User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:55:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, no shit.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:57:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Welcome to.... uh..... Operation Desert Storm? Somalia? 20 years ago?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:02:16 AM EDT
[#3]
What I read was, "our M4 battle rifle is now heavier."
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:03:50 AM EDT
[#4]
thank God, it's select fire. No more of this "weapons of war" bullshit, right?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:07:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Meh, I use the M249 anyways
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:11:10 AM EDT
[#6]
So somehow this "new" rifle will help soldiers more quickly identify targets?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:11:24 AM EDT
[#7]
If I had to grab one rifle, I'd leave the AR, SKS, M1A and AK in the rack and grab SVT-40. It's a tad heavy, but totally rocks both short and long range for accuracy, rate and knock-down. Light armor is toast. Blue helmets make excellent targets.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:17:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Can't be ARFCOM tells me a pencil barrel is what you need to operate if you have a heavy barrel you can't operate

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:17:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So somehow this "new" rifle will help soldiers more quickly identify targets?
View Quote

That's what happens when people that have no idea what they are talking about write articles.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:18:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can't be ARFCOM tells me a pencil barrel is what you need to operate if you have a heavy barrel you can't operate

View Quote

Heavy barrels suck on a semi-auto.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:22:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What I read was, "our M4 battle rifle is now heavier."
View Quote

If they're going to do heavier, they should just go all the way and get 901s.

It's like an M4, but with a whole lot more "fuck you" inside in exchange for +2 pounds.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:23:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I had to grab one rifle, I'd leave the AR, SKS, M1A and AK in the rack and grab SVT-40. It's a tad heavy, but totally rocks both short and long range for accuracy, rate and knock-down. Light armor is toast. Blue helmets make excellent targets.
View Quote

The phrase "knock down"... it's sort of the firearms world's version of Truck Nutz.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:41:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Totally rocks and has great rate of fire? yeah right.  Long clunky slow to load low capacity rifle. Hope you got extra extractors, because you're going to need them. SVTs were notorious for breaking-- which is why they went back to the nagant, and got rid of the SVT for the SKS.   SVT is a sub standard rifle, but a great historical piece.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:48:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Ha!  I upgraded my m-4 way before that.  Swapped out the three round burst for full auto.  Rarely used it on auto but I liked having it available.  Before I turned it back in I out the three round burst parts back in.  No harm no fowl
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:49:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Just now?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:55:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ha!  I upgraded my m-4 way before that.  Swapped out the three round burst for full auto.  Rarely used it on auto but I liked having it available.  Before I turned it back in I out the three round burst parts back in.  No harm no fowl
View Quote

Sure you did.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:56:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

What kind of fowl?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:59:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

You cannot be serious.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:00:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

First time I ever saw an M4A1 was 2006.

This is an article about the latest changes to it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:04:52 AM EDT
[#20]
All that to come up with an ambi selector & heavy bbl?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:19:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well I would hope you weren't going around shooting fowl with Uncle Sam's hardware.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:19:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sure you did.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure you did.

Yup ya caught me guess this means the groupies won't follow me
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:22:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had an M4A1 for the past 3 years...
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:23:57 AM EDT
[#24]
What gets me is that they won't consider changing calibers. It's like running your car in NASCAR with a 4 cylinder engine, they  change everything but the engine and things don't improve. Then they sit around and wonder why all the money they spent can't win them any races.

Step up to 6.8 for the love of pete, then they'll have some performance improvements.

"It costs too much to change calibers!"

For all the money they've spent on that stupid gun already, they could've changed calibers three times already and still not spent the money they've spent putting lipstick on a pig.

Just do it already...........that's it, I'm writing Trump a letter, fix this shit show.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:26:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Stopped at .556 cal.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:29:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Lotsa plastic. I'll stick with my pistol.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:43:51 AM EDT
[#27]
As opposed to the "non-lethal" M-4 that's been used by the Army
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:53:31 AM EDT
[#28]
That article was full of butt fuckery......
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:53:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What gets me is that they won't consider changing calibers. It's like running your car in NASCAR with a 4 cylinder engine, they  change everything but the engine and things don't improve. Then they sit around and wonder why all the money they spent can't win them any races.

Step up to 6.8 for the love of pete, then they'll have some performance improvements.

For all the money they've spent on that stupid gun already, they could've changed calibers three times already and still not spent the money they've spent putting lipstick on a pig.

Just do it already...........that's it, I'm writing Trump a letter, fix this shit show.
View Quote

Going away from 5.56 affects multiple platforms and dozens of countries. It's not exactly a decision to be taken lightly, nor is there any real reason to believe it necessary.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:57:28 AM EDT
[#30]

--meanwhile, in the 1980s!
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:39:55 AM EDT
[#31]
You would think that the Army could find at least one "gun guy" to put on a weapon PIP or acquisition board.

It's like your Toyota manual:  multibillion $ corporation, doesn't have/can't find at least one guy that actually speaks English?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:45:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does anyone else find it ironic that soldiers (allegedly) melted their barrels with excessive rates of fire when their rifles were equipped with 3-round burst FCGs...so the solution was to make them FA?

Also ironic is that the gov profile barrel lasts about 500 rounds under sustained FA fire while the SOCOM barrel almost last twice as long:  922 rounds IIRC.

So the heavier barrel isn't really a viable solution for excessive rates of fire.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 4:16:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Does anyone else find it ironic that soldiers (allegedly) melted their barrels with excessive rates of fire when their rifles were equipped with 3-round burst FCGs...so the solution was to make them FA?

Also ironic is that the gov profile barrel lasts about 500 rounds under sustained FA fire while the SOCOM barrel almost last twice as long:  922 rounds IIRC.

So the heavier barrel isn't really a viable solution for excessive rates of fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhh, the A1 has always been full auto, and this program essentially makes the thicker barrel (like the SOCOM one) mainstream.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 4:30:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

If given the choice between 6.8 and the new M855A1, I would chose M855A1.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Going away from 5.56 affects multiple platforms and dozens of countries. It's not exactly a decision to be taken lightly, nor is there any real reason to believe it necessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

A caliber change isn't necessary.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Uhhh, the A1 has always been full auto, and this program essentially makes the thicker barrel (like the SOCOM one) mainstream.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reason they went to the heavier barrel was because, reportedly, in a few firefights over here (Afghanistan) M4 (3-shot burst) barrels (gov profile) overheated and failed.

The "solution" (FA [even easier to overheat] and a heavier barrel [which only marginally improves barrel life under sustained fire) do not make sense.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Already being used at Infantry OSUT
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#38]
I never knew that a bullet's contour could make it more lethal.

And it's nice to see them finally adapting a flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:38:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's the worst rifle ever. Almost impossible to field strip especially in cold weather. It has too many small parts that are easy to lose in the field.

I hated mine so much that I had to get rid of it
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It's the worst rifle ever. Almost impossible to field strip especially in cold weather. It has too many small parts that are easy to lose in the field.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For another Garand?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone else wonder if the "under the hood" upgrades are somewhat along the lines of what Green Mountain Defense Industries detailed in their RPIK upgrade kit?  These were the guys that were mentioned in the Washington Times article alleging M4 failures under sustained rates of fire during battles overseas.  

Wayback Machine snapshot of their website detailing the RPIK upgrade kit:  

Green Mountain Defense DGI RPIK Kits

Their website is down, and I don't know if it's because they've gone under or they're too busy fulfilling overseas contracts.  They have a contract with the Italians according to their no-recent-updates FB page.

This FB video (link left cold) allegedly documents over 1,300 rounds of sustained full auto fire.  

https://www.facebook.com/gmdillc/videos/vb.367196160073608/10151622920600738/?type=2&theater

Not a fanboy but I am trying to ascertain if they're legit or not. So far, I'm unimpressed, but this may be due to teething problems with a somewhat new upstart company.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

For another Garand?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For another Garand?

I sold it for $300 and used the cash for a Garand operating rod
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For another Garand?

Garands be expensive, yo.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Why is this news?  The rifle was designed in the 1950s.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

855A1 has removed the need to change calibers for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The phrase "knock down"... it's sort of the firearms world's version of Truck Nutz.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol! KNOCKDOWN!!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmmm... And how exactly did you "swap" these parts?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You cannot be serious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You cannot be serious.

I think that's a comment on the title of the article?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

You're missing the point. The headline is a cryptic message to Americans; This is a weapon of war and anything that looks like it has no place in our society.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Did they change the feeding to account for the longer bullet in the new lead-free m855a1?

Hopefully not...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top