Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2016 5:27:29 PM EDT
What does the hive mind think of a 2016 version of this vehicle?  I see mixed reviews on reliability but I'm having trouble separating facts from BS.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a Hummer. Everyone loves a good Hummer
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Wife has a 2014, great so far.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#3]
when you pick it up from the dealership, hit the mall on the way home and trade in your boots for high heels
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

when you pick it up from the dealership, hit the mall on the way home and trade in your boots for high heels
View Quote
Meh.  I want something that can handle a Nebraska winter while fitting in my 1950s sized garage.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Meh.  I want something that can handle a Nebraska winter while fitting in my 1950s sized garage.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Xj
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What does the hive mind think of a 2016 version of this vehicle?  I see mixed reviews on reliability but I'm having trouble separating facts from BS.  
View Quote

Fucking sucks. Hated mine. Constant drivetrain issues, shutting itself off while driving. Fuck heep.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#7]
it's better than some gayer honda pilot
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I like them, will be getting the wife one next year. If they offer a lifetime warranty still I would get it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Well its a chrysler product so....

I own 2 Jeeps and hate it more times then not.

ETA. Will never buy another Chrysler product again.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fucking sucks. Hated mine. Constant drivetrain issues, shutting itself off while driving. Fuck heep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, I fucking hated mine from 60K miles when it started falling apart. Stupid shit like the window regulators, two of them replaced twice and the HVAC blend doors breaking and a compressor going separately. Add in the drivetrain issues and the intermittent battery drain from a short was enough for me to take on a car payment. Maybe they're great now but I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me not when there are so many better options out there.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Too new to speak of reliability, but......

Friend has a 2010 V8, already changed alternator, thermostat, and water pump.
Relative has a 2014 V6, she's saving up money to buy an A/C compressor.

I've rebuilt a lot of 4.7 V8 engines and changed heater cores on 99-04s, I've changed a lot of suspensions, fixed a lot of broken exhaust studs, and done a lot of top end work work on 05+ Hemis.

Given their track record, I think it might be safe to not get your hopes up about reliability.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Run don't walk. My Father and sister bought 2014 and 2015 models. Sister traded hers after electrical demons left her and the kiddos stranded too many times, dad had his in for warranty 3-4 times for mechanical and electrical issues.

My wifes 03 has had less downtime lol
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Are they really that bad one is on the list for future I love them.

Wish I still had my 4litre :(
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#14]
2011 owner here.  It rides nice, handles nice, and owns the snow in the winter, but reliability is a big question mark.  I love it when it works, but it's had some issues.  Everything has been "covered" up to this point, but now that my CPO warranty is out I'm a little worried.  

So far it has had a head gasket replaced (before I bought it), harmonic balancer replaced (covered under warranty, common failure), brake booster needed replaced (covered because I made it a condition of sale, eventually became a safety recall), had the transmission shift into neutral while driving once (they replaced a wiring harness, jury is still out if that had anything to do with it), license plate light wasn't sealed properly and now it doesn't work, several other safety recalls, and shifting can be a little flakey.  

This is my second GC, first was an '01.  I hate to say it but it will probably be my last.  I love the brand, but I'm at the age where I don't have will, time, or money to deal with an unreliable vehicles.  A car is one of those things that just needs to work 100% all the time.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I dig the 2016 Overland with the air suspension.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#16]
43k on my 2014 Summit, with no issues whatsoever.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Before we moved to Wyoming, I got the wife has a new 2012 w/Hemi.  42k flawless miles.  We bought the lifetime warranty.  

Same goes for the 2013 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman of mine.  Lifetime warranty and zero issues.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#18]
2013 Grand Cherokee here, was good until it hit 130,000 miles. 4wd, transmission, power steering and air bag issues now. Recall on visor light wire may short and cause a fire, fuel pressure regulator, alternator and brake booster.

POS, run op. I'm at 137,000 miles with the 3.6 engine.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the JGC's bigger, meaner cousin and I absolutely love it.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Chrysler continues to be the stepchild of the American brand auto companies. Keep that in mind when you buy.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Wife has a 2014 Overland, 4x4, V8, air suspension.  It has 35k miles on it so far and have only had it in for the recalls and oil changes.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#23]
They know how to make a decent looking SUV, which is more than I can say for a lot of the import manufacturers.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a base model V6 AWD 2016.  Works fine for transportation.  Gets decent mileage.  It has the traditional style shifter instead of the recalled one.  

The cylinder deactivation doesn't bother me at all.  I have 7k miles on it in three months and no problems.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I warned you guys, sorry you found out the hard way.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

They know how to make a decent looking SUV, which is more than I can say for a lot of the import manufacturers.
View Quote
Yeah, that's why I was considering it.  Most of them are butt ugly. Oh well.  Maybe the Ford Edge.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

miles?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#28]

My cousin's wife had one and it had to be towed to the dealer twice for the transmission going to neutral while the was driving it. The dealer told them that the would sometimes have would be delivered like that.

Went with and MDX instead for the wife.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Picked my 2016 High Altitude up on Saturday and love it. Fully loaded.

The LED headlights are pretty sweet

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Sister has the diesel version, don't know the mile but they love the thing. She got 32 mpg on a recent trip out here.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

$2400 bumper-to-bumper life-time*.

*Once the price of repair exceeds the blue book value of the vehicle they're going to stop.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they offer a lifetime warranty still I would get it.

*Once the price of repair exceeds the blue book value of the vehicle they're going to stop.

Yes, it 99 years, 999k miles or until the repair exceeds the blue book value. Still a great deal IMO. Plus at cost I think it's only $1200
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Yes, it 99 years, 999k miles or until the repair exceeds the blue book value. Still a great deal IMO. Plus at cost I think it's only $1200
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they offer a lifetime warranty still I would get it.

But it's non-transferable. I opted for the 125K one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I would not recommend buying a FCA product. They have major quality control issues. My wife has a 14' GC w/ Hemi. It has been a good vehicle but I wouldn't do it again. The product is well engineered and designed they just have lots of mfg issues. The current GC is essentially a Mercedes platform from the Diamler days. It is basically a lottery if you get a good one. Just look at all of the recalls they have, they clearly cannot control the product. I am a Jeep guy and owned many but I don't recommend them anymore due to the Fiat ownership.
I bought a hemi because the platform was mature, and at the time the transmission  ZF, was built in Germany in a mfg line that had operated for several years. Fca is building their own 8 speeds under license for the v6 , they had some issues with that platform. There are two torque versions of the 8 speed in the GC, 8hp45 and 8hp70. Fca builds the 8hp45 and ZF builds the 8hp70 in SC. I know several folks that enjoy their GC but I think there are better cars out there for the money with less issues.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Union made garbage.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.   It has had a few recalls, but there have been no major reliability issues.

This is our first Jeep....I normally keep vehicles for 10+ years and 200k+ miles .  I don't think I'll keep it that long, but so far we have been impressed.

We looked at a number of similar sized vehicles and the GC was clearly on top despite the reputation.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Automatic Transmission...

designed by Chrysler, built by  FIAT ?

I don't think you could  GIVE me one free of charge
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:I would not recommend buying a FCA product. They have major quality control issues. My wife has a 14' GC w/ Hemi. It has been a good vehicle but I wouldn't do it again. The product is well engineered and designed they just have lots of mfg issues.
View Quote

I seriously laughed at an auto show when I saw the "electric power steering" they put in them.  Ford has an electric motor on the steering rack, nice and simple.  To keep up with Ford (IMO) so they could say they have "electric power steering" they put an electric motor on a normal hydraulic power steering pump.  Seems like kind of a long way around the block to me.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

miles?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

miles?

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I love my 2015. I will say they don't have a great reliability track record. Mine has been good so far.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Fine as long as you don't keep it after the bumper to bumper warranty runs out.
Terrible reliability, better off finding a low mileage 06-2010 model. My 2006 was great.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:00:06 AM EDT
[#41]
In the process of retiring my 1993 GC. 240k miles including hard off road miles. 5.2 V8 and transmission are in good shape.

Just bought a 06 GC with the 5.7 Hemi. The ast one was great - hope that the newer one does as well... Time will tell.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:17:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I had a '96 Limited. Had it 4 years.
Towed a trailer across this country and yours with no issues.

Aside from the electrical gremlins I loved it.

The new ones are nice but I don't think they stand up as well as the older models since FIAT took over.
The resale value on them is shit too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#43]
I almost got into one, then realized it's shit.  Bought a Gx460 instead.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#44]
I have a 2013 that has been a big disappointment. Go look at one that's two years old and look at how the plastic in the rear cargo area is holding up. I've had an oil pump, AC blower motor, AC blend doors, interior trim pieces, rear hatch seal, and fuel cap replaced under warranty. It went in to multiple dealerships to get the oil pump fixed, and FCA USA is complete shit to deal with. I also caught the POS dealer service people lying about check engine light codes, that was actually fun because I happened to be on the phone with Jeep Cares/FCA USA and he blasted the woman on speaker phone when she repeatedly lied.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:44:07 AM EDT
[#45]
I really like the way they look, but both people I know that own them have had issues, the internet is flooded with complaints.  Expensive with Shit resale and Shit reliability.. Get a 4runner or an explorer or highlander if you want a smoother ride.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:46:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Star Trek guy's Grand Cherokee's shitty gearbox killed him...

eta - also 4Runner
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:55:21 AM EDT
[#47]
A guy at work has one that is always in the shop. It lives up to the jeep reputation of being an unreliable piece of shit.

With any luck, hackers won't turn it into a remote control toy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:18:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
it's better than some gayer honda pilot
View Quote

No it's not. The Honda will go most if not all places a stock grand Cherokee will and last 2 or 3 times as long with a fraction of the problems.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:47:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Why? Just why? Get a 4runner and laugh at the jeep broke down.

After my 5 month nightmare with the wife's 2015 Dodge Dart finally being bought back I will NEVER own anything other than Honda and Toyota. Fuck Chrysler. Pieces of god damn shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top