Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2016 4:36:32 AM EDT
We have a substitute drummer coming in tonight to play with us, and the guitar player texted to us that he "called the guy and gave him directions to the gig"..

At first I was like cool, than after a couple of seconds was because I honestly don't remember the last time I gave anyone verbal directions.  I just give them the addy and assume that they will use GPS, or go "old school" and print/write directions from google maps or whatever they use.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:37:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I cannot remember the last time I gave anyone directions but it was probably years ago. Before smart phones and GPS.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:38:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Only people I KNOW do not have smartphones... Like 2 people I know these days.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:39:11 AM EDT
[#3]
When I am at work and people ask I usually draw them a map on a sticky note.  I am an accomplished map maker!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:40:31 AM EDT
[#4]
You still talk to people?  IM/SMS, dude.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:42:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I try to avoid it when possible....but sometimes human contact is simply unavoidable much to my dismay.  I call it "forced socialization"
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Directions? You mean those things that women use?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Do it all the time.   I live in an area of the US where there are tracks of land with no cell phone coverage and a phone based GPS will stop working.  My family is in a part of the state with no 911 service or 911 addresses.   Google maps don't work unless you send GPS coordinates for your house....and Google will send you down the wrong road because it doesn't know the bridge has been gone for 30 years on some road....or that the road on the map is technically a legal road but with no maintenance done on it for 10 years....no gravel, no ditches,  tree tops in the road, .......

But in major towns an address can be easier
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:56:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I do all the time. Dairy and feedlots almost never come up right on gps. Ive even had the gps claim that every private road to a center pivot was a public road and the best path to go.

If i feel lazy ill just do the address. Usually it will get them close enough they can barely see it, then they can wander over.

A lot of times the town and county is the problem. If a place is halfway between, they will have it listed as the wrong town so it will take take you to road a in county b instead of road a in county c. You will be exactly where you need to be, except 30 miles west.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Hopefully soon, smartphones will be able to correct users' grammar so that posts like the one above will be more decipherable.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:26:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I do both based on what is appropriate.  

Some people can't figure out how to use their GPS....
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:31:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I do to my house, but usually, they say "they can find it (via GPS)."
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Latitude and Longitude...

Aviator
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:03:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Google Maps. All you need.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:07:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I've known people who have Iphones and didn't know how to send me their location.
Others who would rather tell you how to get somewhere instead of giving an address.
It triggers me. My wife has been guilty on both counts.
(She's very not guilty on all others)
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:15:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've known people who have Iphones and didn't know how to send me their location.
Others who would rather tell you how to get somewhere instead of giving an address.
It triggers me. My wife has been guilty on both counts.
(She's very not guilty on all others)
View Quote

Proof?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Nope. I say "My address shows up on google maps."
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Giving directions is becoming a lost art.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:19:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I deal with a lot of truck drivers at work.  I verbally give directions.  They can write it down or not.  If they have GPS, I'll rip off the printed address they're going to from another manifest and hand it to them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:20:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't, and I've owned iPhones for 4 years now...

ETA:
Unless you're just talking about going to maps and reading off the road or intersection you're on.  Or are you talking about some other fancy feature?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I draw maps for people so they have no excuse for not showing up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll ask someone for an address and they start giving me directions! I just ignore what they're saying, wait for them to finish and ask for an address again.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#24]
i still draw maps for a few of my guys that go out in the field to work.  they dont do smart phones
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#25]

I was going to post of my experiences having conversations just like that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:11:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Ever try to give someone under thirty turn by turn directions?   They can't quit talking about their selves long enough to get even a vague idea of where they're heading. They want to argue about every detail.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I try to avoid it when possible....but sometimes human contact is simply unavoidable much to my dismay.  I call it "forced socialization"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus Christ. Is this DU or Arf? I don't want to talk to people waaaahhhhh
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We have a substitute drummer coming in tonight to play with us, and the guitar player texted to us that he "called the guy and gave him directions to the gig"..

At first I was like cool, than after a couple of seconds was because I honestly don't remember the last time I gave anyone verbal directions.  I just give them the addy and assume that they will use GPS, or go "old school" and print/write directions from google maps or whatever they use.
View Quote

I did recently, but it was lost on my sister in law.  Even giving the address didn't work.  Her response: "Please send me a pin?"
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes. Freshman with $500 cell phones still get lost easily.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#30]
I typically just give an address. What I hate is when someone is telling me how to get somewhere. I tell them just give me the address and I'll figure it out, and they insist on describing the entire route as if I'm going to remember it all.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't give them intentionally, every now and again somebody needs directions that doesn't have a smartphone. In that case I give the address and if they don't know where it is, I give street directions (go to highway 15, turn left on 33rd avenue then right on 5th street...).

I get quasi-retarded "landmark" directions from people all the time though...

Them: Turn left at the big tree by the red sign, drive about 3 minutes then take a right by the silo next to the bean field
Me: What's the address?
Them: Then you go about a 1/4 mile or so and turn left before to the old video store, it's Subway now, but it used to be...
Me: Stop! What's the address?
Them: The address? Well that's...
Me: <enter address into phone> OK, I'll see you in about 15 minutes

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes I still do. Did just 20 minutes ago in fact.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I read somewhere a while back that women tend to give landmark based directions while men give vector based directions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#35]
I give folks directions and a map to our range, since I have no idea what the "address" is.  There is one, technically, but no one really knows what it is.  Also, without directions, you would not know which gate is the club gate and which is the neighboring land owner access.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#36]

Much truth here.

The only time I want directions is if there is something really weird about getting to your location.
Also: If sending an address via text, just put it like you would on an envelope, don't interject commentary in amongst it.

If one texts "505 main st Anytown CA 920XX, I can just copy/paste that into a map app or my truck's GPS.

If one texts "505main, between oak and pine, Anytown (just south of othertown), it is a PITA to extract the relevant info and drop it in to GPS.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Never uness it's some weird area where I know google maps on a cell phone doesnt work well.

People are always trying to give me verbal directions, then I just tell them I only need the address.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a friend who doesn't have a smartphone, because he's a fucking Luddite moron.

I give him information the same way I do everyone else.

When he asked me last month how to get someplace I told him to follow Waze or Google navigation. He replied "I can't, I don't have a smart phone" and I countered with "Get one, moron."

I'm not going back to "old school" just because some imbecile refuses to keep up with the rest of us.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#39]
All the time. If I'm stopped on the sidewalk by someone asking where there's a good place to eat (out of towners) why would I tell them '123 High St' instead of 'walk two blocks this way, take a left, then one more block. It will be on the right side"

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm in DC.  Asian tourists, man, I'll tell you what.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Google Maps. All you need.
View Quote

Not always.
I'm building a home right now and the street is not listed.
Another road you need to take to get there also shows it going straight thru and connecting between 2 other roads and it doesn't.
It's a total clusterfuck on google maps, mapquest etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top