Page / 11
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:54:29 AM EDT
[#1]
PG 3 Own
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:55:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have heard the term "monkey" used by many, many people referring to babies of every race.
View Quote
this.

my niece hannah is my sisters little monkey

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:02:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Technically your baby is an ape, not a monkey.

Monkeys have tails. Humans are a type of ape.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:03:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Oh ok, the Darwin theory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Technically your baby is an ape, not a monkey.

All humans are apes, nothing radial.  

Oh ok, the Darwin theory.

No, taxonomy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:04:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Calling your own child or relative a little monkey is one thing, it's affectionate. I've done the same.

It would never cross my mind to be passing stranger on the street and say "look at that little monkey".

Drunk guys doing it towards a bi-racial infant makes it just fine though, right?

I'm as racist as anyone and I'd never even think of saying something like that in that circumstance.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:05:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Post pics of baby.

Let Arfcom go nuts over cuteness.

Show wife.

Win!
View Quote

Yes, I want to see this little angel! I'm sure she's adorable!

ETA: Saw the pics, she is indeed adorable!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:06:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Let me tell you something you can pass on to your kids.

The world is full of assholes.  The more you ignore them, the happier you'll be.

Plus, I've called my own kids worse.  When my wife would say how pretty the newborns were, I'd say, "It looks crosseyed, whopperjawed, and bobbleheaded to me!"
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:07:10 AM EDT
[#8]
You sure it was intended as a slur?

Many of my friends and I use monkey as term of endearment when referring to the kids, because, well, they act like monkeys and humans are primates.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:07:43 AM EDT
[#9]
What I did see them do was laugh at me carrying her in the front carrier. I highly doubt they were calling her a monkey in the cute sense.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:08:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats OP.  Fuck the two drunk assholes, their time will come.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:10:15 AM EDT
[#11]
pics of her and the wife unit and my ugly mug on page 1
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:10:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have heard the term "monkey" used by many, many people referring to babies of every race.

This.

That.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:12:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Just going by appearances I don't think most folks would look at that baby and think she was anything but another white baby so maybe it just came across wrong.  I call my kids monkeys and it's just a figure of speech.  Hopefully the comment was just an innocent comment and not a slur.  Screw bigots anyway.

ETA - While I use the word "monkey" to describe my kids I have enough tact to understand how that would be taken by a black person and would never use it.  I could totally see someone in the situation described by the OP making a comment about a tiny, goofy kid innocently.  (Not there so don't know)
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:14:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What I did see them do was laugh at me carrying her in the front carrier. I highly doubt they were calling her a monkey in the cute sense.
View Quote

Well, you were there, so you have a better sense of what was going on.

They're showing their ass.  Fuck them, and forget about them.  Try not to let assholes rent space in your head for free.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:16:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn150/beamy85/Eden%20amp%20Daddy_zpsivzxwrlb.jpg

Just going by appearances I don't think most folks would look at that baby and think she was anything but another white baby so maybe it just came across wrong.  I call my kids monkeys and it's just a figure of speech.  Hopefully the comment was just an innocent comment and not a slur.  Screw bigots anyway.
View Quote

After seeing the photo of you and your adorable daughter, there is pretty much NO FREAKING WAY they made the comment in a racist manner.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:16:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You're not excited for suicide squad?

I'm pumped as fuuuuuuuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some of you think that random drunks walking by are saying, "awwww, look at the cute little monkey?" as in some affectionate way?

Stop saying bullshit like that. You know better. They were insulting that child and the family.

It honestly could have bee either or.

Them being drunk could have especially made them not realize the connotations of calling a biracial child a monkey.

You need to be banned for your avatar change.

It looks gay as fuck bro.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:18:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry your wife had to hear that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:20:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Regardless of what their perceived motivations may or may not have been, why do you even care?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:20:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was going to say the same thing. In Hawai'i it's not uncommon at all to hear that at all. I actually have fond memories of my dad calling me a "little monkey" when I was kid.

However, I don't live where you do, so if you considered it a slur, then fuck those two assholes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to say the same thing. In Hawai'i it's not uncommon at all to hear that at all. I actually have fond memories of my dad calling me a "little monkey" when I was kid.

However, I don't live where you do, so if you considered it a slur, then fuck those two assholes.

I still call my son "Little Monkey" and he's 13. He uses monkey on most of his screen names for video games. He's biracial too, but white/Hispanic.

But it has a different historical connotation when used in reference to black people. It's just something you don't say. I still remember the fallout when Howard Cosell said something along the lines of, "Look at that monkey go" on live television and while he probably didn't mean it as an insult, it almost ended his career.

Sorry your wife had to hear that OP. You have a beautiful family. You win. Ignorant drunk trailer park trash loses.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:22:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
After seeing the photo of you and your adorable daughter, there is pretty much NO FREAKING WAY they made the comment in a racist manner.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn150/beamy85/Eden%20amp%20Daddy_zpsivzxwrlb.jpg

Stop implying the OP isn't a victim. He has as much right to be a victim as anyone else.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:22:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I call mine chongito. My great grandfather always told me he was going to trade me for a monkey when I was little. I figure since he's named after him it's a fitting nickname.

As for the op's post, it's pretty fucked to call some strangers baby a monkey in that context. They may not have meant any harm in doing so, but I wasn't there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:27:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of you think that random drunks walking by are saying, "awwww, look at the cute little monkey?" as in some affectionate way?

Stop saying bullshit like that. You know better. They were insulting that child and the family.

It honestly could have bee either or.

Them being drunk could have especially made them not realize the connotations of calling a biracial child a monkey.

You need to be banned for your avatar change.

*shunned*

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:27:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
Front carrying your young you saw.  Guess what else does that.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:29:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
*shunned*  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*shunned*  

You know that Proud Boys don't watch superhero movies.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:30:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Growing up, seemingly everyone I knew referred to babies and toddlers as monkeys,

Bit, it's cool to be offended these days. You aren't anybody until you're a victim.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:32:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Some people got nothing better to do than hurt others... but that is a beautiful child you two have made together.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:36:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This.

Growing up, seemingly everyone I knew referred to babies and toddlers as monkeys,

Bit, it's cool to be offended these days. You aren't anybody until you're a victim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

My sister was called monkey until she was 12 or so. I call her son monkey.

i don't think racially. It would never cross my mind that it would be offensive.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:40:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Really?  Cause I happen to think babies are really extra cute when I'm drunk.  And I call babies little monkeys all the time.

Some people just need to feel offended...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  Cause I happen to think babies are really extra cute when I'm drunk.  And I call babies little monkeys all the time.

Some people just need to feel offended...

Screen name is appropriate
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:45:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Assholes.  The world is full of them, man.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:46:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
*shunned*  

I do what I want.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:46:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Do African American folks get butt hurt when I call my 1/2 Colombian / 1/2 Gringa daughter "monkey"?   I've been calling her that since the day she was born.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I've been told calling my 1/2 Irish, 1/2 Nicaraguan kids "McSpics" is racist. Right here on arfcom. Neither the Mc nor the spic in this household are offended. We also call them Latin Leprechauns. Nobody gets offended by that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:49:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I do what I want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*shunned*  

I do what I want.

"I've wasted tiiiiiiiime........"
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:51:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Calling your own child or relative a little monkey is one thing, it's affectionate. I've done the same.

It would never cross my mind to be passing stranger on the street and say "look at that little monkey".

Drunk guys doing it towards a bi-racial infant makes it just fine though, right?

I'm as racist as anyone and I'd never even think of saying something like that in that circumstance.
View Quote

You say bi-racial, but the kid looks white.  It's not like he was carrying a mini Serena Williams.  

Assuming it's racist is just product of the times I suppose.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:52:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

It would be difficult to tell the kid was bi-racial, let alone half black.  I say that as a sober person who has had babies of their own.

Now tell me a drunk idiot at a fair could tell that so easily.

Where I am from it is a common way to refer to kids, yes even strangers' kids.  Nobody gets butthurt about it.  Do you refrain from using all
terms other than healthy, well adjusted infant when talking to others so as not to maybe, possibly offend them?  Because by your
standards that may be one of the only acceptable and non-offensive ways to avoid offending everyone all at once in all circumstances.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:01:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You say bi-racial, but the kid looks white.  It's not like he was carrying a mini Serena Williams.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The OP now needs to get some obnoxious visible tattoos so he can have yet another thing to be prepared to get righteously indignant about.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:02:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:09:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:19:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
some people might consider the fact that he was with a black woman "a clue"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be difficult to tell the kid was bi-racial, let alone half black.  I say that as a sober person who has had babies of their own.

Where I am from it is a common way to refer to kids, yes even strangers' kids.  Nobody gets butthurt about it.  Do you refrain from using all
terms other than healthy, well adjusted infant when talking to others so as not to maybe, possibly offend them?  Because by your
standards that may be one of the only acceptable and non-offensive ways to avoid offending everyone all at once in all circumstances.

She was walking behind him, with her mother.  And the guys who made the comment were apparently visibly drunk.

Drunks are notorious for their critical thinking and situational awareness now, are they?

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:21:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Same here. I was called a little monkey many times as a child.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. I was called a little monkey many times as a child.

Same.  I have 2 little ones.  Normally it's the women-folk who use that sort of pet name, though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:25:11 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OP said that she was walking a few feet behind him. It could have been a racist comment but OP's wife also could have just overreacted. The baby doesn't really look black to me.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:26:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Nevermind the haters, OP. Beautiful family you have there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:29:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Sorry for your pain and upset, OP.

All babies are beautiful.  Skin color is irrelevant.  Her mind and soul will be her crowning beauty.  Raise her to be a strong and Godly person.

God Bless!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:31:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Also, if you are shown 100 babies of white, black, and biracial parents, you'll probably won't be able to tell which ones are which in many of the cases at that age.

If he hadn't mentioned it, I couldn't tell if OP's kid is biracial.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We called my niece the little monkey or a variation thereof until she was 3-4yo. We are about as white bread as it comes.

Also, if you are shown 100 babies of white, black, and biracial parents, you'll probably won't be able to tell which ones are which in many of the cases at that age.

If he hadn't mentioned it, I couldn't tell if OP's kid is biracial.

Neither could I.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:34:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Fuck them!! Congrats on the cute baby!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:44:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Man, fuck those guys.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:50:34 AM EDT
[#47]
We adopted both of our kids. Our son is from Africa and our daughter is biracial. My wife is Irish with red hair and freckles and I probably look like Powder, just with more hair, because I have a mild sun allergy. We get comments all the time. ALL THE TIME. People have said we adopted our son so he could be our 'chauffeur' or 'house slave' and others have come right out and asked why we got a n*gger baby when there are white kids that need help.

People have started laughing within earshot of us and said things like, "I can't believe he stayed with her anyway." "Maybe he's colorblind or something." and "Maybe the dad is actually an albino black man."  That was a recent one at the grocery store.

If we go out as a family three times a week you can be sure that someone will be an asshole at least once.

If my black son walks away from me to look at something in the store and mind you . . . he's 8, he will come back being followed more often than not. He also gets questions even if I'm standing right there, like 'Where are your parents? What are you doing? Do you have money to pay for that?"

It's ridiculous. It's real. I see it happen so often that it turns my stomach. A grown ass man told my little boy he was so black he looked like a 'struck match' and that if he didn't smile in the dark and kept his eyes closed then he'd be invisible. That was at a restaurant buffet a while back. I'm teaching my son to ignore this shit and not to reply back, but I followed that guy into the bathroom and told him exactly what I thought of him and what would happen if he said another word to my kid.

And no, I'm not sharing this for attention or sympathy. I'm sharing because racism, whether you want to believe it or not, is alive and well and thriving. I've mentioned a few of these instances years ago. It still happens. Too often. It's repulsive.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:53:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We adopted both of our kids. Our son is from Africa and our daughter is biracial. My wife is Irish with red hair and freckles and I probably look like Powder, just with more hair, because I have a mild sun allergy. We get comments all the time. ALL THE TIME. People have said we adopted our son so he could be our 'chauffeur' or 'house slave' and others have come right out and asked why we got a n*gger baby when there are white kids that need help.

People have started laughing within earshot of us and said things like, "I can't believe he stayed with her anyway." "Maybe he's colorblind or something." and "Maybe the dad is actually an albino black man."  That was a recent one at the grocery store.

If we go out as a family three times a week you can be sure that someone will be an asshole at least once.

If my black son walks away from me to look at something in the store and mind you . . . he's 8, he will come back being followed more often than not. He also gets questions even if I'm standing right there, like 'Where are your parents? What are you doing? Do you have money to pay for that?"

It's ridiculous. It's real. I see it happen so often that it turns my stomach. A grown ass man told my little boy he was so black he looked like a 'struck match' and that if he didn't smile in the dark and kept his eyes closed then he'd be invisible. That was at a restaurant buffet a while back. I'm teaching my son to ignore this shit and not to reply back, but I followed that guy into the bathroom and told him exactly what I thought of him and what would happen if he said another word to my kid.

And no, I'm not sharing this for attention or sympathy. I'm sharing because racism, whether you want to believe it or not, is alive and well and thriving. I've mentioned a few of these instances years ago. It still happens. Too often. It's repulsive.
View Quote

Man, that's terrible.  Keep working on their minds so they don't get affected by the losers who do this stuff.
Raise them in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

God Bless!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:04:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uh huh... sure.

All these evil white people just can't wait to openly insult little old you for your humble behavior.

Don't believe it.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top