Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2016 10:56:37 AM EDT
All,

Leaving in 48 hours for Yellowstone. What are some things that I dont want to miss? Have the family with me including a 6 year old boy. Want to show them the very best of everything.

Please advise and thank you,

Dan
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't pet the buffalo.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Stay on the trails.  

Eat at Gusher's Pizza.  

See Old Faithful.

Take all the walks you can while you drive through.  

Sit in the Hot Springs.  

Also depends on which entrance you're going in.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Warning signs, pissed off wildlife, and boiling water.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#4]
You're in luck!  July is the park wide petting zoo month!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't pet the buffalo.
View Quote

But if somebody else is petting the buffalo, stick around for the show
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Take a day and go over to Macks inn in Idaho.  (about 25 minutes from West Yellowstone)  Rent a canoe and float down the Henry's fork.  If you fish,  you can catch some monster trout through that stretch.   Also stop by Big Springs and see the huge trout swimming around under the bridge.  

http://www.macksinn.com/local-area-guide.asp?cat=6943

Take a day and go up to the North entrance near Gardiner Montana also.  Usually there will be elk walking through the streets.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#8]

YNP is BIG.

Parts are awesome and then there is a lot of driving in between.

I actually preferred Teton for scenery...Hike all day and then have drinks watching this happen every night...never got old.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

don't forget the chinese
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for the responses! Have good optics but will pack additional gear now and the trout fishing sounds AMAZING!  

Have 2 days before I leave. All other thoughts are accepted. Want this to be the best trip possible for my boy.

Thank you,

Dan

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry folks, park's closed.  Moose out front should have told you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#13]
TAG.  I'll be out there next week with the kiddos.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bring good high power spotting scopes - spend some time in the Lamar Valley and watch the wolves!  It's been a few years (Oh about 12-13 since I was there) but it is what I enjoyed most!  We watched the wolves kill a calf elk with the mother trying to fight them off.  It was a once in a lifetime experience most likely.

ETA:  Consider renting good optics too if you can't afford to buy good stuff.  You will see a lot better with good optics!
View Quote

yeah, we got to see a grizzly eating an elk calf it had just killed from 400 yards out.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Tagging because we're going next summer.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Just a little NW of the west entrance is a place called Quake lake. If you and your family would enjoy seeing how and what the Yellowstone caldera can do, stop by the USGS visitors center there and take the hour long drive around tour.

I know a lady who was there the night of excitement and the stories that are told are exactly as she described the quake to me.

If you go, you will hear about a large boulder, she was sleeping 20 yards east of the impact area.

I don't know, maybe too much for a young one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The other obvious is a good camera with a good lens and spare batteries and memory cards. I took thousands of photos when I was there last.  Some things really need to be caught on video so bring a tripod you can use with both.  The problem with video and photos is it can really slow your visit down.  How long will you be there?  My next trip I would love to spend 2-weeks.  One week is barely enough time to really get to see everything so you can't spend a day or two in just one area watching wolves as an example.
View Quote

This trip is just one week as the night we get back, my boy starts school the next day. Am hoping to get my wife and boy to fall in love with the area so I can get them to move there.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Bud Lilly's Trout Shop in West Yellowstone will be a great source of info about the area and will be happy to get you setup with a knowledgeable guide & drift boat for fishing the numerous rivers in the area.

Not affiliated with them but had a long time friend who guided out of there for years until he died about 5 years ago.  I fished up there, with him, a number of times.  It's truly a special place.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

don't forget the chinese
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

don't forget the chinese

Was just there last month. Lots of dead trees from fires. And Chinese....hoards & hoards of them! But they are easy to see over. But they really jibber jabber, and distract from the peace and tranquility of the park. At Mammoth Hot Springs, watched one of them ignore the signs, hop a fence and trample formations that took hundreds of years to form. A ranger chewed him out. Chinese response: jibber jaber! Like the one fellow said already, Grand Teton NP is better. I'd plan on spending more time there if I were you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I would go pick up Dan Cahill's book Lost In My Own Backyard.  It's a quick read, probably get it done in 2-3 hours.  It will give you some great ideas.  It's probably too late but there are some good books that talk about the best trails, hikes and even how to do it with a kid.

I just got back from Yellowstone and GTT in June.

I would go see all the features in the basin, including Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic Springs, The Artist's Pots, etc.  They are really interesting.

When Old Faithful blew my 5 year old just started saying "Wow!  You don't see this every day" and "I wanted to see this my whole life!"  Everyone was cracking up around us.

I don't think there is a right way or wrong way to do it.  My daughter was as amazed as we were by the natural beauty and scenery.

Are you camping in the park?

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#22]
We were up North the whole month of June and visited 4 national parks in addition to many national monuments and museums. You can't go wrong visiting any national park, but if I had to do a forced ranking here it is:

1) Glacier NP
2) Grand Teton NP
3) Great Basin NP
4) Yellowstone NP

And Craters of the Moon National Monument ( soon to be a NP) is pretty nice too. And the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman is wold class!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We were up North the whole month of June and visited 4 national parks in addition to many national monuments and museums. You can't go wrong visiting any national park, but if I had to do a forced ranking here it is:

1) Glacier NP
2) Grand Teton NP
3) Great Basin NP
4) Yellowstone NP

And Craters of the Moon National Monument ( soon to be a NP) is pretty nice too. And the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman is wold class!
View Quote

Yeah if you're doing the north entrance near Gardiner...or hell even through West Yellowstone, heading into Bozeman for the day is nice as well.  Lots of pretty driving.  

West Yellowstone is a decent place to spend some time too.  There's an imax theater there that could be fun to see when it's scorching out.  A drive through paradise valley would be cool.  

I'm sure if you google "things to do in yellowstone" you'll get quite the list.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah if you're doing the north entrance near Gardiner...or hell even through West Yellowstone, heading into Bozeman for the day is nice as well.  Lots of pretty driving.  

West Yellowstone is a decent place to spend some time too.  There's an imax theater there that could be fun to see when it's scorching out.  A drive through paradise valley would be cool.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) Glacier NP
2) Grand Teton NP
3) Great Basin NP
4) Yellowstone NP

"Things NOT to do in Yellowstone" are tossing a bison calf into the back of your SUV and kidnapping him because he looks "cold." That pisses mama bison off.

Now the funniest thing we saw at Yellowstone was at a Bison traffic jam where a small herd met about 75 cars. The rangers had an ambulance parked on the scene and EMT's ready just in case there was a goring. That was some good stuff!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) Glacier NP
2) Grand Teton NP
3) Great Basin NP
4) Yellowstone NP

I have been googling extensively but also like to get opinions on the best places people have seen. Really looking to make this trip magical for my boy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I was there 3rd week in May this year; get into the park early & beat the first wave of selfie-stick-totin-stinky-fish eaters; they're everywhere

definitly keep your head on a swivel when stopping to look at some of the features that have parking near the road; looked across from where
everyone else was looking, on a hill behind us there were huge herds of elk.

don't get sticker shock at the prices of chow outside the park; we ate 2 meals out of our cooler & had dinner out.

although we only had 2 days there, we also did Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Puget Sound, Arches, a ton of Indian sites & Big Bend
on the same 3.5 wk road trip,,,
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This trip is just one week as the night we get back, my boy starts school the next day. Am hoping to get my wife and boy to fall in love with the area so I can get them to move there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The other obvious is a good camera with a good lens and spare batteries and memory cards. I took thousands of photos when I was there last.  Some things really need to be caught on video so bring a tripod you can use with both.  The problem with video and photos is it can really slow your visit down.  How long will you be there?  My next trip I would love to spend 2-weeks.  One week is barely enough time to really get to see everything so you can't spend a day or two in just one area watching wolves as an example.

start prowling around the HTF's for Idaho, Wy & Montana; it's not as pristine (politically & socially) in all those places as it seems;
I fell in love with the place also, but the gale force winds during the winter may change some minds about staying all year.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better off staying in AZ. Its beautiful up there but I see 6 big problems: Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb & March!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Everything.  Yellowstone is one of the most amazing places on the planet.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Visit the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#32]
hike to the base of lower falls
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:58:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Yosemite when it blows the fuck up.

There's a reason all the animals are running away from it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Tag for myself. Going to Yellowstone 3rd week of August. Only going to be for the day and then on to Cody.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:11:14 AM EDT
[#35]
See if you can find anyone but and Asian or a really really liberal idiot.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:11:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, one look at the number of Chinese and you will understand why they named it Yellowstone.  

Visit Grant Tetons and take the boat ride to the cowboy breakfast.  It was an awesome little trip.

If your 6yo is anything like mine take him to Craters of the Moon in Idaho.  Lots of lava flows and neat stuff, my son still talks about it and asks we go back.  

https://www.nps.gov/crmo/index.htm

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:27:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Dragons lair and walk the loop around.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:40:23 AM EDT
[#39]
I vote for Tetons as well. Jellystone is crowded, traffic filled, and commercialized.

Jenny lake ferry, Jackson Lake Lodge, JDR parkway over to Driggs. Go flyfish W/ of Flagg Ranch. Hit the Hoot @ Dornans, eat at the chuckwagon (i'm an ex employee), run the Alpine Slide @ Snow King. Raft the snake out of Jackson Hole. Drive as manny times as possible between Moran and Jackson Hole and try and stay on the road ;) (the Grand T's are THAT mesmerizing)

Ride the tram up Jackson Hole Mountain.

Yellowstone is OK but the prettiest stuff isn't there. Hiking up past the glacier runoff after getting off the boat @ Jenny Lake is UNFORGETTABLE. The water is insanely blue.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#40]
I hear there is a buffalo veal special this year there. Also a soup that's to die for. The soup will cost an arm and a leg but it's got a lot of body to it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:27:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Jackson sucks. GTNP sucks. Stay in YNP
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Run over to Chico if you are in the northern part of the park. It's about 40 miles from Gardner. Go to the Chico Hot Springs Resort and Day Spa. They have a large hot spring pool- one of the few you can actually get in anywhere near Yellowstone. $7 for a wrist band, stay as long as you like. Pool is crystal clear water, no chemicals, it turns over naturally so fast, no need for them. The Pool portion of it runs about 98 degrees, the "hot tub" runs 106 or so most days. Was an old timey "health" spa from the turn of the century, neat old place.

HERE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top