BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love scotch, Scotch Scotch Scotch, Get in my belly.
View Quote

lol me too
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Puked my brains out when I was 16 trying to get the best of a bottle of Chivas.

Can never go back after that.  I like most other Whiskeys, good rum and Tequila.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I have tried a good many different versions of Scotch and the best I can say is that it is ok.

I usually keep a bottle or two around and will have some on occasion.

Bourbon and Rye are what I prefer.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to say you drink Scotch, but don't like the cough-medicine/swamp flavor of the higher end ones, get some Monkey Shoulder. It's a blended Scotch that's mildly flavored and very smooth. Otherwise, you can save some money by buying bourbon. You don't need to drink what others like. Drink what you like.

Quoted:
There was a time I didn't like scotch.  Then my testicles dropped.
View Quote

Aaaand there's the inevitable tool who has to insult people who don't share his taste.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The only scotch I liked was about 30 years old. A friend's grandparents had died and lived up north. When they cleaned out the house to sell they found a case of it his grandpa had left over from a liquor store they owned. It was nice and smooth but I'll stick with Jimmy B.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Give up.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem a lot of people make is they start out with a peaty scotch and get turned off by it's strong unique taste. Start out with something like Glenlivet and work your way up to an Islay in baby steps and you might like it...or you'll still think it tastes like topsoil and you'll stop drinking scotch.

Personally, I like peaty scotch but even still I've tasted some that I thought ttasted like crap. A good one is Caol Ila 12. It's probably my favorite Islay.

What if you think Glenlevit is peaty?

Give up.

Done.  I last tried some Glenmorangie, Lasanta, 12 year.  They put it in sherry casks.  I like sherry.  A lot.  So I think, maybe that will taste good.  

Nope.  Can't taste one damn thing the distiller describes.  Just medicine.  Cough syrup.  Lysol, the kind you mix with water to clean a hospital floor of infectious disease.  Lot's of people say they like it and I'm sure they do.  But whatever it is in scotch that tastes like medicine to the rest of us, overpowers all else.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#7]
you're not alone, op.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I think it makes a great parts cleaner, but it should be marked "for external use only."
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I've tried four. First Ballantine's, which I didn't like, then Glenlivet and Glenmorangie, which I found mediocre. I was going to give up on scotch until I tried the Macallan, which was outstanding. If you've been disappointed with others, at least try a mini-bottle of that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I like some and can't stand others. There's so many different flavor profiles. For example, I currently have a bottle of The Macallan 12 that I can't drink and a bottle of Glenfiddich 18 that I love.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I had too much of it 3-4 years ago. haven't been able to stomach it since.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Never cared for scotch, and always hated gin. Was never huge fan of rum, either. Bourbon was my go-to.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you want to say you drink Scotch, but don't like the cough-medicine/swamp flavor of the higher end ones, get some Monkey Shoulder. It's a blended Scotch that's mildly flavored and very smooth. Otherwise, you can save some money by buying bourbon. You don't need to drink what others like. Drink what you like.

Aaaand there's the inevitable tool who has to insult people who don't share his taste.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
There was a time I didn't like scotch.  Then my testicles dropped.

I'm [not] sorry you never learned sarcasm as a child.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm there with ya OP.

But I did buy a buddy of mine a bottle of this for his retirement. Claimed it was pretty good stuff...
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate the shit. I work for a surgeon that bought some kind of small batch stuff last time he was in Scotland.
At his Christmas party he brings this out and tells us it was $1500.00 for the bottle.
Well, I had to try it. It was horrible. Probably my uncultured palate couldn't appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Done.  I last tried some Glenmorangie, Lasanta, 12 year.  They put it in sherry casks.  I like sherry.  A lot.  So I think, maybe that will taste good.  

Nope.  Can't taste one damn thing the distiller describes.  Just medicine.  Cough syrup.  Lysol, the kind you mix with water to clean a hospital floor of infectious disease.  Lot's of people say they like it and I'm sure they do.  But whatever it is in scotch that tastes like medicine to the rest of us, overpowers all else.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem a lot of people make is they start out with a peaty scotch and get turned off by it's strong unique taste. Start out with something like Glenlivet and work your way up to an Islay in baby steps and you might like it...or you'll still think it tastes like topsoil and you'll stop drinking scotch.

Personally, I like peaty scotch but even still I've tasted some that I thought ttasted like crap. A good one is Caol Ila 12. It's probably my favorite Islay.

Give up.

It's peat moss. Particularly the smoke from burning peat moss used to malt the barley.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I hate the shit. I work for a surgeon that bought some kind of small batch stuff last time he was in Scotland.
At his Christmas party he brings this out and tells us it was $1500.00 for the bottle.
Well, I had to try it. It was horrible. Probably my uncultured palate couldn't appreciate it.
View Quote

Try some of this next time:

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't drink it very often anymore but I love it.  I even like the cheap blends.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Scotch is fucking nasty.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#21]
it's kind of broad statement to say you hate scotch because it all tastes differently

I love JW black label but I hate all that single malt crap

also, if something costs a fortune I generally wont drink it

if you drink $150 a bottle scotch and $5 a bottle beer, then good on ye

but I'm fine with JW black and heiniken, I think most super-duper expensive products are just a scam, they con you into thinking that the product is super duper by jacking the price

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try some of this next time:
http://cdn1-www.craveonline.com/assets/uploads/gallery/the-ten-most-expensive-scotch-whiskies-in-the-world/glenfiddich_55_year_old_glenfiddich_janet_sheed_roberts_reserve_4-1.jpg

Thanks but I probably couldn't appreciate that either.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

they did a test where they put andre $7 champagne in a Tattinger bottle and served it

the people drinking it smacked their lips like it was the best stuff they ever had

penn and teller did that with water too, filled fancy water bottles from a rubber garden hose and served it in a fancy French restaurant

can you tell a difference in quality?  sure you can, up until a point

can you con people into thinking that andre pisswater champagne is tattinger?  yupereeno

All of the wine reviewers are HUGELY full of shit.  They don't drink $250 bottles of wine.  They drink $30 bottles just like you.

consumer snobbery is the biggest joke, a bunch of people overspending on hype

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I love bourbon, I love jack, I love all whiskeys.  Except scotch for some reason, I can't get past the peatyness.
View Quote

Try Glenmorangie port cask.  About 45 bucks.  Black box.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Never cared for scotch, and always hated gin. Was never huge fan of rum, either. Bourbon was my go-to.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love bourbon, I love jack, I love all whiskeys.  Except scotch for some reason, I can't get past the peatyness.

Good choice. If you can't find that try Glenlivet 12. About 40 bucks. Silver Box.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#27]
No, you are not alone.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not all whisky is peaty.

Islay malts will give you solid pettiness, and for some it is rather overpowering.  For me Islays are an end of session drink as it does tend to overpower the taste buds,

There are far more that have more subtle flavours and are less heavy than bourbon.

I can recommend a few but if you can get your hands on a St George's distillery Chapter 6 you will find a whisky with more cream soda and vanilla favours that are higher than most subtle bourbons.

Alcohol percentage is one of the key factors.  A lot cask conditioned whisky  comes in at over 40% alcohol.  Above 40% tends to give you a far greater alcohol "burn" so diluting with a tot of water can really open up the flavours.

I like bourbons and whisky.  They are quite different in many respects but of you can stomach JD, then a quality quality single malt should be positively angelic on the tongue.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Then you try some of the Irish whiskies.

If you don't like Scotch, you don't like Scotch. Acquired tastes and all that.

Me, I don't like tequila, even though other folks rave about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you try some of the Irish whiskies.

If you don't like Scotch, you don't like Scotch. Acquired tastes and all that.

Me, I don't like tequila, even though other folks rave about it.

I drink Bushmills on a regular basis.  I don't like it as much as bourbon, but I have no problem enjoying it.  Bushmills is my best friends favorite drink.

He has taught me to be a good Protestant and turn my nose at Jameson.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It's peat moss. Particularly the smoke from burning peat moss used to malt the barley.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give up.

There is good smoke like mesquite, applewood, hicory, maple, pecan, and a few others.  People use them to smoke meats, fish, seafood.  Then there is peat moss right up there with the coal and poison ivy.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

it's kind of broad statement to say you hate scotch because it all tastes differently

I love JW black label but I hate all that single malt crap

also, if something costs a fortune I generally wont drink it

if you drink $150 a bottle scotch and $5 a bottle beer, then good on ye

but I'm fine with JW black and heiniken, I think most super-duper expensive products are just a scam, they con you into thinking that the product is super duper by jacking the price
View Quote
If you have tried several and you don't like any of them, then it's a categorical statement.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Fuck you OP, and pass the Ardbeg.    

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Call Isla.  18 year old.

If you like a Islay, you will thank me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I like Irish

Tried Scotch once or twice, really didn't like it
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#35]
HEATHENS!!!!  
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Some are better than others, I hate the ones that taste like an antiseptic.  Usually I stick with bourbon.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

This. It's the fad or "coming of age" sign.

Like golf
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It"s okay, but I don't get all that excited over it. I'll bet half the people who say they're into drinking scotch are only saying it in an attempt to sound hip and interesting.

This. It's the fad or "coming of age" sign.

Like golf

That's not how Scotch works for most people.  You either like it or you don't.  Plenty of "sophisticated adults" prefer bourbon (for some damned reason).
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I like it.  I have to be in the mood for it, though, and I tend toward the lighter malts.  I haven't tried many of the extremely peaty Scotches but I do have some Black Bottle which suits me just fine... when I'm in the mood for it.  

I don't see a lot of difference between something like Glenlivet and an Irish whisky.

I wish more of them were available at cask strength at a decent price.   Most of the bourbon I prefer is over 90 proof.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Call Isla.  18 year old.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Call Isla.  18 year old.

Never had an OB Caol Ila, but my Montgomery's 18yr bottling isn't all that great IMO.  Could just be a shitty cask.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a couple of decent bottles of scotch, mostly gifts from people.

Not a huge fan, not really much of a drinker in general. I like an occasional good craft beer and that is about it.

Alcohol being such a huge thing in so many people's lives kinda frightens me to be honest.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Not all whisky is peaty.

Islay malts will give you solid pettiness, and for some it is rather overpowering.  For me Islays are an end of session drink as it does tend to overpower the taste buds,

There are far more that have more subtle flavours and are less heavy than bourbon.

I can recommend a few but if you can get your hands on a St George's distillery Chapter 6 you will find a whisky with more cream soda and vanilla favours that are higher than most subtle bourbons.

Alcohol percentage is one of the key factors.  A lot cask conditioned whisky  comes in at over 40% alcohol.  Above 40% tends to give you a far greater alcohol "burn" so diluting with a tot of water can really open up the flavours.

I like bourbons and whisky.  They are quite different in many respects but of you can stomach JD, then a quality quality single malt should be positively angelic on the tongue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not all whisky is peaty.

You try any rye?  Knob Creek makes a great one.  Having some Whistle Pig rye mixed with a little Wild Turkey Forgiven (rye/bourbon blend) at the moment.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Never tried it myself as I tend to stick with bourbon and rye.

I'm happy enough with them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Got sick on J&B.  'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked for brown Forman corporate for a decade. Used my liquor allowance well. Hit the test lab up from time to time.

No sir. I don't like it. Another poster brought up the cilantro tastes like soap flavonoid. I'm one of those. Don't know if related.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.jimcarreyonline.com/img/recent/news/carrey304.jpg

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Scotch is fucking nasty.
View Quote

Sapphire chilled straight up.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#47]
kcolg30 likes...
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#48]
When I was little, like single digits, figured it must taste like Butter Scotch Candy.
WRONG!
Same with beer, at my friends 12 Y.O. Birthday party, went in the house, was a bottle of Iron City Beer!
Figured, hell, just like all the cowboy movies I watched, a beer sliding down the bar, figured it would taste like Frostie Root Beer/
Wrong.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I have tried hard to like it, I have a bottle of Yamazaki and a bottle of balvenie 15 yr single. I just can't stomach it. I'd rather have a bottle of yuengling beer.
View Quote
Balvenie 18 & 21 are nice. Otherwise give me bourbon!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#50]
I love scotch. Never cared for bourbon or even most of the "popular" scotches, until someone gave me a lagavulin. That changed my world. Now I can't stop buying islays.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top