Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#1]
That's fucking interesting, man. Probably wouldn't cause much other than the interior of the vehicle getting a bit dustier than normal.
View Quote

AC blows harder with them out.
View Quote

With the filters out the coils also choke up with dirt if your in a dusty environment and then you get no air and the coils are damned hard to get to clean
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I check it every oil change, and replace as needed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Off to google to see if any of my cars have these.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Annually
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Every other year
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I change them probably once a year.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$12 bucks at Autozone, flip down the glove box, unclip the old filter and pull it out, slide in the new one, flip the glove box back in place, done.
View Quote

You must have a Tacoma. Mine's the same way.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#8]
The what in my vehicle???????
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$12 bucks at Autozone, flip down the glove box, unclip the old filter and pull it out, slide in the new one, flip the glove box back in place, done.

Pretty standard for most Toyotas.  My Land Cruiser is the same way, except I have to disconnect the glove box lights and airbag before I remove the box.  The airbag thing always makes me nervous.  Getting my neck snapped while changing an $8 filter really isn't how I want to go out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never had a vehicle with one of those so I waited four years and 30K miles before changing it for the first time on my daily driver.  Dang - it was a mess.  Yearly since then.

Sure wish my new truck had one.  The Jeep on the other hand - pointless if it did.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Every ten years.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#12]
If only there was a book you could read to tell you when you should perform maintenance on a vehicle!  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I change mine when the air coming from the vents smells like mouse piss because auto engineers obviously never considered building a rodent proof ventilation system.  A mouse or small rat can simply climb up the tire, up into the air intake, and make it all the way to the filter.  The filter was full of rat pills, soaked in piss and littered with empty pecan hulls and chewed debris.  The filter is also partly chewed into nest material.  This is a 2008 Honda Civic.

I have a 2014 Nissan Titan, which has a slot for a filter, but doesn't come from the factory with one.  It too was full of nuts and foam which a rat had chewed from the insulation of the A/C system.  Luckily the motor drops out from the bottom easily for cleaning.  I installed a filter.

If the filter wasn't there,  where would the dirt go?  Wouldn't it collect on the blower vanes, evaporator and heater core, and duct work?  Why would you prefer that?  Your engine oil and intake air would also flow a lot better without a filter.
View Quote

Where did the dirt go in the 100 years cars didn't have cabin air filters?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd like to but not sure where they are located.  2013 GMC sierra and 2012 ford fusion.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Every 2 years in my tractors.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#16]
When the maintenance minder tells me to.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's fucking interesting, man. Probably wouldn't cause much other than the interior of the vehicle getting a bit dustier than normal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remove them.

Nope it means everything that would get caked on the filter gets caked on the ac coil in the dash. I just spent several hours Sunday taking my dash apart and cleaning the coil in my 01 dakota because it didn't come with cabin filters. Ac blows great now though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I removed it in one of my cars, never changed the ones in the others. The one I removed is a 20 minute job requiring removal of glove box and lots of bracketry, but if it were a 2 minute job I would've just changed it. Only reason I was in there was because the fans weren't blowing as they should.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pretty standard for most Toyotas.  My Land Cruiser is the same way...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty standard for most Toyotas.  My Land Cruiser is the same way...

That's exactly how it is in my Saturn.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If only there was a book you could read to tell you when you should perform maintenance on a vehicle!  
View Quote

Fuck books, this is America.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My DD doesn't have one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I never did mine and it collapsed and jammed the fan
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Almost never because it is an expensive HEPA filter. I need to do a replacement and may just use some nylons. My AC will quit working after long periods in hot weather and I have read it may be due to something freezing and that a clogged up cabin filter may cause that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is kind of how most vehicles are.  Air has to come in somewhere and steering and other controls occupy most of the other side of the cabin.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I removed it in one of my cars, never changed the ones in the others. The one I removed is a 20 minute job requiring removal of glove box and lots of bracketry, but if it were a 2 minute job I would've just changed it. Only reason I was in there was because the fans weren't blowing as they should.
View Quote

Honda?  Just did mine in my '02 Odyssey yesterday.  Who ever designed the placement of it should be euthanized.   You have to take the glove box completely out, cut out a plastic bar unless you want to remove what looks like a significant part of the dash, and remove a metal bar.  Total pain in the ass.  I see that this issue was fixed on later models.  This model is probably one where people take it to the dealership to change.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Annually.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was thinking there are probably quite a few folks who've never thought to change this filter. How often do you change yours, if ever?
View Quote

And you're right, I was one of them.  My truck is 2 years old and I never even thought of it.  After reading your post I went by the dealership and picked one up and just got finished installing it.  My truck only has 20K miles, and while it wasn't clogged, it definitely needed to be replaced.  Thank you OP
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remove them.

I was lucky enough to buy a vehicle (truck) that already blows hard enough, and harder than most, with the filter in it.

Now that I think about it, it may become a vehicle test-drive testing procedure I do in the future since this is south Florida.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Usually once a year, after the pollen has fallen.

I hear that some people actually take their car to the dealer to get it changed. That is funny.
View Quote

My wife called me a couple weeks ago from the dealership and said that they wanted to change the cabin air filer and told her $55.  I hadn't laughed that good in a long while.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And you're right, I was one of them.  My truck is 2 years old and I never even thought of it.  After reading your post I went by the dealership and picked one up and just got finished installing it.  My truck only has 20K miles, and while it wasn't clogged, it definitely needed to be replaced.  Thank you OP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was thinking there are probably quite a few folks who've never thought to change this filter. How often do you change yours, if ever?

Always happy to help.

I said something about it to a guy at work this morning, and he said he would be checking his too. Acted like he never even heard of a cabin air filter.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Tag.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Changed mine out when my car started to smell pretty bad (somehow cabin filter got wet and moldy).
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I just looked it up on my 2015 Chevrolet 2500HD and Oreilly's has Wix filter for $24.99 and Micro guard for $8.99.    Can't imagine Wix is that much better??
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Honda?  Just did mine in my '02 Odyssey yesterday.  Who ever designed the placement of it should be euthanized.   You have to take the glove box completely out, cut out a plastic bar unless you want to remove what looks like a significant part of the dash, and remove a metal bar.  Total pain in the ass.  I see that this issue was fixed on later models.  This model is probably one where people take it to the dealership to change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They must have fixed it after mine because I have an 06 Odyssey and it's the same shit as yours.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I just looked it up on my 2015 Chevrolet 2500HD and Oreilly's has Wix filter for $24.99 and Micro guard for $8.99.    Can't imagine Wix is that much better??
View Quote

Not sure what kind of filter Wix is, but I know there are "upgrayedd" filters out there that are charcoal or whatnot. I'm just not willing to pay extra for a souped up cabin air filter.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Thursday. That's how often it's been changed - Getting changed on Thursday.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Not sure what kind of filter Wix is, but I know there are "upgrayedd" filters out there that are charcoal or whatnot. I'm just not willing to pay extra for a souped up cabin air filter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is what I was thinking.   Bought the Wix air filter and fuel filter but the cheaper cabin filter.   Will report back how it goes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm going to stick with buying a new car every ten years and let the second owner worry about fixing stuff.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My daily driver is an 04 Saturn Ion that I bought used in 08 with 40k on it and has been an awesome car. This summer, I noticed my fan wasn't blowing the A/C out very well, almost like it was stuck on the lowest speed/setting. A friend of mine suggested I change my cabin air filter, which I'd never even considered doing.

Stopped and picked one up at the parts store yesterday, and swapped it out in the parking lot. When I pulled the old filter out, the pleats were literally filled with dirt, dust, and other crap. It weighed ten times as much as the new replacement filter. I put the new one in, turned on the A/C, and the fan is blowing like brand new again. Could hardly believe the difference it made.

View Quote

What is a cabin air filter?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My daily driver is an 04 Saturn Ion that I bought used in 08 with 40k on it and has been an awesome car. This summer, I noticed my fan wasn't blowing the A/C out very well, almost like it was stuck on the lowest speed/setting. A friend of mine suggested I change my cabin air filter, which I'd never even considered doing.

Stopped and picked one up at the parts store yesterday, and swapped it out in the parking lot. When I pulled the old filter out, the pleats were literally filled with dirt, dust, and other crap. It weighed ten times as much as the new replacement filter. I put the new one in, turned on the A/C, and the fan is blowing like brand new again. Could hardly believe the difference it made.

What is a Cabin Air Filter
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Whenever I notice a funny smell, or every year.

Whichever comes first.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
About twice a year, primarily after pollen season.  Buy them cheap off Rockauto and replace as needed.  Toyota wants like $35, I buy the Denso ones for around $5 and keep a couple on hand.
View Quote

This....cheap maintenance.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Mine doesn't have one

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm old, I didn't know they had cabin air filters in vehicles.

Does a 2003 F-150 have one?
View Quote

It can. Depends on the model
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_years/ford-f-150-cabin-air-filter-2003.html

Hold on to your seat

Some Ford F-150 models now have seat filters. Yes air filter for your front seats.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

IDK, neither my 07 or the 16 have them. I guess there's a hack to install them in the plenum if you want to go through the trouble of doing it. Last time I looked you had to cut the opening and buy a snap in door and filter for a Neon. That would at least work on the older trucks, don't know about the new ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never, My trucks don't have them.

Since when did dodge get rid of them?

Eta: just looked it up it looks like 09 on the rams.  Learn something new everyday.

IDK, neither my 07 or the 16 have them. I guess there's a hack to install them in the plenum if you want to go through the trouble of doing it. Last time I looked you had to cut the opening and buy a snap in door and filter for a Neon. That would at least work on the older trucks, don't know about the new ones.

Yes it could be earlier I just bought an 09 so I Googled how to change on an 09 and it showed doing a conversion to add one.  Crazy I spend a lot of time on dusty roads so I used to change them frequently in my semis and pickups.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#47]
This was only 30,000 miles.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#48]
it's a 2 minute job on both a 2012 Mazda 6 and a 2008 Corolla.  

i just changed the cabin and engine air filters on the Mazda for under $20 total.  I suggest checking your engine air filters too.  I was still under the mileage interval for mine but the improvement in engine performance was noticeable
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Never, My trucks don't have them.
View Quote

Same here...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top