Quoted:

It is.
But it's not as tough.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like my 686. I'd be surprised if a python was that much better as this revolver is a dream to shoot.

It is.
But it's not as tough.

Though?   Then I would go for a Colt King Cobra.   The 686 is a good general purpose gun.  

Quoted:
I love my 686s and they are workhorses and a fantastic value, but my Python is......something else.

I would have to agree.

Quoted:
Early Dan Weston's are nice. But seriously there is no substitute for the Python series.

I would agree to that also.

Here are some of mine, in one of my safes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:03:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Like clockwork.

"GD I want to get a watch for under $300"

"Rolex, maybe a pre-owned omega if you want to save a couple bucks"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Now I want a one of my own but they're out of my price range at the moment!

Quoted:
Korth has a terrific trigger pull too, but they accomplish it via a roller bearing.

Like clockwork.

"GD I want to get a watch for under $300"

"Rolex, maybe a pre-owned omega if you want to save a couple bucks"

Change the Python for a Nighthawk and you'd see the opposite. Three pages of other 1911 options and five alone with the trolls telling him doesn't need a 1911 and he should just get duh glock mouth breathing 19. Hell another two more pages of people being angry at his decision to even want a 1911.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:06:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

FIFY. Because it's got 33.333333% more beautiful Python barrel to admire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Six Eight inch Python is best Python.

I shot one that my cousin had.  Then he sold it to make a down payment on a pickup (when Pythons were still in production).

Years ago, I was looking at six inch .22 Diamondbacks at a gun show.  Only $350, but money was just too tight at that point.  Next time I thought to look for them at a gun show, the prices were ridiculous.

FIFY. Because it's got 33.333333% more beautiful Python barrel to admire.

Balance just feels off, with the longer barrel.

Quoted:
$350 for a 6" 22 LR Diamondback?  Man, I'd be all over it.

The collectors had apparently not driven the prices up too much, at that point.  As I recall, three different tables had them, all at about the same price.

Made the $850 to $1200 pricetags I saw, the next time I was looking for them, a bit of a shock.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:07:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'll look into the Trooper and Diamondback, plus the 686 and other S&Ws.

Somehow I doubt I'll stop with just one. I still have time!
View Quote

You can get a very nice trigger job on a 686, but it will never be a Python.

If you get a 686, try to find an old one with the hard chrome trigger. They're smoother than the case hardened guns. A good gunsmith can slick them up very well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:09:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wasn't the Mountain Gun as close as you could get to the Performance Center/TSW without the engravings?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have an old, beat to hell .44 smith mountain gun that has about the smoothest DA and SA trigger I have ever felt.  I swear you can feel every component moving into place but it doesn't interfere with the with pull at all.  You can stage it easily (even for a .44).  SA breaks like the proverbial glass rod we have all read about.

Wasn't the Mountain Gun as close as you could get to the Performance Center/TSW without the engravings?

I have no idea.  It sure feels like something special without looking like it...  I bought it from a cop in Montana.  It has a chip in the frame that he claimed is from a tumble when a mountain lion made his horse rear and he got tossed off.  GSB but for $300 I was happy.  Also has nearly all the markings rubbed off from holster wear.

When shooting it it feels like the nearest thing I can imagine to shooting a Swiss watch.  As an analogy.  Never felt anything like it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:51:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It is.

But it's not as tough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like my 686. I'd be surprised if a python was that much better as this revolver is a dream to shoot.

It is.

But it's not as tough.

lets see you break it
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:24:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Python for the win.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:50:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I was never been into revolvers, just didn't see the appeal.

A friend let me shoot his Colt Python with a 3 inch barrel. I cannot even describe how much I loved it.

Now I want a one of my own but they're out of my price range at the moment!

Is there any similar .357 at a more reasonable price or should I just save my money for a Python?
View Quote
Model 66 Pre lock with 3 inch barrel.  4 inch and 2 inch are more common. I got one that looked NIB and looked like they finally decided to shoot a box of ammo in it before they sold it.  The early smiths have a much better fitting and finish and trigger pull. I tried them side by side
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:01:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Older Smiths are pretty nice, pulled the trigger one or two. Like someone else said, I doubt a Python is THAT much better. And they're a hell of a lot more available.

Also, have you ever shot any SA semi-auto pistols?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:09:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What first made you aware, made you want a Python?

For me it Starsky & Hutch.  That sweet stainless 6" that Hutch carried in a shoulder rig.
View Quote

For me it was Magnum Force.  Never owned a Python, closest I ever came was a couple of late '70s Trooper MKIIIs.  Now a Python is waaaaaaay out of my price range.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Colt Officer models match or target revolvers are excellent shooters and much MUCH cheaper then Pythons. I have then in .38 spl and .22 and the triggers are as good as or better then most Pythons I have handled. The trigger/hammer/cylinder interaction is phenominal, absolutely no play and just pulling the trigger and feeling how everything works together is a tactile joy.

Here is the .38.

[/img]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am a 686 guy myself .
Revolvers are all about the trigger. The Colt trigger and the S&W have different geometry and someone used to one will have issues with the other.

My favorite 686 was bought new and I took it apart and polished everything that looked like it was rubbing or dragging . Didn't really mess with the actual sear surfaces . I then put in a spring kit and I have been shooting it with a smile on my face for many years.

The L-frame 686 is great but the slightly smaller K-frame has some advantages in geometry and size/weight . I have handled several that were really , really nice.

The Colt guys get very excited about their thing but the whole price thing is crazy
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Though?   Then I would go for a Colt King Cobra.   The 686 is a good general purpose gun.  

I would have to agree.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7283/27529828623_18125015c7_c.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is.
But it's not as tough.

Quoted:
I love my 686s and they are workhorses and a fantastic value, but my Python is......something else.

I would have to agree.

Quoted:
Early Dan Weston's are nice. But seriously there is no substitute for the Python series.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7283/27529828623_18125015c7_c.jpg

What mounting system is that?  I need something similar ...
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Rick Grimes from the Walking Dead made me want a Python ... I had never cared for a revolver before that.

I bought a 6" 686P and I really like it.  I have never fired a Python or even seen one in person, but I'd love to get my hands on one, just not for that ridiculous price.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I have never fired a python, but I inherited a colt 357 (pre-python). It is a dream to shoot compared to my 686.

The colt 357 should be quite a bit cheaper than a python.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:56:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You'll be able to launch .357 bullets very well with a S&W 586 or 686.
View Quote

This..........a S&W .357 L frame is fine.

I would suggest you get the reduced power Wolff rebound and mainsprings.........makes things even a bit smoother IMHO.

S&W makes fine revolvers IMHO and I have me some Pythons.

I also have heard Dan Wesson revolvers are being made again by CZ.........haven't fired one but the old ones were very nice also IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have never fired a python, but I inherited a colt 357 (pre-python). It is a dream to shoot compared to my 686.

The colt 357 should be quite a bit cheaper than a python.
View Quote

That's a good point also.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:58:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought my brother a mint Royal Blue 6" Python as a gift for his homecoming from Fallujah. It's amazing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Older Smiths are pretty nice, pulled the trigger one or two. Like someone else said, I doubt a Python is THAT much better. And they're a hell of a lot more available.

Also, have you ever shot any SA semi-auto pistols?
View Quote

Older Smiths had a different sear that was like an inverted (and bent) teardrop. This meant it had a long transition between the trigger and the sear, which makes for a more gradual and even compression of the hammer spring.  There were no "spikes" in pressure and this was a contributing factor for the smoother trigger pull like that of the Python.

Look at a Python sear and you'll see a similar shape.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:04:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought my brother a mint Royal Blue 6" Python as a gift for his homecoming from Fallujah. It's amazing.
View Quote

WOW!!

Another good one is the more modern Colt Trooper MKIII.

Very robust revolver but not as smooth an action as the Python.  Much cheaper though.

But with a reduced power trigger and hammer spring it also has a pretty smooth action IMHO.

Here's a good site for Colt descriptions.

Link

Wolf Colt MKIII springs, etc.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Know how I know you've never shot a Python?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've owned three and I likely put something like 100K rounds through one of them. There is no way in hell you can get a Python trigger as good as a well tuned S&W trigger. Back when everyone was using wheelguns to shoot Bianchi Cup matches why do you think all the top shooters and 99.9% of everyone else were using guns built on K frames?

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like my 686 better.  The Colt trigger feels "sproingy" to me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of people do not like the V action trigger stacking feel of the Python as much as the S&W action.

I like the V action feel better but this IS TOTALLY personal preference.

There is no right answer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

WOW!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WOW!!

It's not like he didn't deserve it
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
I've owned both the 686 and the Python.
Worlds apart.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's not like he didn't deserve it
View Quote

I know but WOW!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Go shoot a 625 with a 5 inch barrel or a model 19 loaded with 38's.
View Quote

Yes, I had a Model 19-3 I had to sell during divorce.  I have a 64-8 now not quite as nice.  I have always wanted a Python after watching Magnum Force.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own a 4" Royal Blue Python.

I also own a model 19, 28, and a 586.    

I'd rate my trigger favorites as 586, python, close behind the 19, then the 28 because it's not even broken in yet, and spent it's life in someone's sock drawer.

I simply prefer the S&W lockwork and the way it breaks instead of the Python's staginess that drops away to an unsettling nothing at then end.

The Pythons are good and smooth, but quite different in feel.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

A friend of mine has a 686 and the trigger is very nice, almost as good as my Python.  I will agree that the 686 is an awesome gun, especially for the price, but I would save your money and buy the Rolls Royce of revolvers and pick up a Python.  I never shot a 3" so I can't compare that to anything but my 6" is smooth with .38 specials.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Rifle like accuracy in a revolver.  I took a little whitetail buck at about 40 yards with a 6" Python.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:46:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A friend of mine has a 686 and the trigger is very nice, almost as good as my Python.  I will agree that the 686 is an awesome gun, especially for the price, but I would save your money and buy the Rolls Royce of revolvers and pick up a Python.  I never shot a 3" so I can't compare that to anything but my 6" is smooth with .38 specials.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know with the way prices are going with Python............what about a Korth?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you get a 686, try to find an old one with the hard chrome trigger. They're smoother than the case hardened guns. A good gunsmith can slick them up very well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll look into the Trooper and Diamondback, plus the 686 and other S&Ws.

Somehow I doubt I'll stop with just one. I still have time!

the trigger on my 686 pro series feels better than my buddies python.

I dont see the appeal to the snake guns other than from a collection standpoint
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What first made you aware, made you want a Python?

For me it Starsky & Hutch.  That sweet stainless 6" that Hutch carried in a shoulder rig.
View Quote

My python was the first gun I ever owned.  I bought it as soon as I turned 21.  

Short version of a very long story:
My friend's father died when my friend was still in high school and his mom died when he was a little kid.  His dad left him a ton of firearms so we would take them to the range (under-age but my friend knew the store owner).  A 6" Python was always present during these range trips.  When I became 21 (legal age in NJ) I wanted a gun.  I bought a Python because it was fun to shoot and i didn't know shit about firearms and I figured a revolver would be easy to maintain and not break down.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

It's not, they are very similar, and you can get a 686 pretty cheap and a decent trigger job would help it to shoot better than a Python.

I like Pythons, don't get me wrong, but they cost entirely too much to buy one just to shoot it.  I picked up both my pre-Hillary hole S&Ws (686 and 629) for less than $500 each.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#35]
I'll leave this here

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#36]
I am just getting into revolvers and enjoy shooting them more than Autos for some reason.

I have a couple Smith and Wessons that are nice and fun, but a tuned Python will spoil you rotten. They are just crazy expensive right now, so I am looking at older 686 or other older Colt revolvers.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#37]
A model 19 with a good trigger will make you just as happy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Another 686 fan here. Box stock, never been modified, has an excellent trigger. Shoot .38's through it and it is a pussycat. Shoot full-house .357's and it will make you giggle.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#39]
They're nice for sure, but not >$2k nice.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

yeah, they are
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#41]

not bad, mine was 275 dollar American in 1975 for a 4 incher
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The pre-MKIII 1953-mid-1969ish Colt Troopers shared the same lockwork as the Python and can be had for much less.

Still not the work of art in all respects that the Python was. But it'll give you a taste of the good life at a reasonable buy in.

Of course a pre-lock S&W 586/686 is an excellent choice and as I stated before, an excellent value for a workhorse wheelgun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn it. Sounds like I'll be saving my money for a while.

Thanks for the input, guys!

The pre-MKIII 1953-mid-1969ish Colt Troopers shared the same lockwork as the Python and can be had for much less.

Still not the work of art in all respects that the Python was. But it'll give you a taste of the good life at a reasonable buy in.

Of course a pre-lock S&W 586/686 is an excellent choice and as I stated before, an excellent value for a workhorse wheelgun.

my trooper mk III is close to the Python, just close
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Brother and I were looking at pythons a few years ago on gunbroker. Sister looks over my shoulder and says "meh, anaconda would be better"
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Op check out the 627 Performance center. It's the nicest shooting 357 that isn't a Python I've ever shot.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Most people come full circle, start out shooting Glocks/M&P's then graduate to wheel guns..........I know several team guys who carry .357's for back up CCW's because they run in any conditions, hardly ever malfunction and have serious stopping power.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A model 19 with a good trigger will make you just as happy.
View Quote

had a 19, mine really didn't compare to the python, it was nice, but nowhere as smooth
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#47]
I had a python, and the trigger pull truly was amazing.

But I am more into combat type shooting, so S&W for me (sold the python, to let someone else enjoy it).
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I was never been into revolvers, just didn't see the appeal.

A friend let me shoot his Colt Python with a 3 inch barrel. I cannot even describe how much I loved it.

Now I want a one of my own but they're out of my price range at the moment!

Is there any similar .357 at a more reasonable price or should I just save my money for a Python?
View Quote

You are doing better than me. I sold a Python, and wish I hadn't.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/a7/a7c92986d4387aba97f873b45ba3be334cbf6cecde29a188ebb414dc5b8096d3.jpg

I say it every day believe me.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top