Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
barely over two weeks old.

I'm carrying her on a front pack tonight at the fair, these two visibly drunk guys walk by and say " look at him carrying that little monkey" in reference to my biracial daughter.

I didn't hear them, but my wife who was walking a few feet behind me with her mother, heard it plan as day.

I was pissed while my wife was in tears

What the hell? Who says that about an infant?
View Quote

At two weeks old they were probably assholes...  

At a certain point babies act like monkeys (hanging on you etc), I've called my daughter a monkey or a little monkey...it had nothing to do with race.

My daughter tried to rip my nipple off yesterday, like a god damn rapid chimp or something... With her sharp little nails it hurt and she's shockingly strong for her size.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Naw, the wife has been the busy one.  raising 6 kids, including homeshooling and she has done an awesome job
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Op, maybe they were being condesending jerks, or maybe they thought it reminded them of the way primates carry their young.  Either way you need to develops a thicker skin, and fast.  I have been thru that and much more over the past 20 plus years.  And contrary to convetional wisdom that whites are the worst toward mixed families.  Most of the times it almost came to violence, was when the derogatory trash talk was coming from blacks. And they wanted to escalate it.

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/user/gdsjr/media/0515130942_zpseaa61ce0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/gdsjr/0515130942_zpseaa61ce0.jpg</a>

I dated a black girl before it was considered cool
And 22 years later we are a strong family.  And my children have been called monkeys by me since the oldest first realized he could climb.

You've been busy!

Naw, the wife has been the busy one.  raising 6 kids, including homeshooling and she has done an awesome job

I grew up in a German Catholic farm community in the Midwest where the women got married while in their teens and bore children from shortly after the wedding to menopause.  6 children would be considered "a good start". Now couples in that same community "get talked about" if they marry young and have more than three children.  Funny the difference one generation makes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmm if I were to hear that, I wouldn't have thought anything of it.
Several  people I associate with call their small children monkeys.

Of course, I wasn't there to hear how it was said, so I may be off base.

But screw them.  They are worthless.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Possibly it wasn't a race thing. My wife calls our four kids monkeys (and I call them midgets). Or maybe it was in reference to the carrier?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You have a beautiful daughter OP.  I wish you and your lovely wife the best.  

Don't let others rent space in your head for free, it'll eat you up.
View Quote

That's a good one...gonna have to borrow that one....sage like & pithy...
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm carrying her on a front pack tonight at the fair, these two visibly drunk guys walk by and say " look at him carrying that little monkey" in reference to my biracial daughter.

I didn't hear them, but my wife who was walking a few feet behind me with her mother, heard it plan as day.

View Quote

Who gives a shit…

Look, when you go giving a shit what others say about you, you give them power over you. Are you really going to let some half heard, offhand comment, from some drunks you don’t even know affect your mood?

First off, you probably don’t really know what was going through those guys drunken heads. I’ve called babies and children “monkeys” before, including my very white nephews and my blonde haired blue eyed step grandchild. Referring to children as “monkeys” is not uncommon, derogatory, or racial. However I will say that is probably not what those drunks meant. But it might have been, you don’t know for sure.

Second, people have all kinds of stupid, violent, evil, and just plain wrongheaded thoughts running through their minds at all times. You do, I do, everyone does. Your mind is supposed to filter those thoughts, keep the good ones, and reject the bad, evil, stupid, and wrong thoughts. The thoughts you keep are the ones that make up your personality and become part of who you are. The thoughts you reject are just random crap that came into your head and got thrown out.

Drunks are often really bad about filtering out things and will say the first stupid thing that comes into their heads. Sometimes it’s just random drunk talk and sometimes the drunk thinks he will get a laugh out of his stupid comment. People on the internet also have a pretty poor filter and will say all kinds of stupid things for a laugh as well.

And third, there are bullies that will say all kinds of stupid shit just to cause you pain. I personally have plenty of experience with that and by the time I was 8 or 9 years old I learned not to be overly hurt by people’s stupid offhand comments. Like I said, you don’t want to give people power over you. Have you ever been for a walk in the woods and heard a squirrel barking at you? That squirrel is probably saying some really uncomplimentary things about you in squirrel talk. But you don’t care what it’s saying because it’s a frickin squirrel and you don’t care about what a squirrel thinks… My advice is to learn to treat most of humanity like squirrels in this regards.

Anyway, I do wish your family all the happiness and success in the world. Rest assured that the nasty comments of a couple of drunks does not reflect the opinion of society in general.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Your baby and wife are cute and that is an empirical fact.

OP, though, well, you are best viewed in a more impressionist form.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#9]

couple of hateful cunts . that's who .

live well , love your kid , ignore haters .
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#10]

To your daughter.

My brother and sister [paleface] both called their new borns " my little monkey"
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Not to be the one to derail this "it's racist!" train, but are you sure it was meant as a slur?

I've heard people refer to children as "monkeys" my whole life, and it was never in reference to race...

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Disgusting, and if I was a father and heard that, I'd likely be in jail for battery.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ignore them OP, idiots are everywhere. You raise your kid right, she will excel farther in life than ones raised by the likes of them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Disgusting, and if I was a father and heard that, I'd likely be in jail for battery.
View Quote

Really?  Quite a few posters have said they innocently use the term.  I'm trying to give you and the OP benefit of doubt, but this butthurt overreaction shit is getting old.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Same here. I was called a little monkey many times as a child.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have heard the term "monkey" used by many, many people referring to babies of every race.

Same here. I was called a little monkey many times as a child.

Yeah we called our son 'Monkey-boy' from just before he could walk at 16 months until about the age of 5 or 6.
Thant kid could climb like a monkey
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Screw the ignorant jerks, ignore them. If they get you upset they win.  Sad that people find the need to say things like that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I didn't read anything in the thread other than OP post but it might have been not what you think.

I call my niece and newphew all kinds of things like "turkey" or "monkey" just to get a rise out of them.

They could have been doing the same thing but didnt realize the context, in other words it was possibly a harmless mistake.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who says that about anyone? There are A-holes all over the place, dont let them affect your happiness over a new baby. And congrats on a healthy child.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I too was referred to as a monkey as a child.  That said, my uncle laughing at shenanigans is different than some drunk fucks making a comment about a biracial kid in a carrier.  

I was climbing trees and acting a fool, those guys suck.

Very cute kid.  Biracial kids usually are very attractive adults too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Monkeys have tails. Humans are a type of ape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Technically your baby is an ape, not a monkey.

Monkeys have tails. Humans are a type of ape.

That's a Vegitails bit done by Larry. I like that one. Twist ending.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Democrats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Democrats.

Nah. They'd say, "post fetus. Pre voter." Children aren't people until they are old enough and can be bought and owned by the system to vote democrat.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#23]
F them, humanity will have pieces of shit, on the important note congrats on the little one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Assholes....that is who!
View Quote
That's grounds for a beat down in my book. Fucking assholes ruin everything!

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Perhaps the comment was made due to you doing the baby toting, especially if you did so with one of those across the chest baby toting apparatuses with two women that could have been accomplishing that task trailing behind you.  

Yeah, I know times have changed but men of my era would not be caught dead doing such a thing.....Just saying.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#26]
That's your wife, BUT, dude....how could you?
She''s left-handed!!!

Cool pics of her & your daughter. Don't let a few drunked small brained morans (sic) get to you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Assholes....that is who!

Assault and battery is justified because freedom of speech? Fighting two drunk guys in front of your wife, kids, and MIL at the fair over a possible racial slur sounds like a really stupid idea. Jail time, court dates, legal fees, and getting tagged with a charge while your youngest is two weeks old is not the ideal way to raise a family.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

welcome to animal nature.

who brings an infant with apu\umbilical still chewy and probably still attached  ....to a 'fair' ?  carnies and ex cons running the show....  

i wouldnt.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#29]
You are winning at life.  Beautiful family OP.  Fuck those racist fucks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My grandma called all of us little monkeys.
Might not have meant to been racist but it probably was.

Depends, what did she call a broken bottle?

I just read all six pages of this thread hoping that this would be explained, but apparently everyone already knows what the racist term for 'broken bottle' is.

For someone who doesn't know, can I get that explained?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm going to go on the "don't immediately jump to racism" side because that's what liberals do. But maybe go with the logical side.

See how those could be compared?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#32]
beautiful family OP!! the hell with the assholes at the fair. Karma has a way of biting people in the ass, they'll get theirs someday, props for keeping your cool
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Who gives a shit…

Look, when you go giving a shit what others say about you, you give them power over you. Are you really going to let some half heard, offhand comment, from some drunks you don’t even know affect your mood?

First off, you probably don’t really know what was going through those guys drunken heads. I’ve called babies and children “monkeys” before, including my very white nephews and my blonde haired blue eyed step grandchild. Referring to children as “monkeys” is not uncommon, derogatory, or racial. However I will say that is probably not what those drunks meant. But it might have been, you don’t know for sure.

Second, people have all kinds of stupid, violent, evil, and just plain wrongheaded thoughts running through their minds at all times. You do, I do, everyone does. Your mind is supposed to filter those thoughts, keep the good ones, and reject the bad, evil, stupid, and wrong thoughts. The thoughts you keep are the ones that make up your personality and become part of who you are. The thoughts you reject are just random crap that came into your head and got thrown out.

Drunks are often really bad about filtering out things and will say the first stupid thing that comes into their heads. Sometimes it’s just random drunk talk and sometimes the drunk thinks he will get a laugh out of his stupid comment. People on the internet also have a pretty poor filter and will say all kinds of stupid things for a laugh as well.

And third, there are bullies that will say all kinds of stupid shit just to cause you pain. I personally have plenty of experience with that and by the time I was 8 or 9 years old I learned not to be overly hurt by people’s stupid offhand comments. Like I said, you don’t want to give people power over you. Have you ever been for a walk in the woods and heard a squirrel barking at you? That squirrel is probably saying some really uncomplimentary things about you in squirrel talk. But you don’t care what it’s saying because it’s a frickin squirrel and you don’t care about what a squirrel thinks… My advice is to learn to treat most of humanity like squirrels in this regards.

Anyway, I do wish your family all the happiness and success in the world. Rest assured that the nasty comments of a couple of drunks does not reflect the opinion of society in general.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who gives a shit…

VERY well said. +1
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Monkey is a commonly used word for little kids, white and black.  When my kids hang on me my wife calls them little monkeys.  Are you implying that my wife is racist to our white children?  Or do you just see everything as a racial issue?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#35]
After looking at the pictures, I doubt the drunks even knew your infant was half black.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Unfortunately, ignorance and idiocity has largely taken over.  Any bets on whether they were arf.com members? certainly plenty of racists around here .
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#37]
i see nothing out of the ordinary here.... except putting the wife to tears is bullshit.  remember the Rambo m-60 radio room scene?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Nice family OP!  Enjoy the new, little one.  They grow up in the blink of an eye.

The monkey thing is tricky since it is commonly used when referring to children.  I believe that Howard Cosell was fired when he referred to a receiver as a "little monkey".
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#39]
6 pages and not one Beamy Baby?

I personally think all babies look like lizards or old jewish men.
But thats just me.

Ignore the background noise, OP. There will be plenty of it, and plenty of other things to worry about the next 18 or so years.

Im a father of 2 grown ass young men that had HAVOC birthmarks on their foreheads.

Ok, broken bottle reference explained, please.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Whoa!! Slow down Chris Brown.

Monkey is a term of endearment that I and MANY use for kids, all kids, MY kids.

You were the one who injected race. I'd point and laugh my ass off at you for papoosing a newborn, but it wouldn't be about the kid or race or......
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#41]
From a Buddhist perspective, try to imagine how sad and miserable they are to lash out at you like that. It is really sad,but also unacceptable behavior.

In these times of trouble, we need to work hard at putting ourselves in the other guy's shoes. All peace loving people want freedom and independence, but that does not mean that we should not defend ourselves if force and violence are waged against us.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
This is how idiots get shot.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Monkey aside.....why are you taking a 2 week old out in the germ filled public?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#45]
dont you guys think OP and wife have the mental acuity to discern whether 'little monkey' was said with malice or affection?  putting the wife to tears is a clue.....
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Monkey aside.....why are you taking a 2 week old out in the germ filled public?
View Quote

I thought about that. Maybe the fair is safe to go to where OP is at, but I'm not taking my wife and family here. The fair is where you go to get food poisoning and shanked with a dirty kitchen knife.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have heard the term "monkey" used by many, many people referring to babies of every race.
View Quote

When my daughter was first born we would call her a little marmoset monkey. I'm not agreeing with the assholes with what they said, its not their daughter. The cool thing about babies is that they are color blind and only become assholes if the parents teach them to be an asshole.

OP Congratulations to both you and your wife with the new addition.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#48]
I had to look up what biracial meant.  

People come in all flavors.  Avoid the flavors you don't like ......... or destroy them.  But mostly moving on is best.

ETA: I just looked at the pics.  I am thinking 'Monkey' was innocent.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's right, OP. You should take it back, the word, not the baby.

Awesome-looking family, by the way. If it had been me, I may or may not have broken someone in half and stuffed them in a trash can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's right, OP. You should take it back, the word, not the baby.

Awesome-looking family, by the way. If it had been me, I may or may not have broken someone in half and stuffed them in a trash can.

I'll buy you a box of Kleenex as well.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
dont you guys think OP and wife have the mental acuity to discern whether 'little monkey' was said with malice or affection?  putting the wife to tears is a clue.....
View Quote

Yea because a woman who had a kid 2 weeks ago is a great judge of emotion.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top