Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/25/2016 10:39:45 AM EDT
Been preparing for TN Bar Exam all summer. 2 full days of testing, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Comments or thoughts from anyone who has been there?

Anyone considering law school? LET ME TALK YOU OUT OF IT!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#1]

If you falter there's always the Realtor's exam.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#2]
protip: don't fuck it up
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Cheat.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#4]
It''s Tennesee-how hard can it be?

I had a few drinks the night before I took the NY bar. Any last minute attempts at studying won't do you any good.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Advice: try to answer each question with the CORRECT response!

If you employ this strategy, you are far more likely to pass.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#6]
If Frank Abignale could pass it, so can you!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#7]
You go to Bowen or Fay?

Why take TN bar?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Good night's sleep probably most important.  It sucks, but there is guaranteed to be some heavy duty drinking going on afterwards.  

Think of it this way:  you could fail 3x and still not be as dumb as Cuomo or that Kennedy kid who crashed his plane.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#10]
You already know all you will know. Take your time, try not to get too frazzled, and crush that thing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cheat.

View Quote

This....might as well start preparing yourself for a life of it!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Went to Fay. Family is all in TN and did not have a job when the deadline came to register so figured go back to TN if all else fails.

Since then, I was fortunate and landed a job with a certain NWA gun builder.....
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I had a few drinks the night before I took the NY bar. Any last minute attempts at studying won't do you any good.
View Quote

Same.  I didn't study for Jersey and didn't really care about it, so I started drinking at the lunch break the third day after NY.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Good luck. IMO, waiting for scores to come out seems to be worse than actually taking the test, though I've never taken it, so that is just an observation. I would also highly recommend anything but criminal law if you have six figure student loans, once again just based on my observations. I could of had a really nice boat or beach condo or both...
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#15]
No

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Threaten to sue if you don't get a good score.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Good luck OP.

(but if you need luck, you're fucked)

Eye of the Tiger/cull the weak
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Good night's sleep probably most important.  It sucks, but there is guaranteed to be some heavy duty drinking going on afterwards.  

Think of it this way:  you could fail 3x and still not be as dumb as Cuomo or that Kennedy kid who crashed his plane.
View Quote

I regard dummy-mimbo Kennedy basically as a spree killer, given how he practically murdered his wife and that other girl through flagrant incompetence and absence of common sense
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't sweat it. I saw a documentary about a guy who passed it, easily, and never went to law school. He practiced law, was a great lawyer, even made partner. Sadly he went to jail to protect his secret.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Best of luck to you.

I'm sitting for the VA bar this week, trying not to freak out too much.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#21]
are you excited to live life a step below a used car salesman?

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Its hard but I passed the two I took on the first tries. You will think you failed after taking it, but you will probably pass if you studied.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not going to work as a lawyer. you think it is scummy world? Try having a real understanding of the system. It is repulsive (for the most part)
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Bad exams are easy as long as you spent the prep time wisely. Relax and enjoy the process.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#25]
No advice from me but I wish you luck and hope you knock the bottom out of it.  Get a good night sleep and slay over the next few days.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

got me one going at the moment. should be over before i know it
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't worry if you fail, Hillary and Michelle both did.  Don't listen to the jibbly jab and remember the rule in shelly's case.  Everyone forgets it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Wear ear plugs, pack a lunch, and don't do a post mortem of the test at each break with the others; Go sit in your car, eat your lunch and listen to some tunes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Its hard but I passed the two I took on the first tries. You will think you failed after taking it, but you will probably pass if you studied.
View Quote
Exactly.

Took the bar in New York. Felt terrible leaving Javits Center where the exam was being held. Out of about 15 of my classmates, 13 of us thought we failed.  As it turned out - 3 failed (and passed when they re-took the exam in February).  

The bar exam experience will be something you never forget. For the two weeks afterward, I didn't know what to do with myself after doing bar prep and studying morning to night for a couple of months.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The bar exam experience will be something you never forget. For the two weeks afterward, I didn't know what to do with myself after doing bar prep and studying morning to night for a couple of months.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Best of luck! You got this!  .
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#33]
"As your lawyer, I recommend you pass it....." Fear & Loathing in Las Vegus

I think it's a better choice than medicine & surgery--are people hovering over you to be sure you dot i's & cross t's or you won't get paid &might be fined? Are administrators posting the results of a "Root Cause Analysis " as an "RCA Analysis?" And asking you for an opinion....and you don't know whether the dumbass is talking abut their redundant Root Cause Analysis- Analysis error or some other Medicare foible.

In many cases, the monkeys in the zoo--in some hospitals the administrators are doctors & nurses. But in some they aren't & have no clue over any of it.

Nobody's cutting lawyer's pay with absurd "patient satisfaction scores" which have never been scientifically studied to validate them, yet the new way to withhold cash from Doctors & hospitals is to say your pts aren't happy because you don't prescribe what they want--antibiotics eor narcs.....my 20+ years of experience, which includes 8 years of school (undergrad & med school) then 5 years of general surgery residency as an extra year on fellowship for advanced surgery & research = a 3 minute Google search or something Dr. Oz said....and I get paid based on how happy I make that person feel about what Dr Oz said....

No, you did the right thing, pass it & be off to the presidency or senate, at least. And endorse Tort reform! Become a career politician & suck at the taxpayers teat while boasting what. " self-made man" you are, and you'll have several million with legal insider trading( legal for you--illegal for me, cause lawyers make laws that protect themselves & their interests....) but you won't have a .gov regulator withholding the past 6 months of Medicare money threatening fines because they don't want to pay for the documented work you've done.

Now, go out there & get some!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

You go to Bowen or Fay?

Why take TN bar?
View Quote
I'd much rather live and work in TN than AR. I'm sure OP is of the same opinion.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Take the civil service exam instead.  I wish someone had given me that advice 33 years ago.

Edit to add:  Do not over think the questions, your first answer is generally right.  On the multiple choice questions, if you don't know don't know the answer guess you have a 1 in 4 or 5 chance of being right. Blank answers count for nothing.  Get a good night's sleep and do not cram the night before.  My law school buddies and I went camping for a week afterward to unwind with much alcohol imbibed around the camp fire.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Essay day down. That is the hard one. Tomorrow I just have to throw it in 4lo and grind through the multiple choice, one at a time.

Thanks for the thoughts
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What are you going to be doing?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not going to work as a lawyer. you think it is scummy world? Try having a real understanding of the system. It is repulsive (for the most part)

What are you going to be doing?

Got a job working at Nighthawk Custom!!! Start date end of August.

Saw too many of my classmates from law school fighting to get jobs making 40k as a public defender dealing with 3-time criminals who tell them how to competently represent their interests.

Saw too many of my classmates from MBA school going to work for big corporations so that they could play politics and show how modern / progressive they are- so that they could sit down and crunch Excel Spreadsheets all day, with hopes that the "big guys" never decide to cut back expenses and make their division, and job, disappear.

Decided there was a better way. Figured out what I love (guns), recognized that I could go be around great people, and live life on my terms.

Off to Berryville I go!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Just remember JFK Jr failed numerous times and he was still adored by millions.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#41]
You never do as bad as you think. Everybody beats themselves up afterwords but you will be fine. Focus and concentration. I loved law school. It was great.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You never do as bad as you think. Everybody beats themselves up afterwords but you will be fine. Focus and concentration. I loved law school. It was great.
View Quote

That's my hope. I don't know whether I think I did better or worse than I expected on the Virginia essays today.

Still, I had an answer for every question. Not necessarily the right one, but dammit, I had an answer!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wear ear plugs, pack a lunch, and don't do a post mortem of the test at each break with the others; Go sit in your car, eat your lunch and listen to some tunes.
View Quote

This, so so very much this.

We had a rule that anyone who talked about the test during a break bought a round during the post-test festivities. Helped limit it.

Also, you in a hotel? If so, extend your stay for the night after the bar...you'll need a place to crash.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Decades of school and debt to be a gun plumber.

Looks like good decision making to me.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#45]
My niece aced the N.Y. bar exam unlike hitlery and other famous people. She's also paid off her loan for law school.
Surely you aren't going to let a gurrl whip your ass.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Can't help you.  I've never passed a bar in my life.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Exactly this.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#48]
WTF you need a law degree to clean guns now? Obama's economy has absolutely fucked us all.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Dress appropriately.  I doubt TN makes you wear a suit, but if it does make sure you wear business attire or risk being excluded.

Also, when I took the KY bar they had the AC cranked so much condensation was dripping from the vents onto some tables.  You may want a jacket in the car just in case.
& another just in case- make sure your computer works & you know the admin password.  I for some reason had a bit of trouble with my pw on my then newish laptop.  You don't want to be unable to load the necessary software and end up taking the exam on paper (or not being another to take it).
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#50]

I'll tell you what my dean told me:  "nobody in the top ten percent of the class has ever failed the bar".  I hope that helps.  If not, try this: everyone in my class who actually did their best to prepare passed.  At least as far as I knew.  And finally, the one person I knew from my class that failed the first time is now a partner in a large firm.

Good luck.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top