Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2016 10:40:45 AM EDT
News link

A Texas sheriff's deputy was shot and killed at his home north of Austin before dawn on Monday in what authorities said appeared to be an attempted robbery.

Sgt. Craig Hutchinson of the Travis County Sheriff's office used his police radio around 1:30 a.m. to report people were in his backyard. Investigators arriving moments later discovered Hutchinson's body in his backyard in Round Rock, about 15 miles from Austin.

Travis County Sheriff Greg Hamilton said at a news conference that no arrests have been made but that authorities are seeking multiple suspects. He said there had been reports of robberies in the area and that there was evidence the incident was an attempted robbery of Hutchinson's backyard shed, rather than an ambush targeting him as a law enforcement officer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Very fucked up.

But this will be the first shed robbery in history the police will be really interested in solving.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#3]
He was a great guy. So sad to see him gone. RIP Hutch.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Set up?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Set up?
View Quote

They don't think so right now.  Just some shitheads stealing stuff who were willing to kill when confronted.    

This also reinforces why you don't go outside alone to confront unknowns, especially when you already have back up on the way.  

If I had to guess, he probably assumed they were unarmed shitheads and got surprised.  

Sad situation.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#6]
NEVER get out of the boat...

RIP Officer
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Man, that sucks.

Sounds like he walked into something he thought he could handle.

I can't say I wouldn't have done the same, even though I know it's not the best thing to do.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can't say I wouldn't have done the same, even though I know it's not the best thing to do.
View Quote

Probably just habit/training.  

He's a cop, sees someone doing something illegal, so he moves to confront.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They don't think so right now.  Just some shitheads stealing stuff who were willing to kill when confronted.    

This also reinforces why you don't go outside alone to confront unknowns, especially when you already have back up on the way.  

If I had to guess, he probably assumed they were unarmed shitheads and got surprised.  

Sad situation.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Set up?

Sad situation.  

Very sad....would imagine one of the shitheads will turn on the others now that they know what they've done.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn . RIP

For some reason it smells like a set up to me. I hope I'm wrong. Looks like the officer was known for solving some burglaries. He used his work radio to call it in, so I'm guessing he lived in the jurisdiction he worked. Sounds like he probably got some people locked up and their "Boys" set him up there.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Man, that sucks.

Sounds like he walked into something he thought he could handle.

View Quote

Yep...would have done the same...have done the same...
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Dammit Craig.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Damn, even radioed it in. Should have hunkered down and waited for backup. RIP.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

honestly, most of us probably would've gone out there to check on that kinda shit....

sucks, man...
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Very fucked up.

But this will be the first shed robbery in history the police will be really interested in solving.

View Quote

You are a very funny guy.  Craig was one of us,  he was big into competition and guns. That "shed" was  his workshop, it did not contain flower pots and a lawnmower.  If you've been to a match in central Texas you probably have met him. I've done several gun deals with him over the years.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you've been to a match in central Texas you probably have met him.
View Quote

I didn't recognize the name, so I went hunting for a picture.  He looks vaguely familiar, but I don't know if I ever had the pleasure.

The matches I shoot may have been a little too far north for him to participate in anyway, so he could just remind me of someone else.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm glad to hear they shut down I35SB for the procession to carry his body to the ME in Austin.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I didn't recognize the name, so I went hunting for a picture.  He looks vaguely familiar, but I don't know if I ever had the pleasure.

The matches I shoot may have been a little too far north for him to participate in anyway, so he could just remind me of someone else.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would know him, he's usually the biggest guy at the range. I'm 6'3" and he made me look small.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You would know him, he's usually the biggest guy at the range. I'm 6'3" and he made me look small.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Damn . RIP

For some reason it smells like a set up to me. I hope I'm wrong. Looks like the officer was known for solving some burglaries. He used his work radio to call it in, so I'm guessing he lived in the jurisdiction he worked. Sounds like he probably got some people locked up and their "Boys" set him up there.

View Quote

Just drove past on my way into work. Cop cars and news vans all along Old McNeil. Probably 100 cars.

This is a pretty nice upper middle class neighborhood in Round Rock, so he definitely worked and lived in the community.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Damn . RIP

View Quote

I hate to say it, but the other possibility is suicide
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

honestly, most of us probably would've gone out there to check on that kinda shit....

sucks, man...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sucks, man...

Yep.  And 99.9% of the shitheads who break into sheds will run like hell if you turn on a light or go outside.  Pretty rare to find a petty thief who wants to go violent.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You are a very funny guy.  Craig was one of us,  he was big into competition and guns. That "shed" was  his workshop, it did not contain flower pots and a lawnmower.  If you've been to a match in central Texas you probably have met him. I've done several gun deals with him over the years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very fucked up.

Not trying to be funny. It is a sad fact that LE is often very uninterested in pursuing and solving robberies of out buildings and burglaries when the residents are not home. Then those robbers come across somebody and things turn really bad as they did here.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#27]
RIP officer
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn . RIP

It was not suicide.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Dammit Craig.
View Quote

I'm with 2 guys right now that have known him for 30 years
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#30]
RIP.

The area thieving is being done by murderers.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#31]
This is why I support being able to shoot thieves on site caught in the act.  Who knows what deadly weapons they may be carrying or how desperate they are.

God bless his family.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#32]
RIP Officer.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Stupid Question:

If it's Texas and night time, wouldn't it be safer to confront them from the cover of your house, with a rifle - like standing in the window with said rifle and ordering them to the ground?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#34]
RIP, Deputy.

My sincere condolences to all here personally touched by this.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Guy was gonna retire this year from the article I read. Sad. Going outside to confront people committing an active burglary is no joke. Hope they catch those fuckers and give them all the needle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Stupid Question:

If it's Texas and night time, wouldn't it be safer to confront them from the cover of your house, with a rifle - like standing in the window with said rifle and ordering them to the ground?
View Quote

It's Texas in August. I don't think he had window screens in.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#37]
If anyone is in the area and interested:

Hutch Memorial Benefit Match

Match Fee - $30 (includes 1 ticket to participate in the raffle)
Raffle tickets - $5 for 1 ticket or $20 for 5 tickets. Raffle Items will include prize packages consisiting of items donated by Archer Manufacturing, Berrat Gallery of Dallas, Magpul, Mega Arms and KR Training!

All match fees will be donated by APSC and Austin Rifle Club to
Sheriff's Memorial & Benevolent Society of Travis County, Inc. to assist the family. If you cannot attend, please consider donating to:

https://www.tcsheriff.org/hutchinson
View Quote

I'd go if I wasn't going to CWT this weekend.

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I hope it was something simple like an "interrupted burglary" instead of the assassination I fear it was.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Yesterday they said he was shot with his own weapon and are exploring all possibilities.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It was not suicide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn . RIP

It was not suicide.

News just said it was ruled a suicide
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#41]
RIP LEO, Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was not suicide.

This.

Link

A Texas sheriff’s deputy found dead after reporting burglars at his home actually killed himself, officials said Friday.

Travis County Sheriff’s Sgt. Craig Hutchinson, 54, was fatally shot at his Austin-area home July 25 after reporting two “prowlers” in his backyard. Yet Round Rock police revealed last week that the bullet that killed him had come from his own gun.

Travis County Sheriff Greg Hamilton teared up at a news conference Friday announcing that coroners had ruled the 32-year veteran of the sheriff’s office a suicide, the Austin American-Statesman reported. Investigators cited struggles with depression and financial problems as the possible reasons for the suicide.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This.

Link

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was not suicide.

This.

Link

A Texas sheriff’s deputy found dead after reporting burglars at his home actually killed himself, officials said Friday.

Travis County Sheriff’s Sgt. Craig Hutchinson, 54, was fatally shot at his Austin-area home July 25 after reporting two “prowlers” in his backyard. Yet Round Rock police revealed last week that the bullet that killed him had come from his own gun.

Travis County Sheriff Greg Hamilton teared up at a news conference Friday announcing that coroners had ruled the 32-year veteran of the sheriff’s office a suicide, the Austin American-Statesman reported. Investigators cited struggles with depression and financial problems as the possible reasons for the suicide.

Read the update today. Sad. A couple weeks ago maybe it was there were documents released showing that his house was being foreclosed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top