BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 26
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could maybe just fix the damn dam, damn. Seriously though, one load of top soil would probably do it.
View Quote

It really needs to be a dumptruck load of crush and run.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could maybe just fix the damn dam, damn. Seriously though, one load of top soil would probably do it.

We need a load of 57's for the dam, and a bunch of shovels and a day. 57's will drain and are "open graded" requiring no compaction...they also won't wash on a flat surface.

Fill the ruts first and then spread the remainder evenly over the rest of the road.

But this costs money.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We need a load of 57's for the dam, and a bunch of shovels and a day. 57's will drain and are "open graded" requiring no compaction...they also won't wash on a flat surface.

Fill the ruts first and then spread the remainder evenly over the rest of the road.

But this costs money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But this costs money.

Yeah, I was talking about a $20 bandaid, your talking about $500 surgery.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Cash might be another story, but there will be 100+ people there who can swing a shovel
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But this costs money.

A pick-up truckload of topsoil wouldn't fix it for the weekend, sadly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But this costs money.

How much are we talking for the right solution?  Is $500 about right?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Sa-weet!
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, yeah, that's about right. Maybe a bit less.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ground clearance. A new problem arises.

Looks like it's time for a lift kit!
View Quote

Dude, a Chevy Sonic made it up the hill last year
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh, road conditions have worsened
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#11]
We won't be able to make it to CWE.  Please take my name off the standby list. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We won't be able to make it to CWE.  Please take my name off the standby list. Thanks
View Quote

What she said. Take my name off as well. Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But this costs money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But this costs money.

Yea, those ruts were pretty ugly last year. Pics would be cool to give everyone an idea before they just try to run it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Keep in mind there's plenty of parking down by the house before the lake and its only 50yards walk up to the campsite
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

...and its only 50yards walk up to the campsite
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, my truck, even though it's two wheel drive, has good ground clearance and all terrains and I believe my air dam scraped the center of the dam a few times last weekend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you know, just learn how to drive.  

somebody hasn't seen the road lately

Yeah, my truck, even though it's two wheel drive, has good ground clearance and all terrains and I believe my air dam scraped the center of the dam a few times last weekend.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you know, just learn how to drive.  

somebody hasn't seen the road lately

If the trailer doesn't clear, you guys have a lot of shit to pack up that hill, or a long walk to get grub.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm, just order up a couple loads of 2" clean (will hold better than your #57, 1" clean) from the quarry, put it down with a highlift (assuming the drivers can't spread and have to dump a pile) and then sweeten it up with a blade (motor grader) and roll it in with your smooth drum roller.  That's what I would do.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Umm, just order up a couple loads of 2" clean (will hold better than your #57, 1" clean) from the quarry, put it down with a highlift (assuming the drivers can't spread and have to dump a pile) and then sweeten it up with a blade (motor grader) and roll it in with your smooth drum roller.  That's what I would do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We don't have any of that equipment, and renting it or paying someone to do it would take it to the thousands.

We can have someone dump the 57's and spread it by hand, and you don't have to compact it. Hell, you can't compact it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#20]
If you've volunteered to bring water containers, propane, or anything else for that matter, please IM me so I can make a list and make sure we have things covered.

If you're helping with a meal, and have any dry goods or equipment on your shopping list, please IM me.  I've set up an Amazon list and I'll get you the link  (Or you might be able to find it just by searching for Cola Warrior East).  Anything perishable we'll get locally.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you've volunteered to bring water containers, propane, or anything else for that matter, please IM me so I can make a list and make sure we have things covered.

If you're helping with a meal, and have any dry goods or equipment on your shopping list, please IM me.  I've set up an Amazon list and I'll get you the link  (Or you might be able to find it just by searching for Cola Warrior East).  Anything perishable we'll get locally.
View Quote

I've got 4 or 5 20lb propane tanks. I don't know how many are full, but you/we can exchange them at Walmart.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#22]
American Kami has been added to the Sponsor List. Check out the website. Has some beautiful blades on there.

BTW, all sponsors are linked in OP if you haven't figured that out yet.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've got 4 or 5 20lb propane tanks. I don't know how many are full, but you/we can exchange them at Walmart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Distributing the load.  If a handful of people bring one each, you don't have to haul 4 of them up and back.  You'll need plenty of space in your truck for the pig.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We don't have any of that equipment, and renting it or paying someone to do it would take it to the thousands.

We can have someone dump the 57's and spread it by hand, and you don't have to compact it. Hell, you can't compact it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop not having access to heavy equipment.  

Oh, and yes, you can compact clean rock, especially if you scarify the first load into the soil and cap it off with the second load.  Actually, it will compact regardless.  You just can't test for compaction on clean rock easily, like you can base rock or dirt.  We have to do it all the time when we put down the drainage course under building slabs and when using for backfill in our utility trenches.

I know my dirt and gravels, lol, been working with them for over 30 years.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#25]
By the way, barring the great Peep strike of 2016 impacting supply, I'll get the Peeps ordered up and headed your way in a couple weeks.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sylvania, Georgia. At the Cola Plantation. Dates to follow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only posting here because it's getting alot of attention right now - what's the approx. location for Cola Warrior SouthEast?

Sylvania, Georgia. At the Cola Plantation. Dates to follow.

Cool, I have relatives there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm bringing a ton of CherryBalmz

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I suppose I can setup a lube station, as long as nobody minds running their AR on ATF. (dextron III, not that ATF, lol.)

Does someone else have a table? I have a couple, but unfortunately they're all in-use at home, and until the other truck transmission gets rebuilt, I have none to spare.

I'm bringing a ton of CherryBalmz

This is the bomb.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Oh, and yes, you can compact clean rock, especially if you scarify the first load into the soil and cap it off with the second load.  Actually, it will compact regardless.  You just can't test for compaction on clean rock easily, like you can base rock or dirt.  We have to do it all the time when we put down the drainage course under building slabs and when using for backfill in our utility trenches.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a soils and aggregrate, concrete (VDOT and ACI,) asphalt (plant and field) certified Road and Drainage Construction Inspector of 10 years.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#29]
If talking fixed roads we could drive a fucking wagon full of nitroglycerin and dancing bears up this road and not even break a sweat by now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#30]
How did I miss this thread til now?  I always thought this looked like fun and thought I might be able to make it this year. Can you start a standy list for the standby list?  

Just kidding about the new list.  I'll keep my eye on the thread and see if things open up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How did I miss this thread til now?  I always thought this looked like fun and thought I might be able to make it this year. Can you start a standy list for the standby list?  

Just kidding about the new list.  I'll keep my eye on the thread and see if things open up.
View Quote

Unless everyone on the list shows and all of the standbys show and all of the people that said they want added after the standby list closed show, you can just show up and run.  So, show up, you'll be able to run or at the very least hang out and have some great food with the worst bunch of reprobates ever to walk the earth.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm a soils and aggregrate, concrete (VDOT and ACI,) asphalt (plant and field) certified Road and Drainage Construction Inspector of 10 years.  
View Quote

Then  you should know that clean gravel will compact, when hit with a smooth vibratory roller, lol.

ETA, not much, but it will.  When you're grading a building pad to +/- .5" you learn to leave it a smidge high before it's rolled.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Then  you should know that clean gravel will compact, when hit with a smooth vibratory roller, lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And there's a lot of things that vibrate at Cola Warrior.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where's that George Takei meme with "OH MY!", lol
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Called to order the pig today at lunch.  He told me when I called the first time that this was the earliest he'd take an order, but he asked me to wait until a couple of weeks out...and sorta bitched (in a friendly manner) about people that were looking for one that day.

This place sure has a narrow window of acceptability for placing an order.

Anyway, I'm going to start looking for a backup procurer of pigs, if anyone knows of one please get me the info.  I think this place is good to go, but like I said...backup.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Martin American Designs has sent some bottle openers and stickers.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Never heard of them, but I find myself needing to shop there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#39]

You know, I've wondered if the AR hammer would make a decent bottle opener.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Fuck! I'm out. Too much personal shit to go into here. See you sickos at CWSE or CWC.
 HDLS, looks you're up. AVENGE ME!!!!!!! Ride eternal, shiny and chrome my Colabro. Valhalla awaits.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Fuck! I'm out. Too much personal shit to go into here. See you sickos at CWSE or CWC.
 HDLS, looks you're up. AVENGE ME!!!!!!! Ride eternal, shiny and chrome my Colabro. Valhalla awaits.
View Quote

I was looking forward to hanging out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:56:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

ETA, not much, but it will.  When you're grading a building pad to +/- .5" you learn to leave it a smidge high before it's rolled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aside from knocking 57's into subgrade (which is what I think you mean by compact) you cannot compact them any more than driving a lawn mower over them makes it "tighter." Via contracts there is a reason it's call "open graded stone" as opposed to "dense graded stone" like 21B's but I DO get your meaning. In our circumstance 57's are the bee's knees.

We still have 81 people on the 100% "in" list...but do not despair standby's. Come on down. Donate. Worst case scenario you get to hang out with awful people and eat good food, and maybe become a CW vet while you're at it.

Please folks, if you or your plusses can't make it, say so asap.

You are responsible for your plusses the same as you are for yourself when it comes to attendance.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
Met with oncologist yesterday, Wife (my +1) will have surgery on Thursday, will be out of work 4-6 weeks. Will maybe spectate but definitely cannot run.

She insists, however, that I go, so I'll be there. After 3 weeks she'll probably be sick of my ugly mug anyway.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Met with oncologist yesterday, Wife (my +1) will have surgery on Thursday, will be out of work 4-6 weeks. Will maybe spectate but definitely cannot run.

She insists, however, that I go, so I'll be there. After 3 weeks she'll probably be sick of my ugly mug anyway.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck to you and your wife, and let us know if you guys need anything.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#46]
p_more and I went to the site today for a practice run, answered a few questions:

1) the address is 2219 Cedar Tree Road
2) wall is 10'4"
3) I can still salmon ladder like a beast
4) I was wrong about it being a 50yd walk from the accessible parking area to the camping area, it's actually about 75yd, devastating I know
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
p_more and I went to the site today for a practice run, answered a few questions:

2) wall is 10'4"
4) I was wrong about it being a 50yd walk from the accessible parking area to the camping area, it's actually about 75yd, devastating I know
View Quote

1)Knowing the wall measurement defines what I know I can't do.
2) I still can't salmon ladder even one rung
3) The walk isn't important as the truck will carry me across the first obstacle of CWE

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

2) wall is 10'4"
View Quote

Cool, thanks.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Well crap.

My RamCharger just took a huge dump on me this weekend. I may be driving a car with 3" of ground clearance instead. Looks like I'll be hoofing it to the campsite, unless a new ECU fixes it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#50]

IR reflective patches came in. All night runners, top 5 overall, and maybe some others will get them.
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top