Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2016 11:33:49 PM EDT
I got a BGE last week and this was my first big smoke

It is a bone in 8.8 lb Smithfield Pork shoulder from wal mart and I rubbed it with the last 1/3r of a jar of 4+ year old Dillo Dust.

I used BGE lump coal and large chunks of Cherry wood. NO WATER PAN. I got the temp to 260 at 11 am and left it alone. I went out for the afternoon and came home at 5:30 to find it 300 and the meat temp was 209! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

But.. it was still dripping with fat and fell apart when I moved it to foil. Oh my fucking god. My friend was over who is a BBQ connoisseur and him and I agreed it was the best pulled pork both homemade pr professionally either of us have ever had. it was as soft and tender as an oven baked pulled pork, but wonderful smokey flavor and bark like a smoked pork should have.

Both of us were astounded. I over cooked it. It got too hot. It should have been dry. It was simply amazing. It needed no sauce at all. From what Ive read, the BGE has so little airflow that the meat does not get dried out like traditional smokers. I have to agree now that I have witnessed a overcooked juicy juicy juicy pork

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably got to it just as a temp spike happened.

Maybe a small grease fire that self extinguished?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I just clicked to see what prok was.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Should've bought a pellet grill.  Set it and forget it.

209 isn't bad...pork is pretty forgiving. I typically pull mine off at 200-205.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:51:53 PM EDT
[#4]
It's pretty hard to fuck up a piece of meat on an Egg. That said, get a DigiQ if you're going to smoke much where you can't keep tabs on it and 280 is too hot you want 225 or as close as you can get. By the way chunks of Apple wood are fantastic with a shoulder.

Glad it turned out well though.

EDT...I can't tell, do you have the plate setter? If not buy one pronto.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I can be there in under six hours
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I LOVE pork.  That looks really good.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:58:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Threads like this make me wonder if the arfcom good critics have ever actually eaten well prepared food.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I do pulled pork around 325 sometimes on my egg and it comes out great. Don't notice a flavor difference. I do go heavy on the early smoke though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Damn OP, that looks good. Wish we were friends so I would've be invited over to put your meat in my mouth....

Did I make it in before the BGE hate?? Because, haters will always hate.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:13:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks good.  I did this on my cheap weber.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:16:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Smokey mountain or kettle?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:44:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Kettle.  I set it up for offset style cooking and it seems to work pretty well.  Controlling temp with these things can be challenging without mods.  I do ok with it though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:48:10 AM EDT
[#13]
My parents have a XL BGE that I use more than they do (because I show up at their house with meat and cook it for family gatherings).

I'm considering "borrowing" it until they realize it's gone.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:54:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Love me some pulled pork. Would eat.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's pretty hard to fuck up a piece of meat on an Egg. That said, get a DigiQ if you're going to smoke much where you can't keep tabs on it and 280 is too hot you want 225 or as close as you can get. By the way chunks of Apple wood are fantastic with a shoulder.

View Quote

Yep I have the setter
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:08:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Noice OP!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Looks great and I bet tastes great. The Webber kettle is what my friend has and he makes amazing pulled pork but we both agreed that what the bge did was every bit of flavor, but with not even a water pan, softer and juicer than anything he has ever made.

Supposedly the reason is the bge has super low airflow. Low airflow means no drying out. No water pan. Not wrapped in foil. I went to wrap it  in foil but there was no need. It fell apart as I picked it up and was so tender and juicy we just brought it in and put it on the table to eat.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:12:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Love the BGE!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#19]
The crazier thing is my phone never rang wtf bruh?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep I have the setter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep I have the setter

I'd use it with a drip pan just to keep the egg cleaner
Plus it would help with possible hotspots if youre not watching it

Looks very good!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:36:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Question for you guys with BGEs
Did the dealer tell you that using briquettes voided your warranty?
Mine did. He said briquettes could impart a flavor into the ceramic.
Said lump or wood only. And no lighter fluid. I agree with the no lighter fluid. That's what starter cubes and chimneys are for.
But briquettes imparting undesired flavor? I've done plenty of smoking over the years using briquettes and never had a flavor issue. I like them along with wood chunks for longer smokes for the consistancy they provide over lump.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've tried 225 a few times based on the recipe on the amazing ribs website. The stall seems to last forever! I've had lots better succes at 250-260 with no detectable difference in flavor or tenderness.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Love the BGE!

<a href="http://s241.photobucket.com/user/flytosail/media/1c4400978db7f8138ba165dcd1820b5e_zps10aa6ea6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff124/flytosail/1c4400978db7f8138ba165dcd1820b5e_zps10aa6ea6.jpg</a>

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Bi metal thermometers suck. Mine is off 25-50 degrees depending on the temperature. Get a good digital.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I did one on my egg over the 4th of July weekend.

20.5hrs to get it up to 200f.

Fell apart. It was amazing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

20 hours
How big was that thing?

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#26]
BGE makes bbq simple
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Pork shoulder or butt has so much fat it's very forgiving of being overcooked.  

I don't think 200* is an absurd temp for pulled pork that falls apart in your hands.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Y'all overthink your meat too much.

4 degrees sure as hell isn't going to ruin a decent roast.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Should've bought a pellet grill.  Set it and forget it.

209 isn't bad...pork is pretty forgiving. I typically pull mine off at 200-205.
View Quote

That way he can't cook when the power goes out. Sear me a steak at 700 degrees on that pellet grill and we'll talk.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Smoking a pork butt is pretty forgiving. You done good. I use a Auber PID to control the temp on my egg for long cooks. It really makes it easy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Said lump or wood only. And no lighter fluid. I agree with the no lighter fluid. That's what starter cubes and chimneys are for.
But briquettes imparting undesired flavor? I've done plenty of smoking over the years using briquettes and never had a flavor issue. I like them along with wood chunks for longer smokes for the consistancy they provide over lump.

View Quote

No. She said that the briquettes will not taste as good, and will impart that flavor to the ceramic and so suggested not doing it. But said nothing about it voiding anything.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There's enough fat in a pork butt or shoulder to where it's damn near impossible to overcook and mess it up.  It's a delicious, amazingly forgivable piece of meat to cook.  
View Quote

Agreed, but I've "over cooked" to this temp before and wound up having very dry edges. Not so with this. It was as moist as it would have been if foil wrapped the whole time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have used briquettes for short cooks in my egg several times with no issues.  I don't use them as a general rule  but they will do in a pinch if I'm out of lump.

Briquettes create a a lot more ash than lump does, which can become problematic in an egg, especially on long cooks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No. She said that the briquettes will not taste as good, and will impart that flavor to the ceramic and so suggested not doing it. But said nothing about it voiding anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still struggling with it imparting undesired flavor into the ceramic.
If it did that it would do that to food also. And it would be magnified on ribs, brisket, pork butts etc because of the smoke infused into them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I do pulled pork around 325 sometimes on my egg and it comes out great. Don't notice a flavor difference. I do go heavy on the early smoke though.
View Quote

How long at that temp?  I target 225F but then I let the meat come to room temp before I smoke them for 12-24hrs.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have used briquettes for short cooks in my egg several times with no issues.  I don't use them as a general rule  but they will do in a pinch if I'm out of lump.

Briquettes create a a lot more ash than lump does, which can become problematic in an egg, especially on long cooks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point on the ash.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If it did that it would do that to food also. And it would be magnified on ribs, brisket, pork butts etc because of the smoke infused into them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they were match light briquettes, yeah I could see that being an issue, otherwise, no.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#39]
There's no reason no to go higher temps(275-300) with pork in my opinion.  I've noticed no difference than at 225 except for time
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

20 hours
How big was that thing?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 hours
How big was that thing?

10.62lbs.

It followed the 2 hours per pound rule basically.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some dealers will tell you have to use their branded lump or you'll void the warranty.  Both are BS, but don't use the self lighting ones or you will impart a taste and risk getting that crap in your egg.

The bigger issue with briquettes is the taste and ash they produce.  There is less charcoal in "charcoal briquettes" than people think.  They are loaded with anthracite (coal fly ash), limestone, starch, sodium nitrate, softwood & hardwood sawdust, borax, etc.  These produce a lot of off flavors, but moreover, a ton of ash.  After you clean out after briquettes, all that ash that is like flour, comes from the limestone.

A 20# bag of lump, will cook down to a few cups and under 1# of ash. Whereas 20# of briquettes will 4-8# of ash depending on the brand (all depends on how much limestone they use.)  This clogs the BGE since it draws a very small amount from the air from the bottom of the grill.  Even with a replacement firegrate or basket, it will still clog because of the consistency and the fact that there is so much of it.

Plus, briquettes are NOT as great of a value when you look at BTU per pound.  A normal briquette is about 7000-8000 BTU/#, but lump is around 11000 BTU/#.  The volume:weight doesn't matter, it's all about BTU.  Remember, briquettes were popularized by Henry Ford as a way to get rid of industrial waste.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Pulled Pork, the can of chicken noodle soup project for outdoor barbecuers.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

10.62lbs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 hours
How big was that thing?

10.62lbs.

I use 1 hr per lb + 1 additional hour overall as a rule of thumb cooking @ 225-250 and have never had a problem getting a butt to temp @ 200-205 in that amount of time.
It has to be the overall size.
I buy a lot of mine at Costco (boneless) and they come in about 10lb packs but are 2 5lb pieces.
Smaller chunks cooking faster overall with same result.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#44]

The only thing that sucks about everyone getting into smokers

is that the prices of what should be cheap meat are going through the roof.

Brisket and ribs are getting outrageous

thankfully pork butt/shoulder are still reasonable

Looks damn good op!

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

You should have told him "that's ok, I don't plan on eating the grill"
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Pulled Pork, the can of chicken noodle soup project for outdoor barbecuers.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Picture time.

And the results of the 10.62lb pork butt + a small brisket (I think it 5 or 6lbs?)

Edit:

Yes the face for the drawer is missing. I have to re-cut it. The red oak swelled a little bit and I had it fitted too tightly. I also need to go back over some of the corners with wood filler... eventually. Not when it's 95 degrees out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
How long at that temp?  I target 225F but then I let the meat come to room temp before I smoke them for 12-24hrs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cold meat absorbs smoke better.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The only thing that sucks about everyone getting into smokers

is that the prices of what should be cheap meat are going through the roof.

Brisket and ribs are getting outrageous

thankfully pork butt/shoulder are still reasonable

Looks damn good op!

View Quote

They are... but also it's where you buy your meat.  I have to admit, I have't bought a brisket in ages, since we always have them around. (My father and I raise cattle.)  

10.62lb pork butt, from a local butcher only ran me $16 the other day.  Ribs were on sale at the local grocery store earlier this year, flat rate of 79 cents a lb.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top