Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2016 12:51:44 AM EDT
If so I have some questions. I might be spending some time down there soon.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:58:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I have sailed down once and flown down once. First time was for REFTRA second was for the Haitian Vacation. It has been twenty plus years ago so my info is dated.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:02:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If so I have some questions. I might be spending some time down there soon.

View Quote

If you pretend to obey the guards, the Obama regime will cut you loose to be "supervised" in another country.

Make sure they give you a good prayer mat.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:03:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, he ordered the code red.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:06:44 AM EDT
[#4]
You want the truth?

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:08:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You want the truth?

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:08:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You want the truth?

View Quote

I can handle the truth.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:20:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I can handle the truth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You want the truth?

I can handle the truth.

Don't wear a faggoty white uniform.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:23:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You want the truth?

I can handle the truth.

Our uniforms are company logo t-shirts and shorts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:26:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been to commie Cuba.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:27:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Honestly I can't answer any questions though.  Was around 10yo I think.  My grandfather was a contractor for the Navy,I believe,  and was working at GITMO and was living In a single wide trailer at the time.  As a kiddo I remember how beautiful the coast was in their "back yard", watching the battleships coming and going as well as not walking outside with a loaf of bread unless you wanted to be assaulted by the iguanas
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:33:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Been there a half dozen/dozen times....But, things change fast there.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:36:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Whattdya want to know?  My perspective is from a ship going through REFTRA and getting beaten on, not one of the Fucking Tough Guys.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:39:00 AM EDT
[#13]
My predecessor took a detachment down there-
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:39:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Honestly I can't answer any questions though.  Was around 10yo I think.  My grandfather was a contractor for the Navy,I believe,  and was working at GITMO and was living In a single wide trailer at the time.  As a kiddo I remember how beautiful the coast was in their "back yard", watching the battleships coming and going as well as not walking outside with a loaf of bread unless you wanted to be assaulted by the iguanas
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:05:25 AM EDT
[#15]
On the fence line, 86-87.

I'm sure is far different now.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:10:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I've only been on the airport ramp and inside the terminal. There is a Subway and a gift shop inside.

It is hot and humid there.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:17:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Was there back in 58
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 4:56:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've only been on the airport ramp and inside the terminal. There is a Subway and a gift shop inside.

It is hot and humid there.
View Quote

Naw.  

It's FUCKING hot and FUCKING humid.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#19]
My Brother did a Tour there as a DOD employee, he and his family enjoyed it very much. It is a tight-knit Community.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I was there in 2005 for KBR, built the Alpha II barracks just outside the prison.  Our compound (converted conexcontainer cabins atop wooden deck platforms) was within sight of the perimeter walls/towers.

Hot, UV was brutal, sandy soil and cactus.  Reminded me of Arizona. Breeze of the ocean did little to help the heat.  Rodents of Unusual Size were everywhere.  Only Cubans I saw were at the Airport in Ft Lauderdale.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:09:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I was there for a year, though it has been 20 years.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Learn to dive before you go.  Lots of opportunities to dive there among other water sports.  Compared to other places in the world to deploy to, this is a pretty good spot.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:32:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I was stationed there for a while
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:36:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Ex-GF's niece was station as a guard down there watching the invitees. She came back all fucked up, claiming she felt bad for them, how horrible they had it.

I never got to talk to her about it as it was taboo to ask her about her time there. Her husband was all cool though, don't recall if he ever was stationed there. He went on to be an Iowa Trooper. Head on straight and all.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#25]
We pulled in for a day or two during one of our drug interdiction patrols.  I don't remember why, stores or fuel, who knows.

I remember an open air theater, like a drive-in and walking a ways and jumping off the cliffs.

This was 38 years ago, though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We pulled in for a day or two during one of our drug interdiction patrols.  I don't remember why, stores or fuel, who knows.

I remember an open air theater, like a drive-in and walking a ways and jumping off the cliffs.

This was 38 years ago, though.
View Quote

The lyceums are awesome, except for thriving banana rats will steal any food or drink on the ground longer than .87 seconds.

I liked it down there so much, I begged to extend another year.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#27]
So, the Garage People were actually an ISIS cell?  
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#28]
3 trips in the early 70's. REFTRA

Great place to scuba dive..

Bail out of the EM club early or get to ride in the cattle truck with a bunch of puking kids..

yup...hot & humid as hell
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Was there as a Grunt for a tour then went back a few times as an ordnance inspector, great duty station. Loved the beaches, weather.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#30]
We're going to be on the supply barge run for a little while. I just wanted to see if we will be able to get off the boat. It sounds like that won't be a problem.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We're going to be on the supply barge run for a little while. I just wanted to see if we will be able to get off the boat. It sounds like that won't be a problem.
View Quote

Chef disapproves....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top