Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

One restriction I've seen more than once now is not being allowed to fence the backyard, I need a fence for my dogs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's why I left, unfortunately almost every single area here in this part of the state is loaded with HOAs.

bullshit aside, what exactly do you want to do that your HOA won't let you?

One restriction I've seen more than once now is not being allowed to fence the backyard, I need a fence for my dogs.

There's one neighborhood around here where you can't leave your own vehicle parked in your own driveway. God forbid a guy have a garage full of woodworking tools with no room to park a vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Funny, there were no HOAs anywhere I lived in NY. I don't know a single person back in NY that lives in one either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This area has been flooded with new yorkers in the last few years. Sit at a busy intersection anywhere in south gwinnett and you can easily spot 2 or 3 NY plates while waiting for the redlight.
They are bringing their bullshit with them.

Funny, there were no HOAs anywhere I lived in NY. I don't know a single person back in NY that lives in one either.

None anywhere near me or anywhere else on Long Island that I know of.

First place I ever saw a HOA was in the Kansas City, MO area. I remember thinking that I had never heard of such a stupid thing before in my life.

Funny how people that have most likely never set foot in NY are such experts on what life is like up here.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:44:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

HOA? He made his bed, now he has to sleep in it.
View Quote

Try reading. It works wonders.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Was hoping for something more like this:

So much disappoint.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

doesn't the siding accomplish that for a small building like this? Maybe he has diagonal cable bracing in the walls?

The far deck is built around a tree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a structural engineer

every deck I see makes me want to kick someone in the face

if you're going to build a deck or a house on stilts, you need some sway bracing

those stilts can parallelogram sideways unless some diagonal bracing is put in

http://bscstudent.buffalostate.edu/kajfkr79/web/Masters_Project/parallelogram.jpg
so you put in diagonal members to keep the framing square

y-braces are shown, you can use x-braces or k-braces also

https://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f23/27807d1238717589-deck-lateral-supports-bracing-requirements.jpg
doesn't the siding accomplish that for a small building like this? Maybe he has diagonal cable bracing in the walls?

Yes but you will typically see sway bracing as well if there is only siding such as on a pole barn.  On a house the sheeting will accomplish it.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:49:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't think HOAs are very prominent in the northern states, at least not in the established suburbs of major metropolitan areas. Back in Michigan, I only first heard of an HOA in the late 90s, and that was in a brand new subdivision several suburbs away from Detroit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This area has been flooded with new yorkers in the last few years. Sit at a busy intersection anywhere in south gwinnett and you can easily spot 2 or 3 NY plates while waiting for the redlight.

HOAs are almost unheard of in NY.

I don't think HOAs are very prominent in the northern states, at least not in the established suburbs of major metropolitan areas. Back in Michigan, I only first heard of an HOA in the late 90s, and that was in a brand new subdivision several suburbs away from Detroit.

Only time I ever heard of a HOA in NY was from a family member who moved to Illinois, his restricted people from parking pickup trucks in driveways.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.. Was he paying dues? If so why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well if there was no HOA in place when he built he should have never paid any dues.

This.. Was he paying dues? If so why?

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

One restriction I've seen more than once now is not being allowed to fence the backyard, I need a fence for my two dogs. Someone above also mentioned not being allowed to park in your driveway, I've seen that around here too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's why I left, unfortunately almost every single area here in this part of the state is loaded with HOAs.

One restriction I've seen more than once now is not being allowed to fence the backyard, I need a fence for my two dogs. Someone above also mentioned not being allowed to park in your driveway, I've seen that around here too.

One I am aware of in a St. Louis suburb will only allow you to paint your home in a small pre-approved range of "historical" colors.

Now, I don't need to be across the street from a place that's painted Pepto Bismal pink, but something other than the same half dozen shades of yellow, white or cream might be nice.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#9]
HOA's get shit on all the time in GD, mostly by people who don't live in one. Some are horrible, I realize that. But the average HOA exists so some asshat doesn't paint his house pink next door or have cars sitting on cinder blocks. This kind of shit tanks home values.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Was hoping for something more like this:

So much disappoint.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/53cfd4f476404f359f969d50f9746e52/tumblr_mztxvwprQx1sl0jiwo1_1280.jpg
View Quote

Or at least this:

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Living in NY, HOA's are relatively rare. BUT... most areas have pretty extensive local codes for things like non-running vehicles (not running your own unlicensed junkyard). Trash, tires etc...Strict building codes for safety etc.

When I lived down south, its one huge sh*t sandwich in most areas, you really can tell where there are HOA's and where there aren't. "hey look...theres a junkyard in the middle of a nice development...Nope, that's just my neighbor"...ie:no HOA

The whole trailer park scenario with the cars up on blocks and collapsed porches on the dogs...grass that's three feet high etc...didn't start from Northerner's.

Having said that...I would still rather live down south, I would just buy enough property that neighbors wouldn't be a concern. And personally, I could care less what you do with your property as long as it doesn't affect my homes value in a negative way.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Plenty of very expensive, very well built houses in my county. No such thing as a building permit either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this is why we need building permits

because people are idiots and cheapskates and they also know literally nothing at all and don't care

a five year old could do the same job building a barn or deck as the average homeowner

seriously, if you read a 10 page pamphlet on deck building you could do a competent job

but you won't, because that's 20 minutes you'll never get back

plus it'll cost an extra $250

you might ask why we have to bring the government into it

well, what other solution is there?  I'm all ears

people don't have x-ray vision and they'll buy your retarded death trap from you without realizing it's a piece of shit

and firemen will have to enter the piece of shit when it starts on fire, and it will collapse on their head

since the public is incapable of building anything without turning out a piece of junk, I guess the only solution is to nanny them

Plenty of very expensive, very well built houses in my county. No such thing as a building permit either.

and there is lots of worthless shit being built too

people don't know what they're doing

and

people are cheapskates

except of course in your county where everyone is a building expert and not cheap and the contractors are painfully honest

and the unicorns run free
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
thats a nice treehouse
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Only time I ever heard of a HOA in NY was from a family member who moved to Illinois, his restricted people from parking pickup trucks in driveways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#pickuptrucklivesmatter
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

He should plant some corn
View Quote

*snort*

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Hahahahaha!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

and there is lots of worthless shit being built too

people don't know what they're doing

and

people are cheapskates

except of course in your county where everyone is a building expert and not cheap and the contractors are painfully honest

and the unicorns run free
View Quote

Ill be sure to keep an eye out for houses collapsing and killing my neighbors. If they only knew the government wasn't there to save them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oh, look, cyborg praising big government.

He's neva dun that before.

Government should take your guns to save you from yourself too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt an HOA could compete against a government that restrictive.

start a big collection of rusty bicycles in your front yard?

stack spare tires on your balcony?

this whole HOA problem seems real easy to avoid

nobody can stand the idea of voluntarily buying a house in an HOA neighborhood.  apparently someone kidnapped them and made them buy the house by putting a gun to their head

but two threads down, everyone is screeching about how pot should be illegal because someone else wants to smoke it

lots of passion, not too much consistency

Oh, look, cyborg praising big government.

He's neva dun that before.

Government should take your guns to save you from yourself too.

I hate big government and everything I write here on this website is a tribute to my hatred of big government

I've never voted for a democrat in my entire life, not one time ever

please go ahead and link all the threads where I praised big government

waiting...

Unlike you, I do have a masters degree in engineering and I have spent the last 30 years in construction

and I see dog-shit grade residential construction wherever I go

People don't know jack shit about construction, especially wood framing and foundations

and they are cheap as fuck

Thanks for adding the usual retarded straw man and adhominem to the thread, you dunce

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Illegal HOA?

All HOAs should be illegal.
View Quote

It's HOA sharia jihad. NY values imperializing the south. Submit or be vanquished. By fines.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's HOA sharia jihad. NY values imperializing the south. Submit or be vanquished. By fines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Illegal HOA?

I'd still like to know where all these HOAs supposedly are in NY. I never saw one in over 40 years there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'd still like to know where all these HOAs supposedly are in NY. I never saw one in over 40 years there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Illegal HOA?

Do you see jihad in sharia lands? well there ya go....
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Raise some hogs..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He should plant some corn

Raise some hogs..

hogs need to be fed
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Obviously, it's your funeral. If government didn't give its blessing, how else would anyone be able to build a proper home?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

because people are idiots and cheapskates and they also know literally nothing at all and don't care

a five year old could do the same job building a barn or deck as the average homeowner

seriously, if you read a 10 page pamphlet on deck building you could do a competent job

people don't have x-ray vision and they'll buy your retarded death trap from you without realizing it's a piece of shit

and firemen will have to enter the piece of shit when it starts on fire, and it will collapse on their head

since the public is incapable of building anything without turning out a piece of junk, I guess the only solution is to nanny them

Obviously, it's your funeral. If government didn't give its blessing, how else would anyone be able to build a proper home?

you don't know what you're talking about and you're making a strawman argument

I didn't say that people cannot build a house properly

I didn't say that people never do build a house properly

I said that people often do not build houses, decks and barns properly because they don't know what they are doing and they are cheap

would you like me to back up that claim about 1000 examples?

The tree house in this thread is fucked up, it's standing on columns with no bracing.  If you proof loaded that piece of shit and pushed sideways it would fall right down.

this website is 100% exactly like the DU website

all you want is your own opinion repeated back to you

when you disagree, your response is a strawman and ad-hominem

and you really think that's an actual argument, you're proud of it

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

if you're going to build a deck or a house on stilts, you need some sway bracing

http://bscstudent.buffalostate.edu/kajfkr79/web/Masters_Project/parallelogram.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f23/27807d1238717589-deck-lateral-supports-bracing-requirements.jpg

View Quote

Does the person who drafted those two examples not know what the words parallel and perpendicular mean, or am I not understanding something?  
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Illegal HOA?

I spend time in NY and NYC every year to visit family and as far as I concerned the whole state is a HOA...
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I hate big government and everything I write here on this website is a tribute to my hatred of big government

I've never voted for a democrat in my entire life, not one time ever

please go ahead and link all the threads where I praised big government

waiting...

Unlike you, I do have a masters degree in engineering and I have spent the last 30 years in construction

and I see dog-shit grade residential construction wherever I go

People don't know jack shit about construction, especially wood framing and foundations

and they are cheap as fuck

Thanks for adding the usual retarded straw man and adhominem to the thread, you dunce

View Quote

You think that is isolated to just your field? I work in IT. Its all a shit show done on the cheap. That is why folks like us get paid what we do.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

I would love to find whomever built the front deck on my house and beat them with a rubber hose.  No ledger board, the joist hangers are on top of the styrofoam insulation that is under the siding
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes but you will typically see sway bracing as well if there is only siding such as on a pole barn.  On a house the sheeting will accomplish it.

<a href="http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/pavelow164781/media/93449385-9A3B-4B01-806C-E061C76BA5FF_zpsrbhmmcah.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a531/pavelow164781/93449385-9A3B-4B01-806C-E061C76BA5FF_zpsrbhmmcah.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/pavelow164781/media/93449385-9A3B-4B01-806C-E061C76BA5FF_zpsrbhmmcah.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a531/pavelow164781/93449385-9A3B-4B01-806C-E061C76BA5FF_zpsrbhmmcah.jpg</a>

the columns don't go up into the little house, there's a hinge at the top of the column

so the lateral stability of the thing is based on the overturning resistance of the footers

so he's got topsoil mud keeping that structure from racking

well, to be fair you'd pick up a little resistance from the moment capacity of the connection of that horizontal bracing

typical dogshit, lots of lumber and nails, no knowledge of basic wood framing that they already knew in AD 1200
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nope, sorry

everyone from NY is communist with nipple rings, in the middle of sex reassignment surgery

don't you read this forum ever?

lots of naughlidge
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
HOA's get shit on all the time in GD, mostly by people who don't live in one. Some are horrible, I realize that. But the average HOA exists so some asshat doesn't paint his house pink next door or have cars sitting on cinder blocks. This kind of shit tanks home values.
View Quote

Seriously, what color your neighbor paints their house is none of your business.  Unless they are actually doing something to your house or property you should have no say in it.  Property values is a bullshit excuse to force other people to like only things that you like...
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because your nanny state and local governments there fill the roll so well. People move from those areas down here and can't get it done by goverment so they create their own little fiefdoms of HOA's to fill the need they have for control.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#32]
A couple of things, Grandpa has some money, I was expecting trees supporting the treehouse and the HOA didn't exist when he bought the property so they can fuck off.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

the columns don't go up into the little house, there's a hinge at the top of the column

so the lateral stability of the thing is based on the overturning resistance of the footers

so he's got topsoil mud keeping that structure from racking

well, to be fair you'd pick up a little resistance from the moment capacity of the connection of that horizontal bracing

typical dogshit, lots of lumber and nails, no knowledge of basic wood framing that they already knew in AD 1200
View Quote

Nice edit  Im assuming to structure was nailed together so that doesn't amount to jack shit.  I'm curious how much lift that thing could see.  I doubt it is sufficiently held to the frame as well.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#34]
if there's no HOA he's in the right

If there is a HOA, he can move if he doesn't like HOA rules or join a HOA meeting and go through the process of amending the rules

This is like idiots who move next to a gun range that's been around for years and years then bitch about the noise.  Fuck 'em
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Because your nanny state and local governments there fill the roll so well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yawn, the local govt. there didn't tell me when I can park in my own driveway or how big my dog can be.

Quoted:
People move from those areas down here and can't get it done by goverment so they create their own little fiefdoms of HOA's to fill the need they have for control.

Yep, every HOA in the south is run by evil yankees.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#36]
If there was no HOA in place when he bought the place, then there is no HOA.  I wonder if he was paying dues all this time.  If so, the issue might be a bit muddy.  I also wonder if the treehouse violates any deed restrictions.  HOA or not, if it does violate the deed restrictions, he'll be sued and probably lose.

My neighborhood has a quasi HOA, but I've told many of my neighbors that it was not in place when I bought my house and I signed no HOA documents at closing and it therefore no longer exists.  I suppose it is voluntary at this point.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Alabama passed a law requiring HOAs to register in a searchable database accessible to RE Brokers, the public, etc.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I looked at a house last month and was about to put in an offer until I read the HOA rules and deep restrictions. It was in the country, all the lots around 2-4 acres.

No fences aside from "back yards" but since the lots were odd sized the HOA board had to review fencing applications and tell you what qualified as "back yard".

Any vegetable gardens had to be behind solid fences in the "back yard". Same for firewood.

No painting outside certain approved colors unless the HOA allows.

No cutting trees at all unless the HOA approves- with applications having to be made including pictures of every tree you want to cut along with justification.

No building of any shed, addition, garage or deck unless the HOA approves the plans.

No doing auto maintenance of any kind, including washing, in the front yard or driveway that is visible from the road.

No solar panels, satellite dishes or antennas of any kind allowed.

No more than 2 pets of any kind, including birds, doesn't matter if they are indoor pets or not.

No parking of any kind of work vehicle of any kind, including a regular car with any work related markings, where visible from the road.

No parking of trailers, RV's, boats, or similar where it can be seen in any way from outside the property.

No leaving any grill out where they can be seen from off the property unless in use.

No exterior lighting that is not shaded and directed down only, no bulb or lens from a light can be directly visible from off the lot.

HOA reserves right to inspect property as often as they wish with 24 hours notice.

HOA reserves right to add new rules as voted on by the membership, so any new rule could be added as wished. But most of what I wrote above was written in the deep as a restriction so can't be voted away.

Oh, and every parcel in the development qualifies for 1 vote for the HOA, and proxy votes are allowed. 28 lots in the development, one person (original developer from 20 years ago) owns 7 and another owns 3 lots with his kids owning 5 more with his kids giving him proxy vote power. And the guy who owns 7 lots has had proxy vote power for 5 property owners who have places there as vacation homes. Since you never have full membership showing up 7 lot guy with 12 votes total pretty much has the power to vote in whatever he wants, and of course he is president of the HOA. So essentially the one dude has the power to set any rules he wants., and worst case for him his buddy (HOA treasurer) with the other big vote block seal the deal.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:59:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yawn, the local govt. there didn't tell me when I can park in my own driveway or how big my dog can be.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
People move from those areas down here and can't get it done by goverment so they create their own little fiefdoms of HOA's to fill the need they have for control.

Most of the ones in my part of NC are run by and cater to what we call "halfbacks".

They flee NY or NJ to Florida, realize holy shit its hot down here, and make it halfway back north to the mountains of NC.

And yes, that is pretty much how it breaks down here. Either NE refugees or transplanted Floridians.

We have been having issues in my county now with people bitching because a new indoor range is being built because suddenly outdoor ranges are somehow an issue even though the guy says he has no plans for an outdoor range only indoor. Every quote for new laws regulating it in the papers is either a NY/NJ transplant or Florida transplant or a hybrid of the two. Whining that the zoning where they came from wouldn't allow it and why don't we have that here.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I looked at a house last month and was about to put in an offer until I read the HOA rules and deep restrictions. It was in the country, all the lots around 2-4 acres.

No fences aside from "back yards" but since the lots were odd sized the HOA board had to review fencing applications and tell you what qualified as "back yard".

Any vegetable gardens had to be behind solid fences in the "back yard". Same for firewood.

No painting outside certain approved colors unless the HOA allows.

No cutting trees at all unless the HOA approves- with applications having to be made including pictures of every tree you want to cut along with justification.

No building of any shed, addition, garage or deck unless the HOA approves the plans.

No doing auto maintenance of any kind, including washing, in the front yard or driveway that is visible from the road.

No solar panels, satellite dishes or antennas of any kind allowed.

No more than 2 pets of any kind, including birds, doesn't matter if they are indoor pets or not.

No parking of any kind of work vehicle of any kind, including a regular car with any work related markings, where visible from the road.

No parking of trailers, RV's, boats, or similar where it can be seen in any way from outside the property.

No leaving any grill out where they can be seen from off the property unless in use.

No exterior lighting that is not shaded and directed down only, no bulb or lens from a light can be directly visible from off the lot.

HOA reserves right to inspect property as often as they wish with 24 hours notice.
View Quote

Many of those are what I've been seeing while looking at homes here. Our friends in a nearby county get their yard inspected by their HOA every month. The "No pickup trucks allowed to be parked in driveways" rule that I've encountered with a few is a no go for me, my truck doesn't fit in the garages the houses have and it's not even a big truck.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Seriously, what color your neighbor paints their house is none of your business.  Unless they are actually doing something to your house or property you should have no say in it.  Property values is a bullshit excuse to force other people to like only things that you like...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then they can go live somewhere else and do whatever they want with their property. There's millions of acres to live without HOA restrictions. I choose to live in a neighborhood that maintains itself to a nice standard and that's how I like it. Nobody is being forced to live in an HOA Before I bought my house I diligently researched the rules and regs of my HOA and asked neighbors how they felt about it. Turns out mine is fairly well ran without super restrictive rules, is affordable, and offers several benefits (the biggest is a great deal on lawn care and maintenance.)
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#42]
ah never mind
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Nice deer stand.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Well, they're not a real HOA and that's not a real tree house.

Case dismissed.

Though I bet the .gov will have some "do you have all the permits..." questions for him. That's a pretty substantial structure to build without getting dad's, er, I mean, the city's permission..
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Though I bet the .gov will have some "do you have all the permits..." questions for him.
View Quote

This.
ETA: Supposedly the county gave him a permit for the build.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
Wait, so they're not all making it to Florida?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
He should start a class action lawsuit to recover HOA dues for all the years they were charging them without actually being a legit HOA.
View Quote

All of you guys saying that he shouldn't have paid HOA dues... can you point to where in the news report it says that he has paid even one HOA payment?

I'm missing it.

I agree with Freefall, this guy is fine, he should finish his treehouse and just stick the "fine" notices in an envelope to take to his lawyer for when the faux HOA loses in court.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#50]
I don't live far from there. If he never signed the restrictive covenants, good luck enforcing them in court. I guess it depends on who wants to spend the most on lawyers. HOA's best move would be to get Gwinnett's or Snellville's code enforcement involved. His would be to make sure it is permitted if required. Snellville was a nice place 30 years ago. Hell, Gwinnett was too.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top