Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I much prefer steel cut to rolled oats.  I usually cook a weeks worth in the rice cooker and divide into single serving containers and throw in the fridge.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Steel cut oats and rolled oats (also called old-fashioned oats) are processed differently.

Steel cut oats are chopped up.  That's it.  They are the most minimally processed oats.  They take the longest to cook.

I eat them everyday, but they take so long to cook that I put them in an automatic rice cooker so they get done with out me having to mess with them.  The rice maker is mad

Rolled oats are not cut.  They are rolled thin and then steamed.  Because they are steamed, they cook faster.

So Rolled oats are more processed.

Oatmeal has both soluble and insoluble fiber.  When you process them, you lose one or the other or both and I can't remeber which but since you have access to the internet you can look it up.  Steel cut oats have a lot more fiber than rolled or instant oats and that is the key to them being better.

Steel cut oats take LONGER to digest in the stomach than rolled oats or instant oats.  This is good because it lowers the glycemic index of steel cut oats over rolled or instant oats.  

Steel cut oats taste better.  They have a slightly nuttier taste and a better texture than rolled oats.

I make steel cut oats in the rice cooker by the following recipe.

1.  1/2 cup steel cut oats.
2. 1 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened.  Vanilla or regular are both good.  You could use regular milk.
3. 1 to 1 1/2 cup water.  Adjust to what you like for thickness.

Cook in Zojurushi rice maker set to Porridge setting.  (Zojurushi is a made in Japan Induction model and cooks rice, oatmeal, bulghur, etc automatically to perfection.  You can set a timer and it starts automatically too, although I wouldn't leave milk or other pershibable items in it for long.)

4.  Rice maker takes an hour to make oatmeal.
5.  When done, Put two table spoons of ground flax seed, 1/4 to 3/8 teaspoon of cinammon, some grated fresh ginger, a touch of all spice, 1/2 bananna, some wild blue berries (krogers has them in the frozen section), some chopped walnuts or pecans.
6.  Stir.

This will make enough for two people.  Try it out until you perfect it.  You can add salt to taste, but I find it doesn't need it.

Once you get it perfected, you can tell your barista friend that you made steel cut oats.  Be sure to tell her that the cinammon you used is real cinamon from Sri Lanka (Ceylon) not the Chinese Cassia that they pass off as Cinamon.  This will light her fire.  Do not tell her that steel cut oats take longer to digest.  

Invite her out to dinner.  If she stays, serve her oatmeal, but make sure you have some eggs around. You will need the protein.  Hopefully.
View Quote

Jeezus, dude.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I laugh everytime I hear the word "barista." Can we have a hip and trendy cool sounding word for the kid who flips burgers too?
View Quote

I'm surprised they haven't co-opted burgermeister.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

YOU THINK I GIVE A FUCK THINK AGAIN THIS IS MERICA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The word barista is an Italian word, and in Italy, a barista is a male or female "bartender", who typically works behind a counter, serving hot drinks (such as espresso), cold alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, and snacks.

GD's ignorance is astounding sometimes.

Do you order chicken noodles with cheese sauce or chicken alfredo at Italian restaurants?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Because a coffee shop is the best place for dietary advice.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
The word barista is an Italian word, and in Italy, a barista is a male or female "bartender", who typically works behind a counter, serving hot drinks (such as espresso), cold alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, and snacks.

Is this Italy, mother fucker?

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Do you order chicken noodles with cheese sauce or chicken alfredo at Italian restaurants?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just point to the item on the menu.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It might matter, if you're a barista.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean the employee at the shop that sells the product was trying to talk you into buying the product?

You're right, that's so strange and out of character for employees.

Let's make fun of that employee's job title, that'll make it better!

Are you a barista?

Does it matter?   I actually sign my emails with "JSLJO", since my boss is the "SLJO".

It might matter, if you're a barista.

It doesn't matter at all.

For the record, I've never worked in a shop where I made coffee.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flatbread with tomato sauce, cheese, and spicy red sausage slices for me please!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I laugh everytime I hear the word "barista." Can we have a hip and trendy cool sounding word for the kid who flips burgers too?
View Quote
so are you a sanitation engineer?

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so you address your italian restaurant waiter as signor?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

She said steel cut oats were better for me because they're easier to digest.

Huh?

What does steel cutting them do for digestion?

4.00 for a little cup of oatmeal. I told her the oatmeal in the cylinder at the store was only .99. It looks the same.
View Quote

Oats are horse food.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Flatbread with tomato sauce, cheese, and spicy red sausage slices for me please!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can we start calling the garbage man a "spazzino"?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#17]
burger oscillation technician looks good on a resume for Dairy Queen
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But have you worked in grill control? That's the real question. I myself worked as a fry vat operator, and then became a plate arrangement coordinator. I later moved out to the floor to try my hand as a purveyor of cuisine/ menu consultant.
View Quote

The best I can say right now is "Junior Shitty Little Jobs Officer", which is my current title (unofficial - notional).
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

She'll telling you how clean her pooper is.......give it the thumb probe just in case.
View Quote

Sounds more like she expects him to tongue punch her pooper

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Barista is probably one of those Hippie, alternative chicks that paints her hair and has more metal in her mouth and tongue than most modern automobiles.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

"Assistant Contingency Coordinations Director" sounds better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But have you worked in grill control? That's the real question. I myself worked as a fry vat operator, and then became a plate arrangement coordinator. I later moved out to the floor to try my hand as a purveyor of cuisine/ menu consultant.

The best I can say right now is "Junior Shitty Little Jobs Officer", which is my current title (unofficial - notional).

But that would make my boss the "CCD" which he isn't...  he's the SLJO.   I have to play off what I have.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

(Ham)burgerista!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Patty Smacker
Seared Bovine Handler
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

In this case, it's sort of like calling the burger flipper a chef. For a looooong time baristi in Italy were (and still are) artisan craftsmen.

Hell, they hold baristi competitions for the truly skilled and talented.

Now you only need a facial piercing and a job application to Starbucks to get the title.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Jeezus, dude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steel cut oats and rolled oats (also called old-fashioned oats) are processed differently.

Steel cut oats are chopped up.  That's it.  They are the most minimally processed oats.  They take the longest to cook.

I eat them everyday, but they take so long to cook that I put them in an automatic rice cooker so they get done with out me having to mess with them.  The rice maker is mad

Rolled oats are not cut.  They are rolled thin and then steamed.  Because they are steamed, they cook faster.

So Rolled oats are more processed.

Oatmeal has both soluble and insoluble fiber.  When you process them, you lose one or the other or both and I can't remeber which but since you have access to the internet you can look it up.  Steel cut oats have a lot more fiber than rolled or instant oats and that is the key to them being better.
<snip>

Jeezus, dude.

It's also wrong.

http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/old-fashioned-oats.aspx

http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/quick-oats.aspx

http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/steel-cut-oats.aspx
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
She thinks you have a weak stomach.

Digest her to show dominance.
View Quote

ROFL
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Had they been around in the 50s that person would have been known as a Coffee Jerk.....Or most likely just a Soda Jerk as nobody would pay more than .10 for a cup of coffee because peeps had common sense back then.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except burgermeister translates most closely to "Mayor" rather than "burger flipper."
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Role Models, fantastic movie. Touches on Starbucks in the best way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS_PzfpKLYU
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Garcon means boy....
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I address them by name.
You know, because they introduce themselves when they arrive at your table.  

You seem emotional.
Menopause perhaps?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

He needs to change his title as well. He can be the DCC, Director Contingency Coordinations (pronounced "Deck", because snazzy acronyms that make cool sounds are even better than made up titles).
You can be the ADCC ("A Deck", because, again, sounds cool).
All you have to do is change the cards, letterhead, and signs on doors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But that would make my boss the "CCD" which he isn't...  he's the SLJO.   I have to play off what I have.

He needs to change his title as well. He can be the DCC, Director Contingency Coordinations (pronounced "Deck", because snazzy acronyms that make cool sounds are even better than made up titles).
You can be the ADCC ("A Deck", because, again, sounds cool).
All you have to do is change the cards, letterhead, and signs on doors.

You have ambition and vision.

You're hired.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Burgurster?

Flipista?

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I address them by name.
You know, because they introduce themselves when they arrive at your table.  

You seem emotional.
Menopause perhaps?
View Quote

I'm just still mad about harambe
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#38]
"Please just shut up and hand me my venti, coffee wench."
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Grill master.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Publicity consultant?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have ambition and vision.

You're hired.

Publicity consultant?

There's no helping my public image.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
She said steel cut oats were better for me because they're easier to digest.

Huh?

What does steel cutting them do for digestion?

4.00 for a little cup of oatmeal. I told her the oatmeal in the cylinder at the store was only .99. It looks the same.
View Quote

Stone ground oats do have bits of stone in them.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I laugh every time I go to Starbucks and order something in Venti size, but I say 20oz in stead.

Some of them act like they can't proceed until I say "Venti"

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Garcon means boy....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Garcon means boy....

I love you, hunny-bunny
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Ohhh the Steel Oat Union.

my wife is a member. they believe in the trueness and faith of the Steel Cut Oat.

think "Crossfitters" of the oatmeal world.
View Quote
Does she feel compelled to always talk about steel cut oats?  Tell her that the rules should be more like fight club rules.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Accurate.  But misses the point.  Steel cut take longer to digest which lowers the glycemic index which is important to some people.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
steel cut, the groat is cut into three instead of flakes rolled flat.

no measurable nutritional superiority
Accurate.  But misses the point.  Steel cut take longer to digest which lowers the glycemic index which is important to some people.

if lowering the glycemic index is important to you it's probably better to avoid that food in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
  Oats are horse food.
View Quote

And, not even good horse feed.  We used to only feed oats to the horses we didn't like.  The ones that did work got better feed.z
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

steel cut, the groat is cut into three instead of flakes rolled flat.

no measurable nutritional superiority

View Quote
Steel cut can be used in the crock pot over night to make oatmeal.

Makes for better oatmeal in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm fighting my way up the ladder to pepperoni wizard
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's what you call getting paid with prestige.........sorry dude, no raise today , but you have been promoted to pizzaologist.

I'm fighting my way up the ladder to pepperoni wizard

No shame in that.  Pepperoni is second only to bacon.  We all appreciate your good work.z
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Cream of Wheat FTW
View Quote

Excellent delivery medium for brown sugar and butter.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What does an art history women's studies major know about the GI system?

View Quote

FIFY
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top