Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Some people can train a dog and raise children.

And some can not.

And some people advise other people to exchange their untrained dogs for puppies, which wont be trained right either.

Da fck man, wat da fck
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Both of my nieces were nipped by our Jack Russel when they were young.  They were warned not to corner the dog after it went into the kennel.  The lived and learned a valuable lesson.  My sister laughed her ass off when they came crying.  Learning to respect animals and people are good things to know.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Myself, I am not at all comfortable with preexisting dogs
View Quote

Is there any other kind of dogs? Mine have always existed, even before I met them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 100lbs pit can be left alone with kids of all ages however he never has or will be because he is still a dog

View Quote

Yep, my BoP fucking loves little kids/babies and usually cuddles up next to them and sleeps with them all day I still watch him though just as you said, he's a dog
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#5]
My golden loves kids, he runs up to them and flops onto his back and they pile on top of him. He also lays outside the bedroom door when they go to sleep.

A picture of Ruger and my niece

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]
My current dog I am a little nervous with most people, he is getting older, is losing some of his sight, and he seems to geek a little with people who lean over him.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#7]
We got a German Shepard when Michael and Leslie were young. We had adopted Leslie she had cerebral palsy. Even as a puppy he knew she needed help. She should flop over on him grab him he never once growled or snapped. When he got older he became her guardian heaven help anyone other than family that got between him and Leslie. On more than one occasion he pinned someone to the wall who came between he and Leslie. He did more to help her self-esteem than my wife or I could. He gave her independence. With him by her side she was never afraid something that could not be said before he came into her life. Sadly she died July 1994 he passed Feb 1995. Major added so much joy to her life I am sitting here crying as I think about it.

I have 2 dogs today I would not leave either alone with young children.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Not with a Dane I wouldn't be worried.

Krash is 100% inside dog, unless we're playing of course. He would jump through a plate glass window to get out of my kids way before mumbling a warning. Much less a bite.

Our daughter when she was two, she was fixated with the white dot on his tail.

Here he is giving itches to my niece.

Daughters five now and they still play, she swore he was cold.

he slows waaayyyy down around our infant son, he knows his size and knows when to be delicate. Well socialized dog, been around every critter from babie kitty's to horses. I trust him completely. Training and respect are key. If a kid doesn't respect the animal bad things will happen, if you e done your job, the dog will know everything it needs to in its first year of life, a kid takes well. Longer.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
We have a big, old black lab.  I have no problem trusting it around my kids.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#10]
In the weeks before my kid was born my wife spent a ton of time with our dogs and they new that a new pup would be joining the pack. As soon as the kid popped out and was dried off we rubbed towels on her and used those towels as placemats under the dog's dinner bowls.  We kept doing this long after the kid came home so that the idea that the new pup and dinner were good things together stuck. We never had a problem with our dogs. Our oldest took to the kid so much that he would curl around her as a protector when she slept. Of course we also never left the mutts and the kid alone unattended until she was old enough to fend for herself with them.  It probably helps that we choose muffin dogs like Goldies, Rotts and Bernese Mountain Dogs for our pack and stay away from the more challenging breeds.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My in laws had a chow mix, and fed her in the kitchen.  My then 2 year old son walked by with no food out and was bit on his arm....not far from the face or eye when he went to protect himself by raising his arm....bite was totally unprovoked as I was a few feet away

The in laws tried to blame my son, as he should have known better at 24 months old....I had none of that

Final agreement was dog would receive a 9mm to the skull behind their barn if the dog did as much as nip at my child.   Wasn't ever an issue up until the dog got old and died on its own
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smaller dogs seem to be less tolerant of children IME.

Worst bites i have seen are from chows.

Evil damn dogs.

My in laws had a chow mix, and fed her in the kitchen.  My then 2 year old son walked by with no food out and was bit on his arm....not far from the face or eye when he went to protect himself by raising his arm....bite was totally unprovoked as I was a few feet away

The in laws tried to blame my son, as he should have known better at 24 months old....I had none of that

Final agreement was dog would receive a 9mm to the skull behind their barn if the dog did as much as nip at my child.   Wasn't ever an issue up until the dog got old and died on its own

My inlaws have had two chow-mix dogs over the years.  Both were complete and total sweeties.  You could not ask for better doggies.

Our last dog (r.i.p Ruby) loved almost everyone.  Our son would roll down the yard with her, and generally have fun.  Ruby loved it

The only people she did not like were the ups guy and one brother-in-law.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

NOPE!  It was from the very first time they met. No one could do anything to my dogs that I did not know about because they were always directly in my care or securely and safely locked in their kennel where no one could get to them...... let alone a 4 year old kid.

He just did not like the kid for reasons I still do not know. It's funny because it was just one kid out of the hundreds he met.

ETA: The first time they met in my living room they were about 6 feet apart and I knew in seconds that my dog wanted to hurt him. He didn't act out in a vicious manner but I knew that dog very well and he was definitely ready to hurt that kid. They met one other time and it was the same deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something else to consider. My previous male Rottweiler lived to be over 14 years old and in those 14 years he was an absolute stable rock around young children. He loved children and was gentle with them and so happy when he was around them.

EXCEPT FOR ONE little boy. There was one little boy that he DID NOT like and I think he would have bitten that kid if given the chance.  Again, in all his 14 years he NEVER acted out and loved every kid he came in contact with except that one kid.

I am not really sure what the problem was or why this was so but it was very apparent to me  and when this kid came around, the dog went under lock and key.

kid did something, dog didn't forget

NOPE!  It was from the very first time they met. No one could do anything to my dogs that I did not know about because they were always directly in my care or securely and safely locked in their kennel where no one could get to them...... let alone a 4 year old kid.

He just did not like the kid for reasons I still do not know. It's funny because it was just one kid out of the hundreds he met.

ETA: The first time they met in my living room they were about 6 feet apart and I knew in seconds that my dog wanted to hurt him. He didn't act out in a vicious manner but I knew that dog very well and he was definitely ready to hurt that kid. They met one other time and it was the same deal.

Check that kid's scalp for 666. Your dog knew there was something wrong with him.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#13]
My gf has a cavapoo, he is a cool little dog.  Smart as a whip, 2 years old.

My one cousin has two kids, one three and one just turn one last spring.  He is great with them, basically just follows them trying to figure out why they are bouncing off the walls.

My other cousin has a one year old and lives 5 hours away.  She repeatedly asks not to bring our dog when they come down and no events can take place at our house.  My mom had a birthday part for her and her twin sister (said cousin's mother) and sure enough gf (who had to work that night anyway) got a text to please not bring puppy.  Mom didn't know about it (party was at her house) and it ticked me off... so Roush came along.  Kid wanted to check out dog and cousin had a tantrum all night about the dog, it was comical.  She must have noticed Roush doesn't really care much about kids and just shops for a nice lap to sleep in... or her mom talked to her.  The next get-together was at our house, no text was sent and everybody was as cool as a cucumber and Roush got to sleep on his favorite spot on the back of the couch when he wasn't playing with the 3yo.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something else to consider. My previous male Rottweiler lived to be over 14 years old and in those 14 years he was an absolute stable rock around young children. He loved children and was gentle with them and so happy when he was around them.

EXCEPT FOR ONE little boy. There was one little boy that he DID NOT like and I think he would have bitten that kid if given the chance.  Again, in all his 14 years he NEVER acted out and loved every kid he came in contact with except that one kid.

I am not really sure what the problem was or why this was so but it was very apparent to me  and when this kid came around, the dog went under lock and key.

kid did something, dog didn't forget

is that kid now a serial killer?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Kids need training around dogs, just as dogs need training around kids.  I would bet that of the two (dogs and kids) that dog behavior is more predictable.  Most of the time I bet the kids did something to frighten or irritate the dog, and then had a response they didn't like.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Just like having people around my kids, depends on the people

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Evil damn dogs.

View Quote

It's natural, since children can hurt little dogs so easily. That's why it's so important to bring small breed puppies around children and carefully supervise interactions and train your dog how to act around babies. My little man knows that it's his job to be sweet to babies, but that's because he's been taught his job. I recently put down a rescue because she hadn't been trained or socialized and she was just a problem dog.

It's important for people who don't have their heads up their asses to crack down on their relatives who don't do right by their small breed puppies. Grandma needs to socialize fluffy or she needs to have her little pal taken away by her kids. Husbands need to confiscate their wives' yorkies and raise them right before giving them back.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sounds like the owners are pretty poor with initial discipline.  Never, ever just blow it off if your dog snaps.  I guarantee you, many times when they are alone with the dog your relatives casually say, "oh muffin..." and move on when the dogs act up.

Never let a dog get the last word.  That is, if they bark, or whine, whatever.  Dogs establish the alpha is the one who gets the last word.  The dogs act the way they do because the owners often don't have any bit of awareness of what the mixed messages they are sending.

Anyhow, pit bulls have no place in my home, that's a breed that could be eradicated and I would not care.
View Quote

Yup. Pom growled at me once as a new puppy. Put him on his back in my lap and held him there a few seconds and then went back to grooming him. Didn't take much, but he hasn't growled again, even when I hit a snag with the brush.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's natural, since children can hurt little dogs so easily. That's why it's so important to bring small breed puppies around children and carefully supervise interactions and train your dog how to act around babies. My little man knows that it's his job to be sweet to babies, but that's because he's been taught his job. I recently put down a rescue because she hadn't been trained or socialized and she was just a problem dog.

It's important for people who don't have their heads up their asses to crack down on their relatives who don't do right by their small breed puppies. Grandma needs to socialize fluffy or she needs to have her little pal taken away by her kids. Husbands need to confiscate their wives' yorkies and raise them right before giving them back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Evil damn dogs.

Quite often, my son will be used as a puppy socializer specifically because he is gentle and calm and provides a positive introduction to little people for puppies. Just as important as having the interaction is controlling the type of interaction the puppy has. We worked just as hard socializing him to dogs as we did socializing our dogs to people.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quite often, my son will be used as a puppy socializer specifically because he is gentle and calm and provides a positive introduction to little people for puppies. Just as important as having the interaction is controlling the type of interaction the puppy has. We worked just as hard socializing him to dogs as we did socializing our dogs to people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Evil damn dogs.

Yup. I would never leave my dog with children unsupervised. Not because I care about the children, but because I don't trust them around my poofball. It's worked well. I once had a baby just smack the crap out of him before I could pull him away, and the dog was just perfect. I'm glad it hasn't made him baby-shy, though.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Both dogs are biters, its an owner problem.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#22]
It really depends on the individual dog, how it was raised, and also the parents...really too many variables.

My friends had a  weimararner in the house they raised from a puppy when they had both their kids.

When the dog was a puppy, they got it used to doing all the things a kid would do..playing with the ears, its food, etc...basically annoying the piss out of the dog and getting it used to being annoyed.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yup. I would never leave my dog with children unsupervised. Not because I care about the children, but because I don't trust them around my poofball. It's worked well. I once had a baby just smack the crap out of him before I could pull him away, and the dog was just perfect. I'm glad it hasn't made him baby-shy, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back when he was very little, I would hold my son's arm/wrist area and gently stroke his hand down the side of a dog's neck or shoulder or back after letting the dog sniff his little fist. In that way, I could maintain control over my son's movements to ensure no smacking happened while simultaneously demonstrating the right way to let a dog. We worked on this at home and with friendly, socialized show dogs. If he did manage to grab hair, I held his hand firmly in place until he let go so he could not pull the hair and hurt the dog. I understand that dogs should be tolerant of such behavior from a baby, but the shouldn't have to be subjected to it in the first place, because an adult should always be firmly in control of the situation to prevent both the child and the dog from being hurt.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Back when he was very little, I would hold my son's arm/wrist area and gently stroke his hand down the side of a dog's neck or shoulder or back after letting the dog sniff his little fist. In that way, I could maintain control over my son's movements to ensure no smacking happened while simultaneously demonstrating the right way to let a dog. We worked on this at home and with friendly, socialized show dogs. If he did manage to grab hair, I held his hand firmly in place until he let go so he could not pull the hair and hurt the dog. I understand that dogs should be tolerant of such behavior from a baby, but the shouldn't have to be subjected to it in the first place, because an adult should always be firmly in control of the situation to prevent both the child and the dog from being hurt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, I should have maintained better control of the little booger eater. Good thing my poofer is so rough and tough.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You're right, I should have maintained better control of the little booger eater. Good thing my poofer is so rough and tough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He does sound like a sweetie.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm not a pitbull enthusiast, that allows me the ability to not worry about these types of things.

She even keeps herself between the kids and the water when the kids start running around the pool. She'll jump in and pull them to the ladder if they yell for help. She would absolutely destroy anyone that would try to hurt her kids, especially our adopted niece.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#27]
My second cousin got seriously hurt by a german Shepard at a young age. Ever since I get worried about dogs around kids, even my own dog, who has never even hinted at being aggressive towards anybody. I guess I have that experience which biased me more towards being overly cautious. That dog really hurt her, and 20 years later she still has bad scars from it. Bit her face, she had several surgeries to fix it. They basically had to sew her cheek and chin back together.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My second cousin got seriously hurt by a german Shepard at a young age. Ever since I get worried about dogs around kids, even my own dog, who has never even hinted at being aggressive towards anybody. I guess I have that experience which biased me more towards being overly cautious. That dog really hurt her, and 20 years later she still has bad scars from it. Bit her face, she had several surgeries to fix it. They basically had to sew her cheek and chin back together.
View Quote

It happens, and it can happen with any breed or mix, no matter how much people try to convince themselves otherwise. I have a scar just below my left eyebrow from a Golden Retriever. I'm lucky I didn't lose the eye.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#29]
my lab was always great with my son,she was very protective of him and gentle with him but I would never leave them alone.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:14:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last time we were on a plane, I used him to entertain a screaming toddler. Kid forgot to be unhappy and just played peekaboo with the puppy. I wish the curmudgeons who hate ESAs would just give my mutt a chance. He makes everything nicer wherever he goes and he's never once peed in Home Depot.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:17:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm not a pitbull enthusiast, that allows me the ability to not worry about these types of things.

<a href="http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/tmann1990/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141017_083709_zpsay2muexx.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w463/tmann1990/Mobile%20Uploads/20141017_083709_zpsay2muexx.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/tmann1990/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150626_131530_zpsnqsfb8ag.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w463/tmann1990/Mobile%20Uploads/20150626_131530_zpsnqsfb8ag.jpg</a>

She even keeps herself between the kids and the water when the kids start running around the pool. She'll jump in and pull them to the ladder if they yell for help. She would absolutely destroy anyone that would try to hurt her kids, especially our adopted niece.
View Quote

I'm not saying you should worry about your dog, who looks like a wonderful creature, but it's silly to say you're exempt from worry because of breed selection.

Before pits became a thing, the news stories were about German shepherds and dobermans eating the new baby and taking off toddlers noses.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:11:39 AM EDT
[#32]
I trust my dogs. Children are still supervised for both their sakes.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top