BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
prayers for the both of you man.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Prayers sent from our family to yours. Hoping for a speedy recovery!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got the call today from MUSC, we are perfect matches and approved for direct transplant from me to her.  Up until today, the match was an assumption but the 3 tests came back negative.  

They spin down our blood and mix our white cells and look for a reaction, no reaction is good, hence a negative response is the desired outcome.  This also means that her anti rejection meds will be minimized.  YAY!!!!

We actually thought this test was already completed but it is good to know it is now.

She had a few things to do with her local docs today and I have a few next week with my doc to get ready.  I will post pics showing the damage when the remove and install is done.
View Quote

Nice!  Glad everything is going to plan.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#4]
What an awesome thread.

Best of luck to you both.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent news OP

Remember , stay ahead of the curve for BP and anti rejection stuff.

Oh and,
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#6]
No experience but as others have said, I wish you and your daughter the best of luck.  Going under the knife is never fun but you are sure doing it for the right reasons.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Got the call today from MUSC, we are perfect matches and approved for direct transplant from me to her.  Up until today, the match was an assumption but the 3 tests came back negative.  

They spin down our blood and mix our white cells and look for a reaction, no reaction is good, hence a negative response is the desired outcome.  This also means that her anti rejection meds will be minimized.  YAY!!!!

We actually thought this test was already completed but it is good to know it is now.

She had a few things to do with her local docs today and I have a few next week with my doc to get ready.  I will post pics showing the damage when the remove and install is done.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#9]
good for you OP. Hope all goes well for both of you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow! Great news!
You sir are amazing!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw a man today.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just caught the update! Glad the operation is a go, and you still win father of the century.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome OP. Best of luck to the both of you and a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I hope.all goes well.for both of you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Personal setback.

So I had a app to see my  Doc on Tuesday to schedule my 50yo Rotor Rooter.  

Well I got fucking strep throat last weekend, so I went to my doc's urgent care first thing Monday AM.  Got a Rocephin shot, and 875mg Amoxi X2 daily.  Now 4 days later still running an afternoon fever and my throat is like hamburger.  The amoxi isn't doing shit to this bug.

Going in tomorrow to get another antibiotic.  Jeez, I have not been sick in 15-20 years and now this.  The big deal with strep, it can fuck up your kidneys.     For sure not something my daughter and I need right now.  

I think I caught the bug at a nasty lab that MUSC uses here in my AOR, the incubation period is right and that place was full of really fucking sick people.  It would also support that I got the bug in a medical facility, bugs like this are common in places like this lab.  

FML and my kid's.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Get well soon. Always like to read decent stuff like this.  Hope kid is ok
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#17]
God bless you both.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Let me echo the good wishes that have already been shared.

You are a good man.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#19]
That is true love that almost any Father can understand.   You are truly a "man among men", and someone to be admired.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow, can't say I'd do the same - but I've also yet to be a parent.  Good on you.

Edit:  I do donate blood on a regular basis!
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Personal setback.

Well I got fucking strep throat last weekend, so I went to my doc's urgent care first thing Monday AM.  Got a Rocephin shot, and 875mg Amoxi X2 daily.  Now 4 days later still running an afternoon fever and my throat is like hamburger.  The amoxi isn't doing shit to this bug.

Going in tomorrow to get another antibiotic.  Jeez, I have not been sick in 15-20 years and now this.  The big deal with strep, it can fuck up your kidneys.     For sure not something my daughter and I need right now.  

I think I caught the bug at a nasty lab that MUSC uses here in my AOR, the incubation period is right and that place was full of really fucking sick people.  It would also support that I got the bug in a medical facility, bugs like this are common in places like this lab.  

FML and my kid's.
View Quote

Don't stress it right now. Kick strep's ass, get better, then operation will be good to go.

No negativity allowed in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Don't stress it right now. Kick strep's ass, get better, then operation will be good to go.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personal setback.

FML and my kid's.

Thanks for the encouragement.  This is  just such an bad time to get sick and a really bad bug to get.  I have been ill since at least Sunday, likely longer and did not know it.

My daughter is doing well right now which is a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Best of luck to both of you. The bond between father and daughter is unbreakable... I know that as of 15 months ago.

I hope everything goes well and your recovery is speedy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#25]
OP my experience was back in the 70's when I was a young boy.  My Mother was an artificial kidney patient.  I don't remember the exact year but I was 8-10 years old, up to that point she had been on dialysis as long as I could remember.  Three days a week for 6-8 hours at a time if I remember right.

I remember hearing my parents talking about her needing a new kidney but really did  not understand all the details.  All of the family members on both sides of the family got tested to see if they were a match for a transplant.  I remember everyone being excited because it came back that her sister was a match.  I remember being taken to the hospital to see my mom and aunt after the transplant.  

My mom was able to keep the kidney for 3-4 years before she lost it.  Remember, this was back in the 70's.  She went back onto dialysis and was dependent on it until she died in 1981.  She died 1 week before I graduated high school.

That transplant gave me time with my mom that I would not have had otherwise.  Although she did not see me graduate, she died knowing I would.

The aunt who donated her kidney is still my favorite aunt and we have a special relationship because of it.

Best of luck and God Bless.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks for the encouragement.  This is  just such an bad time to get sick and a really bad bug to get.  I have been ill since at least Sunday, likely longer and did not know it.

My daughter is doing well right now which is a good thing.

View Quote

Part in red is what really matters!
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#27]
God bless you, OP.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Good luck to both of you sir
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes,

My dad just received from my step mom about a month ago. Recovery is individual but it's an extremely safe operation and well perfected. The anti-rejection medication regiment is overwhelming for the first 6 months.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have been cleared to donate a kidney to my daughter and we will be going under the knife as soon as next month.  Are there any donors or recipients on GD who can share their experiences with me?
View Quote

You are a Father with a capital F...may you live forever!
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I donated a kidney to my wife three and a half years ago.  I actually gave my kidney to someone in Californa to start a chain that led to my wife receiving a kidney from South Carolina.  The National Kidney Registry took care of all the logistics which involved charter flights and helicopter rides.  My surgery was at 6am, hers was around 5pm that day.

I was at Cleveland Clinic for three days.  I was sore as hell, but drugged up enough to not care.  Cleveland Clinic treats donors like royalty.  Meals were filet and pork chops, not the normal cafeteria food.  I was back to work doing no heavy lifting in 40 days.  The survey was planned to be laparoscopically but my kidney was too large, so they ended up opening me up across my lower belly.  Opening was about 6" long and healed to a scar in 60 days or so.  My wife was off work for 90 days but was able to work, or drive me crazy within 30.  The recipient usually feels great immeadialty after, they now have a working renal organ.  She dropped 30lbs of water weight in a week.

Long term effects for me, I get dehydrated easier.  Drinks water!  Lots of water!  I don't drink beer as much or as heavily because of this, but that's a small price to pay.  No more ibuprofen, it's processed in the kidney.  I might be lucky but that's really it, I'm back 100% and the old lady is doing great.  She has medical issues, but the imunisupression drugs take there toll.

Worst thing... The citric acid I had to drink the night before the surgery.  I was on the pot all night, it wasn't pretty.  It was worth my wife's life, it's worth your daughters for sure.  Good luck!

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s447/jeepmcd/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/39DE4DDF-1236-41B6-B1D2-85454115BABB.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been cleared to donate a kidney to my daughter and we will be going under the knife as soon as next month.  Are there any donors or recipients on GD who can share their experiences with me?

I donated a kidney to my wife three and a half years ago.  I actually gave my kidney to someone in Californa to start a chain that led to my wife receiving a kidney from South Carolina.  The National Kidney Registry took care of all the logistics which involved charter flights and helicopter rides.  My surgery was at 6am, hers was around 5pm that day.

I was at Cleveland Clinic for three days.  I was sore as hell, but drugged up enough to not care.  Cleveland Clinic treats donors like royalty.  Meals were filet and pork chops, not the normal cafeteria food.  I was back to work doing no heavy lifting in 40 days.  The survey was planned to be laparoscopically but my kidney was too large, so they ended up opening me up across my lower belly.  Opening was about 6" long and healed to a scar in 60 days or so.  My wife was off work for 90 days but was able to work, or drive me crazy within 30.  The recipient usually feels great immeadialty after, they now have a working renal organ.  She dropped 30lbs of water weight in a week.

Long term effects for me, I get dehydrated easier.  Drinks water!  Lots of water!  I don't drink beer as much or as heavily because of this, but that's a small price to pay.  No more ibuprofen, it's processed in the kidney.  I might be lucky but that's really it, I'm back 100% and the old lady is doing great.  She has medical issues, but the imunisupression drugs take there toll.

Worst thing... The citric acid I had to drink the night before the surgery.  I was on the pot all night, it wasn't pretty.  It was worth my wife's life, it's worth your daughters for sure.  Good luck!

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s447/jeepmcd/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/39DE4DDF-1236-41B6-B1D2-85454115BABB.jpg

And another one!  May you live forever!  I hope you have children.  I hope your children are like you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Bad ass op.  Good on yall
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Back at the doc today.  I think they found meds that work.

IV antibiotic line in the office, new oral antibiotic for 7 more days, steriod shot.  For the first time in almost a week I am not running an evening fever.  I sure hope this round works, if it doesn't they are going to admit me....

So far, so good.  

I am still VERY concerned what it may have done to our kidneys.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

IV antibiotic line in the office, new oral antibiotic for 7 more days, steriod shot.  For the first time in almost a week I am not running an evening fever.  I sure hope this round works, if it doesn't they are going to admit me....

So far, so good.  

View Quote

Glad you're getting better! Daughter still doing alright?

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Good man, great father.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far, so good.  

Yep, She is doing fine.  Her disease is silent, until her kidneys pretty much shit the bed completely she can get along fine.  Her BP and potassium levels have to be monitored closely and as long as they stay in healthy ranges she does damn good.  When those get whacked she is BAD off.  So, a number of BP meds, no bananas and such and she does okay.  Her GFR has leveled for the last month instead of the rapid decline she was seeing.  

I have to hope it stays level for a long time or at least until I heal completely.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#37]
FML...

Thought it was strep, two weeks on and still sick.  Doc ran a test for MONO (yes teenagers disease) today.  Guess what I have, fucking MONO.  

There is no doubt I caught it at MUSC, all those labs, people and such meant I was exposed to a ton of new stuff to me.  I am now on antiviral meds and prednisone.  

I sure hope this crap does not hurt our kidneys.

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Your man card has now been registered as permanent.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Hope you get feeling better OP.

You did good man!
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Good an ya Dad. Praying all goes well, so it will. You and that little girl are gonna have a special kinda closeness after this. Outstanding.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#41]
best wishes
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Hope you both have speedy recoveries, man.

ETA Just saw the part about you getting sick

Fingers crossed, brother.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Good luck to both of you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#44]
You are an awesome dad. Well done sir, well done indeed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Get well soon man. Lifetime hero and man card for you my friend. Stay positive and strong.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

My doc was funny.

(Doc)Nah, there is no way you have mono at 50.  You had that crap when you were young, 50yos never present with true mono symptoms.  

(me) I ran down my symptoms.  Long list and many I only knew were symptoms after my wife and and WebMd pointed them out.  (I hate WebMD, you go there with a cold and end up thinking you are going to die so I don't use the site much) My odd one was a very light charlie horse feeling around my stomach and spleen when I yawned or coughed, which I had not even thought of as a symptom (it is, your spleen enlarges with mono).

(Doc) Damn, at 50?  Let's run the rapid lab stat and see.

10 minutes later.

(Doc) Shit Erik, you do have mono, EBV is positive.  I have never seen it in anyone your age.  I guess there is first for everything.  I guess WebMD can be good for something.  

I got some crazy antiviral meds now.  I hope this works.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
Been under the knife, but not as a donor. Emergency bowel resection

The wake up is a bitch if they go light on the happy gas. But the delaudid makes it better.. Waaaaaayyy better duuuude

Your doing a good thing dad. Prayers to you and your daughter
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Good luck and get some rest. I'm recovering from mono too. Really kicked my ass.

Mono really only fucks up your liver and/or spleen and those are rare complications. Just listen to your body and rest. It can take months to get fully back to 100%
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Hang in there dad, still saying prayers for you guys...and be nice to that kidney as well...
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

My doc was funny.

(Doc)Nah, there is no way you have mono at 50.  You had that crap when you were young, 50yos never present with true mono symptoms.  

(me) I ran down my symptoms.  Long list and many I only knew were symptoms after my wife and and WebMd pointed them out.  (I hate WebMD, you go there with a cold and end up thinking you are going to die so I don't use the site much) My odd one was a very light charlie horse feeling around my stomach and spleen when I yawned or coughed, which I had not even thought of as a symptom (it is, your spleen enlarges with mono).

10 minutes later.

(Doc) Shit Erik, you do have mono, EBV is positive.  I have never seen it in anyone your age.  I guess there is first for everything.  I guess WebMD can be good for something.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My doc was funny.

10 minutes later.

Man, sorry to hear that. Mono sucks ... bad. I had it when I was almost 40, and it absolutely smashed the crap out of me. Hopefully your intensity and duration is limited with help from the meds!

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top