She started hand painting details over top today.

The IKON satellite got some nice textures started today.

The mural group got all of Reagan's speech fragment stenciled on the wall.  It took several hours and lots of patience.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If he doesn't want to do the I²C expansion (I²C is the most awesome thing since sliced bread for microcontrollers, so he needs to learn it, BTW)...

And you DO use Two Arduinos going, I would not not not use one for each door.   No matter the case, you'd still need to set up I²C or SPI communication between the two Arduinos so they can cooperate.

One Arduino would be the motor control µC, the other would be the timing/input µC.   In other words, one Ardunio set up only to move the doors at the speed it is told by the main arduino, which is the timing source, remote control input, motion detector etc.   The motor control Arduino would only handle the current sense protection and PWM for the actuators.

OR
PWM output off of Arduino pins, the rest of the I/O through the I²C port expander.  

Split it into tasks, rather than sections.  "Open and close doors" is a task, "Open left door, open right door" are sections that should be handled by the same bit of code to ensure they are synchronized and all lproblems are isolated to that controller.

I hope that makes sense.

--ETA:  $20 for an I²C Port expander with Analog.  Adds 28 Digital I/O, 16 ADC inputs

Also...  If you are using that type "Shield" that plugs onto the Arduino board for motor controllers, you shouldn't.  The motor controllers should be connected with jumper wires so heat isn't concentrated in one spot.
View Quote

I don't understand a bit of that , but robotics says they do.    They use I2C for they competition robot.  

Thank you for the advice!  I'm passing all of this along .
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Update 2/17

Robotics did more testing today.  We had both doors working, but we had one motor that needed a little adjusting.  We might sneak in tomorrow to spend some time on it again.  He has the motors set up in front and rear pairs.  For some reason, the rear right motor seems much faster than the other three.  We were pretty close at one point but went backwards and ran out of time.  

We got the new wiring run for a sensor on each door.  They haven't decided what sensor they are using yet.

The Moon clock with a couple base coats of paint.  She started hand painting details over top today.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3752/32117163024_45012bc937_h.jpg

The IKON satellite got some nice textures started today.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/321/32146052733_f05dde2c95_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2845/32146040053_2c5d0df763_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2061/32146042143_fb9362a5ef_h.jpg

The mural group got all of Reagan's speech fragment stenciled on the wall.  It took several hours and lots of patience.
View Quote
That clock is going to look SWEET! 
Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top