Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2016 4:15:07 AM EDT
Husband beheaded, wife stabbed to death over a debt of 22 cents worth of biscuits.

Lop off their heads or whatever
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:18:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Well that's not very Christian of them...
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:20:41 AM EDT
[#2]
In before someone calls you out for using the decimal and the word cents in your title.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:26:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before someone calls you out for using the decimal and the word cents in your title.
View Quote

I should be hacked up with an axe, I admit it.

I never have stiffed a guy for a couple of dimes though.

Has to be a hard life when 15 rupees matters that much.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:33:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a pretty harsh sentence, I am sure the culprits will face justice
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:41:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I always use India as an argument of why Islam isn't necessarily the problem, it's the general shitty culture from a whole shitty region(s).
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:41:52 AM EDT
[#6]
If that headline were "Indiana couple hacked to death for a .22 cent debt for biscuits." I might care.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I suspect that the OBAMA (never let a good tragedy go to waste) administration will be granting more Indian immigration as a result. Hummm....as if the H1B visa program wasn't enough already?

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I suspect that the OBAMA (never let a good tragedy go to waste) administration will be granting more Indian immigration as a result. Hummm....as if the H1B visa program wasn't enough already?

Aloha, Mark

View Quote

Because the people who come here from India on visas are the same kind of people mentioned in the article.    
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Well that's not very Christian of them...
View Quote
More Hindu caste issues

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Wasn't it not too long ago that it wasn't even illegal to kill an untouchable?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I always use India as an argument of why Islam isn't necessarily the problem, it's the general shitty culture from a whole shitty region(s).
View Quote

India has been under Islamic rule, in the past.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#12]
India, further proof that all the technology in the world cant drag a culture out of the stone age.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#13]
as a former british colony, I just want to point out that in india, biscuits are what we would call cookies. so someone lost their life over some cookies. we had a member of our offshore team come to the states for a month, he told me when the british left, everything good about india left with them. there are 29 states in india, & the territories were formed based on the language spoken there. so that's 29 separate languages & no common tongue uniting the country. he also told me their court system is absolutely broken & without bribes, you will probably die before your case goes to trial.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Must have been some good biscuits.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#15]
At first I thought the title read .22 lr, then it was more understandable.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Were any cows hurt?  We must know this!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wasn't it not too long ago that it wasn't even illegal to kill an untouchable?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
as a former british colony, I just want to point out that in india, biscuits are what we would call cookies. so someone lost their life over some cookies. we had a member of our offshore team come to the states for a month, he told me when the british left, everything good about india left with them. there are 29 states in india, & the territories were formed based on the language spoken there. so that's 29 separate languages & no common tongue uniting the country. he also told me their court system is absolutely broken & without bribes, you will probably die before your case goes to trial.
View Quote

I had the opportunity to go to Jodhpur for work and found 50 different reasons not to go. My manager finally dropped it and I did the work remotely. You couldn't pay me enough to travel to India, Pakistan or Bangladesh.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#19]
22 cents isn't much to you and me.  

Seems to be a lot to them.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#20]
it's not the money, it's the principle
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#21]

How ridiculous! You would never see an entire family, except for the kids, murdered over something stupid in a civilized country!!!

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Gladly pay you Tuesday for a biscuit today.
Thwack!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#23]
The perps and victims in this case are Hindu, not Muslim. Muslims and Sikhs in India do not have a caste system.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Pretty big difference there. Couple packets of biscuits worth pennies vs. likely ongoing drug dealing dispute.

They also never figured that case out, so you don't really know who did it or why, right? How do you know it wasn't an Indian man?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Because the people who come here from India on visas are the same kind of people mentioned in the article.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aloha, Mark

I believe they are mostly upper-caste like the killer, not lower-caste like the victims.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The perps and victims in this case are Hindu, not Muslim. Muslims and Sikhs in India do not have a caste system.
View Quote

Except Muslims do.

Sikhs actually do too, but all the castes are considered equal.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was not about the money, per se, but about the Dalit (untouchables) not immediately paying the higher-caste shop owner or sufficiently abasing themselves when confronted.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you explain Saudi Arabia?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#30]
My parents are from India and I was born here. I've been there 4 times. I don't remember the first two trips, but when I went the last two times I hated it.  We didn't do anything touristy though, just stayed in the local village for a family wedding.  

Being there for 3-4 weeks each time really gave me a greater appreciation for our awesome country.  I can't thank my parents enough for making the move over here.  It really bums me out to see how divided our country is until something horrible happens.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:28:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I believe they are mostly upper-caste like the killer, not lower-caste like the victims.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aloha, Mark

I can almost guarantee you that the people that come to the US are of a higher caste than the store owner.  Being of a higher caste than a dalit isn't exactly an accomplishment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caste_system_in_India
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#32]
They died over .0022 dollars?

Wow.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I can almost guarantee you that the people that come to the US are of a higher caste than the store owner.  Being of a higher caste than a dalit isn't exactly an accomplishment.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aloha, Mark

My mother was a dalit that made it over here from India.  She's pretty damn wealthy now.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I guess the price has been set on a Dalits life; 11 cents.

Seems harsh.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:37:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The grocer was arrested. He committed a crime against society.

Even though the victims were Dalits, they are getting the benefits of the legal system (posthumously, in this case) just as someone in the higher castes would.

Your commentary on "culture" in India with *this* as the evidence could just as easily be about Los Angeles with any number of murders committed over something as trivial as a "disrespect."

Calling the crime and the criminal a savage is appropriate. Projecting that savagery on the totality of the populace or suggesting it's a "normal" facet of Indian culture is as dishonest as it is incorrect.

Imdian culture has a shit load of issues compared to most Western ideals. The regular slaughter of debtors isn't really among them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:22:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Even though the victims were Dalits, they are getting the benefits of the legal system (posthumously, in this case) just as someone in the higher castes would.

Your commentary on "culture" in India with *this* as the evidence could just as easily be about Los Angeles with any number of murders committed over something as trivial as a "disrespect."

Calling the crime and the criminal a savage is appropriate. Projecting that savagery on the totality of the populace or suggesting it's a "normal" facet of Indian culture is as dishonest as it is incorrect.

Imdian culture has a shit load of issues compared to most Western ideals. The regular slaughter of debtors isn't really among them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is also vast, about 4 times as large as the US population wise. There are many different sub cultures and belief systems in the many regions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top