In before the hate.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:25:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I was doing my usual “Monday-morning-I-need-a-man."

Yep, HD.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:26:24 AM EDT
[#3]
LOL.

I'll be in MKE next week. It'll be interesting.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:27:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, but how much oil does it leak?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:27:11 AM EDT
[#5]
It hasn't been established that that engine will replace the present Twin Cam,yet. Pure speculation,at this point.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:27:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Sweet. No the older bikes will be even cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh fuck, I bet I know where those photos came from.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:28:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Saw them yesterday.  Will have to see if this is the real deal, a one off prototype or something else entirely.  At least it still follows the previous Big Twin Harley's in basic design.

If this is the 2017 Touring engine I predict yet another run on new bikes (Street Glides and Limiteds primarily) with even more used Harley's on the market driving down used bike prices even more.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:31:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Will it still be underpowered and overweight?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:37:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah that's a Harley engine alright.  Couldnt tell one from another myself.

Does Harley actively avoid offering customers a different type of engine? Would Harley customers even buy a Harley powered by an in line or flat opposed design?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:38:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Hydraulic clutch should have happened 30 years ago.  I have a shovelhead and an Evo now so I doubt I'll ever get a new one, I'm content with leaving the shovelhead as is forever and modding the Evo.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:41:25 AM EDT
[#12]
There was a company years ago that made four valve heads for the EVO. Same forked rocker type setup...they never took off but I think they are still available.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Know why Harley's are modified so often?

They disassemble themselves on the way to the shop!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Does it come with a pair of assless chaps?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

GD learned me that all chaps are, in fact, assless.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I may be ignorant on the subject, but this engine looks exactly like all of the other Harley engines?  What's the big deal here?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#17]
So what ____head are they gonna call this motor?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I may be ignorant on the subject, but this engine looks exactly like all of the other Harley engines?  What's the big deal here?
View Quote

Lipstick on a pig.

Polish that turd and get the brand loyalists to spend,  spend, spend !
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Now if they would just bring back the fxr chassis.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the equivalent of saying  every rifle looks the same.  Of course there are similarities, a v twin between 45 and 55 degrees will look similar.  I see tons of differences between the posted engine and mine.  But then again with a Kawasaki or Honda v twin there are similarities took.  

On the article I'm honestly not a fan of counter balancing engines, it always leaves a bad vibration somewhere in the rpm range.  At highway speeds my rubber mounted engine is smoother than any counter balanced Softail and I have no reason to expect this to be any different.  Also you lose HP when using a counter balance.  Either set up a proper engine, 90° V4 or rubber mount that thing, people will be happier.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lipstick on a pig.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lipstick on a pig.

Well, it is also a single cam design vs the twin cam used now. So yes there are obviously similarities along with significant changes.

Harley's customers want a V-Twin so why in the world would they change what is selling so many bikes? But then again I do consider myself a capitalist and can appreciate a good business model.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Those huge pipes will surely be loud enough to save lives

I'm a Harley guy, but even I think that's ugly.

I own an '02 Heritage and a '96 Ultra
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

You realize they'd otherwise be pants right?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's the equivalent of saying  every rifle looks the same.  Of course there are similarities, a v twin between 45 and 55 degrees will look similar.  I see tons of differences between the posted engine and mine.  But then again with a Kawasaki or Honda v twin there are similarities took.  

On the article I'm honestly not a fan of counter balancing engines, it always leaves a bad vibration somewhere in the rpm range.  At highway speeds my rubber mounted engine is smoother than any counter balanced Softail and I have no reason to expect this to be any different.  Also you lose HP when using a counter balance.  Either set up a proper engine, 90° V4 or rubber mount that thing, people will be happier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not trying to be an ass, I am truly ignorant about Harley engines.  Willing to learn though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#25]
AMF made better looking bikes
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cosmetics. People want to buy something that looks the same on the outside because they don't care about the inside.
That's OK by me, but it seems that the camouflage is unnecessary and would just add to the cost.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You realize the Village People and San Francisco leather men .  . . oh never mind; most of GD wouldn't get it anyway.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to be an ass, I am truly ignorant about Harley engines.  Willing to learn though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly I'm not trying to be a jerk either.   I'm just saying that most v twins look very much alike. It's a production of form and function.  A Ducati or the Japanese sportbike v twins have a decidedly different look due to cylinder placement, 90 degrees versus ~45 degrees..  Anything air and oil cooled will have fins and generally the intake between the cylinders.  The differences will be whether pushrods are used, Harley  and Indian yes versus victory, no.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#29]
So...it's a single pin, pushrod, 45 degree v-twin.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I prefer my motorcycle pistons to face opposite directions.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#31]
To each their own, and if ride then we have something in common. If this is your preferred ride, then more power to you.

For me personally? Meh. No fucks given.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#32]

A stage 5 31 cube torque-monster with a wet clutch and solid lifters? Yes, please.

I would imagine the Police RoadKings would be a hoot.

I can envision the sight of a motorcycle cop riding a wheelie in pursuit of a ricer-jockey riding a wheelie on the interstate.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hydraulic clutch should have happened 30 years ago.  I have a shovelhead and an Evo now so I doubt I'll ever get a new one, I'm content with leaving the shovelhead as is forever and modding the Evo.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x274/projectTNX/harleys_zpsy3lttwg3.jpg
View Quote

(Showing my bike ignorance here)
Reading that article, the hydraulic clutch thing was what I found most surprising.
Four valve heads are pretty cool, too
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#34]
So what are they up to now, about 80 whole horsepower?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I prefer mine to be parallel.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not everyone wants to ride a BMW or a Goldwing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Will it still be underpowered and overweight?
View Quote

That's a design feature.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Cutting edge tech right there.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#39]
107ci.

48 screaming eagle horse power!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Cutting edge tech right there.
View Quote

Could say the same thing about a Garand but it is still fun as hell to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#41]
So, have they finally eliminated the need to rev them loudly every time you stop and upon startup, A good EFI system would do wonders for that issue.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#42]
The real question is Why does a FL need a steering stabilizer?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#43]
4 valve per cylinder heads? So the air cooled mills are finally getting what the V-Rod's have had for almost 15 years. Dealers are gonna love the $$$ for the valve adjustments every 5,000 miles. Easy money.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Is it made in china? Like all their other shit?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#45]
So they are still falling short of a Honda 1793cc V-Twin?  

Why all of the excitement?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#46]
I love the fact that so many complain about the fact that HD doesn't offer other engine options. If their sales are any indication, I'm pretty sure they know what their customers want and will make money for the Mothership.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#47]
I picked up a 2015 street glide, trying to get the bike to do 2nd gear sideways burnouts and be quiet like the old 73 Pontiac firebirds but they really dont make exhaust that isnt obnoxious to me.  The stock pipes probably will end up staying put because the CVO ones bother me and I am getting the stink eye from local LE.  

For being 103ci Id think this thing would have better torque, my ducati hyper runs so much better than the ol' fork and knife crank system.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Imagine what kind of performance numbers a Japanese or Italian company could squeeze from 107 cubic inches... (1.8 liters).

Heck, the Goldwing 1800 had ~120hp and ~125 lbft in 2001, and those things aren't high-strung at all and will run forever.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#49]
"leaked photos"

snort
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View Quote

Ignorance is bliss - just leave it at that.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top