Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:41:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I keep hoping for a war movie that stars a tripod mounted MG42 chewing up hordes of communists.

But this looks interesting too.  Sort of.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:56:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just think of what he may of accomplished by picking up a rifle and helping his fellow soldiers to his fullest extent. If you are a conscientious objector, fine, then be a medic or something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um, you guys, this certainly looks like an attempt by Hollywood to glamorize the guy who refuses to pick up the "icky" guns while shipping off to war. He handicapped his unit by decreasing the number of effective infantrymen by one soldier. I think I'll pass on this movie.

The guy earned two bronze stars, three Purple Hearts, and the Medal of Honor. You don't get those without being a badass

Just think of what he may of accomplished by picking up a rifle and helping his fellow soldiers to his fullest extent. If you are a conscientious objector, fine, then be a medic or something.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:07:06 AM EDT
[#3]
looks campy and corny, and the preview already showed the entire movie... PASS...
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:24:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Um, you guys, this certainly looks like an attempt by Hollywood to glamorize the guy who refuses to pick up the "icky" guns while shipping off to war. He handicapped his unit by decreasing the number of effective infantrymen by one soldier. I think I'll pass on this movie.
View Quote

The guy earned two bronze stars, three Purple Hearts, and the Medal of Honor. You don't get those without being a badass
View Quote

View Quote

http://static1.fjcdn.com/comments/He+s+right+you+know+_3f9a5e2ca9af9dad5df588da0bcb8f70.jpg
View Quote

As several others have pointed out:

He Was A Medic Who Risked His Life To Save Dozens Of His Fellow Soldiers

From his Medal of Honor Citation

Pfc. Doss refused to seek cover and remained in the fire-swept area with the many stricken, carrying all 75 casualties one-by-one to the edge of the escarpment and there lowering them on a rope-supported litter down the face of a cliff to friendly hands.

On May 2, he exposed himself to heavy rifle and mortar fire in rescuing a wounded man 200 yards [180 m] forward of the lines on the same escarpment; and 2 days later he treated 4 men who had been cut down while assaulting a strongly defended cave, advancing through a shower of grenades to within 8 yards [7.3 m] of enemy forces in a cave's mouth, where he dressed his comrades' wounds before making 4 separate trips under fire to evacuate them to safety.

On May 5, he unhesitatingly braved enemy shelling and small arms fire to assist an artillery officer. He applied bandages, moved his patient to a spot that offered protection from small arms fire and, while artillery and mortar shells fell close by, painstakingly administered plasma. Later that day, when an American was severely wounded by fire from a cave, Pfc. Doss crawled to him where he had fallen 25 feet [7.6 m] from the enemy position, rendered aid, and carried him 100 yards [91 m] to safety while continually exposed to enemy fire.

while the rest of his company took cover, fearlessly risking the chance that he would be mistaken for an infiltrating Japanese and giving aid to the injured until he was himself seriously wounded in the legs by the explosion of a grenade. Rather than call another aid man from cover, he cared for his own injuries and waited 5 hours before litter bearers reached him and started carrying him to cover. The trio was caught in an enemy tank attack and Pfc. Doss, seeing a more critically wounded man nearby, crawled off the litter; and directed the bearers to give their first attention to the other man. Awaiting the litter bearers' return, he was again struck, by a sniper bullet while being carried off the field by a comrade, this time suffering a compound fracture of 1 arm. With magnificent fortitude he bound a rifle stock to his shattered arm as a splint and then crawled 300 yards [270 m] over rough terrain to the aid station.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:46:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://static1.fjcdn.com/comments/He+s+right+you+know+_3f9a5e2ca9af9dad5df588da0bcb8f70.jpg

Didn't read the thread, did you?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:48:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I keep hoping for a war movie that stars a tripod mounted MG42 chewing up hordes of communists.

View Quote

It exists.
In German.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:53:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just watched the documentary on Youtube, and Yes.. apparently he did, although not like that. Sounds like he was kicking it out of the hole he a few wounded

were in whilst he was working on them. Grenade went off and he was wounded. Quite a man and quite a story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmmm....Did that guy kick a grenade ....

looked like it.

I just watched the documentary on Youtube, and Yes.. apparently he did, although not like that. Sounds like he was kicking it out of the hole he a few wounded

were in whilst he was working on them. Grenade went off and he was wounded. Quite a man and quite a story.

I read his citations after viewing. So it was a reactionary type post.

I was at first look.it's a Eugene sledge..meets Forrest Gump...meets spider man.movie.. that's how the trailer came off to me.

But being not a knee jerk posting knob lover. I went a researched this guy.

I watched Fury in the theater ..will more than likely try to see this one (it's 35 mile drive to one ) ..if not ill but it on cable demand.

Hopefully Gibson does a good job on his story....
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:01:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just read the citation...certified harass, even if he was a conscientious objector. I'll see this one in the theater.  

ETA: fuck the public education system, for never uttering a word to me about this man.
View Quote

This entire post, but especially the part in red. Never heard of the man until now, and that's a damn crime IMO.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:01:42 AM EDT
[#9]

The story line seems vaguely familiar . . .

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:05:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It exists.

In German.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It exists.

In German.
Cross of Iron

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It exists.
In German.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It exists.
In German.

Please feel free to link it or drop the title!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:06:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cross of Iron  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It exists.
In German.
Cross of Iron  

Hey that's not in German!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:07:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ummmm....

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:28:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Did you forget where you are? You are in a website called ar15.com, in case you forgot. Why would you think everyone here would get their dicks hard over an anti gun war movie?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, no.

Single issue, narrow minded people get to have their say as well.

He's just one non- movie goer that will stand in the way of an effective movie box office hit. He is soooo important the whole movie will fail now.

Did you forget where you are? You are in a website called ar15.com, in case you forgot. Why would you think everyone here would get their dicks hard over an anti gun war movie?

might want to read his MOH citation and rethink your train of thought.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:09:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just read the citation...certified harass, even if he was a conscientious objector. I'll see this one in the theater.  

ETA: fuck the public education system, for never uttering a word to me about this man.
View Quote

And for not teaching you the value of a well place "d"...
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Just ordered the book for my Kindle.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:37:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Cool, didn't even know they were making a movie about him.
Definitely one to see in the theater.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell us more about your battlefield exploits.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#19]
One I will look forward to watching on Netflix
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I will go see it.  

Hard as woodpecker lips, that doc.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Good to see Vince Vaughn in the film, he's bigtime pro gun.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#22]
IIRC, he was offered a discharge early when he went into the Army over his CO status and turned it down. He wanted to help out, he just didn't want to kill anybody.

Also, on the "pick up a rifle" thing, the military took the "medics don't carry guns" thing seriously. It's why it wasn't until 2002 that Captain Ben Salomon got his MoH. He was a dentist who defended his aid station from a Japanese attack. When the army retook the site he his body was slumped over a machine gun and there were 98 Japanese bodies before him. Reportedly one of the officers on the scene quickly cut the Red Cross off his arm, but the fact he was a "medic" meant his MoH got denied for a long time.

ETA: Also, during the battle in which he was wounded and evacuated, he lost his bible. After the battle his buddies searched the battlefield until they found it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#23]
His MoH citation reads like a crazy over-the-top Hollywood movie script.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I wonder how Doss' opinion of the Japanese enemy changed during his time in the battlefield. Eugene Sledge's attitude changed quickly from being an innocent kid from Alabama to when he saw how savage an enemy they were. The turning point in his book was when they came across dead American soldiers with their penises cut off and stuffed in their mouths. After that, he truly had a deep hatred for the enemy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#25]
If more anti-gun/war leftists acted like he did, this country would be in a much better place.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Badass dude.

There was a MOH recipient from the Korean conflict that I'd be interested in seeing.  He was an Asian dude.  Killed a metric shit ton of commies with an M2 while covering his units retreat.  Got captured.  Can't remember his name.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He could have just gotten out of it all by claiming bone spurs like a current nominee of the Republican Party did . . .

But instead, he sallied forth into WWII and saved a hundred or so GIs from the Japs.

GD must therefore hate him.
View Quote

Do you ever make a post in which your Trump Derangement Syndrome does not come through?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#28]

That's a great channel to spend quite a few hours on.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Badass dude.

There was a MOH recipient from the Korean conflict that I'd be interested in seeing.  He was an Asian dude.  Killed a metric shit ton of commies with an M2 while covering his units retreat.  Got captured.  Can't remember his name.
View Quote

I would love to see Hanks/Speilberg team up again to do a Korean War miniseries.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Badass dude.

View Quote

Hiroshi Miyamura
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

looks campy and corny, and the preview already showed the entire movie... PASS...
View Quote

this

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#32]
So, Thor21, do you think the fact that this man didn't want to be a shooter means the heroic and lifesaving duties he performed as a medic just wasn't as significant because he wasn't one more infantryman with a rifle?

I'm trying to understand your reasoning but I can't.

Quoted:
Straight from Corporal Doss' MOH citation:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
He was a company aid man when the 1st Battalion assaulted a jagged escarpment 400 feet [120 m] high. As our troops gained the summit, a heavy concentration of artillery, mortar and machinegun fire crashed into them, inflicting approximately 75 casualties and driving the others back. Pfc. Doss refused to seek cover and remained in the fire-swept area with the many stricken, carrying all 75 casualties one-by-one to the edge of the escarpment and there lowering them on a rope-supported litter down the face of a cliff to friendly hands. On May 2, he exposed himself to heavy rifle and mortar fire in rescuing a wounded man 200 yards [180 m] forward of the lines on the same escarpment; and 2 days later he treated 4 men who had been cut down while assaulting a strongly defended cave, advancing through a shower of grenades to within 8 yards [7.3 m] of enemy forces in a cave's mouth, where he dressed his comrades' wounds before making 4 separate trips under fire to evacuate them to safety. On May 5, he unhesitatingly braved enemy shelling and small arms fire to assist an artillery officer. He applied bandages, moved his patient to a spot that offered protection from small arms fire and, while artillery and mortar shells fell close by, painstakingly administered plasma. Later that day, when an American was severely wounded by fire from a cave, Pfc. Doss crawled to him where he had fallen 25 feet [7.6 m] from the enemy position, rendered aid, and carried him 100 yards [91 m] to safety while continually exposed to enemy fire. On May 21, in a night attack on high ground near Shuri, he remained in exposed territory while the rest of his company took cover, fearlessly risking the chance that he would be mistaken for an infiltrating Japanese and giving aid to the injured until he was himself seriously wounded in the legs by the explosion of a grenade. Rather than call another aid man from cover, he cared for his own injuries and waited 5 hours before litter bearers reached him and started carrying him to cover. The trio was caught in an enemy tank attack and Pfc. Doss, seeing a more critically wounded man nearby, crawled off the litter; and directed the bearers to give their first attention to the other man. Awaiting the litter bearers' return, he was again struck, by a sniper bullet while being carried off the field by a comrade, this time suffering a compound fracture of 1 arm. With magnificent fortitude he bound a rifle stock to his shattered arm as a splint and then crawled 300 yards [270 m] over rough terrain to the aid station. Through his outstanding bravery and unflinching determination in the face of desperately dangerous conditions Pfc. Doss saved the lives of many soldiers. His name became a symbol throughout the 77th Infantry Division for outstanding gallantry far above and beyond the call of duty.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Yeah, those unoriginal fuckers should have changed it so it wouldn't be cliché.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So, Thor21, do you think the fact that this man didn't want to be a shooter means the heroic and lifesaving duties he performed as a medic just wasn't as significant because he wasn't one more infantryman with a rifle?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
He was a company aid man when the 1st Battalion assaulted a jagged escarpment 400 feet [120 m] high. As our troops gained the summit, a heavy concentration of artillery, mortar and machinegun fire crashed into them, inflicting approximately 75 casualties and driving the others back. Pfc. Doss refused to seek cover and remained in the fire-swept area with the many stricken, carrying all 75 casualties one-by-one to the edge of the escarpment and there lowering them on a rope-supported litter down the face of a cliff to friendly hands. On May 2, he exposed himself to heavy rifle and mortar fire in rescuing a wounded man 200 yards [180 m] forward of the lines on the same escarpment; and 2 days later he treated 4 men who had been cut down while assaulting a strongly defended cave, advancing through a shower of grenades to within 8 yards [7.3 m] of enemy forces in a cave's mouth, where he dressed his comrades' wounds before making 4 separate trips under fire to evacuate them to safety. On May 5, he unhesitatingly braved enemy shelling and small arms fire to assist an artillery officer. He applied bandages, moved his patient to a spot that offered protection from small arms fire and, while artillery and mortar shells fell close by, painstakingly administered plasma. Later that day, when an American was severely wounded by fire from a cave, Pfc. Doss crawled to him where he had fallen 25 feet [7.6 m] from the enemy position, rendered aid, and carried him 100 yards [91 m] to safety while continually exposed to enemy fire. On May 21, in a night attack on high ground near Shuri, he remained in exposed territory while the rest of his company took cover, fearlessly risking the chance that he would be mistaken for an infiltrating Japanese and giving aid to the injured until he was himself seriously wounded in the legs by the explosion of a grenade. Rather than call another aid man from cover, he cared for his own injuries and waited 5 hours before litter bearers reached him and started carrying him to cover. The trio was caught in an enemy tank attack and Pfc. Doss, seeing a more critically wounded man nearby, crawled off the litter; and directed the bearers to give their first attention to the other man. Awaiting the litter bearers' return, he was again struck, by a sniper bullet while being carried off the field by a comrade, this time suffering a compound fracture of 1 arm. With magnificent fortitude he bound a rifle stock to his shattered arm as a splint and then crawled 300 yards [270 m] over rough terrain to the aid station. Through his outstanding bravery and unflinching determination in the face of desperately dangerous conditions Pfc. Doss saved the lives of many soldiers. His name became a symbol throughout the 77th Infantry Division for outstanding gallantry far above and beyond the call of duty.

Many infantrymen with rifles had complete mental breakdowns and had to leave the war without contributing much on the battlefield. Doss showed you didn't have to have one to be a hero.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

And in fact the MoH citation is somewhat toned down from reality!

His command put the number of men he saved lowering them down off the cliff at over 100, but Doss insisted there was no way that could be right because he only worked for 5-6 hours and by his estimate it couldn't be more than 50. So they split the difference and credited him with 75 on the citation. In reality over 100 ended up evacuated to the aid station and only a handful were thought to have been from anyone elses efforts but his that day.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

His command put the number of men he saved lowering them down off the cliff at over 100, but Doss insisted there was no way that could be right because he only worked for 5-6 hours and by his estimate it couldn't be more than 50. So they split the difference and credited him with 75 on the citation. In reality over 100 ended up evacuated to the aid station and only a handful were thought to have been from anyone elses efforts but his that day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely incredible! Almost superhuman!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I would love to see Hanks/Speilberg team up again to do a Korean War miniseries.
View Quote

This. As much as I want to see their upcoming The Mighty 8th, I wish they had used their resources to do a show on Korea instead.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not to take anything away from his heroism but that looks like a shitty movie, production wise; certainly not SPR or BoB quality. Might just be the way the trailer was shot, though.
View Quote

Um, wat?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This. As much as I want to see their upcoming The Mighty 8th, I wish they had used their resources to do a show on Korea instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, the Korean War doesn't draw as much interest as WWII did to most people. It's a shame because there were some incredible stories that came out of that war.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He WAS a medic. Read a link or something, herpa derp.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Just saw the trailer, looking forward to this one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The Adventists I know own guns... Went shooting with some all the time in Colorado...

Seem like good people, even if their cookies are sub par...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This movies character came off like Forrest Gump. Regardless of the person it's based on this seemed lame.
Also in before "Seventh Day Adventists are cultists and he is in hell."

The Adventists I know own guns... Went shooting with some all the time in Colorado...

Seem like good people, even if their cookies are sub par...

Shooting guns for sports and hunting is completely different than being issued guns pacifically in the military to kill people.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
  Shooting guns for sports and hunting is completely different than being issued guns pacifically in the military to kill people.
View Quote

Is atlantically the antonym?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

this is a hero by any definition.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Doss' MoH citation is hardcore.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, the Korean War doesn't draw as much interest as WWII did to most people. It's a shame because there were some incredible stories that came out of that war.
View Quote

The Glousters at the Imjin River would be a great movie.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well, good for him. I just don't have any time for more anti gun messages from Hollywood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was a medic or something.

Well, good for him. I just don't have any time for more anti gun messages from Hollywood.

You should go back to posting less. PFC Doss' story absolutely deserves to be told. Yours...not so much.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#48]
A must see.  His story needs to be told.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep...I would like to see something on the Sabre Mig killers as well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#50]
A movie about a hero native son of Virginia.....Oh yeah, I'll go see that.

My Virginia History teacher mentioned him in glowing terms back when I was in middle school. Oddly enough I did not remember his name just the fact that he was a conscientious objector from Lynchburg, Virginia and a medic.

It's a damn shame that residents know so little about the states they reside in and the people of note in it's history. Hell, they don't even teach Virginia History as a stand-alone class in Virginia public schools anymore.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top