Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/26/2016 12:54:38 PM EDT
Myself, I am not at all comfortable with preexisting dogs, ESPECIALLY inside dogs, around new  children. I never had any animals around my kids, until they were older, like 5-6 years old at least.  then they were brought into the home as puppies, and they grew up, knowing their place in the home.  when I was a kid we had a big assed GSD, that was a puppy when I was around 10, he grew up knowing where his place was in the family, and he would absolutely not bite a family member for anything... but would eat a stranger if they even acted threatening.

anyway... some relatives have a couple of dogs they have had for years, ( a short weiner dog sized dog mix, and a put bull ).. the putbull has snapped at several people, as has the smaller dog. this couple had children, and now they are 2-3 years old.  we have advised them multiple times to get rid of those dogs.. and later, after the kids are older, replace them, with puppies who are more likely to grow into the home / knowing their place. of course they refused, because " our dogs would never bite "etc

well guess what?  a few days ago, the smaller dog bit the 2 year old daughter in the face, leaving a nice cut approx. 1 inch long, several puncture marks and a bunch of scratches. not to mention a ton of blood everywhere, and a terrified toddler screaming and crying..  the cut missed her eye by about 2 inches.

so, they moved the smaller dog to another relatives house, likely permanently, but they kept the pit bull.  IMHO, thousands of hours of joy you might get from owning a dog, is not worth even the chance they might one day attack your very young kids. I could not imagine the guilt I would feel if my dog, blinded or scarred my kid for life by biting them in the face.

where do you guys stand?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Dogs seem to make safer pets than rattlesnakes.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#2]
My 100lbs pit can be left alone with kids of all ages however he never has or will be because he is still a dog

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a lab mix that was around before my kids.  She bonded with my oldest and they've been tight for 8 years now.  Never an issue.  Dachshund's are notoriously bad with children.  I wouldn't expect the pitt to be a problem, unless you've seen something to indicate otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#4]
We have a 12month old daughter....and even though both of our dogs have been around for years, and are very good natured....they are still dogs.  I don't trust them around my daughter unless I'm close by.  They are big dogs, and it wouldn't take anything for them to really hurt her.....not that I think they would, but I'm not going to be my daughter on that.

Until she's bigger....she gets supervised around the dogs.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Dogs are dogs and children are stupid.

Frequently the children are stupid because their parent(s) are also stupid.

Results typically include kids getting bit and adults looking for something to blame other than their trailer house parenting skills.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 100lbs pit can be left alone with kids of all ages however he never has or will be because he is still a dog

View Quote

This.  They are still dogs....they can snap just like people can. Small chance I'm sure, but not worth a child's life.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#7]
In this case, the pit bull might be safer. People let little dogs get away with crap, because normally they can't hurt adults. Larger dogs get less slack, so are often better behaved.

ETA: If the pit bull has "snapped at people" (tried to bite people) then I wouldn't have that one around either.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I think this would have to be a case-by-case decision.  Yes, dogs are dogs, but I couldn't imagine tossing my dog to the curb simply because I had kids.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#9]
my 89 pound golden retriever will guard any child with his life. you should never leave a small child unsupervised period. end of discussion
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Anything with a mouth can bite - dog, cat, horse, snake... does not matter.

A small child should never be left unsupervised with an animal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#12]
WHat is it with chihuahuas? Some guy is walking it down the street past me working on my car and the dumbass dog starts to growl thinking I'm invading ITS territory.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Smaller dogs seem to be less tolerant of children IME.

Worst bites i have seen are from chows.

Evil damn dogs.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like the owners are pretty poor with initial discipline.  Never, ever just blow it off if your dog snaps.  I guarantee you, many times when they are alone with the dog your relatives casually say, "oh muffin..." and move on when the dogs act up.

Never let a dog get the last word.  That is, if they bark, or whine, whatever.  Dogs establish the alpha is the one who gets the last word.  The dogs act the way they do because the owners often don't have any bit of awareness of what the mixed messages they are sending.

Anyhow, pit bulls have no place in my home, that's a breed that could be eradicated and I would not care.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Depends on the individual canine and it's owner/master.

Dogs with weak nerve and a skittish personality should not be around young children in any context.

I have seen canines  that were very good and tolerant of all the BS young children can inflict on them and I have seen some that were made extremely uncomfortable  around young children.

Whatever the case, young children should NEVER  be left alone with any canine under any circumstance.

I raised my children around some high drive dominant Rottweilers and never had a problem..... they were NEVER left alone with the dogs until they were in their late teens.

All the canines I have owned had an affinity for children and loved them but I still never left them alone with them..... and by that I mean I did not go into the next room and leave them alone. It was eyes on 24/7 and if I could not do that, they went in the kennel.

So, some canines are trustworthy and some are not.

If a canine shows ANY discomfort around a child they should not be put together under any circumstances.  A child can be scarred or worse in a matter of SECONDS and it just isn't worth the risk.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Depends on the dog, looks like the warning signs were there for both dogs in your case.

Our dog is a big softy, she lets the kids get away with anything, but I still watch her around them as much as possible (and I never leave the one year old alone with the dog).

She has only "snapped" once - she wasn't feeling good (liquid poop) and our 4 year old wouldn't leave her alone so she barked and did a warning bite near daughter's face. Daughter ran to me crying saying that the dog bit her, luckily it was all on security camera and I was able to show her exactly what happened, we looked at the video and I explained the dog's body language to her - tail between the legs, crouched walk trying to get away - and she understood she had scared the dog and is more careful now about looking for when the dog doesn't want to play.
View Quote

This is a great lesson.  Dogs rarely ever just "snap"; they have some pretty obvious body language that people need to be aware of.  Kids shouldn't be left alone with animals because they can't easily recognize this language.  Once they are old enough to know, however, they should be responsible for their own actions.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#17]
If both dogs have previously snapped at people, it sounds like an owner problem. That problem will still exist even if they get rid of their current dogs and start over with new ones, because the owners will make the same mistakes that led to the current dogs' behavior.

As to how I feel about pre-existing dogs and kids, it works just fine if the dogs and kids are properly trained and supervised. The red dog was 10 and the white dog was 6 when we had our son. They both adored him, and he was always very gentle with them. Manners and training and supervision.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#18]
It seems like small dogs are little nippy shits for the most part.

My GSD is fine around my niece and nephew.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Depends on the dog, depends on the owner...

YMMV, but smaller dogs IMO are a bit more nippy.  It depends on how well the dog is socialized into the family, how the family has taught the kids to interact with the dogs and any history the dog has.

My middle son was nipped my a small dog when he tried to treat it like he does our GSD...

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#20]
My dog? No problems. My dog knows his role in the pack and that role is to protect other pack members.

NOW this is the law of the jungle, as old and as true as the sky,
And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.

As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk, the law runneth forward and back;
For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, dogs are animals, they should be supervised around children. And children should be taught how to treat animals.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#22]
A properly trained dog doesn't bite. Mine weren't raised around kids and whenever a friend brings a kid over they behave perfectly around them. My buddy's 14 month old even pulled on their tails and ears with zero reaction from the dogs. It's all how you raise them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Something else to consider. My previous male Rottweiler lived to be over 14 years old and in those 14 years he was an absolute stable rock around young children. He loved children and was gentle with them and so happy when he was around them.

EXCEPT FOR ONE little boy. There was one little boy that he DID NOT like and I think he would have bitten that kid if given the chance.  Again, in all his 14 years he NEVER acted out and loved every kid he came in contact with except that one kid.

I am not really sure what the problem was or why this was so but it was very apparent to me  and when this kid came around, the dog went under lock and key.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In this case, the pit bull might be safer. People let little dogs get away with crap, because normally they can't hurt adults. Larger dogs get less slack, so are often better behaved.

ETA: If the pit bull has "snapped at people" (tried to bite people) then I wouldn't have that one around either.
View Quote

Dachshunds are known to be aggressive and bite, but people typically ignore the behavior because they are small. my sister in laws dachshund bit my wife at Christmas and they told me wife "he was just scared". my dogs are 50lbs and 80lbs. Any small bit of aggression was trained out of then young.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Something else to consider. My previous male Rottweiler lived to be over 14 years old and in those 14 years he was an absolute stable rock around young children. He loved children and was gentle with them and so happy when he was around them.

EXCEPT FOR ONE little boy. There was one little boy that he DID NOT like and I think he would have bitten that kid if given the chance.  Again, in all his 14 years he NEVER acted out and loved every kid he came in contact with except that one kid.

I am not really sure what the problem was or why this was so but it was very apparent to me  and when this kid came around, the dog went under lock and key.
View Quote

Mine kept growling at a rear neighbor kid. Couldn't figure it out. Until one day I saw the kid jabbing at them with a stick through the fence. It was pretty funny hearing his dad beat his ass after I told him what I saw.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#26]
We leave the kids alone with this killer:

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Mine kept growling at a rear neighbor kid. Couldn't figure it out. Until one day I saw the kid jabbing at them with a stick through the fence. It was pretty funny hearing his dad beat his ass after I told him what I saw.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That'll do it for sure.  In the case with the little boy and my dog though,  that kid never did anything to my dog. From the first time they met, I could tell my dog did not like him. It was kind of funny because every other kid he met he loved.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Dachshunds are known to be aggressive and bite, but people typically ignore the behavior because they are small. my sister in laws dachshund bit my wife at Christmas and they told me wife "he was just scared". my dogs are 50lbs and 80lbs. Any small bit of aggression was trained out of then young.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree that people let little dogs get away with a ton of stuff considered to be appallingly bad behavior in a larger dog. I don't tolerate bad behavior, no matter the size of the dog.

My SIL's dachshund won't let anyone outside of my family (me, my husband, and my son) touch her belly. Not even her owner. And I was told she would bite if I tried to pet her belly. I said, "not me, she won't," and set about simple, basic training without tolerating her shenanigans. Within 30 minutes, Olive had determined that I was in charge and that was that, and then I incorporated my son into the training. That went quicker, because she already understood her shenanigans wouldn't be tolerated. And all my husband had to do was give her a stern look and the "no" command once after all that, and he was good to go. Olive still bites anyone else who touches her belly, and her owner thinks it's funny, but she won't try it with us.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I've personally had several golden retrievers, and have been around more than I could count.  I've never met a single golden retriever that could hurt a kid, aside from knocking them down to lick their faces.

Several vets have told me if I ever have an aggressive golden they most likely have some medical issues, most likely a brain tumor.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I lock my pit in a cage with my 2 week old all day and nothing happens. They are a breed of peace, besides how do you even know it's a pit without DNA testing????
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I am constantly amazed at how attached people get to dogs.  It's a freaking dog, if there's an question at all get ride of it.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've personally had several golden retrievers, and have been around more than I could count.  I've never met a single golden retriever that could hurt a kid, aside from knocking them down to lick their faces.

Several vets have told me if I ever have an aggressive golden they most likely have some medical issues, most likely a brain tumor.
View Quote

There are more than a few "aggressive" Goldens out there and they all don't have brain tumors. Just say'in , you take canines one at a time. They are individuals.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am constantly amazed at how attached people get to dogs.  It's a freaking dog, if there's an question at all get ride of it.  
View Quote

If you feel that way don't get one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Dogs have different temperaments. I had a mean bastard of a Great Dane who was very protective of my daughter. I learned never to leave him alone with her when I found her holding him by the ear and jamming a bic pen in there trying to scramble his eggs. My current Great Dane gets upset if she is playing with me and I accidentally sick my hand in her mouth while she is play snapping at me. On the other hand, I had a German Shepherd who was so timid that when my daughter was learning how to walk, she fell and lightly rested her hand on his back when he was sleeping and he snapped at her and bit her. He went away and no more timid dogs.

I would also point out that snapping at and attacking are two very different things. Neither is good, but a startled dog snapping or a dog nipping a child that is hurting it are very different from a dog actually attacking a child.

Kids and dogs roughhouse, and sometimes get hurt. A little common sense goes a long way in both avoiding the problems, and when reacting appropriately.

When I was a kid, a friends younger brother ran up and grabbed the neighbor's dog's tail and yanked the hell out of it, the dog yelped and nipped the kid. The kid went crying to his dad who said "I guess you learned something about pulling a dog's tail."
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Very comfortable.

My girls were raised to treat dogs as pets but as animals first.  They know that dogs are not big life-like stuffed animals and so avoid the kinds of behaviors that tend to get people bitten.

They keep their faces away from a dog's face/head, they don't bother them or mess with their food when they eat, etc.

They know the warning signs, understand the basic pack mentality, and know how to treat new/strange dogs properly.

These things are simple common sense and while they won't stop every possible bite/attack scenario they will prevent the vast majority of them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Little kids can more easily hurt smaller dogs and little dogs would probably be more defensive and/or scared than big dogs because they are indeed smaller and easier to hurt.

I wouldn't leave little kids alone with a dog.

In before the blood orgy brigade.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#37]
My golden ADORES children.  We have caught our friends' kids just poking and prodding at her non-stop and she just sits there happy as a clam.  I'd be more concerned about her accidentally bowling a kid over or smothering it than attacking it.  Our husk/weim mix is totally fine around kids but isn't a huge fan overall, he gives them space after an initial eval and leaves them alone.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I had a pit for a while with small kids, she was extremely tolerant with them, over the course of about a year though she started to get rough. A minor nip occurred but did break the skin and thats all it took, dogs gone. Won't have another around kids. Now a wiener dog, German Shepard or golden retriever is a go though. Just not right now, I'd be the one taking care of it, like the last one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
In all seriousness, my Golden has more patience with my kid then I do.  Him trying to play fetch with her resulted in countless balls being thrown right at his feet, which she would dutifully retrieve and hand back.  Hours upon hours upon hours of this.  

I agree with others that small dogs are often allowed to get away with bad behavior, and that it's purely an owner problem.  Indeed, most all dog problems are owner problems.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Male Scotty loved the kids.
Female Scotty hated kids.
Female Scotty had to go.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#41]
My sister had a Rottweiler/Doberman mix. It was mentally unstable and I told her that when she bought it. Fucker used to go after my daughter like she was a piece of meat. Then it went and attacker her husband and tore his arm up. They did nothing about it. Then it turned around and tore up her husband's father's arm. Still did nothing about it. Then it went and tore up my father in law's arm. They still refused to do anything about it. Then while out walking it it went after another dog and tore it to pieces in front of it's owner. They muzzled the beast when out walking it. I kept telling them it should've been tied to a tree and shot. But nope, I was an asshole for suggesting something like that. Then she went and got pregnant and had a baby. A week after her daughter was born the dog was no where to be found. They had it put to sleep.

But the entire time it was trying to kill everyone they did nothing. As soon as there was a possibility it'd kill their daughter, it was put to sleep.

I don't mind dogs. But I keep them at arms length.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Smaller dogs seem to be less tolerant of children IME.

Worst bites i have seen are from chows.

Evil damn dogs.

View Quote

My in laws had a chow mix, and fed her in the kitchen.  My then 2 year old son walked by with no food out and was bit on his arm....not far from the face or eye when he went to protect himself by raising his arm....bite was totally unprovoked as I was a few feet away

The in laws tried to blame my son, as he should have known better at 24 months old....I had none of that

Final agreement was dog would receive a 9mm to the skull behind their barn if the dog did as much as nip at my child.   Wasn't ever an issue up until the dog got old and died on its own
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#43]
our two boys would maul our dogs repeatedly, no issues ever
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

kid did something, dog didn't forget
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NOPE!  It was from the very first time they met. No one could do anything to my dogs that I did not know about because they were always directly in my care or securely and safely locked in their kennel where no one could get to them...... let alone a 4 year old kid.

He just did not like the kid for reasons I still do not know. It's funny because it was just one kid out of the hundreds he met.

ETA: The first time they met in my living room they were about 6 feet apart and I knew in seconds that my dog wanted to hurt him. He didn't act out in a vicious manner but I knew that dog very well and he was definitely ready to hurt that kid. They met one other time and it was the same deal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#46]
people cry to much if a kid gets nipped by a dog
its just the dog telling the kid to back off a bit
teach your children well
don't mess with a strange dog no matter how rough and tumble you are with your own dog
keep your face away from theirs
dont try to take their bone,chew toys,or food dish away
etc etc
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Depends on the dog and the kid.

Some dogs will let the kid romp on them, and seem to understand that kids are just human puppies.  Even then, the dog may try to correct the kid in a way that's not compatible with human desires.

Some kids will beat on a dog like it's a stuffed animal, and the dog may react well, poorly or violently.

So, observe and evaluate, but never trust either the kid or the dog to not start a fight. A dog may or may not win the fight with the kid, but the dog will always lose in the end.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
A properly trained dog doesn't bite. Mine weren't raised around kids and whenever a friend brings a kid over they behave perfectly around them. My buddy's 14 month old even pulled on their tails and ears with zero reaction from the dogs. It's all how you raise them.
View Quote

That's how my 4 year old German Wirehair Pointer is.  The most aggression she has ever shown to anything was once she showed her teeth to a puppy that was really pissing her off by biting her ears.  This was after a tough day of hunting and she really just wanted a nap.  Normally she would just dive in and start playing.  Around kids she lets them do anything to her.

However, when she gets excited she gets bouncy and doesn't always look where she is going.  She can (and has) knocked a kids over.  Therefore, she is supervised around kids.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I have about 95% confidence that 'Keno' would never bite a youngster.BUT.......that 5% possibility keeps me from letting small kids around her unsupervised.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#50]
You have to know both the dog AND kid.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top