Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/28/2016 10:49:21 PM EDT
Please someone tell me where to go

Currently live in rural SW Oklahoma but the heat and other living conditions are starting to get to me and the wife.  For a simple doctors appointment we are driving 1.5 to 2 hours and the same for any decent shopping, dinning.

We love Northern New Mexico and Colorado and are wanting to move somewhere that has 4 seasons, mountains, trees, snow, etc.

Job is not an issue, I am retired from CG and now telecommute but do fly every so often for work.

Our requirements are higher elevation, somewhat close to a town or city for shopping, dinning, etc.

I am only looking at Rocky Mountain states and want a few acres.  Where should we go?  

Yes, we are conservatives, gun owners, proud Americans, obvious military supporters and the MYOB type of neighbor.

Can the hive give us some suggestions? NM, CO, AZ, ID, MT or WY?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Bend, Oregon.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Whatever you do, if excessive distances to appointments are an issue for you, you might consider the 2 mile rule.

Everything you use on a regular basis should be within 2 miles, otherwise you spend much of your life in traffic, and that = unhappiness.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whatever you do, if excessive distances to appointments are an issue for you, you might consider the 2 mile rule.

Everything you use on a regular basis should be within 2 miles, otherwise you spend much of your life in traffic, and that = unhappiness.
View Quote

I like this idea, but our rule is 20 miles, its enough that we are not bothered by "drop ins"  but close enough for normal living.

Speed
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd focus on a place with low property taxes and not terribly expensive cost of living.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:58:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't move to Northern Nevada whatever you do...
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would go with the "middle of nowhere is the best part of nowhere" rule
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Wyoming.  It's just like Colorado, but fewer nitwits.  Live near Cheyenne, and you're only a few hours north of Denver.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:12:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wyoming.  It's just like Colorado, but fewer nitwits.  Live near Cheyenne, and you're only a few hours north of Denver.
View Quote

Don't listen to this guy unless you love wind.

OP, look at PA. Im in CO and want to move back. The winters here are colder while summers are hotter. I might as well as be back in ND as far as weather goes. It is nice having entertainment close by but you can also find that in PA.

Each of these cities have their bad areas but just trying to give you some examples of areas to look at. I'm not familiar with the eastern side so maybe someone can chime in.

State College, Altoona, Bedford, Blairsville, Johnstown, Clarion, Indiana, Latrobe/Greensburg, Hershey
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#9]
You know that old saying "GO WEST SON", I'd like to suggest that "GO EAST SON"
Come to the Catskill mountains of NYS. Yeah the gun laws suck, but we have four seasons, pretty low taxes in
many of the upstate communities, low crime.

I know you are LYAO
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Prescott Arizona is what you seek!

The places you are currently looking at are loony toon leftist states!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Sante Fe is nice.  In laws have a house in Salida, CO but it's small.  My dad lives in Missoula and it is nice but the winters kill him.  Walk outside and it's -20 and you are depressed.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies.  We don't mind a 20-40 minute drive I just don't want a 2 hour drive one way for a doctor appointment.
Being in or near a small town which is located outside a larger city is fine.  Cold weather does not bother us, we like it after spending 10 years in Alaska.

For the guys suggesting moving East, I appreciate the replies but I hate the East Coast.  (no offense to any of you)  I am a Western guy, love the sparsely populated mountain regions.
I know CO is filled with libs but I love that state.

Which Rocky mountain state is best for real estate prices and taxes?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Astoria Oregon, or thereabouts.

I would love to live in that area.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#14]
The good thing is wherever you do go will be an improvement over SW Oklahoma. Sorry it's GD and I couldn't resist.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Pagosa Springs CO, Driggs Idaho, Dubois Wyoming.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#16]
NC,TN, anywhere around the smokey mountains/appalachie?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like you need to pick a Colorado suburb.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Parker, CO or somewhere near Cheyenne, WY?

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:47:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Boise has what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:49:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sante Fe is nice.  In laws have a house in Salida, CO but it's small.  My dad lives in Missoula and it is nice but the winters kill him.  Walk outside and it's -20 and you are depressed.
View Quote

I was actually going to say Salida. Love that little town.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Falcon is a fairly decent compromise.

Just under 7k feet so slightly cooler, fairly close to the mountains, lots of attractions in CO Springs, hour to hour and a half from Denver, shooting ranges and indoor ranges close by, low crime but there was just one murder recently
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
OP said he wanted four seasons..

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Just under 7k feet so slightly cooler, fairly close to the mountains, lots of attractions in CO Springs, hour to hour and a half from Denver, shooting ranges and indoor ranges close by, low crime but there was just one murder recently
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And CO gun laws are getting more herp derp by the year.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't you mean Presskit?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#25]
If I was in your shoes and didn't need to worry about a job I would live in Montana or Wyoming. Some day...
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#26]
No state income tax, is what you seek.

Personally, I'd stay put.  SW OK is just fine.  You can do A LOT WORSE.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:02:34 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Don't you mean Presskit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't you mean Presskit?
They need to git here first....

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:05:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Northern Michigan
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:07:17 AM EDT
[#29]
flint michigan is nice
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:10:38 AM EDT
[#30]
My wife and I are considering a move back to the mountains in Colorado. Hate the lib take over, but I love the state. Plus I live in Chicagoland, so I'm used to liberals. At least Colorado still has a chance and is beautiful.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:13:16 AM EDT
[#31]
If the cold doesn't bother you, look at northern Idaho or Montana.  Beautiful country.  I would consider that area, except for the winters.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Come to TN.

The used gun market sucks and the cocaine is stepped on as fuck, but there's lots of money moving into the area.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:14:49 AM EDT
[#33]
West of Denver would be my choice.  I intend to end up back there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:16:08 AM EDT
[#34]
NW NM is pretty conservative.  I would live in AZ, WY, NM, etc.  But honestly you can keep CO.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:22:14 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:33:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Southwest Utah has plenty of places. Good variety of activity and not a liberal star like CO and NM.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:35:17 AM EDT
[#37]
I think you might be a good candidate to live in Bolivia.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:35:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Idaho Panhandle is nice.  Conservative values, good gun laws, permitless ccw, rural area land available, good hunting and fishing.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:39:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Astoria Oregon, or thereabouts.

I would love to live in that area.
View Quote

85 inches of rain and 9 inches of snow on average
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:46:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Come to the Catskill mountains of NYS....
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I cant stay here anymore.  No one in my family, including the dogs likes this heat.  And don't get me started on the ignorant inbreds around here.  I was born and raised here so I know a lot of them, hell some are cousins

I have to be in the mountains!!!!  It is mentally and physically killing me every time I leave the mountains to come back here.  I have spent every summer since the early 70's playing in Northern NM or SW Colorado plus my years in Alaska.  Somehow I got the mountain disease and cant shake it.

One poster mentioned Pagosa Springs, I love that town, spent a lot of summers there.  Been spending the last few summers in Durango.  I need to do some road trips to Northern AZ, Utah, WY and MT.  Plus some Google work to see how real estate and taxes compare.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:10:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I cant stay here anymore.  No one in my family, including the dogs likes this heat.  And don't get me started on the ignorant inbreds around here.  I was born and raised here so I know a lot of them, hell some are cousins

I have to be in the mountains!!!!  It is mentally and physically killing me every time I leave the mountains to come back here.  I have spent every summer since the early 70's playing in Northern NM or SW Colorado plus my years in Alaska.  Somehow I got the mountain disease and cant shake it.

One poster mentioned Pagosa Springs, I love that town, spent a lot of summers there.  Been spending the last few summers in Durango.  I need to do some road trips to Northern AZ, Utah, WY and MT.  Plus some Google work to see how real estate and taxes compare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have news for you.  The Southwest didn't get any colder since the 70s.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:17:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Where ever you go, if you have a well, make sure the water is potable.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Eastern Maine.  I've got two surveyed adjoining lots, 2 3/4 acres  total, two drilled wells with nice tests, two driveways,two power poles, two foundation/sites, grandfathered, a 12x20 rough shelter, and falling down barn.  Located in town with clam license available, 5 minute walk to state small park swimming, lake.  Good garden spot.  also have 180 +/- acres, 1/2 mile on US 1, 3 adjoining lots, small pond and stream.
road network in on the pond parcel.  two years ago was valued at $150k.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If I was in your shoes and didn't need to worry about a job I would live in Montana or Wyoming. Some day...
View Quote

I was just telling the hubby I wanted to go back to Montana. I absolutely love it there.

We have property in TN. We bought it to build on it and never got around to doing it. We may sell and buy an existing place at some point.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Prescott AZ.

Climate is good, we have 4 seasons, some mountains around us, not like CO, but great hiking trails.  Sedona is 40 miles away through Jerome.  Scenery is great... except west of town.  TONS of places to go shooting, Phoenix is 80-90 miles.  In the winter, if it is too cold in Prescott, head down to the valley for a fantastic 60-70 degree day.  If the summer day gets too hot, head up to Flagstaff and hang in the trees.

Visit places like Page AZ and go see Lake Powell, See Antelope Canyon, go camping on the Mogollon rim.  Lots of stuff to do.  

Downtown Prescott is always hosting art shows, fairs, concerts.  Almost every night and most weekends.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#47]
I spoke with a client the other day about this.  He has lived and traveled all over the western US and I asked his opinion about what is the best.  His answer was Utah.  If you're into the "west" kind of thing I think he's right.  In his words, nothing is very far from it.  Now for stuff east I don't care.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#48]
How many winters have you spent in a rocky mountain state?  Not saying dont move to one, they are awesome, but depending on where you go be prepared for some long cold winters.  I would say look into northern Idaho, someplace outside of coeur d'alene.  Everything you need is not too far away, Spokane has good hospitals and such.  Just be prepared for lots of snow and cold winters.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

OP, look at PA. Im in CO and want to move back. The winters here are colder while summers are hotter. I might as well as be back in ND as far as weather goes. It is nice having entertainment close by but you can also find that in PA.

Each of these cities have their bad areas but just trying to give you some examples of areas to look at. I'm not familiar with the eastern side so maybe someone can chime in.

State College, Altoona, Bedford, Blairsville, Johnstown, Clarion, Indiana, Latrobe/Greensburg, Hershey
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am biased, but I have lived in UT and CA, and happily call PA home.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#50]
how are you in the sw ok and it takes 2hr to get to anywhere

all the small towns are w/n 1hr of lawton, and any farther n/ne the city is w/n 45 mins??

the farthest sw you can go is hollis

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top