BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you didn't get one that was sabotaged by disgruntled workers like I did.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AMF made better looking bikes

Yeah....they were...(in the words of what's his face)...smokin'...
If you didn't get one that was sabotaged by disgruntled workers like I did.

The 79 I posted earlier has never needed anything other than routine maintenance.  Still unopened stock original engine. Hell, it's all stock except the exhaust and forward controls.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have negotiated trademark, merchandise branding, and licensing deals with HD.  They have the very best branding operation I have ever seen.  They are absolutely a serious, first class, company.  Who else even competes with HD in brand loyalty?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do not consider Harley a serious company.
I have negotiated trademark, merchandise branding, and licensing deals with HD.  They have the very best branding operation I have ever seen.  They are absolutely a serious, first class, company.  Who else even competes with HD in brand loyalty?

They make five basic bikes...with all kinds of custom and variations in the classes. There is nothing that they make the someone else did not make, does not make, or did not innovate in a better way than them generally at a better price point and with just as good if not better performance and reliability. Yet their competitors make more bikes and products from dirt bikes, quads, sxs, snow mobiles and jetskis. Along with some far younger companies that started out making snow mobiles growing to make motorcycle and many of the same I just mentioned. Hell in a few years Artic Cat will likely being making motorcycles, they are half way to making dirtbikes right now with the Artic Cat SVX.

All Harley has is brand loyalty and nostalgia products that rarely seem to get serious upgrades. When was the last time Harley came out with a product that someone said, "shit that can not be a Harley?" Or, "sweet, I never thought Harley would build something so innovative?"  Hell they have not even made  a dirt bike in close to 40 years.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They make five basic bikes...with all kinds of custom and variations in the classes. There is nothing that they make the someone else did not make, does not make, or did not innovate in a better way than them generally at a better price point and with just as good if not better performance and reliability. Yet their competitors make more bikes and products from dirt bikes, quads, sxs, snow mobiles and jetskis. Along with some far younger companies that started out making snow mobiles growing to make motorcycle and many of the same I just mentioned. Hell in a few years Artic Cat will likely being making motorcycles, they are half way to making dirtbikes right now with the Artic Cat SVX.

All Harley has is brand loyalty and nostalgia products that rarely seem to get serious upgrades. When was the last time Harley came out with a product that someone said, "shit that can not be a Harley?" Or, "sweet, I never thought Harley would build something so innovative?"  Hell they have not even made  a dirt bike in close to 40 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their business model is not about "making everything" and that's a good thing.  There is also no reason to reinvent the wheel concerning their motorcycles.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh look, someone I'll never take investment advise from.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My BIL law has 7 investments in his garage that he and his wife wishes someone would take off his hands for what they are worth.

Edit, or should I say what he has in them at this point.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

(Showing my bike ignorance here)
Reading that article, the hydraulic clutch thing was what I found most surprising.
Four valve heads are pretty cool, too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hydraulic clutch should have happened 30 years ago.  I have a shovelhead and an Evo now so I doubt I'll ever get a new one, I'm content with leaving the shovelhead as is forever and modding the Evo.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x274/projectTNX/harleys_zpsy3lttwg3.jpg

Reading that article, the hydraulic clutch thing was what I found most surprising.

Haven't other brands been doing hydraulic clutches for a long time now?    What am I missing here?

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Because chrome and tassels look funny on a KTM.  Harley's can be comfy cruisers without the stupid freedom pipes, and massive ape hangers, but many Harley riders are buying the lifestyle and acceptance that comes with owning the same brand of bike as every other rugged individualist...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[That's nice dear old lady pic]

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=90591

SuperDuke R is 1290cc, 180hp, 106lbft, I wonder what they could do with 500 more CC

Probably not sell more bikes than HD.

Because chrome and tassels look funny on a KTM.  Harley's can be comfy cruisers without the stupid freedom pipes, and massive ape hangers, but many Harley riders are buying the lifestyle and acceptance that comes with owning the same brand of bike as every other rugged individualist...

Yeah? So? Has nothing to do with your original question.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:18:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No shit. I have been dealing with them as an author for 25 years, and their business shit is wired tight. Vaughn Beals set the tone, and the follow-on CEOs have mostly done well. The one huuuuuuuuuuugggee misstep was in how they treated Erik Buell, which was utterly shameful.

You may not like their motorcycles, but that is a separate issue.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit. I have been dealing with them as an author for 25 years, and their business shit is wired tight. Vaughn Beals set the tone, and the follow-on CEOs have mostly done well. The one huuuuuuuuuuugggee misstep was in how they treated Erik Buell, which was utterly shameful.

That's the problem with many here. They don't like the bikes, so they assume that the Mothership is an evil, terrible company, from which nothing good can grow. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My BIL law has 7 investments in his garage that he and his wife wishes someone would take off his hands for what they are worth.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because your BIL doesn't like his investments doesn't make birddog's words wrong. HD is still growing strong, regardless of your kinfolk and their bad blood.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a 1972 H-D snowmobile. Only Trump can make a great American product like Harley-Davidson Great Again, amiright?

What does some angsty hipster from WV know about motorcycles, anyway?

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Haven't other brands been doing hydraulic clutches for a long time now?    What am I missing here?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hydraulic clutch should have happened 30 years ago.  I have a shovelhead and an Evo now so I doubt I'll ever get a new one, I'm content with leaving the shovelhead as is forever and modding the Evo.

Yes. So what?

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That's the problem with many here. They don't like the bikes, so they assume that the Mothership is an evil, terrible company, from which nothing good can grow. Nothing could be further from the truth.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And that very thing is emotion— the same shit libtards level against conservatives and Republicans.

I think you will find a strong correlation between liberals and Harley-bashers. I say this as a non-conservative. I am a freedom guy, not a conservative.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was doing my usual “Monday-morning-I-need-a-man."

Yep, HD.
View Quote

and

"A well-educated Deep Throat is the best kind"
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#14]
That does not have black iron cylinder fins.  

It looks like a Japanese Harey Davu San.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:43:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah, but how much oil does it leak?
View Quote

Leaks are a sign of quality on both Harleys and SR-71s

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:Because your BIL doesn't like his investments doesn't make birddog's words wrong. HD is still growing strong, regardless of your kinfolk and their bad blood.  
View Quote

He is like 3rd generation Harley guy, he has been riding since he was old enough to handle a bike on his own. At 40 he is tired of working on bikes, he is finally at the, why the hell do I spend as much time working on bikes as I do riding them. He will probably keep his dad's bike, and the first one he rebuilt himself, and sell the rest, two of which are still mostly in boxes. He would rather spend the time teaching his 8 year old and 15 year old how to work on a 68 Impala.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:57:35 PM EDT
[#17]
So much of yesterday's technology at tomorrows price...
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:36:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Meh. My ol 96 c.i. scoots me around just fine.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:37:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Imagine what kind of performance numbers a Japanese or Italian company could squeeze from 107 cubic inches... (1.8 liters).

Heck, the Goldwing 1800 had ~120hp and ~125 lbft in 2001, and those things aren't high-strung at all and will run forever.
View Quote

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:47:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I thought the article said these new engines were water and oil cooled? Making the fins more aesthetic than functional.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I may be ignorant on the subject, but this engine looks exactly like all of the other Harley engines?  What's the big deal here?

That's the equivalent of saying  every rifle looks the same.  Of course there are similarities, a v twin between 45 and 55 degrees will look similar.  I see tons of differences between the posted engine and mine.  But then again with a Kawasaki or Honda v twin there are similarities took.  

On the article I'm honestly not a fan of counter balancing engines, it always leaves a bad vibration somewhere in the rpm range.  At highway speeds my rubber mounted engine is smoother than any counter balanced Softail and I have no reason to expect this to be any different.  Also you lose HP when using a counter balance.  Either set up a proper engine, 90° V4 or rubber mount that thing, people will be happier.

I'm not trying to be an ass, I am truly ignorant about Harley engines.  Willing to learn though.

Honestly I'm not trying to be a jerk either.   I'm just saying that most v twins look very much alike. It's a production of form and function.  A Ducati or the Japanese sportbike v twins have a decidedly different look due to cylinder placement, 90 degrees versus ~45 degrees..  Anything air and oil cooled will have fins and generally the intake between the cylinders.  The differences will be whether pushrods are used, Harley  and Indian yes versus victory, no.

I thought the article said these new engines were water and oil cooled? Making the fins more aesthetic than functional.

Heads only.  Similar to what the have now on the touring  bikes.  It's the vast majority of the heat so it's a solid system.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes. So what?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. So what?  

Honestly for the type of riding a Hartley is set up for I don't find a hydraulic clutch necessary.  Sure you can get some forearm pump in stop and go traffics but that happens with a hydraulic took.  Nice but not necessary unless you increase the clutch springs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:15:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There was a company years ago that made four valve heads for the EVO. Same forked rocker type setup...they never took off but I think they are still available.
View Quote

Fueling used to make the 4 valve Rivera heads.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:00:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Sounds different?  Harley guys ain't gonna like that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Honestly for the type of riding a Hartley is set up for I don't find a hydraulic clutch necessary.  Sure you can get some forearm pump in stop and go traffics but that happens with a hydraulic took.  Nice but not necessary unless you increase the clutch springs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. So what?  

The best thing about a hydraulic clutch is that you can set the handlever effort super-low by selecting the right ratios between the master and slave cylinders. I LOVE hydraulic clutches.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#25]
No pics in the OP?

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sounds different?  Harley guys ain't gonna like that.
View Quote

You mean it does not make the potato sound anymore?!?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#27]
A 107 inches of pure Harley v-twin nut bustin power thats what. All the experts have been saying foR years that HALRLEY was not going to be able to keep the V-twin due to emissions standards , hence the downfall of a giant company, but No, instead Harley keeps on showing these fuckin tree huggers they can do it.
Quoted:
I may be ignorant on the subject, but this engine looks exactly like all of the other Harley engines?  What's the big deal here?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Except it looks and sounds like a Italian bike or worse a japper.              
Quoted:

Fair enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imagine what kind of performance numbers a Japanese or Italian company could squeeze from 107 cubic inches... (1.8 liters).

Heck, the Goldwing 1800 had ~120hp and ~125 lbft in 2001, and those things aren't high-strung at all and will run forever.

Fair enough.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

It was 104 today. On the back of a Road King just minutes ago, in traffic, on asphalt, with a full faced helmet, I was enjoying my ride home from a solid days work.

I earned my money and spend it the way I want to.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Yamaha has had the 113 CI bikes for a decade. Good motors and decent power for air cooled big twin. Maybe HD will get close to the 100HP mark.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Good thread! It made me buy a bike yesterday. I should have bought one years ago! A lot of fun!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#32]
So HD riders can park their bikes faster in the corners now?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#33]
For the love of God PLEASE don't buy a Harley! Stay in your basements!
This is a Highrailjon public service message. No animals were hurt or killed during this presentation. Well maybe not.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Oh fuck, I bet I know where those photos came from.
View Quote

Seeing a lot of lawyers at work?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have a 1972 H-D snowmobile. Only Trump can make a great American product like Harley-Davidson Great Again, amiright?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ride a Guzzi, careful who you call a hipster.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Seriously?

No overhead cams. Do the math.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So are the pushrods just decorative?

Seriously?

No overhead cams. Do the math.

Gotcha, I skipped through the article and saw chain driven cam and got confused.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh fuck, I bet I know where those photos came from.

My work doesn't deal with Harley.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#38]
IBTL.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top