Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/30/2016 1:27:08 AM EDT
ill share the sad details another time. For now, I need to understand if it is realistic for him to live out of his truck? Air mattress and pickup bed tent? Where can he legally park?  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:29:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
ill share the sad details another time. For now, I need to understand if it is realistic for him to live out of his truck? Air mattress and pickup bed tent? Where can he legally park?  

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Find a campground nearby and pay a week or two for him till he gets self sufficient again. I did it after my   divorce for a short while.

Set tent up on ground, parking already taken care of. Showers and bathrooms nearby and then I had my kids we stayed at my folks house will It worked out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:30:21 AM EDT
[#2]
He can legally park anywhere you can.

Go look at him sleeping in his truck you will see that its plenty real.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:31:39 AM EDT
[#3]
If he's like my brother, fuck him and let him be.

Mine was homeless, I let him live in my house and gave him a job. He fucked me. A year later he was homeless again for two months; begged me for another chance, so I got him a house and gave him a job.

He missed three days this week.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:32:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Park it somewhere open 24 hours like Walmart or McDonald's so you can use the bathroom and clean up. Plus get food and such.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:32:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Find a campground nearby and pay a week or two for him till he gets self sufficient again. I did it after my   divorce for a short while.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

I was thinking you could let him park at your house and camp out the back...
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:34:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I never lived in my truck but I spent a lot of nights in it.  Won't be fun but you can do much worse.

I would recommend moving it around and not spending too much time near bars.  Campgrounds with showers for the win
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:44:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Help him in whatever way you can/is feasible for you to. He is your brother. You might have plenty of reasons to not help him (or you may not), but he is your brother.

I'd die for my brother.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:44:59 AM EDT
[#8]
This is a periodic problem that will never change. He is bipolar and makes irrational decisions. He's allowed himself to be used and of course uses others. Sadly, he is a very kind person and would give you the shirt off his back. He needs professional help and counseling but mostly he needs a roof over his head. Currently works at Walmart and was living with co workers who kicked him out. Probably his fault. No other friends or place to go. Drives an old dodge that he manages to keep up the payment on.  Sometimes.

ETA he doesn't do drugs and has no convictions.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:49:04 AM EDT
[#9]
If he doesn't have a camper shell maybe see if you can find one for him on Craigslist or something.

Sorry to hear that about your bro.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:49:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

From traveling cross country I'd say Walmart parking lot or parked at 10 pm up by 6 am on public street in municipalities that don't ban sleeping in a vehicle although most do.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:50:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is a periodic problem that will never change. He is bipolar and makes irrational decisions. He's allowed himself to be used and of course uses others. Sadly, he is a very kind person and would give you the shirt off his back. He needs professional help and counseling but mostly he needs a roof over his head. Currently works at Walmart and was living with co workers who kicked him out. Probably his fault. No other friends or place to go. Drives an old dodge that he manages to keep up the payment on.  Sometimes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Do this OP, it sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't let him live at your house however, sounds like trouble in the making.

Quoted:

Set tent up on ground, parking already taken care of. Showers and bathrooms nearby and then I had my kids we stayed at my folks house will It worked out.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:52:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

Divorce....yet to hear 1 other guy who has said things were rosy from day 1. But heard several women describe it as wonderful with none mentioning sleeping in cars
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:54:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Had a buddy that did this for awhile. He had a cheap ($10) a month gym membership. He used their facilities to shower, and keep his cell phone charged. The hardest part for him was not blowing the budget on food. (He was in a similar situation, employed and kicked out.) he had several tricks to save cash, and did it in a Saturn if I recall with fold down rear seats to the trunk. He lived near the beach and would park there for free. Lucky he was back on his feet in about a month
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:55:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Mine was homeless, I let him live in my house and gave him a job. He fucked me. A year later he was homeless again for two months; begged me for another chance, so I got him a house and gave him a job.

View Quote
Just got done having the 4x4 hauled back to the house, 400 tow and hauling fee, I don't care where he sleeps, missed two months of child support , so when that finally pushes a warrant I am going to have visitors, since his lazy ass will not change it.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:00:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:08:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If he doesn't have a camper shell maybe see if you can find one for him on Craigslist or something.

Sorry to hear that about your bro.
View Quote

I was going to say this as well.  You should be able to find an inexpensive shell on craigslist, ebay, etc. which will allow him to have a roof over his head that he doesn't have to take down and put up every night.  It also allows him to store his stuff and have a (small) bit of security if it locks.  He works at Wal-Mart so either makes some curatins or otherwise black out the windows and he can stealth camp lots of places including the Wal-Mart parking lot.  If there's a local cheap gym or YMCA that'll give him a place to shower.  A small batery powered fan in the back and an air mattress will make like much more comfortable when trying to sleep.  

Check out sites like expeditionportal.com for examples of how folks set up their trucks for extended travel and that'll give you some  good ideas on what you need, what works, etc.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:18:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Divorce....yet to hear 1 other guy who has said things were rosy from day 1. But heard several women describe it as wonderful with none mentioning sleeping in cars
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

I'd like to agree that it's because they come out better, but the fact is that it's a difference in attitude, rather than finances. Most women will swallow their pride and go back to their parent's house, or stay with a friend, before they live in a vehicle. Men like to be self sufficient and take pride in misery. I've seen both sides in my parents divorce.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:24:33 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I spent the night at the Donley county eastbound rest area last week. I was very surprised at how nice it is, seeing as how it's in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:26:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I've spent some time traveling with my Diesel 4x4...alot.

Truck camping can be done, but not without some basics.
Shelter/security is the most basic.

He will need a decent 1/2-3/4 ton truck for a slide in, any truck will do for a camper shell.

#1 slide-in camper....
     I prefer more compact units of 11.5ft or less

This will have a bed, and basic ones will have a sink, fridge, .....fancier ones will have shower...toilet, etc.
     More expensive option.

#2  camper shell....
  A taller ceiling preferred.  Good for shelter from bad weather, room for basics  like sleeping/eating, and lockable.
  Cheaper option, some may even include carpet kits.

After that, campgrounds, campsites, even some cheap paylots are ok for overnite parking.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:39:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
....Currently works at Walmart....
View Quote

Well shit...he's got it made then!  He doesn't even need to leave the parking lot.  

Microwave & fridge in the break room, everything WM sells (food, clothes, hygiene, camping section).  Go to nearest truck stop/campground/co-workers house every other day for a shower.  Sponge bath in the WM bathroom in between days, and he's golden!

I have actually thought about getting a large slide-in camper and living in it  Can't afford a house, but I can swing that!
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:40:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

My brother is the same way for the first 2 sentences. After that my brother seems to be a much bigger POS.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:47:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I know a guy who lived out of a mini van year round for 2 years in North Dakota. Your brother will be fine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:52:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd say Wal Mart is one of the best options. They actually encourage campers as it cuts down on the crime in the parking lots.

Direct him to a gym that offers a week free and see if he can use the facilities to clean up and keep clean.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:29:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Homeless Shelter
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:42:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I lived out of a Honda Accord for about 3 weeks. Wal Mart parking lot in a decent neighborhood is the best option.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:45:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Not homeless but it's a dream/bucket list to live 6 months or so with nothing but a motorcycle, tent, and sleeping bag. Probably got to old now.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 4:53:44 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
If it was my brother I'd let him live with me even if he had problems, if family can't help you when you have problems than who can?  It might be because I'm Puerto Rican but blood is blood and I'll be damned if my sibling is going to be living on the street when I could help him or her.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:05:31 AM EDT
[#28]
http://guide2homelessness.blogspot.com/2004/10/introduction-to-project.html
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:26:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Walmart will allow you to park in their lot and stay for 24hr periods (likely a lot longer depending on their management)
you will often see truckers and campers camping out in wally worlds parking lots.
They also have camera's and are relatively more safe than camping out in the woods or a truck stop.
He will also have access to their restrooms and food/clothes etc from the store.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:37:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Cheaprvliving.com

More people living this way than you think, lots of good info.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Homeless Shelter
View Quote

Usually one of the absolute worst places to stay.  Think bed bugs, assault, theft, crazies, stink, etc.  There is a reason you see so many homeless on the streets instead of in the shelters, they'd prefer to take their chance on the street.  

Since the guy already has a full sized truck I'd reccomend the camper shell and a minimal setup in the back.  I've spent a month at a time living and traveling out of the back of Tacomas on several trips out west and down Baja.  An RV would be more comfortable but it's certainly doable in a truck.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Google had enough weirdo employees doing it that they needed to makes rules about it. 20 year olds thinking that they will just live in the van long enough to save a a million.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Is there a 24/7 gym in the area? For bathroom use. Otherwise, it's gonna be uncomfortable. Bucket with seat. Finding a shower. Wall mart parking lots. Moving every night so no one complains to the police.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Is he a vet? VA started a big initiative for homeless that could help.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Cheaprvliving.com

More people living this way than you think, lots of good info.
View Quote

Lived out of a truck for years when I was young. Quite the adventure, saw some beautiful country, met a lot of people, and really missed daily showers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol

there is no better fucking than you get from family.

uncle who lived with us for a few months stole all the good shit when i was growing up, including my gameboy and snes.

my only family is now on my stepmoms side.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If it was my brother I'd let him live with me even if he had problems, if family can't help you when you have problems than who can?  It might be because I'm Puerto Rican but blood is blood and I'll be damned if my sibling is going to be living on the street when I could help him or her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spoken like someone who has never dealt with a bipolar relative or friend

What makes you think he would stay with you even if you let him?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Where can he legally park?
View Quote

Down by the river?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
He can legally park anywhere you can.

Go look at him sleeping in his truck you will see that its plenty real.
View Quote

Some cities make it illegal to car camp.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Don't "give" your brother anything, not  helpful for him or your relationship with him.  Find a nearby mental health program or service and let your brother know you'll help him get a camper shell, or any other small carrot or useful thing you have in mind.  Tell him to get enrolled for services and to inform the program(s) that he's homeless and has been mentally ill for a long time, etc.  The "homeless" could be the magic word that gets him medications and maybe other help asap.  That's where you come in to leverage influence and provide those helpful things/carrots you can offer, if he follows through.  

Be sure to push, like all hell (try a huge carrot), for brother to accept an injectable (a shot) of medications.  He can't remove that from his body or throw it away.  Typical oral meds and bipolars aren't a great mix because they have a poor track record of medication compliance.  If taking pills made you lethargic, "boring", took away my personality, etc. most of us would throw them away too.  Taking mental health meds can also be a personal confirmation there's actually "something wrong" when they can't even control their own mind, which would not be easy for even a stable person, let alone mentally ill people.

Expect some inconvenience or a more distant town to find help for your brother, but it's the first and best thing you could ever do for him...the old "give him a cheeseburger or teach how to farm" kinda thing.  Maybe there's some programs or services nearby.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Down by the river?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where can he legally park?

Down by the river?
Van parking only down there.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#42]
I had a friend who did this for a while when he was working in the oilfield and couldn't find a motel room.

He advised stashing your car keys somewhere outside the vehicle.

Apparently he got shook down by the local Barney Fife's a couple of times who were looking to arrest him for DUI/Public Drunk/"Actual Physical Control". He didn't drink, the local po-po just ASSumed that anyone found sleeping in a car was drunk.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#43]
As someone who lives in the homeless mecca of Seattle, and as one who has proactively sought out homeless vets to get them off the street. My
advice to you is that there is not much you can do to help his situation unless he really wants to get out of the situation.
Where will he sleep or use the bathroom?
Around here homeless with cars park everywhere they can. Residential neighborhood streets are common. Restroom facilities range from McDonalds to public
libraries.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#44]
next to an intersection so he can beg for money when the cars are stopped for a light
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^ +1000. Have some compassion dude, he's is your brother.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Depends on location. Some places, you'll have cops all over you for doing it.
Tell him to keep a window cracked, a vehicle gets gamey real fast when you're living in it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

I slept on my best friend's couch for several months. It was wonderful compared to being married.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever dealt with a bipolar person?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#49]
unless he is going to be spending each night in a camp grounds I'd skip the truck-tent and get him an actual topper, either a plain jane or an actual 'camper' type (overall taller, generally has a door vs tailgate vs topper flip-up.

actual topper is going to give more security to his goods and provide a lower profile.  If you see a truck with a cap parked someplace, you figure as it's always on nothing stands out. Truck tent, being something you set up vs leave on, that tells people there is someone actively sleeping.  Can draw those with bad intent.  Also can draw unwanted police interest who may equate homeless people with crime and desire to 'make it uncomfortable for them so they go be someone else's problem'

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#50]
When I did it walmart parking lots and state/County campgrounds were the best bet. I was working and trying to save, so they were cheap options that made it easier to do that. One of the Walmart with McDonald's had a girl that worked there that I got friendly with and she would hook me up with food sometimes and let me shower at her house.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top