BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've got 13 years of post-high school education, over a decade in practice, and still spent 6 hours today with a shovel & other hand tools in a ditch. Being afraid to work is stupid.e
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lot of "welders" fresh out of welding school tell me or my boss to fuck ourselves. They were welders and wouldn't do xxxxxx work, like using a shovel to clean loose dirt out of a trench. The salesmen (college enrollment people) told them they'd make bout one-fiddy a year after college, easy bro. You make bank, just welding. If you get this degree and pass the certs you don't even have to fit pipe, they hire fitters to help you. It's a major problem in the welding industry. They are damn near unhirable for years after college because they believe that shit. It's dishonest sales tactics.

I've got 13 years of post-high school education, over a decade in practice, and still spent 6 hours today with a shovel & other hand tools in a ditch. Being afraid to work is stupid.e

Plenty of Arfcommers don't follow that very obvious path and cling to their "job description" for what they can or cannot be bothered to be paid for. I am surprised every time i read it here. This is your opportunity to earn your way into more pay. Refusing to do work just signals to your employer that you aren't willing to get the job done and aren't worth your pay. Do the work quietly and bring it up in your next review for why you are worth more and you should get a raise that you wouldn't otherwise get,
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

USAF Lt Col was doing Air War College.  Busted for plagiarism (60% from Wikipedia and a STRATFOR article with no cites). 15 years in.  Article 15, fired from his position, career over.

He was a chaplain.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Former boss of mine and retired full bird Colonel pleads to two felonies for stealing test answers...

"A former Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation agent was sentenced to four years probation and a $500 fine for stealing test answers to a computer forensics certification."

http://newsok.com/article/5449490

USAF Lt Col was doing Air War College.  Busted for plagiarism (60% from Wikipedia and a STRATFOR article with no cites). 15 years in.  Article 15, fired from his position, career over.

He was a chaplain.  

I went to CGSC a few years back. 3 majors were caught plagiarizing, and nothing was done about it. This was after they had every student  sign an academic policy letter stating you would be kicked out for plagerism. The instructors regularly briefed how the only way to fail was to cheat, or not put in any effort.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:58:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Plenty of Arfcommers don't follow that very obvious path and cling to their "job description" for what they can or cannot be bothered to be paid for. I am surprised every time i read it here. This is your opportunity to earn your way into more pay. Refusing to do work just signals to your employer that you aren't willing to get the job done and aren't worth your pay. Do the work quietly and bring it up in your next review for why you are worth more and you should get a raise that you wouldn't otherwise get,
View Quote

I cling to my "job description", get shit done fast and right. That's why they're teaching me how to run the place so they can go home early. It went from closing up the shop if they had to leave early to we're going to Costa Rica for a week, don't fuck anything up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:35:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I've mentioned it in a thread awhile back, but I was tearing a strip off one screwup.  As he was leaving, he said, "I heard they are hiring at McDonald's."  I replied, "I hope they are."

That decided it.  My next phone call was to HR saying this guy was not working out.  They said they will get started on the paperwork, and the rest is a savored memory.  My first firing, and the most deserved.  

Some guys fire themselves.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:38:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I cling to my "job description", get shit done fast and right. That's why they're teaching me how to run the place so they can go home early. It went from closing up the shop if they had to leave early to we're going to Costa Rica for a week, don't fuck anything up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was hired and am paid to do a specific job function. Asking me to perform duties outside of that job description would be met one of two ways. If the task seems enjoyable and a nice change of pace from the daily routine I'll happily take it. If my boss handed me a shovel and told me to go dig a ditch I'd laugh and tell him no. Fortunately I have an employment contract at my primary job that clearly outlines my duties so that's not going to happen. The other employer actively recruited me and needs me more than I need them so it would never happen there either.

In my experience guys who let themselves get steamrolled by their supervisors never get promoted. Guys with a backbone and some.common sense usually find their way into leadership positions. My pay raises at job one are contractual COL adjustments at 3% annually. At job two I ask for reasonable accommodation when I see fit and have yet to be told no.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:44:22 AM EDT
[#6]
One coworker of mine overdosed on opiates his first day on the job.  He was found unconscious in the break room slouched back into a chair.  I recall the paramedics had to come in and give him that opiate reversal drug.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was hired and am paid to do a specific job function. Asking me to perform duties outside of that job description would be met one of two ways. If the task seems enjoyable and a nice change of pace from the daily routine I'll happily take it. If my boss handed me a shovel and told me to go dig a ditch I'd laugh and tell him no. Fortunately I have an employment contract at my primary job that clearly outlines my duties so that's not going to happen. The other employer actively recruited me and needs me more than I need them so it would never happen there either.

In my experience guys who let themselves get steamrolled by their supervisors never get promoted. Guys with a backbone and some.common sense usually find their way into leadership positions. My pay raises at job one are contractual COL adjustments at 3% annually. At job two I ask for reasonable accommodation when I see fit and have yet to be told no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you aren't in management then?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:47:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've mentioned it in a thread awhile back, but I was tearing a strip off one screwup.  As he was leaving, he said, "I heard they are hiring at McDonald's."  I replied, "I hope they are."

That decided it.  My next phone call was to HR saying this guy was not working out.  They said they will get started on the paperwork, and the rest is a savored memory.  My first firing, and the most deserved.  

View Quote

Many moons ago in the heyday of dish installation sub contracting I ran an office for a Dish Network/Hughes Net installer. Part of my duties were investigating damage claims against my subs initiated by customers. The best was one not from a customer but the neighbor of a customer. Turns out he had no line of sight from the customers property so he went next door and bolted the dish to the neighbors roof then strung the cable between the two houses.

This particular contractor was a royal pain in the ass and I had begged the owner to let me shitcan him on several occassions but his numbers were good so the answer was always no. This stunt proved to be the last straw and with the owners blessing I gave him the axe the following morning when he walked in the shop door. My first time firing somebody and damn it felt good. I had to terminate others afterwards that I felt bad about but tossing that arrogant cocksucker out the door was one of the best mornings at work ever.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:53:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I manage 17 full time and 5 part time employees at my side job. I'm the company officer at my main job. I don't run the bosses errands.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:05:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was having the "This is how you did it, but this is how we do it here" talk with a girl at work one day.  No problem, just a teachable moment.
Her response was "Whatever".

They took her badge at the gate, after I made a couple phone calls.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:26:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I manage 17 full time and 5 part time employees at my side job. I'm the company officer at my main job. I don't run the bosses errands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've worked around the military and government a long time. Most of them prefer yes men. People who talk about their job description in that arena typically are immature and aren't management material. The job descriptions here are generally vague and incorrect to start with.

I can see how real for profit companies may value honest feedback and leadership qualities associated with the type of person who isn't a pushover... Depending on how it is presented. I doubt there are many circles where "Fuck off that's not in my job description" is good for career progression.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've worked around the military and government a long time. Most of them prefer yes men. People who talk about their job description in that arena typically are immature and aren't management material. The job descriptions here are generally vague and incorrect to start with.

I can see how real for profit companies may value honest feedback and leadership qualities associated with the type of person who isn't a pushover... Depending on how it is presented. I doubt there are many circles where "Fuck off that's not in my job description" is good for career progression.
View Quote

most job descriptions that I've seen include an often overlooked line "and other duties deemed..."   I've seen quite a few highly "specialized" guys get busted down because of that one
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fucking an inmate
Stealing from the coffee money jar
View Quote

Yep fucking an inmate, happens every year.
Bringing in contraband.

A new hire got fired because he drove a state vehicle to training, got drunk crashed it into a tree, then fled the scene. Because they wouldn't know who was driving the car even though you signed it out,  he made it 3 days before that happened.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#14]
At a previous job we made store display cases.  A lot of these were on casters so they could be easily relocated in the store.  We had a night shift made up entirely of young men who were all friends and they were notoriously unproductive.  So the owners decided to hire an older supervisor to make sure the guys stay focused.  Well one night the one owner needed to borrow a chop saw from the business and as he was driving to the back of the building, by the truck dock ramps here comes an employee, spread eagle on one of the dollyboards, luging down the ramp.  The guy nearly rolled right under the owners SUV!  

So who was the dollyboard surfer?  It was the 50 yr old supervisor!  The boss fired him on the spot, walked inside expecting to see chaos but all the young guys were standing at their machines diligently working.

Funny thing was the one guy told me they were all at the top of the dock ramp taking turns when one of them saw the owners car coming down the lane so they ran inside and started up the machines quick.  It was too late for the old guy as he had already been released down the ramp.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Other duties as assigned"
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why in the blue fuck would a Sky Pilot get a War College seat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Former boss of mine and retired full bird Colonel pleads to two felonies for stealing test answers...

"A former Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation agent was sentenced to four years probation and a $500 fine for stealing test answers to a computer forensics certification."

http://newsok.com/article/5449490

He was a chaplain.  

Why in the blue fuck would a Sky Pilot get a War College seat?

Distance learning program, not in residence.  AF allows all officers eligible to take the DL program, in fact it's encouraged (pretty hard to get promoted if you don't have PME done at least by DL).  There are staff officers that go to AWC in res, they're just a VERY small sample.  

Thought goes like this:  A doctor, nurse or chaplain is unable to adequately advise the commander if they don't know what the commander's trying to do. Give them both the same education in policy and doctrine, and the staff officer can then be more active in how he/she advises the commander in their speciality.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#17]
My office was about 250 miles from the main office.  The I.T. guy would come out about 2 times a year to do his thing and make sure everything was working properly.  One trip he of course drives the company car.  Since it was an overnight thing almost always because of the distance he always got a motel room as well.  He must of been wanting company on one trip because he brought his wife along on the trip.  Oh yeah also brought one or two of their kids as well, I suppose so they could play in the pool at the motel.  He also let his wife drive the company car while he was working at my office.  He didn't really see a problem with this.  Once I found out I notified our boss, as far as I know nothing ever happened to him for that, but he was let go a few years later, he got on the bad side of a different boss and out the door he went.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My office was about 250 miles from the main office.  The I.T. guy would come out about 2 times a year to do his thing and make sure everything was working properly.  One trip he of course drives the company car.  Since it was an overnight thing almost always because of the distance he always got a motel room as well.  He must of been wanting company on one trip because he brought his wife along on the trip.  Oh yeah also brought one or two of their kids as well, I suppose so they could play in the pool at the motel.  He also let his wife drive the company car while he was working at my office.  He didn't really see a problem with this.  Once I found out I notified our boss, as far as I know nothing ever happened to him for that, but he was let go a few years later, he got on the bad side of a different boss and out the door he went.
View Quote

Most of my employer's company car policies had a clause that allowed the spouse to drive it in situations like that.
It's not uncommon to occasionally bring wives and children on work trips, as long as the employee pays their way, and it doesn't interfere with the purpose of the trip. I've had a couple employers that encouraged it for nice areas or long trips.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Another one

We had a lab guy that floated around the different sites of the company (the 2 plants and several tank farms) one day when he was up I saw his truck front bumper was smashed and I teased him about it. He just said he hit a bollard and that was it.

A month later I find out he is fired. Turns out the truck was a company truck, the bollard was in a city he was in for personal reasons and he never informed anyone of the damage.

The head manager saw it, called him in and he got canned. He had done the damage 2 months earlier. If he had paid to fix it he wouldn't have been caught, or if he used his own vehicle obviously

Company does not like personal use of company vehicles unless you are a manager but that is another story
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#20]
"Other duties as assigned."

I worked at a place for a few months as the lab supervisor on a 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off rotation.  My cross shift hated the 19 year old girl assigned to us, and after she was done ordering parts and reagents on the office computer, he would make her sit outside in the storage seacan out of sight and out of mind until 5 pm.  Sometimes all day.  "Other duties as assigned."

She had an irritating combination of I-am-a-girl-and-men-want-me mindset and having learned everything worth knowing in high school.  I think he got fired before she did.  

First time I met my cross shift, he said, "Hi.  My name is Josh, and I am not a proud man."  Instantly made me very wary of him.

Glad I left.  That place was nuttier than California.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Most of my employer's company car policies had a clause that allowed the spouse to drive it in situations like that.
It's not uncommon to occasionally bring wives and children on work trips, as long as the employee pays their way, and it doesn't interfere with the purpose of the trip. I've had a couple employers that encouraged it for nice areas or long trips.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if not; it's not something I would see me narcing someone out for.
No harm, no foul; no report.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:42:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, I have no problem with that.

Story thread:

An employee who worked at the company before I did was hired as a data entry monkey, and was severely overqualified. One day he said he was stepping out to get some pepto, and never returned. Two weeks later he called in and said "I guess I don't have a job anymore huh?" HR said "No, but it's good to hear you're still alive!"
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:00:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Looking at porn on company computer in local Starbucks wearing company uniform.  . Customer saw him and what was on his computer screen.  Called our office and complained.  Game over.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:14:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I was faculty at UCLA, but I had first applied to UCSF for a position in the Periodontology Section. The UCSF search committee consisted of two cell molecular biologists, three periodontists (former instructors of mine at UCSF) and two former graduate school buddies of mine from SUNYAB, where I'd received my PhD. Needless to say, I didn't get the position at UCSF, where my SUNYAB buddies voted against my return to UCSF.

One of the UCSF periodontists let me know how the vote had been 3-4 against my return. In the next few years, I received my grants and tenure at UCLA.

Then, one of my old buddies from SUNYAB was denied her tenure at UCSF due to horrendous teaching evaluations, mainly. I never heard of anything like that, so I suspect other factors may have been involved. I mean, those must have been truly lousy teaching evaluations. I mean, once I flunked 17 out of 88 students, and I didn't get dinged that bad.

My second buddy was denied tenure for the dumbest reason: he never defended his PhD dissertation at SUNYAB. He called himself a PhD but didn't have it.

For several years thereafter, UCSF Periodontology was short in personnel; down two faculty.

I laughed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#25]
We had a guy get pulled over for driving erratically in a company vehicle. Cops found half an ounce of skunk weed and some related paraphernalia. Turns out he was swerving because he was distracted by his phone, which was rigged to the dash and playing movies. Did I mention he was driving an 18-Wheeler loaded with 8,800 gallons of gasoline? A Rhodes scholar he was not.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:43:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looking at porn on company computer in local Starbucks wearing company uniform.  . Customer saw him and what was on his computer screen.  Called our office and complained.  Game over.
View Quote

I'm surprised the office got the right name.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 5:08:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Not... QUITE.... fired......

I worked for a security firm that had 3 dots on its patch. The clients built aircraft-- small fast aircraft that shoot at things and make them blow up, and big passenger aircraft that look like they have headaches.

One of the office people told me that at least 3 out of 5 applicants never returned after their mandatory on-hire piss tests.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 5:59:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

most job descriptions that I've seen include an often overlooked line "and other duties deemed..."   I've seen quite a few highly "specialized" guys get busted down because of that one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked for the DOD in the late 70's and early 80's.  This was a union job and doing a job outside of your job description was a basis for dismissal.  

I worked in the Electronics shop of a Naval shipyard and did mostly IFF installs and overhauls.  In order to work on a transponder (which was about the size of a loaf of bread) I could go on board and unplug the cables from the unit.  Then a machinist had to come down and unbolt it from the rack before a rigger removed it from the vessel to the dock where transportation would pick it up and deliver it to our shop a couple hundred yards away.  It may be a week before I could work on the piece of equipment that I had unplugged on the vessel.  If I took any short cuts and actually removed the gear and took it to our shop I would be eligible for dismissal. I couldn't even sweep the shop floor because that would be taking a job from the janitors.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 6:57:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I worked for the DOD in the late 70's and early 80's.  This was a union job and doing a job outside of your job description was a basis for dismissal.  

I worked in the Electronics shop of a Naval shipyard and did mostly IFF installs and overhauls.  In order to work on a transponder (which was about the size of a loaf of bread) I could go on board and unplug the cables from the unit.  Then a machinist had to come down and unbolt it from the rack before a rigger removed it from the vessel to the dock where transportation would pick it up and deliver it to our shop a couple hundred yards away.  It may be a week before I could work on the piece of equipment that I had unplugged on the vessel.  If I took any short cuts and actually removed the gear and took it to our shop I would be eligible for dismissal. I couldn't even sweep the shop floor because that would be taking a job from the janitors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta love unions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:02:48 AM EDT
[#30]
I worked as a delivery driver at a soda distribution company for 4 years.  There was a salesman there who was a semi-functioning alcoholic.  He looked drunk or at least buzzed most of the time he was on the clock.  He carried around a travel coffee mug in his car.  I doubt it was full of coffee.  His drinking caused frequent problems at work for many years.  The delivery driver for that salesman was a big weight lifter type guy with typical 'roid rage issues and a bad attitude.  One Friday morning at 0500 at the warehouse, Mr. Roid Rage is there with the other drivers and salesmen getting ready for the day.  Mr. Roid Rage is looking through his handheld computer at his list of deliveries for the day and I hear, "Where the f*ck is Town X??!!!!!!  J.T., you drunk motherf*cker!!!"  It seems the salesman had passed out in his car and never did visit the dozen or so accounts in that town.  Your driver usually notices when half of his regular daily route for the day is missing.  

J.T.'s story was that he was tired and had fallen asleep and that after waking up, he'd checked all of those accounts and they would be fine without delivery for that week.  One of the management types had to go out to those accounts and apologize to the store managers/owners and arrange delivery for Saturday and Mr. Roid Rage had to deliver those accounts on top of his normal Saturday route.  We thought that there was a good chance of Mr. Roid Rage beating J.T. to death over this.

This latest screw up didn't get J.T. fired, though.  He had done many, many things that would get a normal person fired, but he had a long history with the management guys at the company and they didn't can him that day.  Karma was not done with J.T., though.  One cold winter day he passed out in his car for who knows how long and he got frostbite so bad that a surgeon had to amputate both of his hands.  J.T. ended up dying in a nursing home miserable and alone.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:06:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lot of "welders" fresh out of welding school tell me or my boss to fuck ourselves. They were welders and wouldn't do xxxxxx work, like using a shovel to clean loose dirt out of a trench. The salesmen (college enrollment people) told them they'd make bout one-fiddy a year after college, easy bro. You make bank, just welding. If you get this degree and pass the certs you don't even have to fit pipe, they hire fitters to help you. It's a major problem in the welding industry. They are damn near unhirable for years after college because they believe that shit. It's dishonest sales tactics.

Nothing pisses off a manager like an employee who disputes "and other duties as assigned."

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I look at it this way I am getting paid to work and I can dig a ditch just as good as any Mexican,    Why Because I was taught how to use a sharpshooter and shovel by a MEXICAN.

We got paid by the hour and he taught me that you don't fight that sharpshooter, you use it like any other tool.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

refusing to do work signals that you have a backbone and you're not bitchmade like the rest of your coworkers
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I worked as a delivery driver at a soda distribution company for 4 years.  There was a salesman there who was a semi-functioning alcoholic.  He looked drunk or at least buzzed most of the time he was on the clock.  He carried around a travel coffee mug in his car.  I doubt it was full of coffee.  His drinking caused frequent problems at work for many years.  The delivery driver for that salesman was a big weight lifter type guy with typical 'roid rage issues and a bad attitude.  One Friday morning at 0500 at the warehouse, Mr. Roid Rage is there with the other drivers and salesmen getting ready for the day.  Mr. Roid Rage is looking through his handheld computer at his list of deliveries for the day and I hear, "Where the f*ck is Town X??!!!!!!  J.T., you drunk motherf*cker!!!"  It seems the salesman had passed out in his car and never did visit the dozen or so accounts in that town.  Your driver usually notices when half of his regular daily route for the day is missing.  

J.T.'s story was that he was tired and had fallen asleep and that after waking up, he'd checked all of those accounts and they would be fine without delivery for that week.  One of the management types had to go out to those accounts and apologize to the store managers/owners and arrange delivery for Saturday and Mr. Roid Rage had to deliver those accounts on top of his normal Saturday route.  We thought that there was a good chance of Mr. Roid Rage beating J.T. to death over this.

This latest screw up didn't get J.T. fired, though.  He had done many, many things that would get a normal person fired, but he had a long history with the management guys at the company and they didn't can him that day.  Karma was not done with J.T., though.  One cold winter day he passed out in his car for who knows how long and he got frostbite so bad that a surgeon had to amputate both of his hands.  J.T. ended up dying in a nursing home miserable and alone.

View Quote

Damn.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:12:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I worked a construction job building a dam,  a guy shows up late as usual and wearing flip flops.

Boss asks where are his steel toe boots, he said he left them at home because they hurt his feet and didn't feel he needed them. And wasn't going to.

Boss scratched his head and told him to go home and heal those feet and dont come back.

Miner had 50lbs of powder left over after he loaded his drilled out round.

Instead of taking it back to the powder mag, he stuck a cap in it and set it off going off shift.

The next shift came on and went to work that area and found blowed back and fubar utilities. A huge mess.And a crater that pointed to the cause of the mess.
View Quote

newmont mines ?
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

That's very enlightening as to why my unit was such a shithole of terrible soldiers. We had a guy who had recently been busted down to e1 for like the 3rd time when I arrived at the unit and they just managed to get rid of him 2 years later. The explanation always involved someone somewhere in the chain  'losing the chapter packet.'

Of course it could have been intentional because keeping a turd in the army and making him paint rocks for a year is probably worse than kicking him out...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Had a soldier that was late to formation several times in one week (twice in one day once) and got an Article 15 for it.  While on extra duty for that Art 15, he was late to formation a few more times.  For that he received a 2nd Article 15 and was recommended for a pattern of misconduct chapter.  That chapter was approved.  The all happened very rapidly, from first late formation to separation was just under 2 months.

If the NCOs are on top of the counseling statements, and the JAG office commits itself to rapid turnaround of Art. 15s and chapter packets, the system works well.  Especially once other junior enlisted see how (relatively) quickly he's punished and gone.  As a trial counsel, I ran my shop so that every Article 15 packet that came in the door from a unit was ready for pickup within 36 hours, chapter packets (if it had all the necessary supporting documentation) within 48 hours.  The key was getting my paralegals to understand that our mission was Customer Service to the commander of each unit we supported -- if we were not getting the commanders' stuff prepared rapidly, then WE were responsible for the breakdown of discipline in those units.  

Oh, and if every chapter/Art 15 packet that came in that day was ready for my final review at 1600, the paralegals got to go home early that day  Amazing how the feeling of "I GOT OFF WORK 30mins EARLY TODAYYY!!!!!" can put a smile on a young soldier's face.

That's very enlightening as to why my unit was such a shithole of terrible soldiers. We had a guy who had recently been busted down to e1 for like the 3rd time when I arrived at the unit and they just managed to get rid of him 2 years later. The explanation always involved someone somewhere in the chain  'losing the chapter packet.'

Of course it could have been intentional because keeping a turd in the army and making him paint rocks for a year is probably worse than kicking him out...

The processing goal is 15 days under most conditions from the commander signing the notification memo to approval. I've seen a chapter take 10 days from receipt of positive UA to approval. It takes a unit that has its shit together and actually wants to separate a guy to do it fast. If the squad leader doesn't feel like it and the first line likes the guy and the Firsr Sergeant never follows up, you wind up with guys taking months to get separated.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:20:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

refusing to do work signals that you have a backbone and you're not bitchmade like the rest of your coworkers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you were my employee refusing to do work signals you don't want your job.

I fired people for refusing to do things other than sell.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#38]
I do LP work.

I've seen people get fired for EPICALLY retarded shit.

One I was personally involved in was an employee that I caught drinking in the meat room.

The employee said "it's no big deal, the fucking sales floor is dead".  
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#39]
waitress got fired from my restaurant a while back for talking about her dick taking skills to a customer. yes really.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
waitress got fired from my restaurant a while back for talking about her dick taking skills to a customer. yes really.
View Quote

I'd give her more than the tip.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"you're fired"
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm, no.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#43]
And it's been my experience is that the no that's not my job people tend to not last because they're a bunch of lazy motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Gotta love unions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta love unions.

Fuck unions. Talk about working yourself out of a job. The original purpose and intent was sound (preventing unions was one of the few times the US government [until very recent history] has tried to bomb its own citizens) but then democraps got involved. I'm very glad that I live in an at will and right to work state.

Guess I owe a story. I knew a guy that was unemployed for being a weirdo. They supposedly fired him for performance reasons but all of his work that I ever saw was fine and we certainly had people who did worse work who kept their jobs. He's the kind of guy though that was easy to imagine trying to molest his 4 year old niece or something. He had a hand drawn picture of a big tit'ed fox on his desk. And by fox I mean the animal not a "hot chick." A drawing like many GD dwellers probably have around where it is half animal (the head) and half human (the body). There was no reason to have that at work to begin with but there was a busty chick in the department whose last name was Fox. I was always really nice to the guy though. Another employee asked me why I was so nice to him and I explained that I wanted to make sure I was on his nice list if he ever decided to come in and clear the place out (at least give me time to duck, run, hide, or leave).
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#45]

I just thought of 2 more:

2 Employees from another plant got fired for getting caught screwing in a nearby gas station parking lot. On camera. In uniform. On company time. Gas station emailed the camera footage to HR noting to "please tell your employees not to do this". Done.

Same plant, an employee got fired for pimping, literally. He was getting girls to work for an outside temp agency and sign up to work at the plant. People were buying some trim on their lunch breaks. It got to the point that people were owing him a bunch of money on payday, and he threatened them to pay up. Those employees got HR involved...

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I was a pretty new I & M Supervisor with Ma Bell.  I got a call to visit a super irate customer.  Customer came home to find my tech in bed with his woman.  Tech fired on the spot obviously.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Wait a minute.  He had a charge for maybe 40 gallons when his tank was maybe 25 gallons & you guys couldn't figure it out from the paperwork?  ...the point being, not the absolute numbers here, but obviously he was "filling his tank" with way more gas than its' capacity.

Or, the dirt track racer, same thing.  You guys never computed the MPG or anything?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Stealing gas, have lost 4 guys over that. Many more do it but don't get caught. Most common is filling a jug in your pickup and taking it home or having your wife meet you down there and pass the nozzle across to her. Had a guy that raced dirt track was siphoning his tank out with a pump every night. We got a locked up fuel tank the same week he got fired for other reasons. I was pursuing the fuel issue and did the math. He was stealing 1100 bucks in fuel a month. Our monthly bill went down 5 grand overnight when we stopped using fuel cards.

Wait a minute.  He had a charge for maybe 40 gallons when his tank was maybe 25 gallons & you guys couldn't figure it out from the paperwork?  ...the point being, not the absolute numbers here, but obviously he was "filling his tank" with way more gas than its' capacity.

Or, the dirt track racer, same thing.  You guys never computed the MPG or anything?

We almost fired a guy for that.  HR and legal got involved and he was basically walked half way out of the building before someone asked him his side of the story- he'd been gassing his service equip (welder and air comp) at the same time he gassed his truck and that's how he put 35gal in a 26gal tank.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Couple years ago I worked for a company that did E-911 addressing.  Had a new guy start and was doing training before being sent out to different counties that had contracted us.  We had trucks outfitted with GPS and tablets to do the surveying.  Instead of driving through nearby neighborhoods to collect sample data he drove across town to his girlfriends and stayed there for the day.  All while knowing his vehicle was outfitted with GPS.  

Gone that afternoon.

Just today I had to put my co-worker on probation.  She tried to eat some keys off my Pentagon laptop.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Couple years ago I worked for a company that did E-911 addressing.  Had a new guy start and was doing training before being sent out to different counties that had contracted us.  We had trucks outfitted with GPS and tablets to do the surveying.  Instead of driving through nearby neighborhoods to collect sample data he drove across town to his girlfriends and stayed there for the day.  All while knowing his vehicle was outfitted with GPS.  

Gone that afternoon.
Just today I had to put my co-worker on probation.  She tried to eat some keys off my Pentagon laptop.
View Quote
I must be slow, what does that mean?

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gone that afternoon.

Glad I'm not the only one
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top