Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you are served tortillas with a meal, typically you put butter on it and eat it like we eat bread with our meal. Not stick everything in it and make a taco
Though I do it, because I like it, but I know it's not the "legit" way to do it
View Quote

the Mexicans in Mexico did not follow your advice.
Every place we went, they put stuff in the gorillas and ate it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
When I worked in the swamps of Manchac Pass, I would occasionally see an out-of-towner try and paddle a pirogue. I would always stop and watch for the inevitable outcome.

For those that don't know, this is a pirogue:

It looks like a small canoe, but the flat bottom (for getting through shallow swamp) and narrow width make it highly unstable.

ETA: It is pronounced pee-ROW
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I ordered Pepsi in an Atlanta Restaurant
View Quote

This right here. Left Stone Mountain just to find Pepsi....
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When you are served tortillas with a meal, typically you put butter on it and eat it like we eat bread with our meal. Not stick everything in it and make a taco

Wait, they put stuff IN the gorillas?!?  And then ate the gorillas?!!???????

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those vatos are muy chingon.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I bet they didn't when sitting at a dinner table in polite company On the street--everything is a taco

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Having spent a lot of my youth in backwoods jungles in the Yucatan Peninsula, I disagree. They'll wrap up anything in a fresh tortilla. They're used for spoons when eating soups and stews as well.

But here in Texas I wrap all the things

I bet they didn't when sitting at a dinner table in polite company On the street--everything is a taco

You'd be wrong

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep it's a Pusher Tortilla, as my late Latina Wife would say......

The same way you would use a piece of bread.......

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Having spent a lot of my youth in backwoods jungles in the Yucatan Peninsula, I disagree. They'll wrap up anything in a fresh tortilla. They're used for spoons when eating soups and stews as well.

Yep, you use it to push your food on your fork.....

Just like you use a piece of bread, when eating a stew....

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You'd be wrong

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd be wrong

So........ they're.........

Low Rent-Low Class?  

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The tortillas with butter thing is the single most gringo, white-bread, 1950's-holdover facet of eating at a Tex-Mex restaurant.  "Sticking everything in it" is literally the most genuine, native use for a tortilla, apart from perhaps using it as a stand-in for a spoon or a plate.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Low Rent-Low Class?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd be wrong

Low Rent-Low Class?  

I don't think they really had a concept of low or high class. Things like that tend to be low priority when you're so isolated that you're asked to help cut a path through the jungle so a missionary dentist can drive a Land Cruiser full of medical supplies in because the next road is miles away

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The tortillas with butter thing is the single most gringo, white-bread, 1950's-holdover facet of eating at a Tex-Mex restaurant.  "Sticking everything in it" is literally the most genuine, native use for a tortilla, apart from perhaps using it as a stand-in for a spoon or a plate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It can also be a custom from different areas.... I'm sure my FIL & his Sisters learned it from Their Parents...

Don't know what part of Mexico they were from.... My best friend is Mexican & I've seen him do the same...

Maybe it's a CA-Mex vs. Tex-Mex thing........  

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I don't think they really had a concept of low or high class. Things like that tend to be low priority when you're so isolated that you're asked to help cut a path through the jungle so a missionary dentist can drive a Land Cruiser full of medical supplies in because the next road is miles away

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd be wrong

Low Rent-Low Class?  

That was a Sarcastic Joke.....  

If you didn't take it as so, check your meter......  

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It can also be a custom from different areas.... I'm sure my FIL & his Sisters learned it from Their Parents...

Don't know what part of Mexico they were from.... My best friend is Mexican & I've seen him do the same...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I've seen it done since my childhood. I've even done it - with a fresh tortilla it's delicious. Not passing any judgment.

But, to see it represented as the "proper" way to use a tortilla could simply not be allowed to stand.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:01:19 AM EDT
[#16]
In Fall River, Massachusetts the stuff you pump in your car to make it run is called "gazoline" or "gaz" for short. Never heard it pronounced this way any other place in New England
and Fall River natives still call it gaz to this day.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#17]

25 or 30 years ago, we guided James MacArthur and some friends of his on a horse pack trip between Crested Butte and Aspen.  Don't recall him being such a Jonah on that trip.  Thought he was a good man at the time.  

Book 'em, Danno!

edited for speeling
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#18]
northern Wi

FIBS
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FIBs come up here and try to drink like the locals.
View Quote

No shit, the amount of heavy drinking done in this state is insane...
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:30:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not really, it's usually pronounced Wapak.  

Dad grew up in Delphos.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The pronunciation of Refugio and Mexia.

Trying to pronounce Ohio towns that look like foreign names is always fun.

Marseilles = Marsales
Versailles = Vursales
Russia = Rooshy
Bellefontaine = Bell-fountain
Lots of examples.

At least Wapakoneta is pronounced phonetically.
Not really, it's usually pronounced Wapak.  

Dad grew up in Delphos.

I'm between Kenton and Bellefontaine.  No out of staters ever get Lima right either. Rushsylvania is pronounced "Rushelvania" or, as I prefer, Rusheltucky.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:39:38 AM EDT
[#21]
I live in Vegas so the parade of tourists is world class. Only two sub-species really annoy me:

The 20-40 year old British male. They travel in packs and you can spot them easily because they all wear the same outfit: capri pants that are one size too small, bright green or orange in color and a tshirt or polo two sizes too small bright green or orange in color, whichever does not match the capri's. These packs of brightly colored morons come to Vegas and absolutely lose their minds. I always figured the sunshine and women who don't look like they got hit in the face with a flaming bag of nickels cause them to lose all inhibitions. Said morons will drink till near death and piss on anything that will stand still long enough.

The 20-40 year old Guido's. Bobby, Joey, Petey and Ricky. They are from Jersey or NYC or absolute worst case Philly. This sub species of moron is the core driver of the $1000 bottle service clubs and $1500 pool party cabana rental industries. These types never wear shirts and at least one tribal tattoo is mandatory. This group views sexual assault as a team sport. The bottle girls and pool girls HATE these people but understand they are the reason they can make more slinging vodka than most engineers take home.

Both of these groups keep the machine gun ranges in business and will take endless pictures of each other shooting machine guns and having a blast. They will then tell you that no one should be allowed guns.

I won't get into people from California. Thats a whole other thing.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Fuck conformity and made up rules/norms. Do what you like and quit worrying about what other motherfuckers are doing. No time in life for that shit. Like to eat your pizza crust first? Why should I care?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:44:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Then, truthfully....it's the butter on rice thing, that makes me turn.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

OMG!!!!

Did you get beat up?

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:16:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wearing bikini's to town like this is some kind of fucking resort. Cover up yourselves, whores. Otherwise I don't pay enough attention to care.
View Quote

Is Haram!
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:23:20 AM EDT
[#26]
People who can't drive in the snow.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:24:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz55/ma96782/AR15dotcom/got_poi.jpg

Then, truthfully....it's the butter on rice thing, that makes me turn.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

Gah, never could stand the stuff.  Didn't help that I had it in an elementary school lunch line, and thought it was some kind of pudding..  Funny, when I moved back to the mainland, nobody really knew what sushi was.. "Sushi?  That's that raw fish, ain't it?"  My wife and I went out for sushi tonight and picked between one of three different restaurants in our rotation, with probably another dozen or so within a few miles that we haven't tried yet.  Now to track down whichever idiot decided that putting avocado in sushi to make it look pretty was a good idea (typical Japanese, though... looks and presentation matter more than taste, as a friend's mother found when she took a cake to a church bake sale in Tokyo.. All of the others were works of art, but tasteless.  Someone bought hers out of pity and then came back later talking about how good it tasted...)

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:49:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Unfortunately that is not limited to the tourist. It is always fun watching people from the south try to drive in this normal northern ice or snow or frost
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:49:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I grew up in Utica and have never heard this expression
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People going to Albany, NY and calling a steamed ham a hamburger.

I grew up in Utica and have never heard this expression

I used to take camping trips at my friend's property just east of Utica and I still haven't figured out what a stump jumper is.

Cape Cod has beautiful beaches. Many of them have dunes. The beaches became famous. Everybody wanted to play in the dunes. Human traffic caused too much erosion and they fenced the dunes. You can't go on them.

Provincetown used to be a sort of anti-urban, touristy fishing village. It had stores that sold handcrafted jewelry and stuff, as well as t shirts and one of the oddest surplus stores in the world, Marine Specialties. There were ice cream and candy shops that made their own. You could watch the boats unload the catch on the pier. It had some of the best restaurants on the east coast.

The potheads took over and the stores started selling black light posters, bongs, etc. Then the gays took over and aside from open hostility to heterosexuals, they turned it into a false snobbery of Santorini on the north Atlantic. This attracted all manner of rich imbeciles who believed that if they wasted enough money on garbage, it would be just like the Riviera. The sharks figured this out and spent their weekdays buying garbage in Maine and their weekends selling it as antiques to morons. A scrap lobster trap is worth a hundred bucks. Driftwood is worth whatever some idealistic dunce will pay for it, regardless of the fact that it's a fucking log.

Ordinarily, you would say that anyone who paid $180.00 for this thing was an asshole.

That's because you didn't buy it at The Glass Studio On Cape Cod. There used to be all kinds of interesting stores and stuff you could find on Cape Cod, even legitimate antiques if you knew where to look. My favorite was a used book store called Parnassus Books. That stuff is all gone.

ETA - those of you who think place names like Worcester are screwy should visit Wales, where the place names were all fucked up before the English took all their vowels away so they could have things like Leicester Square.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

OMG!!!!

Did you get beat up?

Aloha, Mark
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG!!!!

Did you get beat up?

Aloha, Mark

Seriously...the bartender glared at me like I asked to sleep with his wife
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#31]

LOL...I see that a lot.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I live in Ohio. Other than Cincy's fucked up "chili" there ain't a whole  lot of "regional" to our food.
View Quote
A Cincinnati regional dish, Goetta, led to taste bud damage that resulted in Skyline "chili".

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Nothing too crazy around. I'd say it's mainly people ordering ketchup for their hot dogs (some at places that don't serve it), mispronouncing pizza place names, and just getting lost.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Indian culture(feather) peddled in casinos.

St Patricks day

Wait

Yeah I guess drinking is still a thing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Tourists in DC stand on the left side of escalators.

It's very annoying and sometimes causes me to miss trains and have to be in DC longer. Also the locals are too fucking passive these days to even say "excuse me" and get them to move.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Getting a cheese steak sans wit wiz.

You get it wit wiz or you go the fuck home.  
View Quote

You're kidding right? I don't want oil-with-artificial-color-and-flavor-from-a-can-steak.

Also, what is it with philly people putting ketchup on cheese steaks? It's not meatloaf! I actually enjoy the taste, with real provolone, onions and cooked green peppers (not sweet/canned peppers)

Sorry, tried to explain this to some people from philly last weekend

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The white/horribly sunburned people going in the water when the air temp is 72 and the water temp is 62, in March, in California. Yup, tourists.

Watching people try to eat New York style pizza that aren't familiar with it. You fold that shit in half.

Directions: Southern California is a pretty big place, from the northern part of Los Angeles to the Mexican border and out to the 15 is bigger then a lot of  states.
I have had people stop and ask me where Disneyland is, only to find out they drove down from LA to go there and wound up in San Diego. They are pretty bummed when they find out it is about 2 hours back the way they came.
TV and movies have people thinking that all the major cities, tourist attractions and landmarks are like 10 minutes from one another.

View Quote

Also, tourists wear shorts when it is below 80degrees, while the locals wear pants and sweatshirts. (Me and my brothers stood out when we visited for a wedding. But all that means is locals are spoiled pussies when it comes to weather! Shorts weather starts at 60 degrees! )
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I like to throw "Bucky-russ" out there just to screw with people.
Their faces show they don't know if I am kidding, out of state, or retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The pronunciation of Refugio and Mexia.

Trying to pronounce Ohio towns that look like foreign names is always fun.

Marseilles = Marsales
Versailles = Vursales
Russia = Rooshy
Bellefontaine = Bell-fountain
Lots of examples.

At least Wapakoneta is pronounced phonetically.

Cuyahoga. kai-a-hog-a

I was listening to BBC World last week and they pronounced it "Kwai-ga."

Olentangy and Bucyrus are also good.

When people eat a 3-way at Skyline and try to twist it on the fork like it's Olive Garden. Real Buckeyes get a 4-way and the cut it with the fork.

I like to throw "Bucky-russ" out there just to screw with people.
Their faces show they don't know if I am kidding, out of state, or retarded.

Good to know I'm not alone in that.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wearing bikini's to town like this is some kind of fucking resort. Cover up yourselves, whores. Otherwise I don't pay enough attention to care.

http://e.lvme.me/1ys176p.jpg

Somebody has the ghey. Perhaps burkas would be more his speed. Then you get goat parties.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I live in Ohio. Other than Cincy's fucked up "chili" there ain't a whole  lot of "regional" to our food.
View Quote

We get some odd looks when they see toasted ravioli on the menu. Once they try it they usually love it though. Otherwise I can't think of anything regional foodwise other than Imos and their pizza is garbage IMO.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You guys ever been to Italy before?

It's funny when someone from a pizza state goes to Italy and orders real pizza for the first time. Go to any touristy place and you'll hear Americans bitching about the pizza being made incorrectly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chicago "pizza"

Tourists didn't screw that up, Chicago did.

East coast style (NY/NJ) pizza or nothing.

It's funny when someone from a pizza state goes to Italy and orders real pizza for the first time. Go to any touristy place and you'll hear Americans bitching about the pizza being made incorrectly.

Italian pizza is awful. We do it better.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A Cincinnati regional dish, Goetta, led to taste bud damage that resulted in Skyline "chili".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You take that back.

Goetta is awesome.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Those weirdos that get mad when pizza comes out square cut.
View Quote

As a native of Saint Louis I too hate when some asshole slices a pizza into squares. Not having crust to hold your slice by is barbaric.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

One of the beautiful things about this site is we always have someone who knows the exact answer to the question.

Yes, my son (USMC stationed in HI) has a girlfriend who hula dances (she's super hot) for a living because jobs for locals sucks. Yes.....they do hate the vacationer crowd.

In fairness and totally related.....I'm from NE PA and we used to be a tourist destination (Poconos). We had the market on the Honeymoon resort trade and nice little ski areas. We had wonderful close knit little mountain towns and weekenders who had homes for years.

That all changed when the scum came looking for cheap real estate.

Look at the census and crime data for that area over the last even 20 years. Every scumbag from NYC and Metro NJ that wore out their welcome there, or most likely on the run from owing somebody money, came and invaded us turing it into a wooded fucking ghetto. Crime, rape, murder, trash and graffiti came. My township never had a murder until 1991. Now it's a weekly occurrence. never see a local name mentioned.

Now there's lots of Arfcommers here that have moved to the Poconos and tell me how THEY are "different", but fail to realize that we've heard that tired old line from ALL of them over the last few decades and they are all equally worthless sub-human garbage.

After 9/11....not 48 hours after, it seemed like every one of those scumbags was popping their trunks and selling memorial hats with embroidered FDNY, and NYPD logos and T shirts. NOT 48 HOURS AFTER!

Now that's what I call ruined. I moved 970 miles away and sometimes i think I can still smell the stench of those fucking animals.
View Quote

Preach on brother.

We have a hunting cabin dating back to 1927, we used to take guns in the off season when we visited to ward off bears.

Now we take guns to ward off the locals.

Monroe county.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They fall off mountains.
View Quote

Here too. Link to story
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In BR, avocados are typically eaten with suger, not salt like high blood pressure Hispanics prefer.
View Quote

That is where the Brazilian ladies get dat azz
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

My solution: don't go anyplace that snow happens regularly...
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Hawaiians hate haoles.
View Quote

They have no problem with my money.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Besides, we won the fucking war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chicago "pizza"

Tourists didn't screw that up, Chicago did.

East coast style (NY/NJ) pizza or nothing.

Tomatoes are from the Americas so we still win. They use our fruit wrong.

Besides, we won the fucking war.

And pasta is likely from China.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top