User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:10:01 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Uh huh... sure.
All these evil white people just can't wait to openly insult little old you for your humble behavior.
Don't believe it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We adopted both of our kids. Our son is from Africa and our daughter is biracial. My wife is Irish with red hair and freckles and I probably look like Powder, just with more hair, because I have a mild sun allergy. We get comments all the time. ALL THE TIME. People have said we adopted our son so he could be our 'chauffeur' or 'house slave' and others have come right out and asked why we got a n*gger baby when there are white kids that need help.
People have started laughing within earshot of us and said things like, "I can't believe he stayed with her anyway." "Maybe he's colorblind or something." and "Maybe the dad is actually an albino black man."  That was a recent one at the grocery store.
If we go out as a family three times a week you can be sure that someone will be an asshole at least once.
If my black son walks away from me to look at something in the store and mind you . . . he's 8, he will come back being followed more often than not. He also gets questions even if I'm standing right there, like 'Where are your parents? What are you doing? Do you have money to pay for that?"
It's ridiculous. It's real. I see it happen so often that it turns my stomach. A grown ass man told my little boy he was so black he looked like a 'struck match' and that if he didn't smile in the dark and kept his eyes closed then he'd be invisible. That was at a restaurant buffet a while back. I'm teaching my son to ignore this shit and not to reply back, but I followed that guy into the bathroom and told him exactly what I thought of him and what would happen if he said another word to my kid.
And no, I'm not sharing this for attention or sympathy. I'm sharing because racism, whether you want to believe it or not, is alive and well and thriving. I've mentioned a few of these instances years ago. It still happens. Too often. It's repulsive.

Uh huh... sure.
All these evil white people just can't wait to openly insult little old you for your humble behavior.
Don't believe it.

I thought everybody likes to follow people into bathrooms and threaten them when they get their feelings hurt

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#2]
No offense, but OP and wife need to grow thicker skin. If I cried and flipped out every time somebody said something offensive to me I'd never leave the house
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:37:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No offense, but OP and wife need to grow thicker skin. If I cried and flipped out every time somebody said something offensive to me I'd never leave the house
View Quote

They do deserve a little slack.  Your brain does not work right when you have a newborn, that is a fact.

BTDT
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:57:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
some people might consider the fact that he was with a black woman "a clue"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Calling your own child or relative a little monkey is one thing, it's affectionate. I've done the same.

It would never cross my mind to be passing stranger on the street and say "look at that little monkey".

Drunk guys doing it towards a bi-racial infant makes it just fine though, right?

I'm as racist as anyone and I'd never even think of saying something like that in that circumstance.

It would be difficult to tell the kid was bi-racial, let alone half black.  I say that as a sober person who has had babies of their own.

Now tell me a drunk idiot at a fair could tell that so easily.

Where I am from it is a common way to refer to kids, yes even strangers' kids.  Nobody gets butthurt about it.  Do you refrain from using all
terms other than healthy, well adjusted infant when talking to others so as not to maybe, possibly offend them?  Because by your
standards that may be one of the only acceptable and non-offensive ways to avoid offending everyone all at once in all circumstances.

Except that he wasn't "with" her. She was walking several feet behind him with her mother.

You sure you're actually a lawyer?

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:01:35 AM EDT
[#5]
You're a better man than me. I would hand off the baby and whoop a drunk fuckers ass.
This is one of the reasons that makes me hate people.
Your baby is beautiful!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:02:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I would hope, and guess they might have just said it without the racial implications (I know I refer to just about everyone as a monkey), but in the end there are a lot of assholes out there. And being drunk brings out the asshole in a lot of us. Sorry it happened.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:04:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Technically your baby is an ape, not a monkey.

As hominids are but one genus in the great apes phylogeny.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have heard the term "monkey" used by many, many people referring to babies of every race.
View Quote

I've referred to my own kids as "monkeys" when they were little.  I'm about as white a cracka as cracka ass cracka gets.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:19:37 AM EDT
[#9]
This Negro calls his little monkeys, monkeys, all the time, as my father did me.

Howard Cosell did as well, I remember Ali having to vouch for him.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:22:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry you have to live around cousin fuckers.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:31:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Op, maybe they were being condesending jerks, or maybe they thought it reminded them of the way primates carry their young.  Either way you need to develops a thicker skin, and fast.  I have been thru that and much more over the past 20 plus years.  And contrary to convetional wisdom that whites are the worst toward mixed families.  Most of the times it almost came to violence, was when the derogatory trash talk was coming from blacks. And they wanted to escalate it.

I dated a black girl before it was considered cool
And 22 years later we are a strong family.  And my children have been called monkeys by me since the oldest first realized he could climb.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:32:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have heard the term "monkey" used by many, many people referring to babies of every race.

This.

Same here.

I call my kids monkeys too. Don't know what the true intentions of the comment were but don't let it bother you. It probably was not meant as you think. If it was, fuk them lol
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Beamy if I had to choose between being offended or dismissing a comment that seemed offensive as just a misinterpretation of an awkwardly delivered comment, I would choose the latter for the sake of my continued happiness.

Being offended is a choice you make.

Best wishes to you and yours.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:38:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Uh huh... sure.

Don't believe it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We adopted both of our kids. Our son is from Africa and our daughter is biracial. My wife is Irish with red hair and freckles and I probably look like Powder, just with more hair, because I have a mild sun allergy. We get comments all the time. ALL THE TIME. People have said we adopted our son so he could be our 'chauffeur' or 'house slave' and others have come right out and asked why we got a n*gger baby when there are white kids that need help.

People have started laughing within earshot of us and said things like, "I can't believe he stayed with her anyway." "Maybe he's colorblind or something." and "Maybe the dad is actually an albino black man."  That was a recent one at the grocery store.

If we go out as a family three times a week you can be sure that someone will be an asshole at least once.

If my black son walks away from me to look at something in the store and mind you . . . he's 8, he will come back being followed more often than not. He also gets questions even if I'm standing right there, like 'Where are your parents? What are you doing? Do you have money to pay for that?"

It's ridiculous. It's real. I see it happen so often that it turns my stomach. A grown ass man told my little boy he was so black he looked like a 'struck match' and that if he didn't smile in the dark and kept his eyes closed then he'd be invisible. That was at a restaurant buffet a while back. I'm teaching my son to ignore this shit and not to reply back, but I followed that guy into the bathroom and told him exactly what I thought of him and what would happen if he said another word to my kid.

And no, I'm not sharing this for attention or sympathy. I'm sharing because racism, whether you want to believe it or not, is alive and well and thriving. I've mentioned a few of these instances years ago. It still happens. Too often. It's repulsive.

Uh huh... sure.

Don't believe it.

Nor do I.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:04:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It is possible that they were not being racist.

Lots of people call babies little monkeys.  Regardless of skin color some babys do kind of look like monkeys.
View Quote

I've heard people say the same of babies of all races.  I always took it be looks,  or that stage when they like to cling.  Who would verbally attack a baby?  I wouldn't automatically assume they were derogatory.

Nice looking family OP.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What the hell? Who says that about an infant?
View Quote

Democrats.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Was that their intent? Is so, F 'em, but I've called my own kids little monkeys.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#20]
While in Brooklyn with my mom, I was called a "honky" by a black girl in line when I was 4 years old. I kept saying out loud what's a honky? and my mom giving me the look like "Shut up we don't want to get killed".

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

She was walking behind him, with her mother.  And the guys who made the comment were apparently visibly drunk.

Drunks are notorious for their critical thinking and situational awareness now, are they?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Calling your own child or relative a little monkey is one thing, it's affectionate. I've done the same.

It would never cross my mind to be passing stranger on the street and say "look at that little monkey".

Drunk guys doing it towards a bi-racial infant makes it just fine though, right?

I'm as racist as anyone and I'd never even think of saying something like that in that circumstance.

It would be difficult to tell the kid was bi-racial, let alone half black.  I say that as a sober person who has had babies of their own.

Where I am from it is a common way to refer to kids, yes even strangers' kids.  Nobody gets butthurt about it.  Do you refrain from using all
terms other than healthy, well adjusted infant when talking to others so as not to maybe, possibly offend them?  Because by your
standards that may be one of the only acceptable and non-offensive ways to avoid offending everyone all at once in all circumstances.

She was walking behind him, with her mother.  And the guys who made the comment were apparently visibly drunk.

Drunks are notorious for their critical thinking and situational awareness now, are they?

There's just no way to know. How do we know the drunk guys didn't see the OP and his wife interacting earlier at the fair? Maybe before they were drunk?

Hell, it's two dudes at a fair. If they had women they probably would have been with them. For all we know they could just be miserable losers trying to make themselves feel better by talking stupid

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:29:59 AM EDT
[#22]
You're .MIL, I would have slugged them in the face
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

All humans are apes, nothing radial.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Technically your baby is an ape, not a monkey.

All humans are apes, nothing radial.  

Circular argument.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:31:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Dude, I call my kids little monkeys all the time.

I'd probably call yours one too.

I'll bring a box of Kleenex for the wife unit, if we ever grill burgers together.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I call my two (white) baby Grand kids "little monkeys" all the time, in public and at home.
They are little monkeys and other babies are little monkeys too.
Stop being so sensitive
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:39:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm as northern European Caucasian as can be, so is my daughter. The same thing was said 22 years ago when I carried her like that.

I don't automatically assume racism.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Post pics of baby.

Let Arfcom go nuts over cuteness.

Show wife.

Win!
View Quote

This would be the plan!    I am sorry that your wife had to hear that BS.    Some "people" are just assholes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nor do I.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh huh... sure.

Don't believe it.

Nor do I.

I also have trouble believing it but who knows. I can't imagine why someone would make something like that up?

My cousin and her husband have 2 kids they adopted from Africa.

We live close to each other so naturally we all go places together.

I can't recall anything like he described happening. Maybe I'm just not paying attention? IDK?

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:42:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Just saw the pictures of your beautiful daughter.     What a lucky man you are!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Who gives a shit what some asshole thinks? Facts are you're in an mixed relationship and your gonna hear such things, I'm sorry but some people are assholes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Op, maybe they were being condesending jerks, or maybe they thought it reminded them of the way primates carry their young.  Either way you need to develops a thicker skin, and fast.  I have been thru that and much more over the past 20 plus years.  And contrary to convetional wisdom that whites are the worst toward mixed families.  Most of the times it almost came to violence, was when the derogatory trash talk was coming from blacks. And they wanted to escalate it.

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/user/gdsjr/media/0515130942_zpseaa61ce0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/gdsjr/0515130942_zpseaa61ce0.jpg</a>

And 22 years later we are a strong family.  And my children have been called monkeys by me since the oldest first realized he could climb.
View Quote

Great photo, looks like you've been blessed with a beautiful family?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:49:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You have a beautiful family!

There is no escaping the assholes and shitheads, they are legion.

Ignore that crap and enjoy your life.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:50:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This was my first thought as well. Sounds like something I might say and not in a racial context.  These guys may have been racist assholes though based on the description.  Either way, don't let it bother you or your wife.  That's a cute baby!!!  And I'm not one who thinks all babies are cute.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Back in the 1950s, before everything became race based, kids were sometimes referred to as "little monkeys", especially in groups of children playing.

Somehow, I doubt two random dudes are hurling racist epithets at a baby passing by.

Give the benefit of the doubt to your neighbor's, and treat them as you wish to be treated.

And, if I'm wrong, fuck 'em!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My thought as well. But I'm a terminal optimist and give everyone the benefit of the doubt

Hopefully just a misunderstanding. But just in case it wasn't.... Fuck those assholes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thought as well. But I'm a terminal optimist and give everyone the benefit of the doubt

Hopefully just a misunderstanding. But just in case it wasn't.... Fuck those assholes

My wife calls our son her little monkey to the point where he is older now and says My Name Is NOT Monkey!

However, after only 2 weeks....I think you and your wife may need to understand your child may be subject to assholes more than usual.  Unless you are willing to beat some ass, get thick skin and move on.

My aunt is mentally handicap, my uncles beat up most of the school that made fun of her....grew up in a mill town....I was told the boys who picked on her stopped.    Getting hurt feelings wasn't going to solve it.

Congrats on child....love every minute.....stay away from fairs and white trash
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:01:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Looks like you win!!!
View All Quotes

Yep fuck those clowns.  They probably think all black people are #BLM supporters.

Cute daughter and you have a wife who likes guns?  I'm jelly  
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Democrats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the hell? Who says that about an infant?

Democrats.

Yup sounds like SJWs to me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#39]
It's in no way unusual here to call babies/todlers 'little monkeys'. It's a term of affection.

Used to live almost on the beach in a night life area. Drunks can be asholes
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, this was what I came here to say.  My baby girl is lilly white and I call her a little monkey.  It really depends on the circumstances and you'd have to be there to know for sure.  Hopefully,  it wasn't meant in a bad way.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:11:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah, this was what I came here to say.  My baby girl is lilly white and I call her a little monkey.  It really depends on the circumstances and you'd have to be there to know for sure.  Hopefully,  it was meant in a bad way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, this was what I came here to say.  My baby girl is lilly white and I call her a little monkey.  It really depends on the circumstances and you'd have to be there to know for sure.  Hopefully,  it was meant in a bad way.

I highly doubt two drunk assholes would spew the term "monkey" around like a baby's parents would. "Awwwww, look at that cute little monkey!!!"
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#43]

That's right, OP. You should take it back, the word, not the baby.

Awesome-looking family, by the way. If it had been me, I may or may not have broken someone in half and stuffed them in a trash can.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There's just no way to know. How do we know the drunk guys didn't see the OP and his wife interacting earlier at the fair? Maybe before they were drunk?

Hell, it's two dudes at a fair. If they had women they probably would have been with them. For all we know they could just be miserable losers trying to make themselves feel better by talking stupid

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Occam's Razor.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:14:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/user/gdsjr/media/0515130942_zpseaa61ce0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/gdsjr/0515130942_zpseaa61ce0.jpg</a>

View Quote

Holy shit man!   It's a vagina, not a clown car comes to mind!!!!

Just kidding - beautiful family. Your daughters are the spitting image of their mother.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have.  this picture is a few years old.  My oldest boy is now in the US Army and the youngest daughter is taller then me
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#47]
It's possible that they meant nothing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#48]
My dad used to call us kids and other kids growing up, but had to stop due to the pc everything is an insult world.  It does not always have to be about race.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#49]
All kids are monkeys.  OP doesn't know what was going through the guys head when he said that.  Was it racial?  Or did he watch an Animal Planet show on monkeys the night before and you carrying your child in the front remind him of that?  We'll never know.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:33:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Is this them?

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top