Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2016 10:05:22 AM EDT
I have several cordless Ryobi products that gave done well for my general use.

I purchased the impact wrench that reportedly would provide 300 ft. lbs. of torque.

I attempted to drive a lag bolt into a 6 x 6 but it sucked.

It would stop running every 2-3 seconds.

I would be using it for removing lug nuts, bolts, mower blade bolts, driving some lag bolts, etc.

Nothing too extreme.

Suggestions?

(I have an air compressor but it is only 8 gal. with a max of 4 CFM, so I don't think it would

work very well with an air impact wrench.)
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Air impact wrenches don't use much air since the time on trigger is so short. Your compressor is plenty big for an impact wrench. Air ratchets are air hogs though.
If you really want cordless, the 1/2" dewalts are GTG, but a nice IR air impact is faster and more powerful.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#2]
The new Dewalt , Snap On , Mac 1/2 inch drives are pretty hardy. I bust flange  bolts out that I put together with my air impacts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Dewalt 20v 1/2" impact that has worked great for me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Dewalt 20v 1/2 impact that has worked great for me.
View Quote

Me too

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an Ingersoll Rand.

Heavy duty, very nice quality.  Comes with two 20V batteries.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#6]
The large Makita 1/2 impact does well for me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#7]
does it have to be cordless? I have a Dewalt 20v cordless which I use for lug nuts,water heater anodes and heating elements, excavator bucket teeth bolts etc. But not sure if you want something like that when it means batteries/chargers --a whole new system than your Ryobi stuff. Dewalt makes a corded AC version which has a little more oomph and dosent require batteries and IIRC only ran me about $99 --that one I use more in the garage for tires and stuff and you do have to watch it will break lug studs if you are not careful tightening them.
I have used both to drive lags into headers for decks and bolting rafters together for beams so that should do the trick

Makita /Bosch/Milwaulkee all make thier own versions of the cordless not so sure about the AC version tho .
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#8]
While extremely pricy, the Snap-On 1/2" is really impressive...

Works really, really well for large self drilling screws / bolts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Drill a pilot hole or go electric for occasional use on tough jobs
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#11]
What kind of battery are you using? I have the Craftsman C3. When I used the regular 19.2v battery, which I think is Ni-Cad, it sucked ass. When I used the Lithium Ion, it zipped my lugs right off.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#12]
In other threads Milwaukee Fuel seemed to be the most recommended.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What kind of battery are you using? I have the Craftsman C3. When I used the regular 19.2v battery, which I think is Ni-Cad, it sucked ass. When I used the Lithium Ion, it zipped my lugs right off.
View Quote

Lithium Ion battery.

I'm fairly certain the battery was fully charged when I tried it.

I'll make sure it is and try again.

Thanks for all of the input.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#14]
DeWalt.

I don't know everyone's experience with these types of tools but I would be willing to say we use them way more than most people. We haven't used one up in years and they get used a lot. Nearly daily, sometimes for hours with multiple batteries, in wet environments, in dirty environments. I feel extremely comfortable with them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Love mine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a snap on. But price wise I see why anyone other then people like I, who are friends with the tool guy, would buy one.

I'd probably go Milwaukee.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Milwaukee Fuel
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a 1/2 drive dewault, used in junkyard adventures for many years, never failed to turn whatever I used it on. Toughest things where balancer bolts and pinion yoke nuts that are torqued to like 150 ft lbs.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Which ryobi do you have?  The make 2.  I have the 3 speed one and I find it works pretty well myself.  Changed tires on my wrangler with it this morning.  The single speed one sucks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Whatever impact you use the Lithium ion battery pack makes a difference. The small capacity ones work but the larger 3.0 Ah or bigger are better if you are doing more than 8-12 screws.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#21]
As others have said Fuel impacts seem to hold up in our shop and seems to last as good as the Snap on's. I've been working in a heavy truck shop for 29 years and I rarely us my air impacts any more. Best money I have spent in awhile.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Milwaukee Fuel
View Quote

I bought the Milwaukee 18 volt 1/2 gun for changing tires. Have used it for backhoe tires, skid steers and F350 rims no problem.

I went cordless because I don't have room to carry a compressor most days.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had my 1/2" snap on for over 10 years now and used it daily when I was a mechanic. It Didn't replace my air impact, just complimented it.

Recently the charger burned up and fried a battery so I can't use it anymore.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Which ryobi do you have?  The make 2.  I have the 3 speed one and I find it works pretty well myself.  Changed tires on my wrangler with it this morning.  The single speed one sucks.
View Quote

The 3 speed.

It would drive (in the highest speed) for 2 seconds and stop.

I would release and pull the trigger again and it would drive for another 2 seconds.

It clearly wasn't an overheating issue.

The reason I picked one up in the first place was to remove the blades from my zero turn.

I could not budge them.

I called the dealer where I had it serviced and asked him if they torque the bolts to the manufacturers

specified 70 ft. lbs.

"No sir. I just run her up a bit with the air impact wrench."

Gee, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#25]
My only snap on tool is a cordless impact. Bought it back when I had time to go to the junkyard 2-3 times a week for extra cash. Batteries lasted good running all day and if it wouldn't take the bolt out, it would eventually snap it off. Well worth the money.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Milwaukee fuel or Ingersoll Rand. They are the only 2 that have held up in my shop. The snap on has been returned twice for repairs and cost more than the other 2, the dewalt had no balls and got returned the same day, the matco one did ok but the battery lasts about 10 min.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#27]
DeWalt 1/2 20v is pretty good. Even better with the 5 ah battery.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a mechanic by trade, It was easy for me to justify the $650+ price of Snapon. I Have their 3/8th impact gun and it's absolutely amazing, very torquey, great battery life and very sturdy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#29]
The bigger Makita one works great for me. My old air impact is probably rusted solid at this point. (I really should've oiled it more often)
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've had my 1/2" snap on for over 10 years now and used it daily when I was a mechanic. It Didn't replace my air impact, just complimented it.

Recently the charger burned up and fried a battery so I can't use it anymore.
View Quote

Try ebay and some online places, they have replacement for most anything including battery packs.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Milwaukee fuel is the finest I've  ever used.  Snap on is shit, they might make  some nice hand tools, but their power tools are crap.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I have both of the Milwaukee fuels, the compact half inch impact (2755) and the full size (2763).  I do mostly auto repair type stuff, I use the 2755 for 95% of the time.  It will handle some tasks which I didn't think it was capable of.  I actually bought the full size impact to remove the axle nuts on my subaru which are torqued to 237 ft-lbs, but the compact impact actually spun them off with no complaints.  I also ran 1/4" lags to repair the deck of a wood bridge with the 2755.  I just counter sunk a hole then ran the lags through the 3" deck board into the beam.  Again no complaints from the impact.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:27:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I have the 1/4" Milwaukee M12 Fuel impact driver and it does things that amaze me. I try not to abuse it, but it will loosen the lugs on my car. I can't imagine what the dedicated 1/2" impact driver would be capable of. The M12 fuels are BMF's.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the Milwaukee Fuel impacts and hammer drills and have been very happy with them. You really can't go wrong with MKE vs DeWalt vs Makita. You're buying into the battery system so just go with whichever brand you like best. I've been extremely happy with the 18V Milwaukee, my dad is very pleased with his 20V DeWalt setup.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My only snap on tool is a cordless impact. Bought it back when I had time to go to the junkyard 2-3 times a week for extra cash. Batteries lasted good running all day and if it wouldn't take the bolt out, it would eventually snap it off. Well worth the money.
View Quote

+1 The only answer is Snap On...
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is how I know you don't do this professionally or own one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Bosch
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Milwaukee fuel is the finest I've  ever used.  Snap on is shit, they might make  some nice hand tools, but their power tools are crap.
View Quote

Yea, Snap-On doesn't have the cordless tool tech that the big 3 have.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do this professionally and own 2....
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I employ 6 professional mechanics.

They all use the snap on electric tools.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Milwaukee/ thread.

I have a 1/2 inch drive I bought new off ebay (tool only) for about $140. Bought a 1/4 inch drive from Home Depot. LOVE both of them. The 1/2 inch drive is a damn beast.  If you don't mind Factory Refurbished check out a site called CPO Tools. I don't do any serious mechanic work so I bought TEKTON impact sockets off Amazon and they serve my needs just fine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you didn't learn the first time you fucked up and went back for more.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Milwaukee fuel is the answer to the question you asked.

I know someone who can sell you one for $250. Impact dual charger and 1 XC battery.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#45]
There are 2 different Dewalt 20v cordless impacts.  I have the one with 1200# torque.  I use it on tons of stuff, and keep it in the truck to help people change tires.  It's been wonderful.  My only complaint is that the forward/reverse switch detent is weak.  Way too easy to knock it from reverse-forward.  Otherwise, $300 well spent.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#46]
M18 fuel high torque 1/2" impact is what I have. It is awesome but it is a beast. For blade bolts, lugnuts etc it is great. I need a smaller one to bridge the gap between my m12 ratchet and the big impact. Its next on my list cant decide if i want the m12 fuel or the smaller m18. Most bolts don't need the big guy but it can't be beat for big stuff.

I think Home Depot is carrying the big fuel ones now.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Lithium Ion battery.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lithium Ion battery.

It's not your tool being broken.  It's that while Ryobi stuff is reliable and all that for general smaller tasks, they aren't exactly potent.  

I got the lithium battery for my Ryobi drill, hoping it would help.  It did, but not enough.  

Added a Milwaukee 18v drill/driver combo.  Night and day difference.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Milwaukee Fuel
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#49]
We use milwaukee at work in a very bad, rough environment and they have been gtg with very few problems.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Milwaukee Fuel

Thirded.

I have a pretty good size collection of M12 and M18 stuff, other then one tool (12v hackzall), everything has been bomb proof in a construction environment.
The hackzall died after 3 years of drywall dust collecting in it killed it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top